Are you 23?

Kamikaze

I see.

Namecalling is fun to do when you don't have much else to say.

Its not really name-calling. Just a description of what goes on. All I asked was why it happens.

You're misunderstanding. I never mentioned the companies cost to produce the magazine. Apples-to-apples is to compare the retail cost with what portion of your club membership pays for the magazine and what portion pays for the rest of the club. We don't know the answer. We'll just have to disagree at this point as I'm not sure how to explain it to you beyond what I've already said.

But you're not getting it. If the cost is $64 to buy all 4 issues, then you're only paying an additional $11 to be a member. Even if you assume you can get a 25% discount through B&N coupons, that still leaves the 4 issues at $48, which is $27 for everything else you get as a D23 member.

You're trying to do some strange conversion where the cost isn't really the cost. The only value we have for the magazine is $16 an issue. That leaves $11. Yes, it costs Disney less. But we don't see any of those savings. We just get everything else that is offered for $11. Would it be less than $64 if it was just a subscription for the magazine? Sure, but they aren't going to offer that.

WDW1974

I see.

Namecalling is fun to do when you don't have much else to say.

I think you have a perfect grasp on the situation.

Frankly, there are some folks who seem to think it's perfectly OK here to call others 'Communists' ... to suggest they put their real names and personal information online to prove to them they know what they are talking about ... and infer that they know 'things' about people beyond what is put out here.

Now ... maybe they do so because they are bored little fanbois looking to get a rise from someone. That's likely the case. But either way, it isn't cool at all and if other more innocuous statements disappear in the dark of night, one might think that more serious transgressions be dealt with as firmly.

I really think the moderators need to take a bit of a better handle on the leash so to speak ... I know 'beloved' characters such as merf and enigma got sliced off this site and while I don't know the circumstances, I am reasonably confident they didn't engage in the above BS.

Ausdaddy

But you're not getting it. If the cost is $64 to buy all 4 issues, then you're only paying an additional $11 to be a member. Even if you assume you can get a 25% discount through B&N coupons, that still leaves the 4 issues at $48, which is $27 for everything else you get as a D23 member.

You're trying to do some strange conversion where the cost isn't really the cost. The only value we have for the magazine is $16 an issue. That leaves $11. Yes, it costs Disney less. But we don't see any of those savings. We just get everything else that is offered for $11. Would it be less than $64 if it was just a subscription for the magazine? Sure, but they aren't going to offer that.

As I've stated, you're not grasping what I'm saying and I'm not going to keep explaining it.

MKCP 1985

I am D23.

I figured it would look good in my obituary. Son, brother, husband, father, and charter member of D23. :lol:

No, seriously - you guys are waaay overthinking this. The cost isn't THAT much money by Disney standards and there IS value. Whether the value is worth the cost is an individual choice. The club isn't for everybody (hence the question: Are YOU D23?) and being a member or not doesn't make you a better person, but I am D23 and happy for it.

I am looking forward to what the club provides. If it doesn't pan out, its easy enough to non-renew and write off the investment as taking a chance on an idea.

Ausdaddy

I am D23.

I figured it would look good in my obituary. Son, brother, husband, father, and charter member of D23. :lol:

No, seriously - you guys are waaay overthinking this. The cost isn't THAT much money by Disney standards and there IS value. Whether the value is worth the cost is an individual choice. The club isn't for everybody (hence the question: Are YOU D23?) and being a member or not doesn't make you a better person, but I am D23 and happy for it.

I am looking forward to what the club provides. If it doesn't pan out, its easy enough to non-renew and write off the investment as taking a chance on an idea.

Good post. You're right, it's an individual choice and I am overthinking it, but I do that with every Disney trip I book so why stop there? :lol:

Wilt Dasney

No, seriously - you guys are waaay overthinking this.
bingo-pic2.gif

I've wanted to chime in more on this issue, and the whole 23 vs. 64 business, but I think that expresses my thoughts pretty nicely.

I don't see the need to lead a resistance uprising a la Braveheart on this. All you have to do is not buy it.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Well said. Out of respect to Steve, I normally don't post links to my (pawltry) site, but I did put up my opinion of the whole shebang here.
A) Agree wholeheartedly! and,

B) Have your paltry site bookmarked for future reference. :king:

:sohappy:

Captain Chaos

Well said. Out of respect to Steve, I normally don't post links to my (pawltry) site, but I did put up my opinion of the whole shebang here.

Great read... Makes me almost want to join D23 now... Still debating though... I have an annual pass that is due for renewing soon... And thanks to the DVC I get a doscount on that LOL

Kamikaze

As I've stated, you're not grasping what I'm saying and I'm not going to keep explaining it.

And as I've said, why would it matter what value Disney puts on the subscription? All that matters is the price you are paying, which is either $16 an issue or $75 for the D23 membership. You still haven't answered why exactly it matters what price Disney assigns to it internally. We're not paying the internal price. Of course Disney makes money on the deal. They wouldn't run it if they didn't. But I don't understand why you think its such a big deal what they 'say' the price of the subscription is. The only number you're ever going to get officially on that is $64 a year.

Anyway. Its $6.25 a month. Thats (less than) one stop at McDonald's a month. If you don't think its worth that, then hey, have fun.
edit: And yes, I realize its way different internationally.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Nice site, and nice editorial comment/link to this site! :wave:
If you'll forgive the editorializing, WDWMagic is the favorite online haunt of the MousePortal web guru (yes, even over his own site). It offers a comprehensive set of tools for planning your Disney vacation, including countdown timers, weather information, rehabs and closures, discussion forums, and more.

jakeman

If someone chooses to not believe the facts, they're choosing ignorance, which is a town many people enjoy living in.
Not really. They are making a decision based on the evidence provided that the person presented the material is trustworthy enough to have their facts be taken. With regards to you, the evidence is not there for me. That is my choice and you may be correct, but at this point, I am not convinced you say who you are. That's my deal not yours.

C'mon, you do realize how dumb that sounds, don't you?

Debate is all about opinion ... sometimes you're lucky and get a few facts tossed in ... and there are people who still won't listen even if you put facts out there. They'd rather believe what a bus driver told them or what they saw on another fan forum.
Then it is not a debate worth having. Saying one opinion is valid and the other is not based on no facts is ridiculous and doesn't forward any conversation. You and I can go back and forth all day on the number of people upset about dining prices, but unless we have data then the point is moot.

When you accuse someone of namedropping and (or do what that UK poster did and ASSume that I was unhappy with D23 because Disney doesn't show loyalty to its best customers) then it certainly IS personal.
It may be an accusation, but it is grounded in fact, but what you have quoted me here is taken out of context. I never accused you about calling D23 a failure. Apologies if I inadvertantly did. I did say that you namedrop and I will stand behind that.

As to the baiting part, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Here let me quote it for you:
WDW1974 said:
~Marty Sklar grills a great burger!~

If you have something to say, just say it.
I have been.

WDW1974 said:
Just because you have complaints with say a loved one ... it doesn't make you not love them anymore (or maybe in your case it does, I dunno).
WDW isn't a loved one. It is a place run by a corporation. To hold a place in such high regard as a family member is unfortunate. Maybe that is just me.

jakeman

Also, just wanted to mention that I looked into Disney 23 this weekend and I don't think it is something that I will be partaking in. I'll probably pick up the magazine at Barnes & Noble, but the joining price and extra merchandise is not worth it.

The magazine is great though. I thought it was very high quality and very well done. I'll definately be picking it up quarterly.

I don't think it is a failure, but the extras after the magazine aren't worth it.

MattyFresh

I saw the mag in a Disney store over the weekend. It was very nice. Might even be something to hold on as a possible collectible:shrug:

But I will pick one up just to get a look at it, then I will decide if I will keep buying the mag or not.

Disneyson 1

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy: Amazing!!! You hit it home, great comments about D64 and the club itself. Just great.

P.S. My new favorite quote:

"We all know that there are those out there who absolutely cannot be happy with Disney. Imagineering could reopen Horizons, and have Dreamfinder doing the samba with Jesus Christ at the dedication ceremony… the next day, people would be on the forums complaining that they should have done the tango instead."

dandaman

I know 'beloved' characters such as merf and enigma got sliced off this site and while I don't know the circumstances, I am reasonably confident they didn't engage in the above BS.

Far as I know Merf's last post was telling Steve to grow a pair... don't know about Enigma though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom