A Whole New World: An October 2012 Trip Report

Alternately titled the “We’re those people now!” trip report!

Well hello there, wdwmagic, please allow me to introduce myself. I’m hollybelle. And, once upon a time, I was not the mother of a little pint sized pirate baby. And in those days (despite what I may have thought then), I had all the time in the world to write trip reports, stalk trip reports, comment on trip reports, and daydream about trip reports; in other words, overdose on all things trip reports. It was one of my daily addictions.

These days, I delight in small personal victories when it comes to “free” time. Showers and sleep (and laundry and cleaning) almost always win out when those heavenly little slices of quietness drift my way. So to all my wdwmagic friends, please accept my humblest of apologies for not commenting on each of your reports over the last year. It is seriously shocking to think I dropped off the face of the trip reports forum that long ago. While I may not be commenting, I have at least been lurking in the shadows, like the creepiest of creepers. Violet (my iPad) has been my trusty sidekick lately and while she makes it easy to peruse the interwebs during all those late night feedings with Lucas, typing up comments is another thing entirely.

Luckily for me, during a couple slow days here and there at work I was able to carve out some time to write this trip report {{that was in December – sadly it took another two months to find the time to upload photos and post}}. It was very important to me that I find the time to write it, because it feels like a big milestone in the story that is our lives. I mean, I wrote about our engagement, our wedding, and Lucas’ birth. Writing about his very first trip to the World certainly qualifies as a “must” in my book!

IMG_8508e5x7.jpg

Who: The handsome little Ohana pictured above (taken in November when Lucas was around four months old)
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter
When: October 12-16, 2012
Why: Because we couldn’t wait to introduce our little man to the happiest place on earth

::SPOILER ALERT:: It wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows! Even though we thought we had adjusted our expectations accordingly prior to the trip, we quickly learned they needed further adjusting upon arrival. This trip was about small victories for us. And I hope you enjoy sharing in those, as well as getting a good laugh out of our missteps in parenthood, as you read along. Brett and I like to think we’re Disney veterans and know all there is to know about our happy place, but with a three month old baby in tow… it was a whole new world!

I had all intentions of photographing every single second of this trip. But, you know, best laid plans and all that. Instead, I’m now doing my best to string together enough shots to tell the story. I’d say it’s a regret, but in truth, we were just trying our best to survive. Hah. Let the adventure begin.

imagination30

welcome back holly... , indeed agree with everyone the pic of lucas are priceless.. exspecially the one with sabasitian... and the look!

angieandtrevor

I couldn't resist!

That's true! If you want your little ones to know how to behave in public and handle traveling the way you do you just gotta get them out there and show 'em. My mother-in-law always told me she tried to work her babies' schedules and teach them so that it would be easy for anyone to step in and maintain in her absence. That was good advice. I always tried to do things so the baby's "norm" was as simple as possible. This doesn't end with baby-hood either. My mother-in-law also told me she tried to raise her boys with the thought that she someday wanted her daughter-in-laws to really like her. Um, yeah! Tracey taught ME to cook. He taught ME to iron. I never have to ask him to help clean the kitchen or that sort of thing. I never had to ask him to do anything with the boys when they were babies. It all fell into place. Well, and he used to get the occasional phone call from his mom telling him she thought he needed to tighten up more. So funny! He'd call and ask, "Have you been talking to my mother???" Nope. She did that stuff on her own. LOL! But that's how I continue to try to raise my boys. I teach 'em all the little things including awareness so that someday my daughter-in-laws will appreciate me the way I do Tracey's mom! And I'll prob'ly call 'em every once in a while to do my mom thing then, too. Just a little mother/son thing I couldn't not say to my moms-of-sons compadres out there. ;)

What I miss is sitting "Indian style" and being able to lay their curled up little bundled bodies in the crook of my legs. I would like to offer that even though you don't get to hold them to your bosom as they get older the way you did when they were your little babies, the moments to hold and rock them have not vanished completely for me and you both know that's pretty astounding considering the size of my oldest "baby". At least once a day at least they will come to me for some Mom. Now that they're older sometimes it's them coming to give me the kiss and cuddle. Can you imagine being held and rocked by your little bundles??? Eventually, that happens. If I'm upset or crying over whatever trivial thing sets me off one or both will come to me to comfort me. It is exactly like the Robert Munsch book "I Love You Forever". I get to hold them near to me which they now do in return to me and it's every bit as magical a mommy-moment as it is when you're snuggling your little bundles close to your heart. It never ends, girls. Don't be too sad.

Oh! Secret mom confession that I'm sure I would could get killed for! Brian still gives me that looks sometimes that says, "Talk to me like you used to." It's a smile and a way he does his eyes. So I'll hug him close and smooth his hair back and whisper sweet baby-talk telling him he's my "Boo" and he's my baby always and stuff. He even does little baby talk moments back when he says real soft, "Always", or "you're my mommy always". It's really sweet. He doesn't really hide it as much in front of Chandler or Tracey. He's super discreet with it in front of anyone else. It won't be as obvious but he'll peck me on the cheek or put an arm around my shoulders and whisper a little something to me. They're always our babies, y'all. Always.

Awe, thanks Kelly !! I read your reports and I love all the sweet and kind things that your boys do so I know there is hope :) It was funny because right after I wrote this post Oliver walked over to me, climbed up on my lab and gave me a big hug. It was like he knew his mama needed a little reassurance that he will forever be my baby. Trevor and I have always said that if we do nothing else right in our lives we are really going to try our best to raise our little boy to become a kind, loving and honest young man. I was one proud mom last week when I got his semi-annual report from daycare; the last line read that he has been such a wonderful role model for the other children in his class. Of course we think he is awesome but it is so nice when you hear it from someone else, kinda makes you feel like you must be doing a little something right :) :) :)

Heatherbell

I don't usually post...I am more the lurking type. However your posts nearly brought me to tears. We are THOSE people too!!!!! We visited Disney many a times before kiddos and never thought we would ever be "like them". But we are, times 2. Aiden and Amelia have visited Disney several times in their short 2 and 4 years of life. Most of the time it is a catastrophe and most nights end with me on a park bench in tears. But we are making memories and thats what is most important. I truly "have been there" and my heart goes out to you. You are doing a great job. One thing I have learned from parenting is; forget what everyone else thinks, anyone who matters wouldn't pass judgement anyhow. Can't wait to read the rest of your trip report!

Tidbit

IMG_8508e5x7.jpg

Who: The handsome little Ohana pictured above (taken in November when Lucas was around four months old)

OMG!!! Where have "I" been to have totally missed the fact that 1. you "were" pregnant, 2. he was born, and 3. his 1st WDW trip!!! Oh yeah I remember planning Disney vacations for others! LOL!!! Oh the life of a travel agent! LOL!!! Anyway, CONGRATS!!! CONGRATS!!! I can't wait to read all about his 1st trip!! He is soooo cute too!!!

HopLow

Yay, welcome back, Hollybelle!!! Your little boy is just the cutest ever! He looks like a perfect mix of you and Brett. You guys are super brave to head to the World with such a little one, but I know that if I had a kiddo, I'd be chomping at the bit to get there, too! Congrats on your lovely little Ohana!! :)

TakeMeThere81

Hi Holly! So go figure, you have little time to interact on the boards and as soon as you write a trip report, we all maul you with comments to reply to! ;) You guys are doing a great job as parents. It can be tough, but you are doing great!

First, I love how Kelly put it (post #37). She basically articulated the feelings I was having as I read through your report (I am as far as the fateful boat ride your second evening). Our first trip to The World June 2007, we toted 3 kids, ages 6 3/4, almost 3 and 18 months. We must have been nuts! We had tons of stuff too, a packed stroller, and it was much harder than we thought. But I have really fond memories as well.

Your poor sick baby-I just felt bad for him! I'm glad you found another daycare center!

Your image of Brett "schlepping" all of your gear up to the room while you fed and soothed Lucas was SO familiar! I had to smile picturing him doing that, bags strapped to him at all angles!

So the adventures of WDW with babies and kids. It is a whole new world! You do lower your expectations and go through a wild ride of emotions at times. I am glad you explained it so honestly. It happens! Try not to feel guilty, you aren't trying to make your baby fussy. It is true what impact little comments from other guests can make, for the positive OR the negative. I remember sweet-meaning ladies would say jokingly "Did you pinch that baby?" with a cute smile on their faces when ours were fussy. Each time, I came REALLY close to pinching them! I am like you. If I see a fussy kid or baby, I usually just think of somehow that I can encourage the parents. Either I play peek-a-boo with the child or offer something to help, when appropriate.You are right, sometimes saying "Hey, we've all been there..." with a knowingly understanding smile helps.

"...we're those people now!" Hey welcome to the club! We're all a little nuts!!

Disneyfalcon

Don't worry at all about a fussy baby on a boat or bus. Anyone there with half an ounce of sense knows it can't be avoided sometimes!
The first pictures with Goofy and Donald also sum up a first trip pretty well! :)
I love your reports, Holly!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Holly. Ugh. Where to begin??? I know! First, I've missed you soooo but I know you're on the Momma journey so I always wish happy things for you in spite of my missin' ya. I think what I've missed most is the way you capture the little moments. All the little things. Makes me remember things I hadn't thought of in so many years. Tough road trips. Overwhelming emotional moments ((when Chandler was itty bitty I kid you not, he'd cry and I'd cry sometimes)). Sadness over losing the simple child-free days and joy for all the beautiful moments that never would have been had your little angel not joined your Ohana. Being able to look at a pic of your baby and see that he's not well. We have a set of portraits like that. Never liked them. Took me a few years to realize it's because my baby looks unhappy and unwell. Not being able to eat a meal together when you most want to. We still swear this is part of the hospital training these little guys get before we take them home: "If you smell food it's time to cry." LOL! And you're so right, our little babies do change and become different in such a short period of time. I look back now and don't remember a lot of the little things so readily but then I read a Holly report and the moments all flood back. Thank you for that.

I love that you are "those people". Don't worry so much about what others think. They'll get over it or die of it. Don't let worrying about others stress you. It's your turn. You've listened to crying babies before and you will again. Lucas is taking his turn. It's okay. But, I hear ya on the words of encouragement. Chandler was the worst with tantrums and sometimes I thought his fits in public would be the death of me. Best moment ever was when he was in a total hysterical fit in the middle of a bustling mall (you know, where the screams freakin' echo), I was waiting it out, and a couple of elderly ladies came over to me. They patted my shoulder softly, smiled sweetly, and said, "You're doing a great job, sweetie. Hang in there." To this day, that means everything. Truly.

Kudos to you and Brett for taking Lucas even for the difficult infant age when you have to haul half the house around and actually do so little. You've got him out there. You're little Ohana is on the move. That's AWESOME! Wanna give that some perspective? When the boys were that little I was terrified to leave home with them by myself. Too many things could happen that I was afraid I couldn't handle alone. I would've had a heart attack at the thought of taking them to WDW even with 2 of us. You guys are the shiz, woman! I've said it before and I'll say it again, my only regret with Chandler & Brian is that we didn't do what it took to bring them earlier. We were the parents who refused to do strollers. And look at all we missed! So here ya go: pat on the shoulder, sweet smile..."You're doing a great job, sweetie." That goes for both of you!

I liked the LeFou's Brew, too! Tracey didn't like it. Chandler smelled it then refused to try it. Brian ditched us and wasn't anywhere in the vicinity to have any input. Yay! More for ME! Wish we'd have been able to *see* more of the New Fantasyland. When we were there it was jam-packed with people. Hard to really take in the area when you're weaving the sea of humanity. ((sad face))

Love love loving all the little details even if you didn't take pictures of it all. Your readers get where you are. You tell a vibrant tale, for sure. Hangin' on every word as always. Thanks for the time and effort, sweetie. :)

Awww, Kelly, thanks for all of that. I'm blushing over here! Isn't it amazing how the kind words (or not so kind words) of a stranger in a moment like that can really stick with you? I know I need to let it go and worry less about what others think, but it's just in my nature. In fact, I need to carry that over into every aspect of my life, not just parenting.

As for being terrified to leave the house with a little one? For me it's not about being terrified and all about debating whether or not it's worth the effort. And I know it's always worth the effort, but seriously, sometimes a trip to Target just feels utterly exhausting! It's just easier to stay home, you know? Plus, I always tell myself he's happier at home, so that makes it easier to stay in, as well. As the weather gets nicer though, I've vowed to make more of an effort to get out with him.

And yeah, LeFou and his Brew are tops in my book!

We took Brett for the first time when he was 2. Almost 3. While I was potty training. And I was so afraid of losing him, I was one of THOSE people who put their kid on a harness. He was always so curious, I knew he would wander off. (As a matter of fact, he did wander off when he was 6 and was lost for a good 15-20 min). He spent the entire time going to the end of his "leash" and barking at people in line like he was a puppy. He loved the harness. It was totally embarrassing, but at least he wasn't screaming like I've seen kids do. AND when he was 5, I still rented him a stroller in the afternoons. Yes. I was one of those people as well. The mom who puts their toddler on a leash, and their 5 year old in a stroller. But even as a kindergartener, the miles and miles we walk in a week at Disney is very hard. And they get tired easily, and even more easily cranky. SO unless you want to spend half of your vacation in your room, you get them a stroller when they are tired. Parenting is all about survival most of the time! So, congratulations, you are still WAAAAAAY behind me in the "we are those people" department :) (He no longer uses a stroller though, in case anyone is wondering lolol).

Does Babby go everywhere with you guys? I see him all over the place! He is a well traveled giraffe! We have a moose. His name is Mr. Snugger Moose. My cousin bought him at a Harry & David store in Destin, and he is a solid member of the family now. (And completely disgusting I might add from being drug all over the place and drooled upon).

And I totally feel for you with the having to take turns to eat! Its like, they have a sensor connected to your mouth. That whenever its time to eat, they suddenly are crying. That sensor is ALSO on the back of Mommy's head, so everytime she lies down, it goes off. Absolute madness.

So, Megan? I totally laughed out loud as I was reading your reply. I promise I'm not laughing at you. One day, oh one day not so long ago, I may have been laughing at you. The images of little Brett on a leash barking at park goers had me in stitches. As much as I may not want to admit it, I was probably one of those people who was secretly judging you as you walked by. Not anymore! And OMG... first trip WHILE potty training? Seriously, woman, I cannot imagine!

Lucas and Babby the Giraffe came home from the hospital together. They share a birthday! My mom picked out the tall guy for Lucas' safari inspired nursery and what's even better? He doubles as a sound machine - and lemme just tell you, he's not just Lucas' best friend, but ours too. We wouldn't have survived the first three months without his powers of sleep persuasion. The Babby you see pictured here is actually a smaller travel version of the big guy (who often appears in my instagrams). But, shhhhhh, don't tell Lucas we have a Babby and a Baby Babby... it helps with keeping him clean. ;)

Hi Holly!

Welcome back! I've been a longtime WDWmagic lurker and just happened to stumble upon your wedding trip report back in the summer. That may have led me to read all of your other trip reports :rolleyes:. I just love your commentary and your beautiful family. Lucas is adorable and I can't wait to read more of his adventure!!

Thank you! I"m a lurker these days myself. Oh my... I can't imagine how many hours you lost to my long-winded trip reports! Hopefully they helped to pass the time at work. :) I know that's what I used to do when I had more free time at work.

Holly! Welcome back, girlie! Motherhood definitely agrees with you!

Now...I'm not a mom so take this for what it's worth...but I think it's a good thing to be "those people" when it comes to Disney. Yeah you've got a lot of baggage and have to give up ADRs and take turns walking Lucas...BUT that's good parenting! It's the people who think they can get by just holding the baby 100% of the time (sans stroller/carrier) and say "hey I'm hungry we're gonna enjoy our lunch together and let our baby cry" kind of people that should be classified as "those." Babies need lots of stuff! I actually like taking the big stroller when I take my nephew shopping because I can store all my stuff in it! But seriously...good parents in Disney - yep you are THOSE people! :)

Can't wait to experience New Fantasyland in a month! I'm a little jealous that Lucas...an infant...has gotten to see The New Fantasyland before me! Unfair! Lol!!! I'm excited to hear how his 2nd trip went!

I'll be ever so patiently (;)) waiting to read more! Great start! Glad to have you back, Holly!

Jess!!! I've missed our chats. Thanks for all the kind words - it does help to come in here and read all these great replies about being "those" people! It quickly became an unspoken joke to us after awhile. We'd just look at each other and laugh when we'd do something. Oh well! You win some you lose some.

The second trip was easier and better, but didn't involve much park time. Hopefully I get to it this century! I may really have to rethink my reporting style. Less words, more pictures. Of course, I say this all the time and then just can't seem to help myself.

Sooooo... when's the trip planned for next month?! Give me dates! You know I'm always scheming and planning a good return trip!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Woohoo! Welcome back!

You all are a very handsome Ohana indeed! I love Lucas' little striped bodysuits.

Your daycare story...poor Lucas, and poor you and Brett. I'm sure that was incredibly frustrating. I'm irritated on your behalf. WHY would a person come into work sick?? Glad you guys found a new place.

Love Lucas' mirror shots and the Mickey sleeves on his car seat! They remind me of your camera straps...present from grandma??

Shannon! Long time, no talk. ;)

So you picked up on my affinity for stripes?!? Mama likes stripes! And as you might well notice, I wear my fair share of stripes, too. Honestly? Attire for little boys is seriously lacking in my opinion. It seems that you have three main options: sports/animals/transportation. Of the three, I gravitate towards animals, because neither cars nor sports are really my thing, and they both seem so cliche for a little guy. I mean, what if we're raising the lead singer of a band and he wants nothing to do with a baseball bat?

You're very observant... Grandma whipped up those strap covers and surprised us with them the evening we left. Get this... she made them out of an old-school sleeper she found at a thrift store. That lady, she's a keeper!

I'm with you on the creeps at POFQ. I think the resort looks so nice and I've heard great things about it, but all of the clowns or whatever they are just CREEP ME OUT.

Okay, I had a total airhead moment...when I read about "exciting things on the horizon" for you guys I immediately was like "OMG, they're having another baby!"...oh wait, that's not it. DUH. :D I hear you on the DDP too. We had it for a couple of trips awhile back (which was kind of fun because we felt like we were back in college, just swiping for our meals), but since then we've been paying out of pocket and using Tables in Wonderland, and we like it much better. I'd love to keep doing that, but I know we won't have APs forever.

After our most recent trip, I want a Duffy too! At least you can use Lucas as your excuse...I have none. Just a late 20-year-old that wants a super-soft teddy bear.

Aaaaaaaaaagh! No babies in the oven over here. It's funny that this was your first guess.:D

I never thought about the DDP as being like in college, but you know? Going through some of those quick service lines and handing over a card to be swiped did feel a bit like I was back in a dining hall.

Have no shame... Duffy is only one of the most popular selling plush for a reason? He's one cute bear.

Glad you liked LeFou's brew. I barely tasted the apple at all when I tried it. Mine seemed like it was all mango...maybe I got a bad glass? I think butterbeer wins for me. Honesty, I'm a wee bit jealous that you were able to go into New Fantasyland not really knowing what to expect. I tried hard to avoid pictures, videos, other opinions, etc. but I definitely had some preconceived ideas of what to expect when we were there in person for the first time, both of the land as a whole and of the Little Mermaid ride.

Wow, your M&G pictures in Storybook Circus look great, even with the horrendous lighting! Did your external flash help with that, or editing, or something different? Just the magical power of Monstro? Love the Donald shot...that is HILARIOUS.

THIS PICTURE. DEAD. Love it...Lucas' expression is perfect.

You know, I think this is the first trip report I've read from someone who took a baby to WDW. Really interesting info on the baby care centers, good places to change diapers, etc. I really love your honesty and hate that you feel like people were judging you guys. It's really a good reminder to those of us that don't (yet) have kids to think about it from the parents' perspective, especially if they're obviously doing the best they can (as you guys were).

Glad to have you back and hope things are going well for you and the boys!

Hmmm... I didn't get mango at all from the brew? In fact, I didn't even know mango was involved. I do love it though, so maybe I just can't identify my fruits very well.

As for Storybook Circus, I think the first thing that helped was Monstro's specifications. He's one fine specimen. ISO goes up to 6400 and I had a nice wide aperture lens on (Sigma 30mm). I didn't have my external flash with me. With all the extra baggage it didn't make it out of the room that weekend, although this was one of those moments when I was really wishing I'd had it. I shoot in RAW and I think that's what semi-saved my photos because I remember having to adjust the white balance a lot due to the super warm/red lighting. The cynic in me believes Disney is creating these poor lighting photo ops because it results in more photopass purchases. Just me? Maybe it's just me! ;)

You know, I don't think I've read any trip reports with babies, either. I've read a lot of good ones with toddlers and little ones, but not infants. Who knows, maybe this will help someone else whose thinking of taking an infant one day.

It's good to be back!

Oh Holly, I am loving your report !! I almost feel like you are telling our story :) Fast forward 2 years and you will be traveling with the best little boy. I really mean that !! We have always been the type of parents who take their little one everywhere they go (well; within reason of course) but we never wanted to be the family that ever disrupted anyone else so we were always very conscience of that. Well let me tell you it was the best thing we have every done because we can take Mr. O with us anywhere and he is "almost" always a perfect little boy. I truly believe that it has to do with what you get them accustomed to. We love to travel and we can see that Oliver shares that love with us, which is a good thing since we may have had to trade him in, lol.

I can't believe how itty bitty Lucas looks in these pictures. The thing I miss the most about that age is how their little bum curled out when you picked them up. I miss those moments :( The older they get the less cuddles you get however I am not afraid to admit that I still go in Oliver's room after he has fallen asleep just so I can pick him up to rock him just for a few minutes......a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do !!

Can't wait to read more.....oh and it was well worth the wait

I always appreciate your insight, Angie. And I may have said this before, but your instagram feed is always like a little glimpse into my future. And I like what I see! :) I vaguely recall you planning Oliver's first cruise way back when we exchanged a couple emails. At the time I thought how cool it was that you were taking him so young. Lucas' first cruise is on the books - here's to hoping we can keep that reservation when it comes around next fall.

Looking at these pictures is crazy to me, too. He's a completely different kid now. And yeah, the little guy isn't feeling well this morning and he totally let me hold him for a solid half hour after he ate. I relish in those moments.

Welcome back Holly!! Loving your trip report as always! Your pictures of Lucas are just precious. I don't have kids, so I can't speak from experience, but you guys sound like you are doing everything right! Yes, some people may say that you shouldn't bring an infant but you guys let him dictate the schedule rather than vice versa. We always see so many people where they have little kids and infants out for evening EMH and everyone is just miserable. I think people sometimes lose sight of the fact that if you want to go with infants and kids you have to make adjustments. Don't let the people making the snarky comments bother you. Luckily, you will probably never see that person again, so who cares what they think. I know, easier said than done when in that situation. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your 'Ohana!

Thanks, Kristy! I just started reading your race report... hello, Goofy challenger!

I'm totally with you on letting him dictate the schedule. This is one of the reasons we didn't end up with much park time on our most recent trip. Between trips one and two we established a better bedtime routine, which means he's usually down by 7:30-8:00. Instead of pushing it, we were back in the room by this time. I'm sure we'll try to stretch it sometimes, but I think it's good to maintain some sort of schedule, as best as possible anyway.

Welcome Back!!!! (I sure miss the old clapping smiley) Love the report, it's perfectly titled and a great read so far. Your little redhead is one of the most gorgeous babies of all time. How unfortunate that he wasn't feeling well on his first trip.

Siobhan! Thanks. I may just have a thing for redheads now. And I really hope his hair stays this color. There's already a big difference between the color it was on this trip and now. It's less auburn and more strawberry blonde.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I couldn't resist!

That's true! If you want your little ones to know how to behave in public and handle traveling the way you do you just gotta get them out there and show 'em. My mother-in-law always told me she tried to work her babies' schedules and teach them so that it would be easy for anyone to step in and maintain in her absence. That was good advice. I always tried to do things so the baby's "norm" was as simple as possible. This doesn't end with baby-hood either. My mother-in-law also told me she tried to raise her boys with the thought that she someday wanted her daughter-in-laws to really like her. Um, yeah! Tracey taught ME to cook. He taught ME to iron. I never have to ask him to help clean the kitchen or that sort of thing. I never had to ask him to do anything with the boys when they were babies. It all fell into place. Well, and he used to get the occasional phone call from his mom telling him she thought he needed to tighten up more. So funny! He'd call and ask, "Have you been talking to my mother???" Nope. She did that stuff on her own. LOL! But that's how I continue to try to raise my boys. I teach 'em all the little things including awareness so that someday my daughter-in-laws will appreciate me the way I do Tracey's mom! And I'll prob'ly call 'em every once in a while to do my mom thing then, too. Just a little mother/son thing I couldn't not say to my moms-of-sons compadres out there. ;)

What I miss is sitting "Indian style" and being able to lay their curled up little bundled bodies in the crook of my legs. I would like to offer that even though you don't get to hold them to your bosom as they get older the way you did when they were your little babies, the moments to hold and rock them have not vanished completely for me and you both know that's pretty astounding considering the size of my oldest "baby". At least once a day at least they will come to me for some Mom. Now that they're older sometimes it's them coming to give me the kiss and cuddle. Can you imagine being held and rocked by your little bundles??? Eventually, that happens. If I'm upset or crying over whatever trivial thing sets me off one or both will come to me to comfort me. It is exactly like the Robert Munsch book "I Love You Forever". I get to hold them near to me which they now do in return to me and it's every bit as magical a mommy-moment as it is when you're snuggling your little bundles close to your heart. It never ends, girls. Don't be too sad.

Oh! Secret mom confession that I'm sure I would could get killed for! Brian still gives me that looks sometimes that says, "Talk to me like you used to." It's a smile and a way he does his eyes. So I'll hug him close and smooth his hair back and whisper sweet baby-talk telling him he's my "Boo" and he's my baby always and stuff. He even does little baby talk moments back when he says real soft, "Always", or "you're my mommy always". It's really sweet. He doesn't really hide it as much in front of Chandler or Tracey. He's super discreet with it in front of anyone else. It won't be as obvious but he'll peck me on the cheek or put an arm around my shoulders and whisper a little something to me. They're always our babies, y'all. Always.

A very special person in my life gifted Lucas that book when he was born. It's just so sweet. We don't read a lot of books yet though, because one of us prefers eating them to reading them these days.

Speaking of time flying... I totally died when I recently opened up your "POOF" trip report to find that there was more than one grown man in your crew. Hello! Your boys are so adult now. When did that happen? I still remember your first trip report from not so long ago and they both still seemed like little kids. Sigh!

Holly! Welcome back - I'm sure you're feeling the love. Hopefully Lucas is, too - we're all CLEARLY in love with him. What an adorable baby, despite being unhappy.

This TR seems to point to a different kind of magic than we're all used to. Props to you for finding the time to write and upload it :) Instead of go-go-go, it's more little moments and a new kind of flexibility. It's nice to see everything from the side of the people with the crying baby.. perspective! We were all that crying baby at some point, cut them some slack.

I'm enjoying your "those people" comments - sometimes the Disney-frequenters get high and mighty about the "best" way to do things.. there's more to Disney magic than parking in the right parking lot, people! It's about Donald trying his voodoo to make you smile!

Love this! And your Ohana!

KENZIE! My girl. This trip report was definitely about the little moments. And I was determined to get it written so that I wouldn't forget all the little triumphs (and tribulations). My exhausted brain tends to forget more these days than it remembers so having it written down is good. Very good.

And just beware... Donald and his voodoo are quite powerful!

OMG!!! Congrats to both you and Brett on the newest addition to your family! I had no idea!!! Wishing you all the best!

Welcome back to the boards! :)

Thanks, Reese! I hope you and your guy are doing well.

Welcome Back Holly,
Great pictures of little 4 month old Lucas and you DH Brett. Always glad to read trip reports and see how much fun everyone as at the Happiest Place on Earth (Walt Disney World) I soon will be going again this coming October if I can get my hind quarter in gear to put things together.

Thank you! Now go get that trip planned. Everyone needs a Disney trip on the horizon. It just makes life so much sweeter.

bethymouse

Wonderful! Mommy and Daddy look so happy and proud.:) Your little one is so cute! Congratulations!:) He seems like a good baby. Your pics are wonderful! Love the "sleeping" one w/ Goofy!:D

Cassie S.

Loved reading so far! I will be taking a 4 & 6 yr old to the world this May for our first trip & we just may end up being THOSE people, lol. Bringing the stroller because my 6 yr old is too heavy to carry if she gets tired. I'll tell ya, my double stroller was the best gift EVER. Looking forward to your next installment. :)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Woo hoo! Holly's back! :D You were gone so long. I guess you had a good (and extremely precious) reason. Lucas is ADORABLE! That red hair. Oh my goodness. Just adorable.

I'm so sorry your first trip with the little man was so stressful. And that is too bad that he was so sick for his first trip! That must have been so hard for Disney vets like yourselves to become "those people". I'm sorry to say that I had a good laugh every time you said you were one of those people. Hahaha :D You know that we've all been there a time or two.

You all are such troopers! I can only imagine the stress of a being new mom and then add all the stresses that a trip to WDW can bring...wow. Mad props to you all! I love the picture of Brett and Lucas after your boat ride back from DTD. Brett's face says it all.

I can't wait to read more!

Hi, Ashley! Thank you so much. Brett likes to say we won the baby lottery. :) It's so true that we've all been there before; it's human nature to mess up every now and then. I'll say it time and again, but I think what made the trip so hard and so emotionally draining was the lack of sleep. We had no clue what we were really in for when it came to that adjustment with a baby. Sleep deprivation is the absolute worst. I'm still amazed at how my body has learned to function on so little sleep.

Yes. I love that picture, too. Just looking at it takes me back to the very emotions I was feeling that night.

So great to see a Holly trip report!!!! And with the new little guy in tow!!!!

I can't even imagine how tough it is to take a little one to WDW (hey I'll probably be one of those people in the far distant future LOL) but you guys seems like you did pretty well with him considering the not so fun parts!!!

I have to say by far my favorite picture is the one where he is staring at Sebastian like "Who and what is that and get it off my stroller...NOW" LOVE IT.

And I am very very happy that his first ride in the world was one of my favorites :) Looking forward to the rest!!!

The far distant future will be here before you know it, Jess! It's funny to me that so many of you have commented on that picture of Lucas with Sebastian. I almost didn't even post it!

And it was such a great ride!

Holly! Very glad to see a trip report from you, and what a momentous one it is!

I know this isn't the first time you've heard this but Lucas is nothing short of ADORABLE. :D Also glad to know you liked the French Quarter. The DDP definitely isn't for everyone because you end up getting a ton of food. I know we like to use it on long(ish) trips but it serves no purpose when we go for a weekend -- too much food not enough time.

You're pictures are fantastic (as per usual :)) So many memories from Lucas' first visit.

Erin! Thank you. This trip was momentous for sure. It was certainly a whirlwind of a weekend. I can definitely see your point about using the dining plan during a longer trip. I haven't run the numbers, but I wonder if it would work to our benefit if we doubled up points to use on two credit meals, and then pay out of pocket for some other meals that we are accustomed to spending a moderate amount on. Hmmm... food for thought. Literally!

My wife and I are getting ready for our next trip and I must say we debated long and hard weather or not to take our 14 month old. In the end grandma wanted her week with the grand baby. One of my points was that even if she is little her moments of babbles and the giggles would out way any frustrations the trip would bring. Our little one defiantly has her days and when she is sick I would do anything to make her feel better. I can't wait to see more of your trip.

You know, it's such a tough call to make and I think both ways of doing it have their pros and cons, for sure. I wonder if we'll take any trips without the little man - I'm sure we will at some point. The other option is to bring grandma along. We did this for our second trip with him and it certainly helped! One more adult to take a turn walking the munchkin during dinner. :)

Holly! Loving the report....bringing back sweet memories of Addie's first trip when we too became "those people"! Welcome to the club! Looking forward to the rest..... :)

Mike! Thank you for the welcome party! I'm growing quite fond of this little club.

Loving this report. Lucas is adorable. I totally understand being "those people". Life happens and we all become those people somewhere

Thank you so much. We're quite smitten with him ourselves! It's so true that we're all "those people." It's all about perspective.

Holly,

Congrats again to you and Brett on the addition to the family! Lucas is certainly a handsome devil. You are blessed.

I'm now catching up and was excited to see you post a new Trip Report - Just a few weeks ago I was wondering how you were doing and
hoping you had made it to the World as a party of three. So far I love your perspective as a new mother in WDW with an infant. It is bringing back
memories of feeling like a pack mule while hauling around the little one's gear. :)

Thanks, Chris! We indeed survived that first trip as a party of three. And I'm still shocked we're well over halfway through survival of our first year with Lucas. It's been crazy and amazing!

Holly, I just wanted to let you know that your wedding trip report was what finally made my fiancé 100% sure about us having a Disney Wedding. You little guy is so adorable! And I am really enjoying this trip report! It is providing me with some hints to pass on to my brother and sister-in-law for doing the parks with my nephew!

Oh, hey! Congrats on your wedding. I'm glad my little trip report helped seal the deal for a Disney wedding. Best decision ever, I say! Followed closely by the decision to write a trip report around it. I'm so thankful I have that day written down. So I definitely suggest that... even if it's not out there for the world to see, write it down. You'll thank yourself later if you do!

Holly!! Long time, no see! Loving the TR so far (sad we weren't able to meet up though).

He is soooooo cute! I love his expression in the first picture

Thank you, Joanna! Trying to schedule meet ups with this guy in tow becomes a whole new ballgame. Maybe we'll run into you next time, though.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
welcome back holly... , indeed agree with everyone the pic of lucas are priceless.. exspecially the one with sabasitian... and the look!

Thank you! Thank you! I'm so glad we've got the pictures. They really are priceless. I'm doing a photo a day of Lucas and I'm so happy I've stuck with it over time. I think, like this first trip, it'll be so amazing to look back on.

I don't usually post...I am more the lurking type. However your posts nearly brought me to tears. We are THOSE people too!!!!! We visited Disney many a times before kiddos and never thought we would ever be "like them". But we are, times 2. Aiden and Amelia have visited Disney several times in their short 2 and 4 years of life. Most of the time it is a catastrophe and most nights end with me on a park bench in tears. But we are making memories and thats what is most important. I truly "have been there" and my heart goes out to you. You are doing a great job. One thing I have learned from parenting is; forget what everyone else thinks, anyone who matters wouldn't pass judgement anyhow. Can't wait to read the rest of your trip report!

Oh, how ironic that you mention the park bench and tears... because that's coming up next. ;)

Please, please, come out of lurkdom and post! I'd love to read about your adventures with two little ones. I'm sure I would learn a thing or two about what to expect in the upcoming years.

Love that advice. You are so right.

OMG!!! Where have "I" been to have totally missed the fact that 1. you "were" pregnant, 2. he was born, and 3. his 1st WDW trip!!! Oh yeah I remember planning Disney vacations for others! LOL!!! Oh the life of a travel agent! LOL!!! Anyway, CONGRATS!!! CONGRATS!!! I can't wait to read all about his 1st trip!! He is soooo cute too!!!

Well I did slip the pregnancy news into my last trip report and then ended up announcing his birth at the end of that very same report. Other than that I've been MIA around here for about a year! Time to change a thing or two. Thanks, tidbit!

Yay, welcome back, Hollybelle!!! Your little boy is just the cutest ever! He looks like a perfect mix of you and Brett. You guys are super brave to head to the World with such a little one, but I know that if I had a kiddo, I'd be chomping at the bit to get there, too! Congrats on your lovely little Ohana!! :)

Thank you for saying that, Ashley. As hard as these two trips with him have been, I'm always ready to plan the next one by the time we get home.

Hi Holly! So go figure, you have little time to interact on the boards and as soon as you write a trip report, we all maul you with comments to reply to! ;) You guys are doing a great job as parents. It can be tough, but you are doing great!

Melanee! I hope all is well on the west coast. It's funny you should mention being mauled by comments - Shannon (ariel484) said the very same thing in an email to me earlier this week. I LOVE reading comments so I'm totally okay with it.

First, I love how Kelly put it (post #37). She basically articulated the feelings I was having as I read through your report (I am as far as the fateful boat ride your second evening). Our first trip to The World June 2007, we toted 3 kids, ages 6 3/4, almost 3 and 18 months. We must have been nuts! We had tons of stuff too, a packed stroller, and it was much harder than we thought. But I have really fond memories as well.

I must go back and find that trip report of yours. You amaze me, woman! I'm exhausted just thinking about what you guys went through on that trip. But oh how those sweet little moments and memories are worth it.

Your poor sick baby-I just felt bad for him! I'm glad you found another daycare center!

Your image of Brett "schlepping" all of your gear up to the room while you fed and soothed Lucas was SO familiar! I had to smile picturing him doing that, bags strapped to him at all angles!

So the adventures of WDW with babies and kids. It is a whole new world! You do lower your expectations and go through a wild ride of emotions at times. I am glad you explained it so honestly. It happens! Try not to feel guilty, you aren't trying to make your baby fussy. It is true what impact little comments from other guests can make, for the positive OR the negative. I remember sweet-meaning ladies would say jokingly "Did you pinch that baby?" with a cute smile on their faces when ours were fussy. Each time, I came REALLY close to pinching them! I am like you. If I see a fussy kid or baby, I usually just think of somehow that I can encourage the parents. Either I play peek-a-boo with the child or offer something to help, when appropriate.You are right, sometimes saying "Hey, we've all been there..." with a knowingly understanding smile helps.

"...we're those people now!" Hey welcome to the club! We're all a little nuts!!

I would've wanted to pinch those ladies, too. Or worse! It's like the man on the boat... I was so frustrated with him and I really did make it a point in that moment to not only NOT say something snarky to someone in a similar situation, but to make sure I actually give a kind word.

That experience on the boat had me absolutely fearful of taking Lucas on a plane, but you know what? We did it. And he was a dream. Of course, had he not been a dream the entire flight, we still would've survived and so would've everyone else aboard.

Don't worry at all about a fussy baby on a boat or bus. Anyone there with half an ounce of sense knows it can't be avoided sometimes!
The first pictures with Goofy and Donald also sum up a first trip pretty well! :)
I love your reports, Holly!

Awww, thanks, Tammy! I love those two photos so much.

Wonderful! Mommy and Daddy look so happy and proud.:) Your little one is so cute! Congratulations!:) He seems like a good baby. Your pics are wonderful! Love the "sleeping" one w/ Goofy!:D

We're oh so happy and proud! Thanks for noticing. :) He really is a good baby. Especially now, we really turned a corner somewhere around the four month mark. He's always smiling now.

Loved reading so far! I will be taking a 4 & 6 yr old to the world this May for our first trip & we just may end up being THOSE people, lol. Bringing the stroller because my 6 yr old is too heavy to carry if she gets tired. I'll tell ya, my double stroller was the best gift EVER. Looking forward to your next installment. :)

Strollers! Oh my what a difference a good stroller can make. It's funny how you learn what you need and what you can live without when you have a baby. A good stroller is probably at the top of the "needs" list. We've been through a couple already, just looking for the right one. May is just around the corner, have fun with your littles.

Ariel484

Shannon! Long time, no talk. ;)

So you picked up on my affinity for stripes?!? Mama likes stripes! And as you might well notice, I wear my fair share of stripes, too. Honestly? Attire for little boys is seriously lacking in my opinion. It seems that you have three main options: sports/animals/transportation. Of the three, I gravitate towards animals, because neither cars nor sports are really my thing, and they both seem so cliche for a little guy. I mean, what if we're raising the lead singer of a band and he wants nothing to do with a baseball bat?
I know, right?? :D Funny you should say that about the boys' attire...I was out yesterday at our little outdoor mall (in 27-degree weather...fun!) and I saw the cutest little boys' sweater with little airplanes on it. So there ya go, transportation! :p
You're very observant... Grandma whipped up those strap covers and surprised us with them the evening we left. Get this... she made them out of an old-school sleeper she found at a thrift store. That lady, she's a keeper!
So adorable. Good job, Grandma! :)
Aaaaaaaaaagh! No babies in the oven over here. It's funny that this was your first guess.:D
:D The caffeine kicked in a second later and I figured out what was going on!
Hmmm... I didn't get mango at all from the brew? In fact, I didn't even know mango was involved. I do love it though, so maybe I just can't identify my fruits very well.
I think it's the foam. The foam is mango-flavored or something...of course, it's also supposed to have a toasted marshmallow taste somewhere in there too that I never picked up. ???
As for Storybook Circus, I think the first thing that helped was Monstro's specifications. He's one fine specimen. ISO goes up to 6400 and I had a nice wide aperture lens on (Sigma 30mm). I didn't have my external flash with me. With all the extra baggage it didn't make it out of the room that weekend, although this was one of those moments when I was really wishing I'd had it. I shoot in RAW and I think that's what semi-saved my photos because I remember having to adjust the white balance a lot due to the super warm/red lighting. The cynic in me believes Disney is creating these poor lighting photo ops because it results in more photopass purchases. Just me? Maybe it's just me! ;)
Right before the trip I upgraded to a T3i from an XSi, so I do have the 6400 ISO capabilities (the jump from 1600 to 6400...yowza!) and those pictures were taken at ISO 6400. They just came out so PINK...but this was my first trip shooting in RAW and I did just finally start to try to learn how to edit my photos, so maybe I just need to play around with them more. Or maybe it was just bad luck this time and they really are beyond saving. I've been toying with getting the Sigma 30mm for awhile...I might have to get a good look at yours during the cruise before I make up my mind. :) I think you're definitely on to something with your Photopass theory! That Storybook Circus set-up is pretty cute, but I think it's one of the worst for lighting.

PartOfYourWorld

The far distant future will be here before you know it, Jess! It's funny to me that so many of you have commented on that picture of Lucas with Sebastian. I almost didn't even post it!

And it was such a great ride!

Oh I know..not ready to think about that part yet!

Wow really? Well I am sure glad you did post it!!!!! :)

And I'm so glad you loved that ride as well! I have been waiting for a Little Mermaid ride for so long!

cfry06

I love this report! Takes me right back to our first trip with our little guy in Oct 2011. He was 8 months and I, too, felt like we were "those" people! Our normally-a-great-sleeper-son was great the first two nights...the rest of the week decided he didn't want to go to bed at night. Napped great, nights another story! Was so afraid we were going to be evicted from our POR room for having the melt-down child each night!! But now I have great memories of us walking him lap after lap around the resort, all bundled up in his stroller & with a white noise app on our cell phones until he fell asleep. We have plenty of other great memories too - but certainly had to roll with a few surprises and new territory. We were back this past December and it was another set of adventures with a toddler! But soooo amazing...other than the sadly cancelled Le Cellier reservation. We realized early on in the trip that meals w/o characters or entertainment had to be nixed this trip! Each trip we've learned a lot - but can't wait to see him grow up in Disney!

Absolutely agree with the love of stripes!! I wasn't a big fan of many of the themed clothing for the little guys - so stripes, checks & plaid are quite popular in our house!

Thank you for sharing your adventures! Love reading along :) and Lucas is just adorable!! Can't wait to watch him grow up in WDW!

foreverbelle

OMG I was just thinking about you guys. So you can not imagine my surprise and utter happiness that I came across this report!!! Seriously sitting behind my desk at the moment doing a happy dance.

Anyways

Your TR is bringing back so many memories of when Logan went on his first trip. How different we thought it was going to be then it actually was. And so many new and different experiences. I remember the meltdowns, the feelings that its all so overwhelming and things having to change. Its all coming back to me, and it feels like ions ago. But I am loving your report I truly am.

He is absolutely adorable and those pictures, you will look back and cherish. I love them.

And thanks for the review on the drink, I was wondering and can't wait to get my hands on one come May, when we visit next. Yummy.

As for the dining plan, your opinion and your needs may change. We used to not use it, and have and do both from time to time. I think for us it really all depends on who, what and all. We have at times found the value in it, and at times, more so with just Andy and I, we have found little value you in it. So it all depends.

And best of luck finding time I know how that one is....but relish and enjoy the moments.

I can not wait to see more of your ohanas!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom