A Whole New World: An October 2012 Trip Report

Alternately titled the “We’re those people now!” trip report!

Well hello there, wdwmagic, please allow me to introduce myself. I’m hollybelle. And, once upon a time, I was not the mother of a little pint sized pirate baby. And in those days (despite what I may have thought then), I had all the time in the world to write trip reports, stalk trip reports, comment on trip reports, and daydream about trip reports; in other words, overdose on all things trip reports. It was one of my daily addictions.

These days, I delight in small personal victories when it comes to “free” time. Showers and sleep (and laundry and cleaning) almost always win out when those heavenly little slices of quietness drift my way. So to all my wdwmagic friends, please accept my humblest of apologies for not commenting on each of your reports over the last year. It is seriously shocking to think I dropped off the face of the trip reports forum that long ago. While I may not be commenting, I have at least been lurking in the shadows, like the creepiest of creepers. Violet (my iPad) has been my trusty sidekick lately and while she makes it easy to peruse the interwebs during all those late night feedings with Lucas, typing up comments is another thing entirely.

Luckily for me, during a couple slow days here and there at work I was able to carve out some time to write this trip report {{that was in December – sadly it took another two months to find the time to upload photos and post}}. It was very important to me that I find the time to write it, because it feels like a big milestone in the story that is our lives. I mean, I wrote about our engagement, our wedding, and Lucas’ birth. Writing about his very first trip to the World certainly qualifies as a “must” in my book!

IMG_8508e5x7.jpg

Who: The handsome little Ohana pictured above (taken in November when Lucas was around four months old)
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter
When: October 12-16, 2012
Why: Because we couldn’t wait to introduce our little man to the happiest place on earth

::SPOILER ALERT:: It wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows! Even though we thought we had adjusted our expectations accordingly prior to the trip, we quickly learned they needed further adjusting upon arrival. This trip was about small victories for us. And I hope you enjoy sharing in those, as well as getting a good laugh out of our missteps in parenthood, as you read along. Brett and I like to think we’re Disney veterans and know all there is to know about our happy place, but with a three month old baby in tow… it was a whole new world!

I had all intentions of photographing every single second of this trip. But, you know, best laid plans and all that. Instead, I’m now doing my best to string together enough shots to tell the story. I’d say it’s a regret, but in truth, we were just trying our best to survive. Hah. Let the adventure begin.

Ariel484

Ahhh yes, of the transportation stuff, Lucas has a couple of really cute spaceship outfits. :)

And toasted marshmallow? I totally missed that.
Yes, toasted marshmallow. I remember reading that in the press release and thinking how good it sounded. ??
Shooting in RAW has saved many a photo of mine. I'm still amazed sometimes when I take a photo that already looks pretty good and adjust the coloring. It gives it that pop - and often makes it more realistic. What are you using to edit? I use Adobe Camera Raw and I try to make very quick edits - mostly just white balance and vibrance and sometimes brightness. I've noticed I tend to like my images over-exposed.
I'm using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. We got a good deal on a teacher rate by buying it in Will's name. What you do is pretty much all I'm fooling around with - vibrance (but not so much that it looks cartoonish/not realistic) and white balance. OH THE WHITE BALANCE. That makes such a huge difference for me.
You can definitely shoot with mine for awhile to see if you like it. Last night I totally clicked "place your order" on the Sigma 17-50 2.8, while squealing with delight. I've been eyeing it for a while and I cannot wait for it to arrive so I can play with it. I hope I love it as much as I think I will. I love my primes, but wanted a good walk around lens that affords me at least a little bit of reach (and a wide end for self-portraits), while still giving me a nice wide aperture that stays consistent across the focal range.
Awesome, thanks...and CONGRATS on the new lens! I feel like I'm going to need to invest in a good wide-angle lens before the cruise, or at least rent one to try out. Let me know what you think of your new Sigma! And I agree with you on a good walk-around lens...the only prime I have is still the cheap-o Canon 50mm and I barely used it during our last trip. Mostly I used the kit lens.

So sad about the Roaring Fork waffles! I was so excited to go there in January and from what I remember they had 2-3 varieties...of course they didn't have the one I really wanted to try (now I forget what that was). Sadness.

The cow picture....hahahahaha, I never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out! My attention was focused on the little man!

I'm with you on the dining plan...it works for some, not so much for others. And huzzah for two successful table service meals!!

I love those last 2 pictures of Lucas in the La Hacienda update - with you and then with Brett. He's so precious.

Heatherbell

Ack... I hope my report, as a whole, doesn't come across as a rant because it's not meant to be that way. I tried to incorporate so much detail because in those moments we were feeling oh so very overwhelmed. Looking back now some of it already seems trivial, but while we were in it, it was rough. And I didn't want to gloss over all those feelings. I'd like to remember his first trip for what it really was... and you know, there were quite a few parental meltdowns to be had!!!

I don't think your report is coming off like a rant. I appreciate your candid report. Just think; you may be comforting another mom somewhere. I know you validated quite a few feelings I have had about traveling with little ones. More then once I have said to myself; Oh its not just us that are "those" people.
The baby years go by so so fast. You wont remember all these feelings you are feeling now. Some day these memories will be vague, you will remember the trip but not as you remember it now. So it's great you are writing all of this down, and writing it down truthfully. Some day you will look back on this report and laugh your behind off. I have a 2 and a 4 year old and my mom always says to enjoy these little problems because as they get older the problems get bigger :)

Sarabell

Just what I needed to see after being MIA for so long!! Your trip report has basically made my day! Lucas is as adorable as can be and I´m sooo glad you decided to take him to the world. I´m sorry he wasn´t feeling his best though.

About you being ¨those people now¨, at least you have a baby to justify it. Some of ¨those people¨ just do stuff cause they feel like it. And having a crying baby shouldn´t make you feel kinda guilty. Everyone has been around babies (their own or a loved one´s ) and should understand that you have no control over it.

So glad to be back to find your trip report waiting for me. I´ve also had life get in the way of stalking trip reports, but on my side of the world it hasn´t been parenthood but a parent (mom) suffering from a heart attack, heart surgery and a second surgery after that. The bright side is that she´s now good as new and will not get as tired of walking next time we go to WDW :)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Yes, toasted marshmallow. I remember reading that in the press release and thinking how good it sounded. ??

I'm using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. We got a good deal on a teacher rate by buying it in Will's name. What you do is pretty much all I'm fooling around with - vibrance (but not so much that it looks cartoonish/not realistic) and white balance. OH THE WHITE BALANCE. That makes such a huge difference for me.

Awesome, thanks...and CONGRATS on the new lens! I feel like I'm going to need to invest in a good wide-angle lens before the cruise, or at least rent one to try out. Let me know what you think of your new Sigma! And I agree with you on a good walk-around lens...the only prime I have is still the cheap-o Canon 50mm and I barely used it during our last trip. Mostly I used the kit lens.

Oh, hey, you can try out my UWA, as well, if you'd like. It's also a Sigma. Me thinks I have a thing for Sigma lenses. I've found them to be of really great quality, and well priced when compared with the Canon lenses. Plus, I love that they always come with a lens hood and case. Nice little bonus there! I also have the cheap Canon 50mm and rarely use it. I like it, but on a crop camera, I think the 30 is a much more workable focal length. I'm loving the range of my new Sigma, in fact, I've been using my prime for so long that I still have to remind myself I can zoom with the new lens on.

So sad about the Roaring Fork waffles! I was so excited to go there in January and from what I remember they had 2-3 varieties...of course they didn't have the one I really wanted to try (now I forget what that was). Sadness.

The cow picture....hahahahaha, I never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out! My attention was focused on the little man!

I'm with you on the dining plan...it works for some, not so much for others. And huzzah for two successful table service meals!!

I love those last 2 pictures of Lucas in the La Hacienda update - with you and then with Brett. He's so precious.

Sooo I figured out why the Wilderness Waffles disappeared from the Roaring Fork menu... they're now served at the Whispering Canyon! That's good and bad, I guess. They're still around, but it's not a quick and cheap breakfast anymore.

Yes, the cow picture! It was so apropos.

I love those photos too, because he looks much more like himself, as opposed to so many of the other shots throughout this trip report. Thanks, Shannon.

Loving this so far! Can't wait to read the rest!

Thanks, Megan! The rest to come soon.

Love all your photos! :)
75.gif

Thank you!

I don't think your report is coming off like a rant. I appreciate your candid report. Just think; you may be comforting another mom somewhere. I know you validated quite a few feelings I have had about traveling with little ones. More then once I have said to myself; Oh its not just us that are "those" people.
The baby years go by so so fast. You wont remember all these feelings you are feeling now. Some day these memories will be vague, you will remember the trip but not as you remember it now. So it's great you are writing all of this down, and writing it down truthfully. Some day you will look back on this report and laugh your behind off. I have a 2 and a 4 year old and my mom always says to enjoy these little problems because as they get older the problems get bigger :)

Thank you so much, Heather. It is definitely nice to know that others are going through (or have gone through) the same situations. Solidarity in parenthood and all that!!

I agree that the feelings will get away from us if we don't write things down. It's one of the reasons why I remained dedicated to writing this report, even though "free time" is now a thing of the past.

Great advice from your mom! Brett and I have talked about how it must get harder from here. Pretty soon we're going to have to start "parenting" and setting examples. Right now we're just keeping a baby alive. :) Hah!

Really enjoying your TR! Cute little dude.

Thanks so much!

Just what I needed to see after being MIA for so long!! Your trip report has basically made my day! Lucas is as adorable as can be and I´m sooo glad you decided to take him to the world. I´m sorry he wasn´t feeling his best though.

About you being ¨those people now¨, at least you have a baby to justify it. Some of ¨those people¨ just do stuff cause they feel like it. And having a crying baby shouldn´t make you feel kinda guilty. Everyone has been around babies (their own or a loved one´s ) and should understand that you have no control over it.

So glad to be back to find your trip report waiting for me. I´ve also had life get in the way of stalking trip reports, but on my side of the world it hasn´t been parenthood but a parent (mom) suffering from a heart attack, heart surgery and a second surgery after that. The bright side is that she´s now good as new and will not get as tired of walking next time we go to WDW :)

Hi Sara! I'm so sorry to hear about the stresses you and your family have been going through as of late. I'm happy to hear your mom has found her strength and pulled through the health issues.

Thanks for all the kind words and understanding!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 4 – Monday, October 15: Exhaustion… and the sweet little moment that made it all worthwhile.

We started off our morning at the Studios with this cutie...

IMG_7564.jpg

And one of my favorite non-Lucas photos from the trip:

IMG_7559.jpg

We even managed to snag a photopass photographer for a family shot…

IMG_7565.jpg

Off to a good start, right? Wrong. That was pretty much the extent of our trip to the Studios. Okay, okay, that’s not entirely true, I did have a mouthwateringly delicious red velvet cupcake for breakfast. Because, well, who doesn’t eat cupcakes for breakfast?!

e2f68e2a16e111e2957d22000a1f9779_7.jpg

IMG_7575.jpg

Honestly though, we felt a little lost that morning. We wandered around the Hat and Echo Lake areas of the park aimlessly, all the while I was stressing over Lucas’ comfort level. Our morning went a little something like this:

"What do you want to do?”
"I don't care. What do you want to do?"
"I'm fine with whatever, you?"

It was frustrating. We were tired after another rough night and it was clearly taking its toll on us as we became increasingly more agitated with one another over absolutely nothing. Eventually we just left. We strolled out of the park and I had another semi-meltdown as we walked to the car. Sigh. It was all histrionics and drama (mostly me, but a little him) about how traveling with a baby is oh so hard and wah, wah, wah. There was even talk of how we should wait years before Lucas' next trip. You know, bring him back as a teenager. :D Hah. {{I’m typing this 2 months after the fact, and laughing out loud at myself –he’s already returned for his second visit AND his third is planned for two weeks from today}} Seriously though, sleep deprivation is the worst sort of torture – it screws with the mind!

Of course, once we were back in the room, this boy melted the hearts of a couple parental units with his charm…

IMG_7585.jpg

And all was right with the world. We were quickly reminded it was all worth it, every last minute of sleep lost. SO. TOTALLY. WORTH. IT. That face!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We grabbed a quick bite to eat at the food court and then Brett ran off to Downtown Disney to pick a few things up while I fed the little man. We then took an afternoon stroll around the French Quarter. Lucas snoozed for much of it and I entertained myself with a little photo shoot of the grounds…

c7de397a16f111e29ae122000a1f9a03_7.jpg

IMG_7594.jpg

8665a724179811e2ad5c123138100de9_7.jpg

IMG_7596.jpg

IMG_7599.jpg

IMG_7602.jpg

IMG_7603.jpg

IMG_7610.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7626.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

IMG_7629.jpg

While at the World of Disney, Brett picked up this little gem….

IMG_7631.jpg

Lucas’ very own plastic barking puppy! He’s actually been quite enthralled with him ever since we got home. I love him! BARK! BARK! BARK!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Feeling rejuvenated, we decided to head back to the Magic Kingdom that evening, hoping to soak up more of New Fantasyland.

IMG_7632.jpg

IMG_7633.jpg

IMG_7637.jpg

IMG_7645.jpg

We hopped in line again for Ariel’s ride. Lucas was awake this time and it was so much fun to watch him soak up the lights and music all around him.

IMG_7650.jpg

IMG_7654.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

IMG_7679.jpg

IMG_7682.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_7683.jpg

IMG_7684.jpg

IMG_7685.jpg

IMG_7686.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

Favorite!

IMG_7690.jpg

IMG_7698.jpg

IMG_7703.jpg

We almost always refer to Ariel’s father as Big Naked Triton… I mean, look at that merman, he’s one fine specimen!

IMG_7707.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Back on land, we hit up Gaston’s Tavern for another LeFou’s Brew. Mama like!

IMG_7710.jpg

IMG_7714.jpg

As we were leaving the area, we saw a camera crew set up in the garden. They were filming a video of Belle that we’ve since seen in the newest marketing campaign.

IMG_7716.jpg

IMG_7721.jpg

Back in “old” Fantasyland, we accomplished something that was at the very top of my wishlist for the weekend… a picture of Lucas attempting to pull the sword out of the stone. Before the trip I thought a lot about a possible photo spot where we could capture Lucas from trip to trip. The Sword and the Stone is perfect! Especially because it’s an automatic prop and he’ll be able to have a lot of fun with it as he grows up. Look at that sweet boy, humoring his mama already!

IMG_7727.jpg

IMG_7732.jpg

We wanted to find a place to do this in each park, and I'm a little disappointed we weren't able to, but honestly, I'm just really excited that we managed to get this one. It was my number one!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After a successful meal at La Hacienda the previous evening, we decided to re-book our reservation at the Plaza, as well. So off we went to the Baby Care Center to feed Lucas before dinner. He promptly fell asleep after eating and we headed over to Main Street to check in for our reservation.

IMG_7739.jpg

IMG_7741.jpg

IMG_7742.jpg

d2da4550170d11e2a0c81231380ff428_7.jpg

Crossing over Main Street with a stroller was akin to a game of Frogger.

IMG_3147.jpg

Guess what? As is usually the case at the Plaza, we were seated 30 minutes after our reservation time. “Waaahhhhhh!” That’s what Lucas had to say about that. And me, too. So yeah, we’d wasted Lucas’ 45 minute nap while waiting for dinner, and as soon as we got into the restaurant he woke up. He was fine for a little while…

IMG_7748.jpg

IMG_7759.jpg

But it didn’t last long, and soon enough he was crying again. Mercy! Brett ate as quickly as possible while I tried to sooth the little man, and then he took him outside for a walk while I finished my burger. Upon returning, Lucas was still inconsolable, so we just skipped our “free” dessert. I headed back to the Baby Care Center with the mister, while Brett handled the “bill.”

Dinner isn’t quite the same when I’m seated across from an empty chair that my love should be sitting in:

IMG_7760.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After getting Lucas calmed down, I met Brett on Main Street. Turns out he’d been doing a bit of shopping. Just outside the Art of Disney store, under the theatre lights, he sprung this little beauty on us...

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7785.jpg

And then this happened…

IMG_7762.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7767e5x7.jpg

Lucas started cooing and talking up a storm as soon as we put the ears on him. As Kelly (@sweetpee1993) said on Instagram, Lucas’ mouseketeer status was officially official! And I cried, for the seventy-second millionth time during the trip, I cried. It may have been the most exhausting and difficult trip of our lives, but it was pretty fantastic, too.

And you better believe the B&W is in a frame at our house!

We had one last stop before heading back to the resort and packing up… “our hill” at the Poly. Looking out at Cinderella Castle from across the water, I could do nothing but smile. Where at once, it was just the two of us, there was now three. Three of us. Standing in that place where we vowed to be true to ourselves, to each other and to the Ohana that we had become.

IMG_7801.jpg

When Brett is in charge of mirror shots, this is what we get…

IMG_7792.jpg

IMG_7803.jpg

I’ll take it!

It’s funny, because as difficult as the trip was, and even though there were moments when we swore we wouldn’t return until Lucas was an adult (!), we were definitely feeling blue as we packed up that night. We didn’t want it to end. And, as always, we were already planning our next trip.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 5 – Tuesday, October 16: See Ya Real Soon!

This is the face we woke up to on departure morning…

IMG_7831.jpg

We still had a counter service breakfast to use, so Brett ran down to the food court to pick us up some Mickey waffles!

307faf3a178911e286fe22000a1de7ae_7.jpg

Once in the car, we realized we still had snack credits left, so we decided to stop by the sundries shop at the Art of Animation. We wanted to take a look around the resort anyway, so it was a good choice. While there, I fed Lucas one last time before we hit the road, and Brett picked up our last plush of the trip… a sea witch. While I don't think the Art of Animation will every be at the top of my must-stay list, due to the over the top cheesiness of the room décor, I must admit, the lobby was pretty fantastic. And it looks like the place really does complement Pop.

IMG_7889.jpg

IMG_7863.jpg

68d3e60e179711e2a77f22000a1d0106_7.jpg

bb1f7b1e179a11e2adac22000a1fbe03_7.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_7876.jpg

IMG_7877.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

IMG_7879.jpg

IMG_7882.jpg

IMG_7884.jpg

C.J. Cregg (!) ...

IMG_7886.jpg

Random, but, this next shot is kinda one of my favorites… it feels so mom-tastic!

IMG_7887.jpg

Buh-bye, Ariel. I kinda have a thing for redheads now. ;)

IMG_7890.jpg

So there you have it, folks, Mister Lucas Gray’s first trip!

Dumbo2675

I think you take such great photos that a person can read these trip report and say that they have already been to Disney. Such a great trip report.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Now for a little update… after all, Lucas is almost three times as old as he was when we actually took the trip (and he’s already returned for a second trip). Just so you know, he’s a completely different baby now. Somewhere between 3 ½ and 4 months, we turned a major corner. The first three months were rough – the majority of his wakeful hours (most of the day) were spent crying. We’re assuming it must have had something to do with his tummy, but we really don’t know. The little man we have now is a complete and total dream baby. Even with his fair share of ear infections, he’s so incredibly happy… ALL. THE. TIME. Of course, sleep is another story entirely. ;)

In other news… I’m single parenting these days (all hail the single mamas and daddies out there is all I’ve got to say)! Many of you, whom I communicate with through Instagram, already know this, but Brett is currently in the midst of a five-month professional internship with Disney. He’s living it up with the Retail Revenue Management team and loving his work-life these days. It was a tough decision, and at the last minute he almost didn’t go (no really, I had to push him out the door), but I know with certainty that it was the right decision. When trying to decide whether or not he should accept it, more than once we each said, “The timing isn’t right.” But you know what? The timing will never be “right.” Is it ever? We’re all about dreaming big over here, and Brett’s dream has always been to work for a certain Mouse. I’m so incredibly proud of him because he put in some serious work to make this dream a reality. The conversion to full-time status looks pretty promising, so I know his five months away from us isn’t all for naught. We’re all making sacrifices, each of the three of us, but I can honestly say that we are happier now than we have ever been. We miss one another like crazy fools, but that’s not such a bad thing. There is something so freeing about stepping off the ledge and putting faith in each other and our abilities. This little Ohana has wings (and a healthy dose of pixie dust!). We get just this one life, and we’d be fools not to spend it chasing our dreams.

Up next… a February trip report. You didn’t really think all my whining about taking a baby to WDW would actually keep us away, did you?! Here’s to hoping I get it written and posted before Lucas turns two. :D

Ahhh, it’s good to be back. I’ve missed you, my friends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom