A Whole New World: An October 2012 Trip Report

Alternately titled the “We’re those people now!” trip report!

Well hello there, wdwmagic, please allow me to introduce myself. I’m hollybelle. And, once upon a time, I was not the mother of a little pint sized pirate baby. And in those days (despite what I may have thought then), I had all the time in the world to write trip reports, stalk trip reports, comment on trip reports, and daydream about trip reports; in other words, overdose on all things trip reports. It was one of my daily addictions.

These days, I delight in small personal victories when it comes to “free” time. Showers and sleep (and laundry and cleaning) almost always win out when those heavenly little slices of quietness drift my way. So to all my wdwmagic friends, please accept my humblest of apologies for not commenting on each of your reports over the last year. It is seriously shocking to think I dropped off the face of the trip reports forum that long ago. While I may not be commenting, I have at least been lurking in the shadows, like the creepiest of creepers. Violet (my iPad) has been my trusty sidekick lately and while she makes it easy to peruse the interwebs during all those late night feedings with Lucas, typing up comments is another thing entirely.

Luckily for me, during a couple slow days here and there at work I was able to carve out some time to write this trip report {{that was in December – sadly it took another two months to find the time to upload photos and post}}. It was very important to me that I find the time to write it, because it feels like a big milestone in the story that is our lives. I mean, I wrote about our engagement, our wedding, and Lucas’ birth. Writing about his very first trip to the World certainly qualifies as a “must” in my book!

IMG_8508e5x7.jpg

Who: The handsome little Ohana pictured above (taken in November when Lucas was around four months old)
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter
When: October 12-16, 2012
Why: Because we couldn’t wait to introduce our little man to the happiest place on earth

::SPOILER ALERT:: It wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows! Even though we thought we had adjusted our expectations accordingly prior to the trip, we quickly learned they needed further adjusting upon arrival. This trip was about small victories for us. And I hope you enjoy sharing in those, as well as getting a good laugh out of our missteps in parenthood, as you read along. Brett and I like to think we’re Disney veterans and know all there is to know about our happy place, but with a three month old baby in tow… it was a whole new world!

I had all intentions of photographing every single second of this trip. But, you know, best laid plans and all that. Instead, I’m now doing my best to string together enough shots to tell the story. I’d say it’s a regret, but in truth, we were just trying our best to survive. Hah. Let the adventure begin.

Allygator

Your "single parent" comment had me scared for a second. I was thinking how could that be??? I read your wedding trip report and loved it! Your baby is so cute! This certainly does bring back memories. My first born just turned 23 yesterday. As difficult it may be, it's so worth making memories. They grow up way too fast. I love the fact that you're backed up one trip report! Lol. That's a wonderful "problem" to have. ;). I can't wait to read your next one!

cfry06

Loved the report, thanks again for sharing! Your commentary and photos are fantastic and make me so happy to follow along. And I love the Sword/Stone pictures! We chose the same spot and have two of Wes there. I agree that it will be a great spot to have fun with as they grow! Happy Easter to the Fam!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I am going to be going back to Disney hopefully this November or February. Just waiting to see what is available at the place we are staying at.

I hope you have a great time - those are both great times of year for a trip!

Your "single parent" comment had me scared for a second. I was thinking how could that be??? I read your wedding trip report and loved it! Your baby is so cute! This certainly does bring back memories. My first born just turned 23 yesterday. As difficult it may be, it's so worth making memories. They grow up way too fast. I love the fact that you're backed up one trip report! Lol. That's a wonderful "problem" to have. ;). I can't wait to read your next one!

Oh no! No worries - we are stronger than ever over here. Thank you so much, Sheila. I've been behind on trip reports since the wedding one took me so long to get posted. In fact, there was even a February 2012 Babymoon report that didn't get posted. I do hope to at least throw the pictures up at some point, but things sure have changed and I'm not beating myself up over not finding the time!

Loved the report, thanks again for sharing! Your commentary and photos are fantastic and make me so happy to follow along. And I love the Sword/Stone pictures! We chose the same spot and have two of Wes there. I agree that it will be a great spot to have fun with as they grow! Happy Easter to the Fam!

Yes! The Sword and the Stone seemed like a perfect choice. Plus, I wanted to pick something that I thought would have staying power. And I don't think it'll be going anywhere - it seems to be a staple of Fantasyland.

Happy Easter to you and yours, as well! Thank you so much.

mousefreak

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for Brett. And wow...what at a sacrifice to be away form the both of you for that long. If I may ask, does Brett work in retail? I've worked in retail for 12 years.

TheMouseFan

Day 4 – Monday, October 15: Exhaustion… and the sweet little moment that made it all worthwhile.

We started off our morning at the Studios with this cutie...

IMG_7564.jpg

And one of my favorite non-Lucas photos from the trip:

IMG_7559.jpg

We even managed to snag a photopass photographer for a family shot…

IMG_7565.jpg

Off to a good start, right? Wrong. That was pretty much the extent of our trip to the Studios. Okay, okay, that’s not entirely true, I did have a mouthwateringly delicious red velvet cupcake for breakfast. Because, well, who doesn’t eat cupcakes for breakfast?!

e2f68e2a16e111e2957d22000a1f9779_7.jpg

IMG_7575.jpg

Honestly though, we felt a little lost that morning. We wandered around the Hat and Echo Lake areas of the park aimlessly, all the while I was stressing over Lucas’ comfort level. Our morning went a little something like this:

"What do you want to do?”
"I don't care. What do you want to do?"
"I'm fine with whatever, you?"

It was frustrating. We were tired after another rough night and it was clearly taking its toll on us as we became increasingly more agitated with one another over absolutely nothing. Eventually we just left. We strolled out of the park and I had another semi-meltdown as we walked to the car. Sigh. It was all histrionics and drama (mostly me, but a little him) about how traveling with a baby is oh so hard and wah, wah, wah. There was even talk of how we should wait years before Lucas' next trip. You know, bring him back as a teenager. :D Hah. {{I’m typing this 2 months after the fact, and laughing out loud at myself –he’s already returned for his second visit AND his third is planned for two weeks from today}} Seriously though, sleep deprivation is the worst sort of torture – it screws with the mind!

Of course, once we were back in the room, this boy melted the hearts of a couple parental units with his charm…

IMG_7585.jpg

And all was right with the world. We were quickly reminded it was all worth it, every last minute of sleep lost. SO. TOTALLY. WORTH. IT. That face!

I totally agree about the cupcakes for breakfast! In fact, I had one of the peanut butter chocolate ones for breakfast in December!!
My youngest is now 5, and I still remember what the lack of sleep could do to you. But it always seems like when you think you've hit your lowest, you get a moment like that last picture of yours and it makes it all better!:D I definitely don't miss those days, but I certainly look back on those memories fondly!
Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. I can't wait to read your next report!

meganw1985

Now for a little update… after all, Lucas is almost three times as old as he was when we actually took the trip (and he’s already returned for a second trip). Just so you know, he’s a completely different baby now. Somewhere between 3 ½ and 4 months, we turned a major corner. The first three months were rough – the majority of his wakeful hours (most of the day) were spent crying. We’re assuming it must have had something to do with his tummy, but we really don’t know. The little man we have now is a complete and total dream baby. Even with his fair share of ear infections, he’s so incredibly happy… ALL. THE. TIME. Of course, sleep is another story entirely. ;)

In other news… I’m single parenting these days (all hail the single mamas and daddies out there is all I’ve got to say)! Many of you, whom I communicate with through Instagram, already know this, but Brett is currently in the midst of a five-month professional internship with Disney. He’s living it up with the Retail Revenue Management team and loving his work-life these days. It was a tough decision, and at the last minute he almost didn’t go (no really, I had to push him out the door), but I know with certainty that it was the right decision. When trying to decide whether or not he should accept it, more than once we each said, “The timing isn’t right.” But you know what? The timing will never be “right.” Is it ever? We’re all about dreaming big over here, and Brett’s dream has always been to work for a certain Mouse. I’m so incredibly proud of him because he put in some serious work to make this dream a reality. The conversion to full-time status looks pretty promising, so I know his five months away from us isn’t all for naught. We’re all making sacrifices, each of the three of us, but I can honestly say that we are happier now than we have ever been. We miss one another like crazy fools, but that’s not such a bad thing. There is something so freeing about stepping off the ledge and putting faith in each other and our abilities. This little Ohana has wings (and a healthy dose of pixie dust!). We get just this one life, and we’d be fools not to spend it chasing our dreams.

Up next… a February trip report. You didn’t really think all my whining about taking a baby to WDW would actually keep us away, did you?! Here’s to hoping I get it written and posted before Lucas turns two. :D

Ahhh, it’s good to be back. I’ve missed you, my friends.

For some reason, this post got me all choked up lol. I totally feel ya :)

PolynesianPrincess

Holly, the pictures of Lucas with his ears on made me tear up. And so did the little paragraph about your hill at the Poly. My sister just kind of looked at me and I said "Reading a trip report" and she understood lol she knows how emotional I get over reading TR's on here!!

Hooray for Brett's internship! How exciting!! It may seem like 5 months is a long time, but in reality, it's not so bad and it will fly by.

Can't wait to read about your Ohana's second Disney adventure! :)

joanna71985

Day 4 – Monday, October 15: Exhaustion… and the sweet little moment that made it all worthwhile.

We started off our morning at the Studios with this cutie...

IMG_7564.jpg

It was frustrating. We were tired after another rough night and it was clearly taking its toll on us as we became increasingly more agitated with one another over absolutely nothing. Eventually we just left. We strolled out of the park and I had another semi-meltdown as we walked to the car. Sigh. It was all histrionics and drama (mostly me, but a little him) about how traveling with a baby is oh so hard and wah, wah, wah. There was even talk of how we should wait years before Lucas' next trip. You know, bring him back as a teenager. :D Hah. {{I’m typing this 2 months after the fact, and laughing out loud at myself –he’s already returned for his second visit AND his third is planned for two weeks from today}} Seriously though, sleep deprivation is the worst sort of torture – it screws with the mind!

Of course, once we were back in the room, this boy melted the hearts of a couple parental units with his charm…

IMG_7585.jpg

And all was right with the world. We were quickly reminded it was all worth it, every last minute of sleep lost. SO. TOTALLY. WORTH. IT. That face!

So what are the odds we would be able to meet up? I would love to get to meet the baby

IMG_7762.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7767e5x7.jpg

Lucas started cooing and talking up a storm as soon as we put the ears on him. As Kelly (@sweetpee1993) said on Instagram, Lucas’ mouseketeer status was officially official! And I cried, for the seventy-second millionth time during the trip, I cried. It may have been the most exhausting and difficult trip of our lives, but it was pretty fantastic, too.

And you better believe the B&W is in a frame at our house!

I love these pictures! He is too cute

tiaragirl

Aw, this TR is over and it's still tugging at my heart strings!
The little cutie with his ears and his sword and his lovely parental units. Happy happy!
I wish you were leaving in THREE weeks, not two, because then I'd be there at the same time! Shoulda coordinated, girl!
And finally - I love your "favourite" picture - mom-tastic and it shows off that you continue to be stylin' despite the babes!

Kristia

Loved your trip report and congrats to Brett on the internship! It must be incredibly hard for both of you to be apart but hopefully great things will come of it!! Can't wait for your next report. Love all your pictures!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Oh, the "ears" pictures are sooo adorable I have to SQUEEEEALL!! Not surprising that those pics made you cry--they almost did me, too.

Glad the trip ended well. Thanks for taking the time to share it all!

Ariel484

Fabulous report as usual, my friend. Love the ears pictures, and GREAT idea to take pictures of Lucas "pulling" the sword out of the stone.

Have a fabulous trip! :)

ILDisneyFan

AWESOME trip report, I enjoyed reading every last bit of it! I'm not married yet and I have no children but I can imagine when it does happen I will want to go as soon as possible too! Disney is such a "magical" place and should be experienced by all no matter if you're a few weeks/months old or 100 years old! Also, congratulations to Brett on getting an internship with Disney! That's exciting! Can't wait to read your next trip report! :D

diddy_mouse

Wonderful report as usual. :) The mouseketeer pictures were just beyond adorable and definitely give your heart a nice little squeeze. And it's like you said...moments like that are what make it all worth while. Love that you revisited your hill with the complete Ohana. Couldn't have picked a better spot for the last night of the first family trip.

Such big changes in the Hollybelle house! Congrats to Brett on his internship, the time will definitely fly by. Looking forward to the new Disney adventures you guys have in store! Thanks (as always) for sharing! :D

MillerPoppins

Holly!!!! Like you, life has gotten in the way of me being on these boards as much as I'd like to. I just read your report and your little man is a DOLL!! What a cutie pie! I can understand how rough of a transition and experience it must have been for you trying to adjust to a little one's schedule. But I'm so happy you guys had such a good time! The pictures are fantastic and I hope the five of us can meet up one day when you guys are down!

disneyfan1995

Great trip report! I enjoyed reading it a lot! I absolutely love the picture of Lucas in his Mickey Mouse ears! They're definitely an essential souvenir of a first trip to Disney! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom