A Whole New World: An October 2012 Trip Report

Alternately titled the “We’re those people now!” trip report!

Well hello there, wdwmagic, please allow me to introduce myself. I’m hollybelle. And, once upon a time, I was not the mother of a little pint sized pirate baby. And in those days (despite what I may have thought then), I had all the time in the world to write trip reports, stalk trip reports, comment on trip reports, and daydream about trip reports; in other words, overdose on all things trip reports. It was one of my daily addictions.

These days, I delight in small personal victories when it comes to “free” time. Showers and sleep (and laundry and cleaning) almost always win out when those heavenly little slices of quietness drift my way. So to all my wdwmagic friends, please accept my humblest of apologies for not commenting on each of your reports over the last year. It is seriously shocking to think I dropped off the face of the trip reports forum that long ago. While I may not be commenting, I have at least been lurking in the shadows, like the creepiest of creepers. Violet (my iPad) has been my trusty sidekick lately and while she makes it easy to peruse the interwebs during all those late night feedings with Lucas, typing up comments is another thing entirely.

Luckily for me, during a couple slow days here and there at work I was able to carve out some time to write this trip report {{that was in December – sadly it took another two months to find the time to upload photos and post}}. It was very important to me that I find the time to write it, because it feels like a big milestone in the story that is our lives. I mean, I wrote about our engagement, our wedding, and Lucas’ birth. Writing about his very first trip to the World certainly qualifies as a “must” in my book!

IMG_8508e5x7.jpg

Who: The handsome little Ohana pictured above (taken in November when Lucas was around four months old)
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter
When: October 12-16, 2012
Why: Because we couldn’t wait to introduce our little man to the happiest place on earth

::SPOILER ALERT:: It wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows! Even though we thought we had adjusted our expectations accordingly prior to the trip, we quickly learned they needed further adjusting upon arrival. This trip was about small victories for us. And I hope you enjoy sharing in those, as well as getting a good laugh out of our missteps in parenthood, as you read along. Brett and I like to think we’re Disney veterans and know all there is to know about our happy place, but with a three month old baby in tow… it was a whole new world!

I had all intentions of photographing every single second of this trip. But, you know, best laid plans and all that. Instead, I’m now doing my best to string together enough shots to tell the story. I’d say it’s a regret, but in truth, we were just trying our best to survive. Hah. Let the adventure begin.

Ariel484

Woohoo! Welcome back! :)

You all are a very handsome Ohana indeed! I love Lucas' little striped bodysuits.

Your daycare story...poor Lucas, and poor you and Brett. I'm sure that was incredibly frustrating. I'm irritated on your behalf. WHY would a person come into work sick?? :mad: Glad you guys found a new place.

Love Lucas' mirror shots and the Mickey sleeves on his car seat! They remind me of your camera straps...present from grandma?? :)

I'm with you on the creeps at POFQ. I think the resort looks so nice and I've heard great things about it, but all of the clowns or whatever they are just CREEP ME OUT.

Okay, I had a total airhead moment...when I read about "exciting things on the horizon" for you guys I immediately was like "OMG, they're having another baby!"...oh wait, that's not it. DUH. :D I hear you on the DDP too. We had it for a couple of trips awhile back (which was kind of fun because we felt like we were back in college, just swiping for our meals), but since then we've been paying out of pocket and using Tables in Wonderland, and we like it much better. I'd love to keep doing that, but I know we won't have APs forever.

After our most recent trip, I want a Duffy too! At least you can use Lucas as your excuse...I have none. :D Just a late 20-year-old that wants a super-soft teddy bear.

Glad you liked LeFou's brew. I barely tasted the apple at all when I tried it. Mine seemed like it was all mango...maybe I got a bad glass? I think butterbeer wins for me. Honesty, I'm a wee bit jealous that you were able to go into New Fantasyland not really knowing what to expect. I tried hard to avoid pictures, videos, other opinions, etc. but I definitely had some preconceived ideas of what to expect when we were there in person for the first time, both of the land as a whole and of the Little Mermaid ride.

Wow, your M&G pictures in Storybook Circus look great, even with the horrendous lighting! Did your external flash help with that, or editing, or something different? Just the magical power of Monstro? Love the Donald shot...that is HILARIOUS.
THIS PICTURE. DEAD. Love it...Lucas' expression is perfect.

You know, I think this is the first trip report I've read from someone who took a baby to WDW. Really interesting info on the baby care centers, good places to change diapers, etc. I really love your honesty and hate that you feel like people were judging you guys. It's really a good reminder to those of us that don't (yet) have kids to think about it from the parents' perspective, especially if they're obviously doing the best they can (as you guys were).

Glad to have you back and hope things are going well for you and the boys! :)

angieandtrevor

Oh Holly, I am loving your report !! I almost feel like you are telling our story :) Fast forward 2 years and you will be traveling with the best little boy. I really mean that !! We have always been the type of parents who take their little one everywhere they go (well; within reason of course) but we never wanted to be the family that ever disrupted anyone else so we were always very conscience of that. Well let me tell you it was the best thing we have every done because we can take Mr. O with us anywhere and he is "almost" always a perfect little boy. I truly believe that it has to do with what you get them accustomed to. We love to travel and we can see that Oliver shares that love with us, which is a good thing since we may have had to trade him in, lol.

I can't believe how itty bitty Lucas looks in these pictures. The thing I miss the most about that age is how their little bum curled out when you picked them up. I miss those moments :( The older they get the less cuddles you get however I am not afraid to admit that I still go in Oliver's room after he has fallen asleep just so I can pick him up to rock him just for a few minutes......a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do !!

Can't wait to read more.....oh and it was well worth the wait :) :) :)

Kristia

Welcome back Holly!! Loving your trip report as always! Your pictures of Lucas are just precious. I don't have kids, so I can't speak from experience, but you guys sound like you are doing everything right! Yes, some people may say that you shouldn't bring an infant but you guys let him dictate the schedule rather than vice versa. We always see so many people where they have little kids and infants out for evening EMH and everyone is just miserable. I think people sometimes lose sight of the fact that if you want to go with infants and kids you have to make adjustments. Don't let the people making the snarky comments bother you. Luckily, you will probably never see that person again, so who cares what they think. I know, easier said than done when in that situation. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your 'Ohana!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Welcome Back!!!! (I sure miss the old clapping smiley) Love the report, it's perfectly titled and a great read so far. Your little redhead is one of the most gorgeous babies of all time. How unfortunate that he wasn't feeling well on his first trip.

sweetpee_1993

I couldn't resist!

Well let me tell you it was the best thing we have every done because we can take Mr. O with us anywhere and he is "almost" always a perfect little boy. I truly believe that it has to do with what you get them accustomed to. We love to travel and we can see that Oliver shares that love with us, which is a good thing since we may have had to trade him in, lol.

That's true! If you want your little ones to know how to behave in public and handle traveling the way you do you just gotta get them out there and show 'em. My mother-in-law always told me she tried to work her babies' schedules and teach them so that it would be easy for anyone to step in and maintain in her absence. That was good advice. I always tried to do things so the baby's "norm" was as simple as possible. This doesn't end with baby-hood either. My mother-in-law also told me she tried to raise her boys with the thought that she someday wanted her daughter-in-laws to really like her. Um, yeah! Tracey taught ME to cook. He taught ME to iron. I never have to ask him to help clean the kitchen or that sort of thing. I never had to ask him to do anything with the boys when they were babies. It all fell into place. Well, and he used to get the occasional phone call from his mom telling him she thought he needed to tighten up more. So funny! He'd call and ask, "Have you been talking to my mother???" Nope. She did that stuff on her own. LOL! But that's how I continue to try to raise my boys. I teach 'em all the little things including awareness so that someday my daughter-in-laws will appreciate me the way I do Tracey's mom! And I'll prob'ly call 'em every once in a while to do my mom thing then, too. Just a little mother/son thing I couldn't not say to my moms-of-sons compadres out there. ;)

I can't believe how itty bitty Lucas looks in these pictures. The thing I miss the most about that age is how their little bum curled out when you picked them up. I miss those moments :( The older they get the less cuddles you get however I am not afraid to admit that I still go in Oliver's room after he has fallen asleep just so I can pick him up to rock him just for a few minutes......a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do !!

Can't wait to read more.....oh and it was well worth the wait :) :) :)

What I miss is sitting "Indian style" and being able to lay their curled up little bundled bodies in the crook of my legs. I would like to offer that even though you don't get to hold them to your bosom as they get older the way you did when they were your little babies, the moments to hold and rock them have not vanished completely for me and you both know that's pretty astounding considering the size of my oldest "baby". At least once a day at least they will come to me for some Mom. Now that they're older sometimes it's them coming to give me the kiss and cuddle. Can you imagine being held and rocked by your little bundles??? Eventually, that happens. If I'm upset or crying over whatever trivial thing sets me off one or both will come to me to comfort me. It is exactly like the Robert Munsch book "I Love You Forever". I get to hold them near to me which they now do in return to me and it's every bit as magical a mommy-moment as it is when you're snuggling your little bundles close to your heart. It never ends, girls. Don't be too sad.

Oh! Secret mom confession that I'm sure I would could get killed for! Brian still gives me that looks sometimes that says, "Talk to me like you used to." It's a smile and a way he does his eyes. So I'll hug him close and smooth his hair back and whisper sweet baby-talk telling him he's my "Boo" and he's my baby always and stuff. He even does little baby talk moments back when he says real soft, "Always", or "you're my mommy always". It's really sweet. He doesn't really hide it as much in front of Chandler or Tracey. He's super discreet with it in front of anyone else. It won't be as obvious but he'll peck me on the cheek or put an arm around my shoulders and whisper a little something to me. They're always our babies, y'all. Always.

tiaragirl

Holly! Welcome back - I'm sure you're feeling the love. Hopefully Lucas is, too - we're all CLEARLY in love with him. What an adorable baby, despite being unhappy.

This TR seems to point to a different kind of magic than we're all used to. Props to you for finding the time to write and upload it :) Instead of go-go-go, it's more little moments and a new kind of flexibility. It's nice to see everything from the side of the people with the crying baby.. perspective! We were all that crying baby at some point, cut them some slack.

I'm enjoying your "those people" comments - sometimes the Disney-frequenters get high and mighty about the "best" way to do things.. there's more to Disney magic than parking in the right parking lot, people! It's about Donald trying his voodoo to make you smile!

Love this! And your Ohana!

disneygirl1

OMG!!! Congrats to both you and Brett on the newest addition to your family! I had no idea!!! Wishing you all the best!

Welcome back to the boards! :)

Dumbo2675

Welcome Back Holly,
Great pictures of little 4 month old Lucas and you DH Brett. Always glad to read trip reports and see how much fun everyone as at the Happiest Place on Earth (Walt Disney World) I soon will be going again this coming October if I can get my hind quarter in gear to put things together.

meganw1985

I couldn't resist!

That's true! If you want your little ones to know how to behave in public and handle traveling the way you do you just gotta get them out there and show 'em. My mother-in-law always told me she tried to work her babies' schedules and teach them so that it would be easy for anyone to step in and maintain in her absence. That was good advice. I always tried to do things so the baby's "norm" was as simple as possible. This doesn't end with baby-hood either. My mother-in-law also told me she tried to raise her boys with the thought that she someday wanted her daughter-in-laws to really like her. Um, yeah! Tracey taught ME to cook. He taught ME to iron. I never have to ask him to help clean the kitchen or that sort of thing. I never had to ask him to do anything with the boys when they were babies. It all fell into place. Well, and he used to get the occasional phone call from his mom telling him she thought he needed to tighten up more. So funny! He'd call and ask, "Have you been talking to my mother???" Nope. She did that stuff on her own. LOL! But that's how I continue to try to raise my boys. I teach 'em all the little things including awareness so that someday my daughter-in-laws will appreciate me the way I do Tracey's mom! And I'll prob'ly call 'em every once in a while to do my mom thing then, too. Just a little mother/son thing I couldn't not say to my moms-of-sons compadres out there. ;)

What I miss is sitting "Indian style" and being able to lay their curled up little bundled bodies in the crook of my legs. I would like to offer that even though you don't get to hold them to your bosom as they get older the way you did when they were your little babies, the moments to hold and rock them have not vanished completely for me and you both know that's pretty astounding considering the size of my oldest "baby". At least once a day at least they will come to me for some Mom. Now that they're older sometimes it's them coming to give me the kiss and cuddle. Can you imagine being held and rocked by your little bundles??? Eventually, that happens. If I'm upset or crying over whatever trivial thing sets me off one or both will come to me to comfort me. It is exactly like the Robert Munsch book "I Love You Forever". I get to hold them near to me which they now do in return to me and it's every bit as magical a mommy-moment as it is when you're snuggling your little bundles close to your heart. It never ends, girls. Don't be too sad.

Oh! Secret mom confession that I'm sure I would could get killed for! Brian still gives me that looks sometimes that says, "Talk to me like you used to." It's a smile and a way he does his eyes. So I'll hug him close and smooth his hair back and whisper sweet baby-talk telling him he's my "Boo" and he's my baby always and stuff. He even does little baby talk moments back when he says real soft, "Always", or "you're my mommy always". It's really sweet. He doesn't really hide it as much in front of Chandler or Tracey. He's super discreet with it in front of anyone else. It won't be as obvious but he'll peck me on the cheek or put an arm around my shoulders and whisper a little something to me. They're always our babies, y'all. Always.

Kelly, I hope my boys end up half as good as your boys! I <3 them with all my heart, and while Brett still likes me now, the pre-teen years are closing in on me and I'm dreading them terribly :( I want him to always come and give me a goodnight kiss and want to cuddle!

WishIWasAtWDW

Woo hoo! Holly's back! :D You were gone so long. I guess you had a good (and extremely precious) reason. Lucas is ADORABLE! That red hair. Oh my goodness. Just adorable.

I'm so sorry your first trip with the little man was so stressful. And that is too bad that he was so sick for his first trip! That must have been so hard for Disney vets like yourselves to become "those people". I'm sorry to say that I had a good laugh every time you said you were one of those people. Hahaha :D You know that we've all been there a time or two.

You all are such troopers! I can only imagine the stress of a being new mom and then add all the stresses that a trip to WDW can bring...wow. Mad props to you all! I love the picture of Brett and Lucas after your boat ride back from DTD. Brett's face says it all.

I can't wait to read more!

PartOfYourWorld

So great to see a Holly trip report!!!! And with the new little guy in tow!!!!

I can't even imagine how tough it is to take a little one to WDW (hey I'll probably be one of those people in the far distant future LOL) but you guys seems like you did pretty well with him considering the not so fun parts!!!

I have to say by far my favorite picture is the one where he is staring at Sebastian like "Who and what is that and get it off my stroller...NOW" LOVE IT.

And I am very very happy that his first ride in the world was one of my favorites :) Looking forward to the rest!!!

diddy_mouse

Holly! Very glad to see a trip report from you, and what a momentous one it is!

I know this isn't the first time you've heard this but Lucas is nothing short of ADORABLE. :D Also glad to know you liked the French Quarter. The DDP definitely isn't for everyone because you end up getting a ton of food. I know we like to use it on long(ish) trips but it serves no purpose when we go for a weekend -- too much food not enough time.

You're pictures are fantastic (as per usual :)) So many memories from Lucas' first visit.

Txrayado

My wife and I are getting ready for our next trip and I must say we debated long and hard weather or not to take our 14 month old. In the end grandma wanted her week with the grand baby. One of my points was that even if she is little her moments of babbles and the giggles would out way any frustrations the trip would bring. Our little one defiantly has her days and when she is sick I would do anything to make her feel better. I can't wait to see more of your trip.

DisneyFan1003

Holly! Loving the report....bringing back sweet memories of Addie's first trip when we too became "those people"! Welcome to the club! Looking forward to the rest..... :)

Bethany M

YAYYY!! I'm so happy!!! We've missed you around the parts!!! My son Charlie was born a couple of months before baby Lucas! Charlie was born April 19th :)

Lucas is ADORABLE!!!!! He is beyond presh!!! We took Charlie in January when he was 9 months old and it was DEFINITELY slower than normal pace, but a wonderful experience bringing along our pride and joy :) :) :).

Can't wait to read more!!!

Couldn't contain myself! Your son and I share a birthday!

fractal

Holly,

Congrats again to you and Brett on the addition to the family! Lucas is certainly a handsome devil. You are blessed.

I'm now catching up and was excited to see you post a new Trip Report - Just a few weeks ago I was wondering how you were doing and
hoping you had made it to the World as a party of three. So far I love your perspective as a new mother in WDW with an infant. It is bringing back
memories of feeling like a pack mule while hauling around the little one's gear. :)

GoalieGirl16

Holly, I just wanted to let you know that your wedding trip report was what finally made my fiancé 100% sure about us having a Disney Wedding. You little guy is so adorable! And I am really enjoying this trip report! It is providing me with some hints to pass on to my brother and sister-in-law for doing the parks with my nephew!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom