What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
:lookaroun I think you may be speaking for yourself.
:lol: I think PML loves them some Gary.

That's nothing...the finish line photo shows the tan lines on my thighs, and my Donald Duck tattoos peaking out...yes I "walk" the walk.

Real name is Donald Duck...I wish. It's nick, but Donald is fine...humor me.
That a boy.

Same here...I'm only 5'3" and 131 lbs (used to be a close to death 92lbs...but that's another story) I should be singing in the It's a Small World ride. I think my running stride is like 5 inches...:D
Now that is funny. I didnt think I would meet anyone shorter than my wife... but she has a inch on you Nick.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
:lol: I think PML loves them some Gary.

That a boy.

Now that is funny. I didnt think I would meet anyone shorter than my wife... but she has a inch on you Nick.

*looks down at feet in shame*

I should totally be cast as Donald in MK...I already missed the August casting auditions though.

joel_maxwell

Staying true to the thread, 3.75 miles yesterday. My right shin was on fire so I didnt complete the 4 miles required. Im still trying to find the combination of why some days that shin hurts like hell and some days it doesnt. It almost seems like the days I stretch my shin are the days it hurts.

I need to get to the bottom of it. I also might have something to do with the fact that it was 101 when I went running. I doubt it though.

joel_maxwell

*looks down at feet in shame*

I should totally be cast as Donald in MK...I already missed the August casting auditions though.
That would be cool.

I always thought Id be at a huge disadvantage against a tall 6'5" guy that is skinny. Kind of my nemesis. I actually beat his best time at the Mercedes by 1 second. You know that had to hurt his ego. Then my next race, I was determined to smoke him even more so I beat his best half time by 4 minutes and 30 seconds.

I like being the exact size I am. I am me.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Staying true to the thread, 3.75 miles yesterday. My right shin was on fire so I didnt complete the 4 miles required. Im still trying to find the combination of why some days that shin hurts like hell and some days it doesnt. It almost seems like the days I stretch my shin are the days it hurts.

I need to get to the bottom of it. I also might have something to do with the fact that it was 101 when I went running. I doubt it though.

Running pains are weird. SOme days my midfoot kills and the next day I feel nothing.

I'll post my numbers when I return later this morning. Today is my long run...

Blueliner

Work has been absolutely killing me the past week and a half. This morning I ran for the first time this week. I figured I better make it my long run just in case other things get in the way this weekend.

I ended up running 9 miles at a 9:45 pace. That is a slightly better pace than my tranining plan called for, but a little off the pace of my last long run. Honestly, it didn't feel all that great until the last 1.5 miles or so. For some reason I could not get into a normal, comfortable stride. It might be that I have been traning in that late afternoon for the past 6 weeks and this is the first time I got up for an early morning run. It also might have been a little rustiness. Has that happened to anyone else around here lately?

It has been a while since I got on this thread, and I loved catching up with what everyone has been doing. This thread has been a great way for me to stay accountable and keep motivated (as if training for a race in WDW is not enough).

Wilt Dasney, I used the Hal Higdon novice marathon training plan for my first full marathon (San Francisco, July 2005). If you are able to stick pretty close to the plan, I think you'll be well-prepared to finish the marathon. Back in the fall 2004-winter 2005, I kind of went through the same analysis as you. I had done quite a few 10Ks growing up, but nothing longer than that. I got back into running and signed up for my first half marathon (which was in February 2005). From there I looked at the marathon tranining program and thought, "I'll just keep slowly adding the mileage and should be fine." It was kind of like Forrest Gump - I just kept running. It was great to add a mile to the long run each week and marvel at the distances I was starting to cover (not at a very quick pace, but that didn't matter). The key is to build gradually, which the Higdon plans definitely do.

Phonedave

Good luck!!:sohappy:

Wow! You're only 210? I'm about 5'7" (though I usually tell people 5'8":lookaroun) and I'm about 210 (though I usually tell people 200:lookaroun).

My body is just completely wrong for running. Not only am I short and fat, but I think my legs are dispraportionately short for my height (my wife's shorter than me and her butt's about 6 inches higher than mine if I stand next to her)

Why do I do this? Am I just an idiot?:hammer:

. . . oh yeah, that's right. It gives me an excuse to go to Disney World now that my son's too old to go.:eek:

Right now it's more like 215 (shhhh don't tell anybody). I'll cut it to the 202 - 205 range for a big race. I have been doing a lot of eating (parties, BBQ, all you can eat sushi, etc) and less running than normal as of late. 210 is where I like to float.

-dave

fractal

Good luck!!:sohappy:

Wow! You're only 210? I'm about 5'7" (though I usually tell people 5'8":lookaroun) and I'm about 210 (though I usually tell people 200:lookaroun).

My body is just completely wrong for running. Not only am I short and fat, but I think my legs are dispraportionately short for my height (my wife's shorter than me and her butt's about 6 inches higher than mine if I stand next to her)

Why do I do this? Am I just an idiot?:hammer:

. . . oh yeah, that's right. It gives me an excuse to go to Disney World now that my son's too old to go.:eek:

I'm with you. :D I'm 6'0 about 230 with short, thick legs. If I had a normal sized torso I'd be about 5'8. Just wasn't built to be a "runner" but I "jog" to keep my body moving and my weight down. Eight years ago I was 300lbs and couldn't jog more than a minute. :eek:

Just gotta keep movin'.

joel_maxwell

Running pains are weird. SOme days my midfoot kills and the next day I feel nothing.

I'll post my numbers when I return later this morning. Today is my long run...
Ok, good. Not good that you have random pains like that, but good that Im not the only one. I knew I wasnt, but it is good to hear people have the same challenges.

Work has been absolutely killing me the past week and a half. This morning I ran for the first time this week. I figured I better make it my long run just in case other things get in the way this weekend.

I ended up running 9 miles at a 9:45 pace. That is a slightly better pace than my tranining plan called for, but a little off the pace of my last long run. Honestly, it didn't feel all that great until the last 1.5 miles or so. For some reason I could not get into a normal, comfortable stride. It might be that I have been traning in that late afternoon for the past 6 weeks and this is the first time I got up for an early morning run. It also might have been a little rustiness. Has that happened to anyone else around here lately?

It has been a while since I got on this thread, and I loved catching up with what everyone has been doing. This thread has been a great way for me to stay accountable and keep motivated (as if training for a race in WDW is not enough).

Wilt Dasney, I used the Hal Higdon novice marathon training plan for my first full marathon (San Francisco, July 2005). If you are able to stick pretty close to the plan, I think you'll be well-prepared to finish the marathon. Back in the fall 2004-winter 2005, I kind of went through the same analysis as you. I had done quite a few 10Ks growing up, but nothing longer than that. I got back into running and signed up for my first half marathon (which was in February 2005). From there I looked at the marathon tranining program and thought, "I'll just keep slowly adding the mileage and should be fine." It was kind of like Forrest Gump - I just kept running. It was great to add a mile to the long run each week and marvel at the distances I was starting to cover (not at a very quick pace, but that didn't matter). The key is to build gradually, which the Higdon plans definitely do.
Wow. Congrats. Ok.. if you are comfortable with it, I think you need to post a picture of you in this event. That would be a very challenging city to run a marathon in. Dang.

Wilt Dasney

Hey, thanks for that! It's nice to hear from someone who's been in a similar spot. I know it's going to be tough, but I'm feeling more encouraged about the challenge.

Following an hour long lightning delay yesterday, I set out at 10:30 p.m. :)eek:) for 3 miles/31 minutes. It's weird to me, but it seems like when I run 3 days in a row, the 3rd day feels a lot easier than the 1st day. It seems counterintuitive to me, but I guess my body needs a couple days to "break in" for the week or something.

joel_maxwell

Hey, thanks for that! It's nice to hear from someone who's been in a similar spot. I know it's going to be tough, but I'm feeling more encouraged about the challenge.

Following an hour long lightning delay yesterday, I set out at 10:30 p.m. :)eek:) for 3 miles/31 minutes. It's weird to me, but it seems like when I run 3 days in a row, the 3rd day feels a lot easier than the 1st day. It seems counterintuitive to me, but I guess my body needs a couple days to "break in" for the week or something.
I do the samething some times. I dont really like the schedule im on now that is T, TH, F, Sun schedule. I liked the more back to back and possibly 2 days rest before a long long run and all the maintenance runs being all grouped together.

Ill be yalls boat come November. February 13th Im going for a Full.

Blueliner

Ok, good. Not good that you have random pains like that, but good that Im not the only one. I knew I wasnt, but it is good to hear people have the same challenges.

Wow. Congrats. Ok.. if you are comfortable with it, I think you need to post a picture of you in this event. That would be a very challenging city to run a marathon in. Dang.

I'll have to dig around and see if we have any pictures at the house from that marathon. I am pretty sure I didn't order any of them, but maybe I still have some proofs.

It was a great experience, the hills notwithstanding. I had studied the topography very closely and had prepared for the climb up from the path along the bay to the Golden Gate Bridge at about mile 5 (120 feet of elevation gain in about 2/10 of a mile). The problem was that I kind of overlooked the remaining rolling hills over the next 17 miles or so, before the course dropped back down to the waterfront. :dazzle:

Blueliner

Good luck to you! To me, there's something epic and mythical about 26.2. However, it's also reasonably attainable, unlike, say, reaching the summit of Mount Everest (the real one). The distance is unforgiving in the sense that you really can't fake your way through it. You have to put in the work over a long period of time to get ready, which makes race day very rewarding. However, even with all that training, there is no way to avoid the pain that sets in during the latter stages of the race. For some it comes earlier than others. For me, it seems to be about mile 18-19 (whether training or racing). You just have to push through it, which also can be very rewarding.

I am not a regular marathoner, largely due to time constraints, but partly because of the toll the training and racing takes on my body. Some people can run them back to back to back, but I am not one of those people. However, now that I have gotten talking about it, I'm sure I'll start investigating marathons that dovetail with the Wine and Dine traininig.

joel_maxwell

I'll have to dig around and see if we have any pictures at the house from that marathon. I am pretty sure I didn't order any of them, but maybe I still have some proofs.

It was a great experience, the hills notwithstanding. I had studied the topography very closely and had prepared for the climb up from the path along the bay to the Golden Gate Bridge at about mile 5 (120 feet of elevation gain in about 2/10 of a mile). The problem was that I kind of overlooked the remaining rolling hills over the next 17 miles or so, before the course dropped back down to the waterfront. :dazzle:
Ouch. Please look for some pics. That would be neat too see. I bet they still have them online. I still get emails about stuff from February this past year.

Good luck to you! To me, there's something epic and mythical about 26.2. However, it's also reasonably attainable, unlike, say, reaching the summit of Mount Everest (the real one). The distance is unforgiving in the sense that you really can't fake your way through it. You have to put in the work over a long period of time to get ready, which makes race day very rewarding. However, even with all that training, there is no way to avoid the pain that sets in during the latter stages of the race. For some it comes earlier than others. For me, it seems to be about mile 18-19 (whether training or racing). You just have to push through it, which also can be very rewarding.

I am not a regular marathoner, largely due to time constraints, but partly because of the toll the training and racing takes on my body. Some people can run them back to back to back, but I am not one of those people. However, now that I have gotten talking about it, I'm sure I'll start investigating marathons that dovetail with the Wine and Dine traininig.
I think that Im going to morph into a Full training after 2 or 3 days recovery after the W&D. If you want a challenge, and since you are experienced, you can run the Mercedes Full that I am going to attempt. Im sure around mile 20 Ill need some serious motivation. I am about 90% sure Im going to try it. I think the course this year isnt going to be the double loop. I just dont see how people like double loops. Mentally that is just torture.

I might as well, this time next year we might have a newborn and squeezing in time for something like a Full with a 3 year old and newborn just wont be easy or conducive. It is now or wait a few years.

There is always Nashville too if I just cant make the Feb 13th Full.

Oh, staying true to the thread: schedule called for a light 2 miles. I dont think so. I wanted redemption from yesterdays shin problems. 2 miles = 15:33. Still a little soreness, but I have started my shin strengthening routine again.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
10.51 miles yesterday at a 9min pace. I was supposed to do 13mi but I am being cautious of my right hip/thigh again and didn't want to push it...a little disappointing.

Today was awful. Pain in both of my mid-foot areas and the same hip pain, so, very unlike me, I just did 3.29mi at 7:30min pace. Trying to run smarter than I have been for the past few weeks, which resulted in high mileage.

We'll see what happens tomorrow...unitl then...

Cheers.

Texas84

Ran my first official 5K this morning and had my best time ever. Lot's of fun! Galloway's books work. Temps were in the 80's and humidity upper 90's. A few 10K racers passed out. I still think I'm 2 years from a half marathon. Might try a 10K next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom