What did you do?

Blueliner

Ouch. Please look for some pics. That would be neat too see. I bet they still have them online. I still get emails about stuff from February this past year.

I think that Im going to morph into a Full training after 2 or 3 days recovery after the W&D. If you want a challenge, and since you are experienced, you can run the Mercedes Full that I am going to attempt. Im sure around mile 20 Ill need some serious motivation. I am about 90% sure Im going to try it. I think the course this year isnt going to be the double loop. I just dont see how people like double loops. Mentally that is just torture.

I might as well, this time next year we might have a newborn and squeezing in time for something like a Full with a 3 year old and newborn just wont be easy or conducive. It is now or wait a few years.

There is always Nashville too if I just cant make the Feb 13th Full.

Oh, staying true to the thread: schedule called for a light 2 miles. I dont think so. I wanted redemption from yesterdays shin problems. 2 miles = 15:33. Still a little soreness, but I have started my shin strengthening routine again.

I may have to join you for the Mercedes Marathon. Another alternative would be the First Light Marathon in Mobile on January 9. I have done the Mercedes 1/2 twice. One year the course went over the mountain on the Red Mountain Expressway Redmont neighborhood, and then the next year it went over the mountain on Green Springs. Both times it cam back over the mountain near the Redmont neighborhood. In choosing between the agony of a double loop or the agony of two trips over Red Mountain, I think it might be a toss-up.

Great work on your run.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I want to preface this by saying I can run faster than this . . . :lookaroun

. . . really I can . . . :lookaroun

But I'm focused this year on coaching my wife who is a complete amateur at this and has never done anything like this.

At 45 years old, just being able to go 13 miles will be a HUGE accomplishment for her.

She says she'll be happy if she can run a couple miles, hop on the bus and head back to the pool for margaritas.

But while that's her plan, I intend to try to drag her - kicking and screaming if necessary - across the finish line. . . though I haven't told her that yet:lookaroun. . . and she doesn't read these forums.:lookaroun

Anyway, with that in mind, we went 4 miles this morning in 56 minutes, so about 14 minutes per mile. That's pretty good for her.:sohappy:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I may have to join you for the Mercedes Marathon. Another alternative would be the First Light Marathon in Mobile on January 9. I have done the Mercedes 1/2 twice. One year the course went over the mountain on the Red Mountain Expressway Redmont neighborhood, and then the next year it went over the mountain on Green Springs. Both times it cam back over the mountain near the Redmont neighborhood. In choosing between the agony of a double loop or the agony of two trips over Red Mountain, I think it might be a toss-up.

Great work on your run.
HOLY COW. I didnt realize that they went over Red Mtn twice. That double loop might not be so bad if they repeat that. To all that dont realize what Red Mtn is, this statue sits on top of Red Mtn... and you would run from Downtown in the distance, up and over this "hill" run a few 15-18 miles and then have to run over it again to come back.

Wow. 18th street would be brutal. :D

vulcan.jpg

Thanks about the run. I was supposed to go run 4 today. Light long day. Nice break, but I have a bad bad case of pink eye and it is quite swollen. Ill try to make it up tomorrow.

fractal

Ran out 2 miles on my trail today in hotter and heavier weather. Then I heard some thunder so I decided to turn back. A few minutes later it started pouring! Ran about 2 miles in the downpour. Actually was pretty cool. That was the longest I ever ran in a heavy rain.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
10.15 yesterday. Super humid and lots of pain in both midfoot and again in right hip. My body is screaming at me to take a day off, but I hate when I miss a run and my head goes in the gutter.

joel_maxwell

10.15 yesterday. Super humid and lots of pain in both midfoot and again in right hip. My body is screaming at me to take a day off, but I hate when I miss a run and my head goes in the gutter.
Take a day off. My wife would be really mad at me right now if I were in your shoes.

dreamfinder

Take the day off. Do a shorter run. Do a bike ride. Anything. Build up of miles is useless if you hose your knee/hip and cannot run at all.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Take the day off. Do a shorter run. Do a bike ride. Anything. Build up of miles is useless if you hose your knee/hip and cannot run at all.

Yes, I did a shorter run. I took a brisk 2.69 mile walk and then ran 4.17 miles (slow 10 min pace to be cautious).

I've been icing every night as well, so hopefully this thorn in my side will go away soon.

I'm missing my 10-13 mile runs...

joel_maxwell

Better to listen to my wife than to listen to myself...she's more logical.
9 times out of 10, when my wife makes a suggestion against me, her rationale wins over my heart's decision.

Yes, I did a shorter run. I took a brisk 2.69 mile walk and then ran 4.17 miles (slow 10 min pace to be cautious).

I've been icing every night as well, so hopefully this thorn in my side will go away soon.

I'm missing my 10-13 mile runs...
There you go.

Ok, Im at home today with a swollen shut eye. Yep. My Adeno Viral Conjunctivitis is really doing well. It was fun running with one eye.

2pm
4 miles
34:37
No shirt, even a tech shirt was just too hot for that short run.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
9 times out of 10, when my wife makes a suggestion against me, her rationale wins over my heart's decision.

There you go.

Ok, Im at home today with a swollen shut eye. Yep. My Adeno Viral Conjunctivitis is really doing well. It was fun running with one eye.

2pm
4 miles
34:37
No shirt, even a tech shirt was just too hot for that short run.

I don't think I have the guts to go skins. I ran past a much older gentleman (about 65 -70 years old I think) yesterday at the beach (who was also getting in his morning run) and he was running shirtless...I think his massive pecs and washboard abs were laughing at me.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I did 2 miles yesterday in 19 minutes which, for me, is really good.

That's probably the fastest I've ever gone for anything over 1 mile.

I'm sort of in an odd situation because I'm planning on running with my wife in January for the half-marathon (I'm hoping to actually see and enjoy some of the sights this time - usually I'm so miserable and just focused on dragging myself to the finish line that's all I can think about and I don't actually enjoy the characters etc.).

My first time, in 2009, I did a 2:47 and this past January I did 2:31, so my plan, if I can, is to take it easy with my wife this January, but train and shoot for 2:00 in 2012.

I can do okay on short runs, but I HATE the long runs. I'm hoping this sort of a long-term schedule will allow me to focus on shorter runs (that I can deal with better) without the pressure of a real half-marathon until a year and half from now.

I realize for most of you that sounds pretty pathetic, but hey, I'm a fat old man with absolutely no talent for running, so I'm doing what I can.:p

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I did 2 miles yesterday in 19 minutes which, for me, is really good.

That's probably the fastest I've ever gone for anything over 1 mile.

I'm sort of in an odd situation because I'm planning on running with my wife in January for the half-marathon (I'm hoping to actually see and enjoy some of the sights this time - usually I'm so miserable and just focused on dragging myself to the finish line that's all I can think about and I don't actually enjoy the characters etc.).

My first time, in 2009, I did a 2:47 and this past January I did 2:31, so my plan, if I can, is to take it easy with my wife this January, but train and shoot for 2:00 in 2012.

I can do okay on short runs, but I HATE the long runs. I'm hoping this sort of a long-term schedule will allow me to focus on shorter runs (that I can deal with better) without the pressure of a real half-marathon until a year and half from now.

I realize for most of you that sounds pretty pathetic, but hey, I'm a fat old man with absolutely no talent for running, so I'm doing what I can.:p

I'm just the opposite. I HATE short runs. I hobble like I'm running barefoot on broken glass for the first mile and 1/2. Once I reach 2 or 3 miles my legs get comfortable and I can get going. The first part of my run is always torture. By mile 8 and 10 I'm numb, and happy as a Pooh with a hunny pot...

joel_maxwell

Nice job Gary. Good time. :wave:

I don't think I have the guts to go skins. I ran past a much older gentleman (about 65 -70 years old I think) yesterday at the beach (who was also getting in his morning run) and he was running shirtless...I think his massive pecs and washboard abs were laughing at me.
:lol: I dont have that at all and his pecs and abs would laugh at me too, but it is like this, I know that i should wear a shirt on long runs so that my sweat will soak the tech shirt and help cool me down, but on short runs (4 and under) I dont start really sweating till around mile 2 or 3. By the time im done I am sweating good, but not enough to make a difference. Pretty much, that shirt just acts as a oven.

I'm just the opposite. I HATE short runs. I hobble like I'm running barefoot on broken glass for the first mile and 1/2. Once I reach 2 or 3 miles my legs get comfortable and I can get going. The first part of my run is always torture. By mile 8 and 10 I'm numb, and happy as a Pooh with a hunny pot...
Aint that the truth. I look and feel horrible for the first 2 miles. My legs are all crazy hurting, my right shin is on fire and my lungs are screaming. Then, around 3 or 4 it all gels.

Does anyone else suffer from this mental challenge. If I am supposed to run 3 or 4 miles that certain day, it feels like at the end of that 3 or 4 I could only have run that and no more. No more, just exhausted. On the days where I have to run 8, 9, 10 etc it feels like I could have only run that and no more. But I always make/accomplish the challenge.

Sometimes when im finishing a Thursday 4 miler and have 11 that Sunday (like this weekend) that 4 miles is almost more challenging than the 11. It might be that I get myself more hyped for bigger runs. It just seems that at the same place on my runs, lets say at mile 2, on a shorter run Im struggling but if I had 9 miles to go instead of just 2, Id be in a lot better place.

I guess it is all mental games.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Nice job Gary. Good time. :wave:

:lol: I dont have that at all and his pecs and abs would laugh at me too, but it is like this, I know that i should wear a shirt on long runs so that my sweat will soak the tech shirt and help cool me down, but on short runs (4 and under) I dont start really sweating till around mile 2 or 3. By the time im done I am sweating good, but not enough to make a difference. Pretty much, that shirt just acts as a oven.

Aint that the truth. I look and feel horrible for the first 2 miles. My legs are all crazy hurting, my right shin is on fire and my lungs are screaming. Then, around 3 or 4 it all gels.

Does anyone else suffer from this mental challenge. If I am supposed to run 3 or 4 miles that certain day, it feels like at the end of that 3 or 4 I could only have run that and no more. No more, just exhausted. On the days where I have to run 8, 9, 10 etc it feels like I could have only run that and no more. But I always make/accomplish the challenge.

Sometimes when im finishing a Thursday 4 miler and have 11 that Sunday (like this weekend) that 4 miles is almost more challenging than the 11. It might be that I get myself more hyped for bigger runs. It just seems that at the same place on my runs, lets say at mile 2, on a shorter run Im struggling but if I had 9 miles to go instead of just 2, Id be in a lot better place.

I guess it is all mental games.

There's the answer my friend...damn mental games.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom