What did you do?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
It's nick, but Donald Duck is fine.

Gotta start using that look-around icon...

Actually I was making a poorly executed request to Steve (WDWMagic) to give us a sarcasm font.:lookaroun

See?:lookaroun

I told you I use :lookaroun a lot.

:lol:

But that is good to know. I'll see if I can get 'Nick' in my brain. I'm pretty bad at remembering names.:hammer:

Wilt Dasney

Nice job Gary. Good time. :wave:

:lol: I dont have that at all and his pecs and abs would laugh at me too, but it is like this, I know that i should wear a shirt on long runs so that my sweat will soak the tech shirt and help cool me down, but on short runs (4 and under) I dont start really sweating till around mile 2 or 3. By the time im done I am sweating good, but not enough to make a difference. Pretty much, that shirt just acts as a oven.

Aint that the truth. I look and feel horrible for the first 2 miles. My legs are all crazy hurting, my right shin is on fire and my lungs are screaming. Then, around 3 or 4 it all gels.

Does anyone else suffer from this mental challenge. If I am supposed to run 3 or 4 miles that certain day, it feels like at the end of that 3 or 4 I could only have run that and no more. No more, just exhausted. On the days where I have to run 8, 9, 10 etc it feels like I could have only run that and no more. But I always make/accomplish the challenge.

Sometimes when im finishing a Thursday 4 miler and have 11 that Sunday (like this weekend) that 4 miles is almost more challenging than the 11. It might be that I get myself more hyped for bigger runs. It just seems that at the same place on my runs, lets say at mile 2, on a shorter run Im struggling but if I had 9 miles to go instead of just 2, Id be in a lot better place.

I guess it is all mental games.

I totally know what you mean by that. When I know I'm going a longer distance (which for me 6 miles is the most I've done so far), I have no trouble locking in on that distance, but when I'm out for 2 or 3, sometimes it feels like I'm just fighting to make it that far. It is weird, and I definitely think it all has to do with expectations. An hour car ride can seem like a huge inconvenience if you expect to get somewhere in 30 minutes, but an 8-hour trip isn't so bad if that's what you're mentally prepared for.

I've been trying to "trick" myself a bit lately by imagining I have a full marathon distance in front of me on my nightly runs. Instead of thinking "1 down, 2 to go" I imagine where that distance fits into the 26-mile scheme...with the knowledge that I'll be stopping at a fraction of the overall distance. :lol:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Actually I was making a poorly executed request to Steve (WDWMagic) to give us a sarcasm font.:lookaroun

See?:lookaroun

I told you I use :lookaroun a lot.

:lol:

But that is good to know. I'll see if I can get 'Nick' in my brain. I'm pretty bad at remembering names.:hammer:

Ah, gotcha. No need to remember. "The Short Guy Who Runs TOO Much For His Own Health" is fine...that's easier to remember:lookaroun (cue the crickets...)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
10.21 miles. Still keeping my pace in check as to not screw myself over.

Maybe time to get new shoes. Always wear Saucony Omni 8 (I'm a severe overpronator) and I have a duplicate back-up pair, but they feel like a completely different shoe for some reason.

Blueliner

This morning was 8 miles at a 9:45 pace. My intention when I started the run was 10 miles. Unfortunately, after 7 miles, the wheels came off.

Initially, I was kind of surprised and disappointed by this development, but I am pretty sure I have it figured out now -- NUTRITION and HYDRATION. :hammer:

I generally have been training in the mid to late afternoon, after fueling up at lunch and drinking all day. The past couple of weeks, work has been crazy, and I have been trying to squeeze in a long run early in the morning. The problem is that I haven't been doing anything specific before the runs to fuel up.

I guess it's better to be reminded of this on a random Thursday morning several weeks out from race day. I definitely am going to get my hydration/nutrition issues worked out over the next several long runs, so that I'll be ready for October 2. I'd never neglect these issues for the race, so it's silly to neglect them in training.

Irony - I forgot about hydration and nutrition issues while training for a race called the Wine and Dine!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Ok, I have to admit. I have struggled with running the last 2 weeks trying to give the no music a try. Until I can read the book "Zen and the Art of Running" Im going to have to still use. It just hasnt been enjoyable the last 2 weeks.

I used today (sounds like a drug addict, LOL) and I was 20-40 seconds faster per mile over 4 miles. I was 1:40 over all faster coming in at 32:56 from the last 2 weeks. I enjoyed it again and ran strong.

So, until my book comes in, im back on the ipod. Something about it helps block out that heat, a little pain here and there and then miles just went by so quick while singing crazy train for example.

Guilty. :D

Wilt Dasney

Still on my Week 1 repeat schedule.

3/30 Tuesday
3/30 Wednesday
3/32 today

I guess the most impressive thing to me is I've made a conscious effort to take it easy and not really worry about time this week, and I'm still coming in at times that required me to really push it a month or 2 ago.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
10.26 miles just now. Legs and feet are still a bit sore. I replaced my insoles with ones that have more shock absorbtion to take the beating off of my knees and hips and it seemd to help slightly.

I'll be lucky if I make 60 miles by Sunday. :hurl:

joel_maxwell

10.26 miles just now. Legs and feet are still a bit sore. I replaced my insoles with ones that have more shock absorbtion to take the beating off of my knees and hips and it seemd to help slightly.

I'll be lucky if I make 60 miles by Sunday. :hurl:
What type insoles do you wear or replace the factory ones with?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
What type insoles do you wear or replace the factory ones with?

I just picked up a sport pair of Dr. scholls. I didn't have the time this week to get to my local RRS and get custom inserts...nor do I really feel like spending the $80...I actually prefer factory inserts, but they wear too quickly.

joel_maxwell

I just picked up a sport pair of Dr. scholls. I didn't have the time this week to get to my local RRS and get custom inserts...nor do I really feel like spending the $80...I actually prefer factory inserts, but they wear too quickly.
I got a pair of fancy inserts from fleet feet. Supposedly they were fitted to my feet and arches. After 3 months of wearing them in my last pair of Asics, I ditched them. They were letting my arch do what it is designed to do at all or even in the lest little bit. It wants to flex down just a bit and is natural. i understand some people have problems with this and that is what some inserts are designed to stop. My arch likes to flex (or pivot) down just a bit. When it wasnt getting to do that, the stress went up my leg into my inside knee. From there, it would sometimes go up into my hip.

Once I took them out it was so nice again that I havent ever thought of getting anything fancy.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I got a pair of fancy inserts from fleet feet. Supposedly they were fitted to my feet and arches. After 3 months of wearing them in my last pair of Asics, I ditched them. They were letting my arch do what it is designed to do at all or even in the lest little bit. It wants to flex down just a bit and is natural. i understand some people have problems with this and that is what some inserts are designed to stop. My arch likes to flex (or pivot) down just a bit. When it wasnt getting to do that, the stress went up my leg into my inside knee. From there, it would sometimes go up into my hip.

Once I took them out it was so nice again that I havent ever thought of getting anything fancy.

I hear ya...go with what works, and factory insoles work just fine for me!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
8.03. feet are feeling a little bit better. Switched insoles again...insoles from my backup pair of Saucony Omni 8 into my older Omni 8s.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Ok, I have to admit. I have struggled with running the last 2 weeks trying to give the no music a try. Until I can read the book "Zen and the Art of Running" Im going to have to still use. It just hasnt been enjoyable the last 2 weeks.

I used today (sounds like a drug addict, LOL) and I was 20-40 seconds faster per mile over 4 miles. I was 1:40 over all faster coming in at 32:56 from the last 2 weeks. I enjoyed it again and ran strong.

So, until my book comes in, im back on the ipod. Something about it helps block out that heat, a little pain here and there and then miles just went by so quick while singing crazy train for example.

Guilty. :D

Gotta love Ozzy and Randy Rhodes.

joel_maxwell

Gotta love Ozzy and Randy Rhodes.
Ah. What a soul that is missed. Randy Rhodes was awesome. Ill say that Zakk Wylde did a great job on the the No More Tears album. I love all of Ozzy's stuff after Sabbath. I could probably put ALL except 2 songson the No More Tears album on my ishuffle to run too.

Sunday is usually my big run day but I did it this morning since I had a lot of yard work to do today and I knew Id be sore tomorrow morning. Besides, I have run a lot this week and my body was really feeling gelled (if that is a word). Today was a little slower than I wanted. I wanted a 8:45 pace (ish). Oh well. I had fun and that is all that matters. :D

11 miles - 1:40:45
9.09 pace

Considering the weather at the W&D and how it is comparable or not as bad as the weather Im training in, Im shooting for 1:50:00. Ill be happy with and 8:30 pace which would be somewhere between 1:50:00 and 1:55:00. Unless the wheels fall off and I have a terrible night, I think this is doable. Realistically, Ill be content with anything under 2:00:00. :D

GoofyRacer11

I was supposed to do 12 today but I think I am only going to do 6. I considering a rest day cause yesterday I went out and did a 5k with a 6:50 minute per mile pace with 5 hours of sleep.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I won't even post the pathetic number I did yesterday. It is so uncharacteristic of me.

A very disappointing 55.17 miles for last 6 days.

Try better this week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom