The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

So... I've been watching the dining closer this week because of spring break... just to see if "winging it" is still an option... the only thing available to dinner tomorrow night for a party of 2 is beaches and cream. I also tried for tonight... at first it said there was nothing available and then I tried again and a small list came up. Dunno if the system is glitching, or if it's really THAT busy! I guess it is a run weekend too... could be!

eta: seems it's gliching.. when I picked 6pm instead of "dinner" more options came open for tomorrow.
I've always had that issue with MDE. You have to toggle back and forth between specific times and whatever meal you want, because sometimes one works when the other doesn't. And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when each variation works and when it doesn't.

Also, have you tried Open Table? I've never used it myself, but I have read that other people have found openings through them, even when the MDE app comes up with nothing.

Songbird76

Maybe you should apply and you'd get a nice $$$ ;)
No, I meant the principal when I was in high school. He left the year after I graduated. He got some job offer in South Dakota and our district lied through their teeth in the reference letter to get him the heck and gone. He was tenured, so they couldn't fire him, so they could only get rid of him if he quit. Then as soon as he took the job they offered, and he signed the contract, the district rejoiced and then the school in South Dakota was like "Wait....is this the same guy?? He's not at ALL like you said" and then our district was like "We know! SUCKERS!"

Songbird76

I never imagined most dutch food was either fried stuff or pastry with stuff inside. (or this is just for theme park stuff?)
That sausage doesn't.. exactly look very.. appetizing for its looks..

In the other hand.. the kroketten, kipcorn and kaas soufle look good. XD
This is just your standard fast food type stuff. Not what people eat every day. For every day stuff, it's more Stampot (Which I also don't like), which is mashed potatoes with vegetables mixed in. Usually served with some sort of sausage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamppot

Songbird76

Dads just take longer with some things, especially with a child with special needs.

My dad was determined that we wouldn't use the GAC for my brother because he didn't want special treatment. It took until we were having a miserable DL trip that he caved. We couldn't get FPs for RSR and my brother was getting extremely anxious because he couldn't ride it (it was a two hour wait all day long). We finally got the GAC and had a much better trip.

My dad was never insistent on us riding everything together, though. My mom wasn't a fan of Alien Encounter. And then they brought me as a baby, and they wanted to ride Space Mountain, so...
Well, we didn't know he had Autism yet on our last Disney trip. I suspected it for years, but DH was still insisting there was nothing wrong, he was just a drama king. He didn't understand why I had asked for help from the school doctor to figure out what was going on. Because he was at work all day, I was the one dealing with all of the meltdowns so DH wasn't there to see the 15 meltdowns a day because he wanted a blue cup instead of a green one, or he wanted to walk through this aisle of the grocery store first, not that one. So he was oblivious that I was dealing with that...he thought I was exaggerating. When DS would have a meltdown on the weekend when DH was there to witness it, he would attribute it to him being tired and cranky. He wasn't seeing the extent of the issue because he wasn't there. Now he has had to admit that there IS an issue, and he's learned the skills to handle it....so now it goes a lot better. (You anecdote about your brother and the RSR line is SOOOOO familiar! Every time we checked the wait time for a ride that DS wanted to do and the line was long, he would start crying and say "I'm never going to get to ride it!!!")

I had to go back and edit the post you quoted because I realized I had used the Dutch spelling for Strategy.:rolleyes:😄 The Dutch use a lot of English words, but then they Dutchify the spelling. I'm so used to Dutch, I don't even realize I'm using the Dutch spelling until I go back and read it.

Songbird76

70K??? Good grief, my daughters went to college in the 1990's and the total 4 year degree program came to close to 100K each. I shudder to think what that would be now. Without the scholarships they earned I would have had two kids with no college education. Some areas, like Vermont, at the time, did very little in the form of supporting the colleges in the state. It was actually cheaper for our family to send the kids out of state where they could get financial support. Yes, cheaper then living at home. Transportation, Room and Board and all the extras involved with out of state education was cheaper then the University of Vermont.

My daughter, who has a son about a year away from college, tells me that NC State is about $8500. per year for in state students. NC state is huge and seems like a city in itself. I got a brief job with the Wolf Pack Campus busing system and that system was bigger, with more buses and routes, then the City of Burlington, Vt. transit system.
When the kids leave Vermont for education and find places that have scholarship offerings, more after graduation opportunities and fewer ski resorts, they don't come back. Just a thought to ponder!
It may be to late now for Vermont to do the smart thing. It will soon be nothing more then a huge ski resort with the only jobs being low paying service jobs, retired folk with no money to move from the state and pretty trees for about two weeks out of the year.
Well, it DOES depend on where you're going. I know when I was in college, the University of Wyoming was known for being cheap...we had a lot of out of staters because the out of state tuition was cheaper than most states' IN-state tuition. I was VERY fortunate that I had scholarships, and I worked throughout college, so I had only $16,000 in debt when I graduated after 5 years. That's another thing....most programs now, at least at the U of Wyo, are 5 year programs. I don't know about other schools, but what used to take 4 years, now takes 5 for some reason. Probably because you have to take so many subjects that don't really relate to your major? I know with music, it was really hard to fit in the non-music requirements. We had classes that had to be taken in succession...you couldn't take one without first taking the other, and they were courses you had to take each semester. So music theory 1 is freshman level, fall semester, Theory 2 is freshman spring semester....theory 1 isn't offered in Spring semester, and theory 2 isn't offered in the fall semester. So if you miss one, you have to wait a whole year to take it, and then you are behind. So trying to fit in a freshman level math course that's ONLY offered at the same time as a required Music major course....you might have to wait 2 years to take that freshman level math class. OR take it in the Summer session. BUT, there is also a cap on how many credits you can take each semester. So you have to fit in all those classes without going over the max on credit hours. You really can't do it in 4 years. I don't know if it's that way it works at other universities, but that's the way it was where I went. But, like I said, even with going 5 years instead of 4, it was still cheaper than almost any other University in the country.

Songbird76

Yah, I noticed that immediately, too, in the photos the donaldtoo shared. What a nice sentiment, and it made me pause to think why it's always been traditional, to have one side for the bride's guests and one for the groom's?! :in pain:
We didn't separate, but then we got married in the US right after Sept. 11th, and DH's parents made it on the first International flight the day they opened flights back up from the Netherlands. His dad took the place of his brother as Best Man, so he was standing next to DH. His side would have consisted of his mother, had we divided the guests into sides. But really, everyone loved my husband, so they were both sides anyway!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It’s pretty cool how so many well-known actors/actresses from back in the day were in so many of these original Twilight Zone episodes...
Season 5, episode 5 (S5, E5) “The Last Night of a Jockey” starring Mickey Rooney was on earlier. The last episode (S3, E33) “The Dummy” starred Cliff Robertson and Frank Sutton (best known as Sgt. Carter on the TV show “Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.”). And now, the very first episode (S1, E1) “Where Is Everybody” with Earl Holliman is on...!!! :)

Hubs was enjoying the Twilight Zone marathon, too. Truly, one of the most creative shows ever on TV, with such intelligent, thought-provoking scripts. (And let us not forget "The Invaders" classic episode with Agnes Moorehead--zero dialogue!! :jawdrop: )

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Just to add, McCormick has great baskets on their website. If you need to buy a bunch at once, it's a good deal. https://shop.mccormick.com/all-sets They also make good gifts. I've bought their stuff for two different people as housewarming gifts.

EDIT: Also, for McCormick spices, check your labels. If they say Baltimore, MD on them, they're 20+ years old and probably not as potent. They should say Hunt Valley, MD.

That's really good to know. McCormick has a lot of shelf space in the grocery stores up here, so I'll definitely remember that tip, next time I need one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom