The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

Oh boy....yes, my DH was one of those "It's a family vacation, we have to do everything together." people on our last Disney trip. I tried to get him to do RnR, SM, etc, but he didn't want to go without us. I think we've successfully cured him of that one. It's just not realistic...you won't get to do anything if you all have to agree on what you are going to ride, where to eat, etc. And I think he kind of humored me the last time with my research and list making. We got to the parks and he didn't want to stick to the plan...everyone was tired and cranky because DS was scared to do any of the rides and DH was determined that he was going to have to do them without complaining because he wanted to enjoy it. Once he let go and said...ok....you don't have to ride if you don't want to, and we'll take a nap every afternoon, it went so much smoother. I think this trip will be better because he has learned so much about how DS thinks and what he needs....his expectations are more realistic and he's more patient.
Our strategie for tomorrow is to rope drop the park and that DH will head straight for the big coasters before they get busy, while I will take the kids to Symbolica before the line gets long. Once we've done those things, we're a bit more flexible. But....progress already....DH agreed to splitting up.
Dads just take longer with some things, especially with a child with special needs.

My dad was determined that we wouldn't use the GAC for my brother because he didn't want special treatment. It took until we were having a miserable DL trip that he caved. We couldn't get FPs for RSR and my brother was getting extremely anxious because he couldn't ride it (it was a two hour wait all day long). We finally got the GAC and had a much better trip.

My dad was never insistent on us riding everything together, though. My mom wasn't a fan of Alien Encounter. And then they brought me as a baby, and they wanted to ride Space Mountain, so...

MySmallWorldof4

Regarding the whole college/no college discussion, I can only relate my own personal 40+ years ago experience forward vs. present times...

The HS I went to was the only HS in the district at the time and also had the only area vocational school...meaning other districts students were bussed (or drove) to our HS for vocational classes.
I’ve posted about much of this before, including my art teacher (“Mad Miller” ;)) losing it when I announced to her that I wouldn’t be taking art again my junior year, and would be enrolling in vocational drafting class instead, as I wanted to be an architect.
There were 2 3-hour classes each day, and I was in the morning class my junior and senior years.
It was set up to be a learning environment, but, also a kinda’ job environment...we were allowed to have soft drinks, coffee, music, and someone went to get Round Rock Donuts every morning...!!!!! :hungry::hilarious:;):)
Drafting and design was the only thing our teacher taught. He also did drafting and design on the side. So many schools back then had a drafting class, but, it was usually only an hour long, and taught by maybe an assistant football coach with limited knowledge, to fill out his teaching schedule.
As a result, we used to go to district, area, and state competitions and just clean house. Not bragging, just the way our system worked at the time, and an awesome teacher who was dedicated to his craft and us in every way.
From the middle of my junior year, many of our projects were actually drafting construction documents for a local builder to earn money to pay for those competition trips. And, we were payed fairly...no slave labor, plus we were getting serious real-world experience.
I liked to render my projects in ink instead of pencil, as most did. 3 months before I graduated from HS ( I was 17), my drafting teacher got a phone call from a local architect that wanted to know if he had a student he could recommend to ink brochures after school in the evenings. He recommended me, told me I had an interview if I wanted it, I interviewed the next evening, and was hired on the spot.
When summer rolled around and I graduated from HS, they offered me a full-time drafting position, and I jumped on it. Most of my friends were either off to college, or still working fast food, retail, etc. jobs.
I did interview at the UT school of architecture, and things looked promising, but, ultimately, I decided full-blown college wasn’t for me, and what my goals were. Even the partners at that first firm told me I had skills they were just learning in their 4th year of architecture school in college, and there would be no point in me bothering with it...and they payed me accordingly, in a good way.
I’ve gone through 2 layoffs and 5 firms over the last 39+ years, but, have been with my present firm for a combined 26+ years.
Bottom line is, as a result of the particular path I was able to take, I have continued to keep up with the times in my career, and am still very skilled in old school methods.
Whether a partner needs it designed, CAD’d up, 3-D modeled, old school rough sketched, old school presentation sketched, old school drafted, etc., they know I can do it. None of the younger folks, as awesome as they are (and I truly mean they are awesome and truly enjoy working with them, as we all learn from each other) have any of the old school skills. My multiple creative and technical skills are what make me valuable to them, and that is a result of me never, ever, refusing to learn new tech and skills.
26+ years of employment by the firm is testament to that.
Half of the employees in our firm are from our kiddos generation, and are extremely intelligent and very hard workers...the partners definitely wouldn’t keep them around if they weren’t, as they demand excellence. But, as y’all have also all seen before, the partners are still a great-fun group of guys to work for.

Finally...
It is, unfortunately, very rare that anyone can do it the way I started off 40+ years ago, these days.
Get the sheep skin.
Seeking a higher education is a noble thing, but (yes, a big but), some of it seems to have devolved into a business...milk as many people as you can, for as much money as you can, for as many years as you can.
And, too many times, people are in debt up to their necks, and never achieved anywhere near what they dreamed of.
Again, people are responsible for their own dreams and achievement of those dreams, but, others are led down the primrose promise path wearing rose-colored glasses.
People really just need to use their minds instead of emotions when making decisions and pursuing such important life decisions.
I agree with everything you said. I think we are on the same page. You were very lucky in your choices. You are right that most nowadays could not do what you did. It is sad that to get a college degree or higher you need to be in debt up to your eyeballs without a guarantee a job you will get will afford you the ability to pay it off. I saw a documentary years ago about how colleges were pretty much businesses and how the government was feeding them through the student loan industry. The premise was that the more money the government offered in loans, the higher college tuition became. The ones being hurt by this are those coming from less fortunate backgrounds trying to make a better future for themselves. For the kids who are lucky enough to come from families that can afford it, there of course is no issue. I just think the debt burden placed on young people nowadays just starting out their adult lives is shameful.

MySmallWorldof4

Dads just take longer with some things, especially with a child with special needs.

My dad was determined that we wouldn't use the GAC for my brother because he didn't want special treatment. It took until we were having a miserable DL trip that he caved. We couldn't get FPs for RSR and my brother was getting extremely anxious because he couldn't ride it (it was a two hour wait all day long). We finally got the GAC and had a much better trip.

My dad was never insistent on us riding everything together, though. My mom wasn't a fan of Alien Encounter. And then they brought me as a baby, and they wanted to ride Space Mountain, so...
Just thinking of Alien Encounter scares me. The first time dh and I went to MK we went on it. He was perfectly fine. Me, I lifted my feet onto the seat and closed my eyes the whole time. Hated it!!!!! I get scared easily. Cannot do horror movies either.

wdwfan4ver

It is, unfortunately, very rare that anyone can do it the way I started off 40+ years ago, these days.
I know what you mean. My dad graduated from high school back in the 70s. My dad did not go to college. My dad's high school was a technical school and he got hired at a utility company less than a month after he graduated. My dad got training at the company starting out and also was trained on the job. My dad started from the bottom, but he became a foreman in time.

The company he got his start at no longer trains as good and aren't looking people straight out of high school anymore.

Back in the 1990s, my dad told my younger brother and I up front that what he did in the 1970s can't land you the job what he got any more.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

I know what you mean. My dad graduated from high school back in the 70s. My dad did not go to college. My dad's high school was a technical school and he got hired less than a month after he graduated at utility company. My dad got training at the company starting out and also was trained on the job. My dad started from the bottom, but he became a foreman in time.

The company he got his start at no longer trains as good and aren't looking people straight out of high school anymore.

Back in the 1990s, my dad told my younger brother and I up front that what he did in the 1970s can't land you the job what he got any more.

I’m also reminded of recent news about how there are shortages in areas like plumbing, A/C repair and servicing, etc., because so many are inclined to a 4 year degree. Therefore, those folks are, in many cases, earning huge amounts of money, well beyond what many getting college degrees could command, because they can charge a premium for their services.
Simple supply and demand.

Rista1313

Regarding the whole college/no college discussion, I can only relate my own personal 40+ years ago experience forward vs. present times...

The HS I went to was the only HS in the district at the time and also had the only area vocational school...meaning other districts students were bussed (or drove) to our HS for vocational classes.
I’ve posted about much of this before, including my art teacher (“Mad Miller” ;)) losing it when I announced to her that I wouldn’t be taking art again my junior year, and would be enrolling in vocational drafting class instead, as I wanted to be an architect.
There were 2 3-hour classes each day, and I was in the morning class my junior and senior years.
It was set up to be a learning environment, but, also a kinda’ job environment...we were allowed to have soft drinks, coffee, music, and someone went to get Round Rock Donuts every morning...!!!!! :hungry::hilarious:;):)
Drafting and design was the only thing our teacher taught. He also did drafting and design on the side. So many schools back then had a drafting class, but, it was usually only an hour long, and taught by maybe an assistant football coach with limited knowledge, to fill out his teaching schedule.
As a result, we used to go to district, area, and state competitions and just clean house. Not bragging, just the way our system worked at the time, and an awesome teacher who was dedicated to his craft and us in every way.
From the middle of my junior year, many of our projects were actually drafting construction documents for a local builder to earn money to pay for those competition trips. And, we were payed fairly...no slave labor, plus we were getting serious real-world experience.
I liked to render my projects in ink instead of pencil, as most did. 3 months before I graduated from HS ( I was 17), my drafting teacher got a phone call from a local architect that wanted to know if he had a student he could recommend to ink brochures after school in the evenings. He recommended me, told me I had an interview if I wanted it, I interviewed the next evening, and was hired on the spot.
When summer rolled around and I graduated from HS, they offered me a full-time drafting position, and I jumped on it. Most of my friends were either off to college, or still working fast food, retail, etc. jobs.
I did interview at the UT school of architecture, and things looked promising, but, ultimately, I decided full-blown college wasn’t for me, and what my goals were. Even the partners at that first firm told me I had skills they were just learning in their 4th year of architecture school in college, and there would be no point in me bothering with it...and they payed me accordingly, in a good way.
I’ve gone through 2 layoffs and 5 firms over the last 39+ years, but, have been with my present firm for a combined 26+ years.
Bottom line is, as a result of the particular path I was able to take, I have continued to keep up with the times in my career, and am still very skilled in old school methods.
Whether a partner needs it designed, CAD’d up, 3-D modeled, old school rough sketched, old school presentation sketched, old school drafted, etc., they know I can do it. None of the younger folks, as awesome as they are (and I truly mean they are awesome and truly enjoy working with them, as we all learn from each other) have any of the old school skills. My multiple creative and technical skills are what make me valuable to them, and that is a result of me never, ever, refusing to learn new tech and skills.
26+ years of employment by the firm is testament to that.
Half of the employees in our firm are from our kiddos generation, and are extremely intelligent and very hard workers...the partners definitely wouldn’t keep them around if they weren’t, as they demand excellence. But, as y’all have also all seen before, the partners are still a great-fun group of guys to work for.

Finally...
Get the sheep skin.
Seeking a higher education is a noble thing, but (yes, a big but), some of it seems to have devolved into a business...milk as many people as you can, for as much money as you can, for as many years as you can.
And, too many times, people are in debt up to their necks, and never achieved anywhere near what they dreamed of.
Again, people are responsible for their own dreams and achievement of those dreams, but, others are led down the primrose promise path wearing rose-colored glasses.
People really just need to use their minds instead of emotions when making decisions and pursuing such important life decisions.

I've kept pretty quiet, but I disagree, so many people have a degree now that they might as well have a piece of toilet paper... it doesn't mean a darn thing... and it certainly is no replacement for common sense.

I knew at the age of 10 I wanted to work for the airlines. I went to travel school (no degree) and by the age of 18, guess who was working at the airlines? I was in the travel industry until 9/11. I got laid off and then came home, found a job at a insurance company, without a degree or an insurance license. The company invested in me, I got my insurance license, and I've been with the company 17 years.

We also are almost to crisis level on manual labor these days, old school skills like plumbers, electricians, and mechanics are retiring with no one to replace them. They don't need degrees for this... but they do have to go for some schooling and licensing.

Good hiring practices, company investment, and people with common sense are way more important imho than that silly piece of paper that someone paid 70G for.

donaldtoo

I've kept pretty quiet, but I disagree, so many people have a degree now that they might as well have a piece of toilet paper... it doesn't mean a darn thing... and it certainly is no replacement for common sense.

I knew at the age of 10 I wanted to work for the airlines. I went to travel school (no degree) and by the age of 18, guess who was working at the airlines? I was in the travel industry until 9/11. I got laid off and then came home, found a job at a insurance company, without a degree or an insurance license. The company invested in me, I got my insurance license, and I've been with the company 17 years.

We also are almost to crisis level on manual labor these days, old school skills like plumbers, electricians, and mechanics are retiring with no one to replace them. They don't need degrees for this... but they do have to go for some schooling and licensing.

Good hiring practices, company investment, and people with common sense are way more important imho than that silly piece of paper that someone paid 70G for.

Hmmm...
I’m assuming you read my entire post.
What, exactly, are we disagreeing about...?
What am I missing...?
Seems we’re pretty much on the same page.
Or, are we just saying, mostly, the same thing in a different way...?!

Rista1313

Hmmm...
I’m assuming you read my entire post.
What, exactly, are we disagreeing about...?
What am I missing...?
Seems we’re pretty much on the same page.
Or, are we just saying, mostly, the same thing in a different way...?!

The "get the sheepskin" part. =D

Really I was just replying to everyone in general on the subject and putting my point of view out there... not necessarily disagreeing with you personally.

donaldtoo

The "get the sheepskin" part. =D

Really I was just replying to everyone in general on the subject and putting my point of view out there... not necessarily disagreeing with you personally.

Ahhh...
Gotcha’...!!! :)
It, of course, depends on the company. Ours won’t even interview you without, at least, a 4-year degree.
Which then begs the question, how the heck is this HS degree only guy there...?!?!?! :cyclops:
I came with the company...!!!!! :hilarious:
I worked for the original partner, who I also went to HS with and was also in my drafting class, but, a year behind me. He was great at architecture, but, was terrible with the business aspect of it. The firm had a good rep, but, he needed business help, so he took on 2 of the current partners. By the time the original partner sold his interest to them and left the firm to become a developer, I had long since proved what an asset I was to the firm.
And the rest, as “they” say, is history...!!! :happy:;):)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom