The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

I've kept pretty quiet, but I disagree, so many people have a degree now that they might as well have a piece of toilet paper... it doesn't mean a darn thing... and it certainly is no replacement for common sense.

I knew at the age of 10 I wanted to work for the airlines. I went to travel school (no degree) and by the age of 18, guess who was working at the airlines? I was in the travel industry until 9/11. I got laid off and then came home, found a job at a insurance company, without a degree or an insurance license. The company invested in me, I got my insurance license, and I've been with the company 17 years.

We also are almost to crisis level on manual labor these days, old school skills like plumbers, electricians, and mechanics are retiring with no one to replace them. They don't need degrees for this... but they do have to go for some schooling and licensing.

Good hiring practices, company investment, and people with common sense are way more important imho than that silly piece of paper that someone paid 70G for.
Unfortunately, people now put a lot of attention into papers and certifications.

12in12

Theme park food. Pannekoeken = pancakes, but Dutch pancakes are a bit thinner than American ones...more like thick crepes. And unlike American pancake houses like Villiage Inn or Perkins, Dutch pancake restaurants only serve pancakes. And you get one pancake with your choice of topping or whatever. So you get one pancake with apples and raisins mixed in, or one pancake with a couple slices of bacon....and you pay around 10 bucks for said pancake.
Kroketten are a fried snack..in the US, you would have things like mozzarella sticks, onion rings, corn dogs....here, you have Frikandel, which is a long sausage thing
View attachment 361859

kaas soufle, which is a breaded cheese thing, but more melty
View attachment 361860

and kroketten, which are a breaded meat paste.

View attachment 361861

Kipcorn, which is like a long chicken nugget stick
View attachment 361862

And of course fries. I don't like kroket or frikandel, and neither does DD. DS likes frikandel, but not kaassouffle or kroket or kipcorn. DH will eat about anything.

But you can usually either order these things at a counter, like QS, or you get get it from a sort of vending machine wall.

View attachment 361863
It's breakfast time but these pictures made me hungry for kaassoufflé or maybe a kroket with mustard. :hungry:

MySmallWorldof4

I've kept pretty quiet, but I disagree, so many people have a degree now that they might as well have a piece of toilet paper... it doesn't mean a darn thing... and it certainly is no replacement for common sense.

I knew at the age of 10 I wanted to work for the airlines. I went to travel school (no degree) and by the age of 18, guess who was working at the airlines? I was in the travel industry until 9/11. I got laid off and then came home, found a job at a insurance company, without a degree or an insurance license. The company invested in me, I got my insurance license, and I've been with the company 17 years.

We also are almost to crisis level on manual labor these days, old school skills like plumbers, electricians, and mechanics are retiring with no one to replace them. They don't need degrees for this... but they do have to go for some schooling and licensing.

Good hiring practices, company investment, and people with common sense are way more important imho than that silly piece of paper that someone paid 70G for.
Dh and I have higher degrees and sure I no longer work, but I guarantee you that the plumber who lives in my development makes a heck of a lot more than dh does without taking on student loan debt. His dad owns one of the plumbing companies in town and they always have hiring signs outside their building. There also is no plumbers insurance so what they charge is what they get paid. No sales or discounts when a plumber comes over. Our water heater blew up 3 years ago. Within a few hours we had $3000 less in our bank account. I know someone with a 4 year degree who decided to become an electrician. He went back to school for that and is now better off than he was before.

Goofyernmost

70K??? Good grief, my daughters went to college in the 1990's and the total 4 year degree program came to close to 100K each. I shudder to think what that would be now. Without the scholarships they earned I would have had two kids with no college education. Some areas, like Vermont, at the time, did very little in the form of supporting the colleges in the state. It was actually cheaper for our family to send the kids out of state where they could get financial support. Yes, cheaper then living at home. Transportation, Room and Board and all the extras involved with out of state education was cheaper then the University of Vermont.

My daughter, who has a son about a year away from college, tells me that NC State is about $8500. per year for in state students. NC state is huge and seems like a city in itself. I got a brief job with the Wolf Pack Campus busing system and that system was bigger, with more buses and routes, then the City of Burlington, Vt. transit system.
When the kids leave Vermont for education and find places that have scholarship offerings, more after graduation opportunities and fewer ski resorts, they don't come back. Just a thought to ponder!
It may be to late now for Vermont to do the smart thing. It will soon be nothing more then a huge ski resort with the only jobs being low paying service jobs, retired folk with no money to move from the state and pretty trees for about two weeks out of the year.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Today is organize the chest freezer day so my little forest friends would get frozen paws if they helped, it's a job for a house elf. My paws are frozen already and I wore gloves:cold::cold::cold::cold:I got quite a bit done and may or may not finish it today. It's not the cute little one but one as large as most people's fridges:eek: Time for coffee and warming up:joyfull:

This is an example of your refrigerator and mine living on different planets. :p

Our freezer has 1 frozen dinner, 1 loaf of frozen bread, and a 1/2 container of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream.

I was actually proud of myself for having a loaf of bread handy, in case I ran out of bread at some point. Planning ahead and all -- very " Figgy" of me, I must say! :joyfull:

Goofyernmost

Yah, I noticed that immediately, too, in the photos the donaldtoo shared. What a nice sentiment, and it made me pause to think why it's always been traditional, to have one side for the bride's guests and one for the groom's?! :in pain:
Very nice way of doing things as well. How many weddings have happened where one side had 100 guests and the other side had a, socially embarrassing, dozen or so. Great idea!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I’m also reminded of recent news about how there are shortages in areas like plumbing, A/C repair and servicing, etc., because so many are inclined to a 4 year degree. Therefore, those folks are, in many cases, earning huge amounts of money, well beyond what many getting college degrees could command, because they can charge a premium for their services.
Simple supply and demand.

AMEN.

It takes a village, people ....

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Very nice way of doing things as well. How many weddings have happened where one side had 100 guests and the other side had a, socially embarrassing, dozen or so. Great idea!

Yes! I've seen that before as well. Actually, I knew a woman whose mother was paying for the entire wedding. The mother insisted on mostly her own guests (because she was footing the bill). :rolleyes: Meanwhile, the poor groom's side, was like a desert of tumbleweeds in the wind?! :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom