Space Mountain refurbishment begins April 19 2009

HMF

The pure smoothness of DL's space mountain is truly somthing to behold. In fact, its so smooth that the ride feels incredibly fast, so fast that you litterally get tears in your eyes from the wind.
I was sorta tearing and zoning out and thinking WDW needs this!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wonder if they refurbed their trains when they painted them during the switch to Mission 2...
I believe the wheels were swapped for a different plastic.

DLPs SM is very rough - depending on your height. Michelle needs to sit on a booster or she comes out with a pounding head. Me - I`m 5`10 and feel like I`ve been on worse. Either way it`s the best themed coaster I`ve ridden. A true dark ultra-thrill ride.

Pongo

Please, stop backtracking ... you already showed your hand.

I have never in my life referred to George K as 'Kal' and I have never heard him called that by anyone in or outside Disney. And it's curious that you selected George when he is simply an underling to Philippe Gas at Euro Disney SCA.

Yet you went right to Bob Iger with (below) with your resume suggestion.

Do you have a connection with 'Kal'? Or 'JT' are you just talking and trying to see what info I might let slip because I only place info out there that I want to be read. That should be obvious to anyone.

If Bob wants to hire me, rest assured he knows exactly who I am, where I live and how to reach me. He doesn't need a resume.

But why are you suggesting YOU know who I am in the real world?

Okay guys, "Mine's bigger than yours." We get it.

I guess I'm in the minority with the banked turns, too. Though not the most comfortable thing about Space Mountain, I do enjoy the spastic nature of the ride itself -- between the sharp turns, rickety framework, and clackety ascent. It's kind of the charm that I love about our Space Mountain.

I mean, I'm not against adding in banked turns, a silent chain lift, and a stronger structure. I'm just sayin'. I'm not against them keeping some of the janky elements either :lookaroun

hpyhnt 1000

I don't get it? Why can't we have a Space Mountain thats all shining and new like at Disneyland? :veryconfu Our dust covered SM is embarassing compared to the gleaming structure and ride vehicles at DL. :(

HMF

I don't get it? Why can't we have a Space Mountain thats all shining and new like at Disneyland? :veryconfu Our dust covered SM is embarassing compared to the gleaming structure and ride vehicles at DL. :(
As I said earlier' GET RID OF PHIL HOLMES!:fork:

Figment571

yeah ...but it's still taking the cheap route and considering how cheap a redo this really is to begin with ... well, it's just very disappointing.

SM should have closed in 1998 and 'relaunched' for Y2K with one of WDI's more ... uhm ... extensive concepts.

This sounds to me like it will be slightly better than the lousy PoC redo.

In other words, too little, a decade too late.

Not smart at all.

What other concepts?

Esplain yourself man!..... Please.....:lookaroun if you don't mind...

Uncle Lupe

:lookaroun
3142569090_24092d6ba1_b.jpg

Compare that to the new Disneyland version:

This coaster is best left in the dark in this shape!!

Is that a shirt on the upper crossbeam? :lookaroun

hoke2007

I really hope that Disney gives SM a good rehab. A complete track replacement would be best, but even a partial track replacement would be nice. As long as they add in some new effects, redo the queue/load/unload areas, and replace some/all of the track, I'd be really happy. :)

tirian

Compare that to the new Disneyland version:
2646732961_6c8a785f0f_b.jpg

While we're at it...check how much better, stronger and more stable the support structure looks at Disneyland:
2554860465_a7d1ac5f7a_b.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the layout of Disneyland's Space Mountain:

Left turn, left turn, right turn, right turn, right turn..."

Or something like that. :lol:

I'm glad you posted these pics. They *should* make people who insist WDW's Space Mt. was in fine shape realize that it really wasn't. :lookaroun

teebin

So, if we are talking about replacement of track, are we also talking about replacement of support structure as well?

That photo of MK's SM gives me the creeps. No wonder I have only ridden it once as I was terrified sensing there were crossbeams and tension cables all around me just waiting to chop off a body part. (and I will ride mummy, ee, DD, hulk over and over again without such terror)

Disney could have saved some money by just leaving it as is, painting the exterior black and renaming it "Mount Doom".

appleset

I've been on both American SM's in the past year and although I definitely prefer California's, there is one small detail that Florida offers.

The bigwigs can feel free to tear out the old tracks, the old rockets, those dusty upside-down astronauts, and heck, even those completely irrelevant video screens that you can see yourself on as you head back out towards Tomorrowland.

But please, please, PLEASE leave the queue tunnels alone. The music in there is probably my favorite audio experience in all of WDW and even though it doesn't exactly make me feel like I'm out in outer space, there's something amazing about the quirky, somewhat creepy music they play in those dark tunnels. California's version just doesn't offer that aspect of the experience and I, for one, want it to stay!!

imagineer boy

I've been on both American SM's in the past year and although I definitely prefer California's, there is one small detail that Florida offers.

The bigwigs can feel free to tear out the old tracks, the old rockets, those dusty upside-down astronauts, and heck, even those completely irrelevant video screens that you can see yourself on as you head back out towards Tomorrowland.

But please, please, PLEASE leave the queue tunnels alone. The music in there is probably my favorite audio experience in all of WDW and even though it doesn't exactly make me feel like I'm out in outer space, there's something amazing about the quirky, somewhat creepy music they play in those dark tunnels. California's version just doesn't offer that aspect of the experience and I, for one, want it to stay!!

Agreed, I will honestly be crushed if they got rid of the star tunnel music. And I agree, if there's one thing WDW's SM is better at, its the queue music. I prefer it a heck of alot more to the missile command sound effects like at DL.

surfsupdon

I'd also be crused if the pre show queue music was changed. That star field music is both creepy and fun. And the dizzying scenes you look at as you walk towards the load station are pure Disney magic. I love them.

Enigma

Account Suspended
What other concepts?

Esplain yourself man!..... Please.....:lookaroun if you don't mind...

I remember there was somebody on Micechat who said the original plan was for Space Mountain to get a completly new track with a new layout (1 bigger longer ride instead of 2 small tracks) that would travel all over the building, audio in the cars, new special effects during the ride, brand new post show, new queue (enclosed from ride), light leaks fixed, etc.

I think the 1 big track concept is what is upsetting alot of the people that have known about these plans for sometime because it would have been something incredible.

epcotWSC

I don't mind having one track dedicated to fast pass and one to standby. Although as it stands now the fast pass version of the ride (the right side) is actually more exciting (IMO anyway).

It would be pretty cool to have one long track though. Double the time. Plus you could still have the same volume moving anyway.

WDW1974

I remember there was somebody on Micechat who said the original plan was for Space Mountain to get a completly new track with a new layout (1 bigger longer ride instead of 2 small tracks) that would travel all over the building, audio in the cars, new special effects during the ride, brand new post show, new queue (enclosed from ride), light leaks fixed, etc.

I think the 1 big track concept is what is upsetting alot of the people that have known about these plans for sometime because it would have been something incredible.

There were many concepts and that was one I was very fond of ... it would have had a totally new track layout and made the ride over 2 1/2 times longer. The one I was told of (and this goes back at least 5-6 years now) included at least two inversions and sound and would have used up more ... well, space in the dome.

There also was a proposal to do two totally new tracks in the mountain, one a version very much like one of the current tracks and a second version that would have been much more intense (and this one would have had inversions), something akin to what wound up happening with Mission Space. Both would have had different/unique soundtracks.

Those are the two that really stand out, but many concepts were pitched.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom