Space Mountain refurbishment begins April 19 2009

bgraham34

If you ignore the actual rides, I'd agree: Paris' version is awesome. But, once the train actually starts moving, Paris is a distant third behind the two stateside versions.

Ouch.

I did not like the Paris one. I was jolted back and forth in my seat. Maybe because I was not expecting it.

Buried20KLeague

hey all this is my first post here. ive been coming to this site for a while...just never registered. finally decided to :).

my wife and i went to disney for our honeymoon in june of 2007 for 12 days. we loved it. went back this past december for 10 days. we are now hooked on disney at christmas time. we are going back this coming december for a week (5th-13th). im really hoping space mountain opens back up before then or while we're there.

Just wanted to say "welcome". :wave:

For What It's Worth...

From today's Screamscape:

Late 2009 - Space Mountain: Mission 2 - Rumor - (1/9/09) While Disney still isn’t saying much, a Screamscape source tells us that Space Mountain will very likely get entirely all new track after all. I know in the past I had heard that they were getting price quotes for both whole and partial replacement and at one point they were leaning towards going the cheap route and just replacing some of the track. According to our source, the new track is necessary due to the new heavier rockets that will feature on-board audio. They also tell us that the queue may end up looking much more like the California version, it should have a new Re-Entry tunnel effect at the end and that we can expect to see station-gates added to the loading areas. Apparently there is also talk about putting in the cool “revolving tunnel” effect on the lift hill, though that aspect has not be finalized since the current version has it’s own uniquely themed lift-hill and there is an effort to preserve some classic elements from the current ride since it is the original.

Buried20KLeague

Boy, I don't know. Applying common sense to the Screamscape blurb:

I still think going by timeframe alone, there's no way they could replace the whole track. I just don't think there's time. It would stretch the refurb to way over a year. Plus, we haven't seen any track anywhere, and I would think it would be arriving by now... Or some site prep for it or SOMETHING. The cat's out of the bag... They wouldn't have to hide track anymore.

I would think the re-entry tunnel is a given, personally... Considering it's on DL and Tokyo and HKDL. (haven't been on Paris', although I'm guessing it is similar)

Can't see them adding launch tunnels to WDW's verson. Wouldn't make as much sense, considering it would enclose the tracks separately... It would make all that lift scene space useless... Plus it would play pretty badly with the TTA coming through there. That idea just feels like a square peg in a round hole.

I don't have any inside sources or anything obviously... Just putting a little common sense to what screamscape has to say. :shrug:

Lee

Adventurer
Last info I got was indicating a "partial" track replacement.
This could mean anything from just replacing the major load-bearing areas, to replacing everything except the station areas, to replacing the track itself but leaving much of the support structure.

Or...could be they are doing the whole thing.

I eagerly await more info from inside....

djkidkaz

Why is there all this talk of stuff not being "finalized"? LOL

Like Imagineering is going to get in there and be like "So what do you guys wanna do? Lets flip a coin and see if we should change the track or add a re-entry tunnel."

Disney is a very details oriented company and they aren't looking to lose money on any project. At this point, I would say everything is finalized and ordered. Saying stuff isn't "finalized" basically is the website or insider saying "I have no clue."

Edit: This is in regards to the Screamscape blurb

jt04

Last info I got was indicating a "partial" track replacement.
This could mean anything from just replacing the major load-bearing areas, to replacing everything except the station areas, to replacing the track itself but leaving much of the support structure.

Or...could be they are doing the whole thing.

I eagerly await more info from inside....

So Lee, I know everyone wants to know your personal opinion on the scope of the project. Is it somewhat to your expectations so far or do we have to wait to get your opinion?

Lee

Adventurer
So Lee, I know everyone wants to know your personal opinion on the scope of the project. Is it somewhat to your expectations so far or do we have to wait to get your opinion?
Kinda like I said earlier...right now I haven't been able to really nail down what is exactly happening. Until I do, I don't want to fully endorse or criticize what they are doing.

I will say, each little tidbit I pick up is making it sound better than I expected. Certainly better than what I was bracing myself for based on info from a few months ago.

Why is there all this talk of stuff not being "finalized"? LOL
Oh no, everything is pretty finalized at this point. Problem for me, and others, is that I don't know exactly what was decided on. Seriously, this project has had more ups and downs than the actual ride over the past 3-4 years. Round and round it went, where it stopped....I don't yet know. Someone really needs to crack the lid on this a bit....

RSoxNo1

Any word on post show changes? This will sound petty, but my autistic brother absolutely loves the post show video cameras where he can see himself on TV. I know this isn't exactly complex or unique technology, but I would love to see this part stick around (ideally with better TV's and cameras).

I'm not sure I'm understanding those people that are saying that the DLP version is better until the car moves? That doesn't make sense at all.

What I'd like to see:

Enclosed Queue: ideally with a tinted glass ceiling or something like that, so you could see the ride from the queue, but you couldn't see the queue from the ride.

Track Replacement: For smoothing and banked turns.

On Board Audio: With an original score

Only minor changes to the lift area: Replace the "... Seconds to Blast Off" signs look more futuristic. Perhaps increased sound effects.

Improved Re-entry tunnel - this could look a lot more like fire.

EpcotServo

I hope they keep the re-entry red tube, then add Disneyland's awesome fiber-optic effect at the first uncomfortable "slowdown" part of the Track.
:D

Pete C

I have heard some people mention banked turns. Space Mountain already has banked turns...in fact I can't think of a single turn in SM that is not banked. It is not flat like a wild mouse. Do you just want more banking?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have heard some people mention banked turns. Space Mountain already has banked turns...in fact I can't think of a single turn in SM that is not banked. It is not flat like a wild mouse. Do you just want more banking?
I am pretty sure the majority of the turns are flat like a mouse coaster. If they are banked it is only a couple of degrees.

mk_space_mountain_1.jpg

Pete C

I am pretty sure the majority of the turns are flat like a mouse coaster. If they are banked it is only a couple of degrees.

You can't tell much from that picture which shows the supports and flat ground below the track. Watch a POV with the lights on...none of the turns are flat, but they are not like 45 degrees or anything. To me the ride does not feel like a wild mouse, which gives the sensation of falling out of the car.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You can't tell much from that picture which shows the supports and flat ground below the track. Watch a POV with the lights on...none of the turns are flat, but they are not like 45 degrees or anything. To me the ride does not feel like a wild mouse, which gives the sensation of falling out of the car.
Lee or martin will know for sure......I will defer to their superior knowledge.

Ausdaddy

It is banked, but it's very slight. In fact, it's more like an ATM, than a bank.

jt04

It is banked, but it's very slight. In fact, it's more like an ATM, than a bank.

Cool analogy.

I think most people desire more banking so it's easier to experience the "floating in space" storyline. The constant mouse-like turns in the current SM may be banked but it feels like they are not. Personally I would like the smoothness of an EE ride for example.

Brian Noble

I'm not sure I'm understanding those people that are saying that the DLP version is better until the car moves? That doesn't make sense at all.
DLP has a fantastic building. A wondeful queue. Tremendous integration with the Jules Verne vibe of Discoveryland at DLP. Unlikely many things WDI does, you actually know the story by the time you board the train.

Then, the train moves. From that point on, you are strapped into some medievel tourture device intent on separating your skull from your spine or, at the very least, pureeing your brain. The pretty building, the wonderful story, the fantastic setting---all forgotten in that few minutes of blinding pain.

I'm exaggerating a little, but you get the point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom