Space Mountain refurbishment begins April 19 2009

Disneyson 1

^^ LOVE your sig, epcotWCS!!! I'm Philharmagic: You`re not a ride at all, but you`re magical, and 4-D, and when I`m on drugs, you`re the coolest thing I`ve ever seen. You`re Philharmagic!!!

Figment571

There were many concepts and that was one I was very fond of ... it would have had a totally new track layout and made the ride over 2 1/2 times longer. The one I was told of (and this goes back at least 5-6 years now) included at least two inversions and sound and would have used up more ... well, space in the dome.

There also was a proposal to do two totally new tracks in the mountain, one a version very much like one of the current tracks and a second version that would have been much more intense (and this one would have had inversions), something akin to what wound up happening with Mission Space. Both would have had different/unique soundtracks.

Those are the two that really stand out, but many concepts were pitched.

And of course we get the "uh, well we tried update... whatever..." update.
Well at least from what has been said, I could, and hope to wrong however... I hope.

WDITrent

I don't mind having one track dedicated to fast pass and one to standby. Although as it stands now the fast pass version of the ride (the right side) is actually more exciting (IMO anyway).

It would be pretty cool to have one long track though. Double the time. Plus you could still have the same volume moving anyway.

Actually, sometimes you can choose either side. I've done it before. (or does that mean I was breaking a Disney law? :eek:)

HMF

The bigwigs can feel free to tear out the old tracks, the old rockets, those dusty upside-down astronauts, and heck, even those completely irrelevant video screens that you can see yourself on as you head back out towards Tomorrowland.
Are those the astrounauts from the original Spaceship Earth?

Rob562

Actually, sometimes you can choose either side. I've done it before. (or does that mean I was breaking a Disney law? :eek:)

There's nothing barring you from choosing either side, people just "presume" that because you were kept separate in the tunnel, you need to remain separate at the Alpha/Omega split.

Though I have heard of a few instances where they were being very strict about keeping the two sides separate. (This would normally happen on very crowded days where they needed to use more of the Alpha side's back-and-forth queue to get more people into the building because Standby was stretching too far out into Tomorrowland)

The FP merge point is at the end of the tunnel by the warning video. So except on those extreme busy days, after they take your ticket or let you in from Standby, you are free to choose either side. Every rider is equal, just like people on the other attractions are after the FP merge point. If they're not using that extra interior queue, the wait time is exactly the same for both sides, so it's really pointless to keep them separate.

-Rob

Enigma

Account Suspended
Agreed, I will honestly be crushed if they got rid of the star tunnel music. And I agree, if there's one thing WDW's SM is better at, its the queue music. I prefer it a heck of alot more to the missile command sound effects like at DL.

I agree the star tunnel music should remain but they should update that tunnel with more 21st century special effects.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are those the astrounauts from the original Spaceship Earth?
Close, or wires crossed.... the lift hill scene dummies are vintage 1975, the figures in the post show are the 2 astronauts from SSEs 180top 1982-1994. And of course the AA robot dog and final AA robot are SM 1975 from the RCA Home of Future Living.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
About the track replacement, makes me wonder if they decided they needed to now, or shut the ride down again a few years from now to do it...and decided they might as well do it now.

Seeing those pictures and knowing the difference in the experiences, I'm hoping we get something at least on par quality wise with DL's version (Smoothness, lighting), even if the layout doesn't change much from current.

mpaul32001

I'm trying to document the entire queue and ride before it goes down in High Definition. The queue is easy, but my HD camera doesn't have nightvision. Doing the ride is going to be harder then i though. I'll have to mess with my settings.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
About the track replacement, makes me wonder if they decided they needed to now, or shut the ride down again a few years from now to do it...and decided they might as well do it now.
There`s a world of difference though from track replacement and full track and superstructure replacement.
I'm trying to document the entire queue and ride before it goes down in High Definition.
Got it all in 3 chip SD last July - that and more. Incase you miss anything :D

mpaul32001

There`s a world of difference though from track replacement and full track and superstructure replacement.
Got it all in 3 chip SD last July - that and more. Incase you miss anything :D

Thanks for the heads up! I'll still be covering it in High def. Haha. I'll definitely keep a lookout for your tribute.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom