Space Mountain refurbishment begins April 19 2009

Lee

Adventurer
I would but I expect a stedicam mounted IMAX rig would get stuck in the turnstyles...

True, I guess.
They probably wouldn't let you take it on the rides anyhow...:D
jb_imax1.jpg

Enigma

Account Suspended
Close, or wires crossed.... the lift hill scene dummies are vintage 1975, the figures in the post show are the 2 astronauts from SSEs 180top 1982-1994. And of course the AA robot dog and final AA robot are SM 1975 from the RCA Home of Future Living.

Where was the RCA Home of Future Living located? Was it in the exact same place that current post show is except that the scenes were different or was it housed where the current "Arcade"/disney junk store is after the ride?

Lee

Adventurer
Where was the RCA Home of Future Living located? Was it in the exact same place that current post show is except that the scenes were different or was it housed where the current "Arcade"/disney junk store is after the ride?
Pretty much where the current post show is, I believe. RCYA1 and whatnot.
The arcade building is not original.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - it was where RYCA-1 was installed in 1985. HOFL was 7 hexagonal connected pods, each showing a different area of the future home. Interestingly, the Boys room and the babies room was only fully visible from the WEDway since they were on upper floors. The house fitted into the space seen today from the start of the speedramp until the ramp dips downwards. Todays postshow is virtually the same as 1985 without some effects; FX-1, the FedEx postshow just added and removed some items in 1994. Infact, the thing that changed the most is the postshow audio, from Here`s to the Future to the vocal We've Come So Far to the 1994 area loop to todays Anahiem and Hong Kong score variation.

As Lee said, the arcade was open space until 1994. Hard to believe SM had no gift shop until then! Add an arcade to make more money and you have an excuse for the Light and Power Company. Shame it`s hard to actually find SM merch.

PolyneisanAlex

The turns on SM are indeed banked....but not much.
The issue is more with the transitions into the curves. They were designed without the benefit of modern coaster technolgy, so you are just kinda thrown into the turns. That's where you get the lateral Gs that makes the turns feel less banked than they really are. This was much improved at Disneyland.
Here's a photo of one of the turns. This is about as banked as they get.
3142569090_24092d6ba1_b.jpg

:

Reminds Me Of Final Destination 3, kid drops a shirt lands on trck the rocket flys of track =:zipit:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hard?
Last time I stuck my head in....there was NOTHING. Nothing at all.
I kinda suspect that will change upon it's reopening....
Tell me about it. Managed to grab a garish T Shirt in 2001 - shame I passed on the orange and grey jacket. Contrast to DLP; lovely SM:M2 fleece coat, passed on the big raincoat (got a DLP one instead) and T Shirts galore. Knowing WDWs merch dept. I think it`s a done deal for everything from fridge magnets to pens after the rehab.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Yep - it was where RYCA-1 was installed in 1985. HOFL was 7 hexagonal connected pods, each showing a different area of the future home. Interestingly, the Boys room and the babies room was only fully visible from the WEDway since they were on upper floors. The house fitted into the space seen today from the start of the speedramp until the ramp dips downwards. Todays postshow is virtually the same as 1985 without some effects; FX-1, the FedEx postshow just added and removed some items in 1994.

What is RYCA-1?

Perhaps a Space Mountain postshow tribute video is in order :lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What is RYCA-1?

Perhaps a Space Mountain postshow tribute video is in order :lookaroun
:lol: I covered it (from the WEDway) in my 3 part Tland history tribute. RYCA-1 was RCAs second postshow, introduced in 1985. RYCA-1 Dream of a New World was several dioramas depicting living and working on other planets - the remains of which still survive today.

Lee

Adventurer
Nice photo, Martin.
Ride still looks like hell, though....:hurl:

The ceiling is also looking kinda bad. I'll look for a photo of that.

EpcotServo

Nice photo, Martin.
Ride still looks like hell, though....:hurl:

The ceiling is also looking kinda bad. I'll look for a photo of that.

Yeah, I don't know what kind of Mold/Spore/Fungus grows on the inside of the walls of our Space Mountain, but you can even see it when the lights are off.

:lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Slightly off topic, but here's what you can get and what you used to. C'mon, Steve - the M2 logo is pretty nice!

Attachments

• 11012009256 copy.jpg
    11012009256 copy.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 11012009263.jpg
    11012009263.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 11012009260.jpg
    11012009260.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 11012009261.jpg
    11012009261.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 51

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom