Space Mountain refurbishment begins April 19 2009

rudyjr13

My question is, in this economy, why isn't Disney blowing the lid off this refurb themselves? Why not blow it up in the press and on their website showing concept art for what the ride will look like after the refurb no matter how small or large to get people excited? It doesn't make sense unless they really are getting in there and deciding what to do from there.

That or they are going to close it for much longer then they are saying now (Nov 09) and don't want to discourage anymore people from NOT booking trips this year.

Either way I think it's great to refurb the ride. It needs it. The queue line is a joke even though it takes me back to being a kid. I've never been to the new DL version but it sounds great.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Lee or martin will know for sure......I will defer to their superior knowledge.
My guess is that some of the curves get up to about 20-25 degrees. Enough to make then not flat, but not enough to save your neck and back. This is just from memory and from too many pictures that i have seen.... yes, lets get confirmation on the subject

mcjaco

Then, the train moves. From that point on, you are strapped into some medievel tourture device intent on separating your skull from your spine or, at the very least, pureeing your brain. The pretty building, the wonderful story, the fantastic setting---all forgotten in that few minutes of blinding pain.

I'm exaggerating a little, but you get the point.

Not really. You described a Vekoma looping coaster to a T. :lol:

WDW1974

DLP has a fantastic building. A wondeful queue. Tremendous integration with the Jules Verne vibe of Discoveryland at DLP. Unlikely many things WDI does, you actually know the story by the time you board the train.

Then, the train moves. From that point on, you are strapped into some medievel tourture device intent on separating your skull from your spine or, at the very least, pureeing your brain. The pretty building, the wonderful story, the fantastic setting---all forgotten in that few minutes of blinding pain.

I'm exaggerating a little, but you get the point.

Not by that much, sadly.

And that's why I rate HKDL's version MUCH higher.

Although I have to admit I've only ridden MK's version once in the past four years (10/07) because of how rough it has become. Not bad on brains, but awful on backs. And that doesn't count the horror stories I've heard from CMs about the state of the ride. And, to anyone who says it's always been that rough, I'd politely tell them simply 'YOU ARE WRONG!'

But I want to print your post out, blow it up and send it over to Mr. Gas and Mr. Kalogridis at DLP because that ride really needs a total shutdown and likely new track or new cars or both because it's a shame that such an incredible ride is actually painful to ride.

jt04

Not by that much, sadly.

And that's why I rate HKDL's version MUCH higher.

Although I have to admit I've only ridden MK's version once in the past four years (10/07) because of how rough it has become. Not bad on brains, but awful on backs. And that doesn't count the horror stories I've heard from CMs about the state of the ride. And, to anyone who says it's always been that rough, I'd politely tell them simply 'YOU ARE WRONG!'

But I want to print your post out, blow it up and send it over to Mr. Gas and Mr. Kalogridis at DLP because that ride really needs a total shutdown and likely new track or new cars or both because it's a shame that such an incredible ride is actually painful to ride.

Yes and I am sure they will get right to it as we know you have all the park managers on a short leash. Especially "Kal" :ROFLOL:

Brian Noble

It could be worse. It could be Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril : à l'envers. I've only had the "privilege" of riding it backwards. All the pain, none of the benefits. Hopefully it's not as bad now that they've turned the cars back around. Who thought copying a Pinfari was a good idea?

ToTBellHop

It could be worse. It could be Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril : à l'envers. I've only had the "privilege" of riding it backwards. All the pain, none of the benefits. Hopefully it's not as bad now that they've turned the cars back around. Who thought copying a Pinfari was a good idea?
in DLP's defense, have you seen how beat up Indy gets in the movies? It wouldn't be realistic if you came off an Indy ride without at least a few open wounds, a sore back, and slight amnesia due to brain trauma. Kudos to Disney for being realistic. Even Tokyo had to jump on the brain damage band wagon.

mcjaco

...that ride really needs a total shutdown and likely new track or new cars or both because it's a shame that such an incredible ride is actually painful to ride.

And that's the joy of Vekomas. A well maintained one, like RnRC, holds up well. Not great, but well, as the quality of their ride is always suspect. One that isn't, is just brutal.

WDW1974

Yes and I am sure they will get right to it as we know you have all the park managers on a short leash. Especially "Kal" :ROFLOL:

I've never known anyone refer to GK as 'Kal' but anyway ... I am shocked that guy holds on to a job with Disney ... he got two huge demotions yet still winds up in a position to ruin DLP ... amazing considering what he's likely cost TWDC.

I know he's largely credited with pintrading, and all the money that has poured into Disney in the past decade due to it, but I seriously wonder if he has pics of someone or something along those lines.

I've also never seen someone at the P&R level so adept at taking advantage of circumstances that make the numbers jump to pass the results off as due to his own smarts.

Yet another very ordinary exec that passes for talent at TWDC.

Although I have the feeling Bob Iger isn't all that happy with him of late:wave:

imagineer boy

The pure smoothness of DL's space mountain is truly somthing to behold. In fact, its so smooth that the ride feels incredibly fast, so fast that you litterally get tears in your eyes from the wind.

jt04

I've never known anyone refer to GK as 'Kal' but anyway ... I am shocked that guy holds on to a job with Disney ... he got two huge demotions yet still winds up in a position to ruin DLP ... amazing considering what he's likely cost TWDC.

I know he's largely credited with pintrading, and all the money that has poured into Disney in the past decade due to it, but I seriously wonder if he has pics of someone or something along those lines.

I've also never seen someone at the P&R level so adept at taking advantage of circumstances that make the numbers jump to pass the results off as due to his own smarts.

Yet another very ordinary exec that passes for talent at TWDC.

Although I have the feeling Bob Iger isn't all that happy with him of late:wave:

I just assumed that is what you called him since you seem so "familiar" with all the higher ups.

I'm still not sure why you don't send in your resume since you have all the answers. I'm sure Iger would be thrilled to put you to work.

WDW1974

I just assumed that is what you called him since you seem so "familiar" with all the higher ups.

Please, stop backtracking ... you already showed your hand.

I have never in my life referred to George K as 'Kal' and I have never heard him called that by anyone in or outside Disney. And it's curious that you selected George when he is simply an underling to Philippe Gas at Euro Disney SCA.

Yet you went right to Bob Iger with (below) with your resume suggestion.

Do you have a connection with 'Kal'? Or 'JT' are you just talking and trying to see what info I might let slip because I only place info out there that I want to be read. That should be obvious to anyone.

I'm still not sure why you don't send in your resume since you have all the answers. I'm sure Iger would be thrilled to put you to work.

If Bob wants to hire me, rest assured he knows exactly who I am, where I live and how to reach me. He doesn't need a resume.

But why are you suggesting YOU know who I am in the real world?

WDW1974

Wow. I think we went a full week with out macho male chest bumping.

:lookaroun

No chest bumping here. I just get weirded out when another poster (one who seems to respond to everything I write and calls me out on other threads I am not a part of) suddenly claims to 'know me' on a thread.

I'm sure you can understand how that might concern someone.

jt04

Please, stop backtracking ... you already showed your hand.

I have never in my life referred to George K as 'Kal' and I have never heard him called that by anyone in or outside Disney. And it's curious that you selected George when he is simply an underling to Philippe Gas at Euro Disney SCA.

Yet you went right to Bob Iger with (below) with your resume suggestion.

Do you have a connection with 'Kal'? Or 'JT' are you just talking and trying to see what info I might let slip because I only place info out there that I want to be read. That should be obvious to anyone.

If Bob wants to hire me, rest assured he knows exactly who I am, where I live and how to reach me. He doesn't need a resume.

But why are you suggesting YOU know who I am in the real world?

I've always assumed you were Mr Magoo :dazzle:

Lee

Adventurer
Lee or martin will know for sure......I will defer to their superior knowledge.
The turns on SM are indeed banked....but not much.
The issue is more with the transitions into the curves. They were designed without the benefit of modern coaster technolgy, so you are just kinda thrown into the turns. That's where you get the lateral Gs that makes the turns feel less banked than they really are. This was much improved at Disneyland.
Here's a photo of one of the turns. This is about as banked as they get.
3142569090_24092d6ba1_b.jpg

Compare that to the new Disneyland version:
2646732961_6c8a785f0f_b.jpg

While we're at it...check how much better, stronger and more stable the support structure looks at Disneyland:
2554860465_a7d1ac5f7a_b.jpg

Lee

Adventurer
that ride really needs a total shutdown and likely new track or new cars or both because it's a shame that such an incredible ride is actually painful to ride.
I would think it has more to do with the trains/wheel sets.
The track is not too much older than RnRC, and I am unaware of any extra measures that are being taken to keep that one smooth.
I wonder if they refurbed their trains when they painted them during the switch to Mission 2...

ttalovebug

The turns on SM are indeed banked....but not much.
The issue is more with the transitions into the curves. They were designed without the benefit of modern coaster technolgy, so you are just kinda thrown into the turns. That's where you get the lateral Gs that makes the turns feel less banked than they really are. This was much improved at Disneyland.
Here's a photo of one of the turns. This is about as banked as they get.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18796270@N07/3142569090/sizes/l/

Compare that to the new Disneyland version:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18796270@N07/3142569090/sizes/l/

While we're at it...check how much better, stronger and more stable the support structure looks at Disneyland:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianrechenmacher/2554860465/sizes/l/

Wow! :eek: What a difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom