Let’s Get Down to Business, to Defeat… the Run: A Wine & Dine Half Marathon TR

What can I say? I’ve been more than just a little obsessed with naming my reports after Disney songs as of late!

Things have been quite crazy in our lives since the last trip report was posted. We spent the better parts of October and November house hunting and then found our “dream” home just before Thanksgiving. Our fabulous realtor got us in to see it the very same day and we put an offer on it that night! Crazy, I know. But smart because it turned out that multiple other offers came in the very next day. We took another Disney trip over Thanksgiving and then upon returning, we closed on our house. Moved in right before Christmas and we’ve spent the last month trying to get situated. All excuses for why this trip report is incredibly late and also the reason why I’ve been MIA on the trip report forum as of late. Not only do I need to get my reports posted, but I need to catch up on so many of your fabulous reports, as well – my apologies, as I’ve been reading, but not responding!

So on to this trip report…

When: September 29th – October 3rd
Where: Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
Why: Wine & Dine Half Marathon
Who: Mr. and Mrs. Hollybelle

marathon_finisher_asi.jpg

Yep, that’s us, after miraculously surviving the 2009 marathon - all the gory details here: Going the Distance from Mile 1 to 26.2!

Let’s back up a bit – like, to the middle of last year. :lol: June 2011 rolled around and I started getting the bug to do another Disney race. It hit me that we had participated in Disney races in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Surely we couldn’t let 2011 go by without lacing up the running shoes. There was only one rule – NO half-a$$ training. For real, this time. We both vowed to find a training schedule and stick to it like white on rice.

This time around it was about so much more than finishing the race. You see, we managed to accomplish that when we finished the Princess Half on no more than a couple of two or three mile runs – I won’t even pretend to call those training runs. And if I’m being honest, finishing that race didn’t really feel like much of an accomplishment because I knew so much more could have been accomplished if I’d only put forth the effort. No, the purpose of this race was not to finish it, but to train for it. The battle was not fought on the day of the race, but in the three months prior to it. For me, it was about goal setting and follow-through. For Brett it was about redemption. He claimed that this was a “business” trip... and he meant it.

With that we spent the month of July building up a base with some short 2-3 mile runs around the neighborhood. At the beginning of August we scoped out a local park/trail to do our long runs on and we found a very basic training plan that required a total of three runs per week over the course of eight weeks. Why did we choose a training schedule with a mere three runs per week? Because we don’t like to run. :eek: :lol: No really, I found that while training for the 2009 Marathon, I burned out long before I reached the halfway point in my training – and I attribute it in part to the fact that I was running five days a week.

The most basic of training schedules: http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

I’m proud to say we didn’t miss a single run, and believe me when I tell you that there were quite a few days when I really, really, did not want to suit up and hit the pavement. I feel like I’m constantly reading about people who love to run – folks who are itching to get outside and lose themselves in the steady rhythm of a good run. As much as I may wish it to be true - that is NOT me. And that’s okay. Throughout this experience, I found that what got me out the door was dedication to my goal, not the lure of the run itself. Don't get me wrong, the endorphin high that came after finishing a difficult run was addicting, but not the run itself.

A bit more specificity about our goals – Brett’s redemption goal was a two-hour finish time. Aside from not missing a training run, mine was to simply run all 13.1 miles (no walking) with the hopes of coming in under two and a half hours. From the very beginning, we split up. We went out to do our runs at the same time each day, but unlike all our runs of the past, we didn’t run together. Instead, we found ourselves passing by one another, high fiving, as we each moved along to our own beat. This allowed Brett to move at a more challenging pace, and it allowed me to find my own personal motivation to keep going.

Unfortunately, when he was about 5 miles into our last long run, a piercing pain shot up Brett’s calf. I remember coming around the edge of the running path to grab a gel at mile 4, only to find Brett leaning against the car, looking a bit distraught. He did the smart thing and bailed on the run. I offered to stop with him, but he wouldn’t hear of it. So he spent the time stretching at a picnic table while I finished the final 6 miles of my last long run. He put in a solid two miles for our last easy run the Tuesday before departure and we both hoped upon hope that all his prior training would be enough to carry him through race day.

An instagram Brett snapped as he waited for me to finish a long run – I’m not sure what it is about this picture, but I love it. It reminds me of all our training:

IMG_0086.jpg

With that, it was time to put our training to the test, and get down to business... Shang-style! :lol:

Shang.jpg

PolynesianPrincess

Congrats on the finish of the race. You had a great time! Awesome to see how seriously you trained for it. I'm starting to get serious about training for the ToT race... Originally I was in it to see the rare characters but the more I started to train, the more I loved how I felt after running. It was a great, natural high. The characters, whether or not they have them, are just a bonus now. Plus, I want a cool medal and an after party at DHS!!! :D

LOVE the waffles at Roaring Fork! I got the bananas fosters waffles in November and they were really good! Seeing the pics of the walkway to the boat dock makes me want to be back at the WL right NOW!! Sadly, 85 days to go... not that I'm counting.. or anything :lookaroun

I love how you caught the parasailer behind the Contemp. What a great picture. I'm fiddling with my new camera now trying to grasp the whole concept of how to use it. Definitely so much better than my point and shoot... Now I just have to figure out how to take pretty pictures before my next trip :sohappy:

Enjoy the weekend at Disney. So jealous you're going again! Soak up some sun for me because it's snowy and cold up here in Maine :cry:

Soaringirl

Great report Holly! Congratulations on the new house and finishing the race!
You and Brett must be so proud of yourselves.. I know I feel a certain sense of accomplishment just walking on the treadmill every day, so this must feel really good. :sohappy:
I just love how you cram so much into a small amount of time. (All your character meet and greets - even during the race)
It must have been fun to hang out with MillerPoppins, Fashionista, Partofyourworld and Miriam (trying to remember - I hope I got that right - sorry if I didn't.) A year or so ago we were staying at POFQ and I knew Sweetpee and her family were there also and I kept looking around for her (nope, not an axe murderer just a fan!)
Hope you have another wonderful trip and I'm patiently waiting for more reports! Thanks! :wave:

Flipflops245

Thank you for writing this trip report! I am interested in running the Wine & Dine half this year, and you gave a lot of great info and pictures. :wave: Congrats on finishing the race!

Disneyfalcon

Shoot, I should have written things down! You made me laugh so many times! I love your running trip reports! Since the run is something I'm pretty sure I will never experience, I love reading about someone elses!:)

You do make them sound awesome.

And I'm with Kelly! Brett totally ran it under 2 hours! He stopped for character pictures and made it just over two? He did it!

DisneyFan1003

Great report - you got that finished almost as fast as you finished the run! :ROFLOL:

Congrats to you both on another Disney medal - perpahs another Christmas tree is in order, decorated with your medals. Just a thought!

Have fun on your current trip....your cup runneth over!!

P.S. - Just gave you a little "shout out" in my report regarding Fairytale Cuvee...or lack of!!

Kristia

Congratulations on your great finish! Even though it was tough at the end you hung in there! Way to go! 2:36 is very respectable. Congratulations to Brett too! Even though he didn't make his goal, 2:02 is awesome! And I agree with everyone else. Character stops don't count. He finished in under 2 hours :lol:

Darn you for showing me those banana waffles again. I saw them in Darolyn's report earlier this week. Ugh! I REALLY need to get me some of those waffles!!!! You guys are torturing me!! It also looks like I need to go to San Angel Inn to get some enchiladas verdes! They look totally yummy as well :slurp:

What's this?! You might be doing a race at the 2013 marathon? We will all have to plan a get together if you do. It sounds like there may be quite a few of us down there. We are toying with the idea of doing the Goofy barring injuries and if we can stomach the race fees! :eek:

Hope you're having a good time at the world. I admit it....I am a little jealous :lol:

diddy_mouse

“2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon, I’m going to kick your a$$.” Yep. That’s what I told myself – whatever gets you through the race, right? :lookaroun

I totally love this... You rock, girl! :king:

Congrats to both you and Brett for hitting your race goals! The two of you definitely earned those medals. :sohappy: That must have been the greatest feeling once you crossed the finish line knowing you have another runDisney event under your belt, and a half-marathon to boot!

*sigh* Your delicious food pictures are making me drool. :slurp: Kailua pork sliders? Yes please! My wonderful husband actually got my the recent Food and Wine Festival cookbook as a Christmas present and I so need to make these things. And pairing them with a Kona Longboard is certainly the way to go. Have you tried the Wailua Wheat? Good stuff!

Ooh, nice shout out to La Hacienda. This has become one of my favorite counter service spots, especially at Epcot. When we're not at Sunshine Seasons we make sure to fuel up on the goodness that is La Hacienda.

It's so cool you got to meet up with fellow forum members. This is something I'd love to do. Hmm...you might be at the Food and Wine Festival this year? Brandon and I are trying for a week-long stay during our anniversary, which is being shared by Columbus Day this time around. Maybe we'll cross paths?

Have a great trip this weekend! :wave:

joanna71985

Great TR! I love the title...that's one of my favorite songs from the movie

Hopefully one of these days we can meet up around WDW (and sometime before the cruise next year :eek: ).

fractal

Holly,

Loved the commentary during the race! Brett definitely hit his goal taking into account all the character stops and the bad leg. Very gritty of him to tough it out!- I don't think I could have done that ( or I would have limped/crawled to the finish line ).

And congrats on your time! Looks like the training paid off. The non-DSLR pics during the race are still great and capture the atmosphere! The longest I've ever run at one time without stop is 10 miles and right now I could maybe go 5 - but your report ( and Ariel's) got me thinking about a Disney run. At the least it would give me a good excuse for an extra trip. :)

It's pretty awesome that you have a job that gets you down there so often. I'm sure I'm not the only one dripping with envy.

plaz10

Ok first things first - those medals? TO DIE FOR. You know I love me some SSE - so that medal is just calling to me. Love.

Normally I don't make notes for TRs - I figure if it was important/clever enough for me to remember to say...I'll remember it. But this I wrote down because I laughed out loud at work and it's a somber time since licensing is next week so everyone is crazy stressed. The pic of you w/the fairies at W&D. Fauna's head looks like it's detached. She's quite possibly the creepiest looking character EVER (in that pic - in Brett's she's normal). Like crazy creepy nightmare to children head tilt. But it made me laugh out loud for about 10 straight seconds so thank you for that.

Jealous that you got to meet some fabulous wdwmagic ladies. Stupid PA being so far away from Florida. Sad face. Hopefully we will all meet soon! (Someone's gotta vouch for my non-axe murderer...ness.)

And you and Kenz are both on the twitter? Perhaps I should join the human race and dive in. I just got hooked on Pinterest and my work is suffering. :ROFLOL: Not really - my sanity is saved a bit, though. I will look into tackling another form of social media I suppose - for you and Kenzie...anything!

Fashionista007

Shelley and I just did the EXACT same thing over the weekend when we met in Baltimore... two hours afterwards, it appeared on twitter "Crap, we forgot to do a picture!"

How fun... a Disney meet and greet in Baltimore. Isn't Shelley the most fabulous!? Love her.

Aww thanks ladies :) Much love!

I've only read up to the marathon but I have to say I agree with you about the removal of some of the little things that made your vacation that much more customized and special. I miss the different resort mugs, special designs on the plastic bags for different events, special designs on tickets for events, etc.

I can't wait to read about Sunday Oct 2nd :D

Fashionista007

Okay I'm caught up!

We arrived in France a little after 11:00 and hopped in line to get some Coq-au-vin. While standing there fiddling with my camera settings, I looked up and saw some wedding ears coming down the bridge from England. OMG… Shelley (Fashionista007) and Jason! Hooray. I hopped out of line so quickly, without so much as a sideways glance towards Brett and went running for Shelley. We had plans to meet up at 11:30am, but were both about 20 minutes early. Hah. I love punctual people. Brett appeared with the Coq-au-vin (super delish, by the way) and some water and we bonded with Shelley and Jason over our Disney weddings.

A few minutes later, Jess (partofyourworld) and her mom, Diane, joined us. They were seriously the sweetest.

IMG_0498.jpg

I love this picture! We should take another one in September because....I'm doing the ToT 10mi race too! I'm also doing the EE 5k in May :) I have caught the running bug!! Of course, I will be WAY behind everyone else!

You're with my twin and older sister!!!!!! :D:lol:

LOL I have no problem being your older sister since that waiter carded me for wine at dinner! You'll understand when you get carded at 31 :D

PolynesianPrincess

Okay I'm caught up!

I love this picture! We should take another one in September because....I'm doing the ToT 10mi race too! I'm also doing the EE 5k in May :) I have caught the running bug!! Of course, I will be WAY behind everyone else!

YAY, everyone is joining in on the running!!! ToT 10 miler should be a good time to have a meet and great with all the ladies of WDWMagic :D

snookie5605

awesome report. i also meant to tell you that i absolutely loved your wedding report! you looked beautiful and the whole private ceremony was just perfect. i really wish we chose to do that but we were so worried about everyone else and having everybody at our wedding. but it is the plans for a 10 year anniversary vow renewal ceremony there! i loved the pics from the cruise. i have never been on one period and those pics and the report really make me want to go on one!

ILDisneyFan

Awesome trip report! My family and I were there the same dates you all were there except we arrived on September 25th and left the evening of October 1st. We went to 2 MNSSHP and they were both CrAzY! I don't know if everyone wanted to be there at that time of the year because of the 40th Anniversary or what but it was seriously Chip and Dale NuTs! Of course, here lately it seems like there's not a less crowded time to go EVER anymore! Either that or everyone just decides to go the same time we decide to go. Congratulations on completing the race that's so totally awesome! I would NEVER be able to run that far, I simply just wouldn't make it! Do they have a walking marathon? Now that I could do! :ROFLOL:

snookie5605

Day 5 – Monday, October 3, 2011: Check out / Magic Kingdom / Epcot

On Monday, we got up at 6:30am, packed, handed over our bags to bell services, and hopped in the car with a very important destination in mind – Wilderness Lodge WAFFLES! Hooray! Seriously, I love me some bananas fosters waffles. As you can see in the picture below, we both went with the children’s version this time around (two waffles instead of three), and get this… the children’s version includes a drink. I mean, really, bonus buy!

IMG_0676.jpg

With full bellies we walked down to the boat ramp and made our way over to the Magic Kingdom.

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

The Grand Floridian is so picturesque.

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

Oddly enough, our whole morning at the Magic Kingdom, could’ve been taken from my May trip report. I think we did the exact same things on each of these departure days.

Where did u get those waffles? I can't find them on any menu on allears and I love bananas foster so I would love to try them

PeoplemoverTTA

Yay, another Holly TR!

I've been to three MNSSHP, and I was at the same party as you. Strangely enough, I had a similar, listless-kinda night. I went on the Peoplemover several times, Haunted Mansion, and met a few characters. It was a nice night, but not like the others. Strange, I know.

I met the same Gaston (in a bunch of your pics, it seems like I was around near the same time, lol). I commented, "Wow, your muscles sure are huge." His reply, "Aren't they though? Thank you!" I LOVED him. Definitely looking forward to meeting him again :D

This TR reminds me, though, that I need to reach out more on the forums. So many WDWMagic-ers that I could've met and put faces to names! I came down for the weekend only, solo, so it would've been nice to meet people.

Ah well, I'm planning on moving to Central Florida next September (I recently went full-time freelance in my copywriting career to help reach that goal). Then I can mosey on down to the parks when I want :sohappy:

erstwo

Ummmmmmmmm..........:eek:..........Wow. Just Wowzers! Amazing perspective!

Those stinkin’ Country Boots!

IMG_0136.jpg

:lol: We've stayed in the Country section before - it's out there isn't it? But you know, it's not *that* much farther than Broadway (which we've stayed in before too.) But it is honestly the farthest point possible from the food court, bus stops, etc!

I am exactly here - and I want to read so much more! But I have to go pack! We leave for the World tomorrow!!!! :sohappy: I'm coming back later tonight though if I get all the laundry done!

jmcdougall

Great trip report Holly. Would you post of picture of you and Brett's Christmas tree? I have a 4 foot tree that I do in just disney ornaments. I would love to see yall's plush tree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom