Let’s Get Down to Business, to Defeat… the Run: A Wine & Dine Half Marathon TR

What can I say? I’ve been more than just a little obsessed with naming my reports after Disney songs as of late!

Things have been quite crazy in our lives since the last trip report was posted. We spent the better parts of October and November house hunting and then found our “dream” home just before Thanksgiving. Our fabulous realtor got us in to see it the very same day and we put an offer on it that night! Crazy, I know. But smart because it turned out that multiple other offers came in the very next day. We took another Disney trip over Thanksgiving and then upon returning, we closed on our house. Moved in right before Christmas and we’ve spent the last month trying to get situated. All excuses for why this trip report is incredibly late and also the reason why I’ve been MIA on the trip report forum as of late. Not only do I need to get my reports posted, but I need to catch up on so many of your fabulous reports, as well – my apologies, as I’ve been reading, but not responding!

So on to this trip report…

When: September 29th – October 3rd
Where: Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
Why: Wine & Dine Half Marathon
Who: Mr. and Mrs. Hollybelle

marathon_finisher_asi.jpg

Yep, that’s us, after miraculously surviving the 2009 marathon - all the gory details here: Going the Distance from Mile 1 to 26.2!

Let’s back up a bit – like, to the middle of last year. :lol: June 2011 rolled around and I started getting the bug to do another Disney race. It hit me that we had participated in Disney races in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Surely we couldn’t let 2011 go by without lacing up the running shoes. There was only one rule – NO half-a$$ training. For real, this time. We both vowed to find a training schedule and stick to it like white on rice.

This time around it was about so much more than finishing the race. You see, we managed to accomplish that when we finished the Princess Half on no more than a couple of two or three mile runs – I won’t even pretend to call those training runs. And if I’m being honest, finishing that race didn’t really feel like much of an accomplishment because I knew so much more could have been accomplished if I’d only put forth the effort. No, the purpose of this race was not to finish it, but to train for it. The battle was not fought on the day of the race, but in the three months prior to it. For me, it was about goal setting and follow-through. For Brett it was about redemption. He claimed that this was a “business” trip... and he meant it.

With that we spent the month of July building up a base with some short 2-3 mile runs around the neighborhood. At the beginning of August we scoped out a local park/trail to do our long runs on and we found a very basic training plan that required a total of three runs per week over the course of eight weeks. Why did we choose a training schedule with a mere three runs per week? Because we don’t like to run. :eek: :lol: No really, I found that while training for the 2009 Marathon, I burned out long before I reached the halfway point in my training – and I attribute it in part to the fact that I was running five days a week.

The most basic of training schedules: http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

I’m proud to say we didn’t miss a single run, and believe me when I tell you that there were quite a few days when I really, really, did not want to suit up and hit the pavement. I feel like I’m constantly reading about people who love to run – folks who are itching to get outside and lose themselves in the steady rhythm of a good run. As much as I may wish it to be true - that is NOT me. And that’s okay. Throughout this experience, I found that what got me out the door was dedication to my goal, not the lure of the run itself. Don't get me wrong, the endorphin high that came after finishing a difficult run was addicting, but not the run itself.

A bit more specificity about our goals – Brett’s redemption goal was a two-hour finish time. Aside from not missing a training run, mine was to simply run all 13.1 miles (no walking) with the hopes of coming in under two and a half hours. From the very beginning, we split up. We went out to do our runs at the same time each day, but unlike all our runs of the past, we didn’t run together. Instead, we found ourselves passing by one another, high fiving, as we each moved along to our own beat. This allowed Brett to move at a more challenging pace, and it allowed me to find my own personal motivation to keep going.

Unfortunately, when he was about 5 miles into our last long run, a piercing pain shot up Brett’s calf. I remember coming around the edge of the running path to grab a gel at mile 4, only to find Brett leaning against the car, looking a bit distraught. He did the smart thing and bailed on the run. I offered to stop with him, but he wouldn’t hear of it. So he spent the time stretching at a picnic table while I finished the final 6 miles of my last long run. He put in a solid two miles for our last easy run the Tuesday before departure and we both hoped upon hope that all his prior training would be enough to carry him through race day.

An instagram Brett snapped as he waited for me to finish a long run – I’m not sure what it is about this picture, but I love it. It reminds me of all our training:

IMG_0086.jpg

With that, it was time to put our training to the test, and get down to business... Shang-style! :lol:

Shang.jpg

tink65

Hey Holly, Great trip report! Your picture with Flora, Fauna and Merriwether is so good. That is the character stop that I met Brett at! Mine didn't turn out well....it was really fuzzy..... All my other pictures turned out great so I can't complain too much! Anyway, thanks for sharing your trip!

WishIWasAtWDW

great trip report holly! i am so envious of your hard core training mentality. wes and i are running in the princess half marathon in 22 days and i have been seriously slacking on the training. at this point, i am just hoping to finish the race under 3 hours. :lol: i'm sorry that you both didn't meet your time goals for the race but you both should be so proud of how close you came! very impressive! and that medal is amazing. thanks for sharing another fabulous trip report! can't wait to read the next one.

oh...and i absolutely LOVE your trip report title! i remember when the disney channel used to play music videos during commercial breaks and i always loved when they played that song from mulan. my friends and i would sing along with the video. :lol: fond memories of that song.

TakeMeThere81

Yay, I got to read your report!! You did such an awesome job getting it all up at once, very efficient! So as usual, I have taken notes while reading, so my comments will stretch from start of the report to finish so I hope they are not confusing.

You mentioned you are not the type of person who loves/likes running. I totally get that. Running is hard!! And honestly it can seem just awkward to go on and on and on...I happen to be one of the people who love running, and it is because running is a HUGE stress-reliever for me. I started back up regularly at the start of the year and I have set a 1000-mile goal this year. I am running a 5K this weekend, then a St. Patty's Day 8K in March, a Rock n Roll Half in May and then some others...and a marathon in October!! :sohappy:

So we're 5 weeks into the year, and while it's going very well...I still hate those first 2 miles:fork:! But all-in-all you know what I love? Thanks to Disney, all types of runners are getting involved. Kuddos to Disney for giving people motivation to get out and run...whether they love it or not, right? Everyone loves a Disney race, it's an amazing experience.

I loved reading about your training plans. It was cool to read about your separate goals and how you encouraged one another. You two are great partners!

(...and the trip report portion starts...)

Phineas and Ferb! Sorry you didn't end up meeting them! I totally get why you really haven't had much exposure, I would say they appeal to the bigger-kid group. My kids are all in that group so I get plenty of exposure! But I encourage you, watch a few episodes with Brett...the characters are so awesome! I personally love Dr. Doofenshmirtz the best! He's a hilarious villian!

While reading about your night at the MNSSHP and the "funk" you were talking about, I totally empathized with you. We had this happen on our last trip, last full day. It stinks! However, I LOVE your character pic with Dr. Facilier! What a great stance!! And the Marios and Luigis...it surprises me too that these costumes are so popular...and kind of annoys me. I like my kids to try out original costumes that are more homemade(like you were mentioning). A great example was this year, my oldest son Caleb was Barack Obama. :) Lastly, the stitch was awesome! My middle son was actually that exact Stitch costume in his 626 outfit this year! It is a costume we have had since the movie originally came out. That was cool to see!

(...and onto the race) Wow you guys did awesome in the race!! It was so great to hear how your body took it and you did so great! And Brett really did great too! So sorry he started feeling it at the end. Maybe one day Disney will come up with a Triathlon and he can swim and bike and you can run :) I loved hearing about the Wine and Dine, it does sound like a great race to attempt running goals, rather than stopping every mile to party and see characters. Both experiences are great!

Your bling was awesome!!! :king:

The Brown Derby experience was weird...what's the point of a ressy there? Geez. I was :sohappy: to read about your San Angel dinner! I, myself have given it a bad review before, but your dinner looked delicious! Even though my experience wasn't great, I have really been rooting for it to get better because of the awesome atmosphere you were talking about!

I loved all of your pictures as usual! You guys are so fun to follow on your trip reports! I just figured out Instagram myself, and I loved Brett's photos.

I hope you had a great Disney weekend! How lucky that your job sends you down there from time to time...that's a job worth keeping for a long time! :D

RunDisney is a totally addictive race series. I have only ran the Princess Half but I want to check them all off of my list! I have my sights set on the Disneyland Half Marathon in September of this year. We don't know what we are doing at this point. We just can't seem to get concrete plans on the book. :hammer: The ultimate plan is that we want to purchase a travel trailer. There are quite a few "natural" attractions we want to explore here on the west coast prior to our next move(2013) and then we want to be able to use our travel trailer on our cross-country move, whatever direction it may take us. Ben is totally for me registering for the DHM but I hesitate...you see we already know that we're going to put San Diego as our #1 station pick for when we are re-assigned and I wonder if I will feel silly going all the way down there now and doing the half then ending up moving right next door! I just can't decide! DHM is filling up fast...I think it opened just 2 weeks ago and it's already 60+% full. I don't know what to do...do I just sign up and do it??

Speaking of 2013...I hate that I will most likely be missing the cruise! We will be moving, I might be in nursing school, etc. I will be missing you gals! :cry:

melflip8

The best part though was that Admiral Ackbar appeared before us. The worst part is that he didn’t scream out “It’s A Trap!” Boooo. For the rest of the night we took it upon ourselves to scream out “It’s A Trap!” every chance we got. :lol:

Hey Holly!

Long time lurker, first time poster...haha. Love your trip reports as always...but this part cracked me up specifically. My BF, Mark, and I CANT stop saying it after we ride that ride. Glad to see we're not the only ones!

Secondly, I'm running (aka limping through since I havent trained) the Princess Half on Feb 26th and will definitely be cashing in on some BioFreeze.

I'm attempting my first COMPLETE trip report based on our trip this weekend. Gotta take inspiration from you and WDWFigment. :)

surfsupdon

Thanks for the report--CONGRATS!!

Love running at Disney and making a run a component of the trip!!

Congrats on making your goal...looks like you both had a great time. Did you get to ride Soarin' after the race?? Was there a long line?

I was at the Wine & Dine and felt that race had more "going on" than the Half Marathon this past January. More characters and a better course at W&D.

Are you both signed up for any other Disney Races this year?

emcclay

I always love your trip reports! Grats on the half marathon! Hopefully, I'll be participating in one this year or next :sohappy:

dragwit

We couldn’t pass up Germany without a round of beer, now, could we?!

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

We got the first beer flight, which had a Roog on the menu that Brett was looking to try. And it was delicious. We sat down at one of the picnic tables they had in the area and chatted with another couple about the race, while enjoying our beers. That's "great afternoon" material, right there!

Left to right: Roog, Weizen, Pilsner.

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Whats going through Germany without beer? MMMMM...I love me some amber and somewhat darker beer. Congrats on the 1/2 Marathon! I love reading your TRs! Your pictures are incredible!

mamamouse

OMG we were at 2 parks the same day as you guys awe boooooooo my girls woulda loved to see the princess (thats what thewy called you when I was reading your wedding report)

Love the report! Congrats on your goals. BF is planning to run the ToT race in Sept. I don't think I am quite ready for that but I am hoping to race in 2013.

I have mentioned to you before that I passed you in Epcot on Oct. 2. Seeing your pictures was wonderful because I passed you in France right when you were taking the picture you posted. I should have stopped and gotten advice from 2 Disney brides.

Fashionista007

I have mentioned to you before that I passed you in Epcot on Oct. 2. Seeing your pictures was wonderful because I passed you in France right when you were taking the picture you posted. I should have stopped and gotten advice from 2 Disney brides.

That's too funny! My first meta forum moment :) It's a small world after all....

PartOfYourWorld

Finally got to catching up on the report since getting back to reality :( (boo reality)

It was so great to see you last week and get the chance to talk to you more!!! :) And running into you and Brett in DTD :lol:

Back to the report! Congrats to you both for finishing the race! And you were still very close to your goals I wouldn't be discouraged!

I am very disappointed we didn't get to try that Pork Slider over at the Hawaii booth, that looked so good! There was a few things that we didn't get a chance to try because we were too full.

I also have to agree with you on the calamari salad..it has an odd taste to it. Not my favorite.

Love the picture of all of us!!! It was so great to meet you that weekend, made the trip that much better! :)

Thanks for another great hollybelle trip report as always!

You're with my twin and older sister!!!!!! :D:lol:

AWWWW :sohappy:

MillerPoppins

Sooo late commenting on your awesome trip report!!!

First things first, so proud of you for completing the marathon!!! Bummer that Brett didn't get his goal but still so awesome that it was so close! Still a great time!

Ok now on to the serious stuff...I'm am ridiculously jealous that you met Carl Fredrickson. First Boo, now this. Almost makes me want to run 13.1 miles to meet him AND Vader!!! So awesome/jealous!

Yes, I am not an ax murderer. I prefer numbchucks. More fun for me and the victim. :D

Seriously though, Tim and I so enjoyed our lunch with you and Brett! We definitely would love to have more play time with you guys in the World again soon!

meeskamickey

Well Hollybelle, another GREAT trip report! I was laid up today after having some minor surgery (feeling grumpy I might add) so I checked out the trip report forum and up pops a trip report for you!!! Soooo, you totally took my mind off of today so thanks! I truly love reading your reports and really enjoy when it happens to be race trip report. So thanks girl! On to some comments....

First, love the pics (as always). I was so bummed for you guys that there wasn't many characters during the race. Boo. But, I am so happy for you and your overall time! Hopefully Brett's leg is feeling better. You guys HAVE to keep running these Disney races for the simple fact that I love reading your race reports (HA). Just kidding!!!

Second, I have to say that your wedding band/engagement ring combo is very pretty! I am fairly certain I did see the combo in your wedding report but I notice it in a pic you posted this time around and just wanted to comment that it is a very pretty combo.

Lastly, congrats on the new house! Home ownership is wonderful. May you and Brett have many happy years together in that home!

Wow, such a great report! LOVED the race! Congrats to both you and Brett on your awesome times! Sounds like the Wine and Dine is the best Disney race for a PR based on lack of character love. Loved the shot with Flora, Fauna, and Merriweather and the dancing Fantasia animals were pretty sweet too. I really really wanted to run this race because I would have turned 29 in the middle of the race but school is a little more important than race bling.....at least, that what I kept telling myself haha. I am going to run the full in 2013 though.

Your food and wine pics looked amazing, totally made me hungry. Oh, and Coronarita! Don't knock it till you try it lol. Coronarita is to margarita what champagne is to wine. It's exactly like a good margarita (if they use good tequila.....) with a little bit of bubbly to it. Granted, I was a little tipsy when I had mine, but I thought it was good.

Oh, and a belated congrats on the house! Very exciting for you and Brett. Hope you two are having a great time at the world right now!

disneyny

I was so excited to see a new trip report from you. I always love reading your reports and I get to feel for a little while like I am there. I wish I was among all of you that got to go a few times each year- so lucky! I am hoping someday to do a run there- if anything could inspire me to run it should be a trip to Disney. Your girls cruise sounds like a blast too especially since you feel like you know everyone after reading all these detailed trip reports. I have 6 weeks until we welcome a new little one to the family and then maybe I can start training for a run in the future while I try to get back to looking human again! Looking forward to more trip reports!

sweetpee_1993

LOL I have no problem being your older sister since that waiter carded me for wine at dinner! You'll understand when you get carded at 31 :D

The enjoyment of being carded as the years go by only increases. I'm currently just short of flinging myself across the counter and embracing my new best friend. :lol:

YAY, everyone is joining in on the running!!! ToT 10 miler should be a good time to have a meet and great with all the ladies of WDWMagic :D

That's it! I'm going to sign up today so I can't back out. I'm totally gonna do it...somehow. Shelley, I'll be at the back of the pack with you. I'm too old to be fast. LOL! Holly? You in?

Phineas and Ferb! Sorry you didn't end up meeting them! I totally get why you really haven't had much exposure, I would say they appeal to the bigger-kid group. My kids are all in that group so I get plenty of exposure! But I encourage you, watch a few episodes with Brett...the characters are so awesome! I personally love Dr. Doofenshmirtz the best! He's a hilarious villian!

Speaking of 2013...I hate that I will most likely be missing the cruise! We will be moving, I might be in nursing school, etc. I will be missing you gals! :cry:

This reminds me, why can't I get into Phineas & Ferb? The boys don't like it either. I want to like it, tho. Is there a particular episode that y'all could recommend? I ask this because if I watched Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends from episode 1/season 1 forward I would never have liked that show either. Chandler introduced me to the 'Mac Daddy' episode in season 2 followed by 'The Big Cheese' which totally got me hooked. Mac Daddy rocks! Bloo Cheese...Mac & Cheese...Cheese-n-Crackers...Cheese Louise....brilliance! :lol:

And, Holly, I believe we may need to put together a covert operation to go nab Mellie for the cruise. Seriously.

Okay. Loved the finish. You knocked it out of the park as usual. The Wilderness Lodge pics headed out to the boat dock totally take me back, too. It's the little things at the WL that call you back, ya know?

The scary mom & traumatized child on SM, oh my. :lookaroun This is so sad to me. My dad made me ride BTMRR when I was 6, crying, terrified, begging not to have to do it. Nope, had to or else (according to Dad) we were leaving. It scared me so bad. It's one of a few times in my childhood I recall clearly thinking, "This is it. I'm going to die now. The end is right here." I didn't ride again until I was 12 and bribed. :lol:

The atmosphere at La Hacienda looks so amazing. I wish even good food reports could get me in there. I'm not big on Mexican food and there's now 5 decent Mexican restaurants within 3 miles of us. I wonder how mad they'd be if I went to just sit, eat chips, and drink beer? :slurp:

And I'm reminded to ask...You Tweet now??? Please don't tell me you've joined the FB flock, too?! LOL! I'm still resisting like the plague. The thought of being "followed" or "liked" is inherently creepy to me. I shall continue as living proof that there IS a full and happy life without FB! Or Twitter! Oh yeeeeesssss!!!!!!

Can't wait for the next report. How many more are yet to come??? Not that that's a bad thing to have to worry with. :lol:

HouCuseChickie

So excited to see a Hollybelle trip report! :sohappy: Totally helped me pass down time on my day off- in between vacuuming and baking. :lol: Not really sure where to begin, but I will say that I'm going to have to fwd this to my friend so she can take a look. She's getting back into serious running and is looking for inspiration to run a race at WDW (or maybe I'm the one pushing her that way :lookaroun:lol:). I don't know why, but those cowboy boots cracked me up each time! :D Congrats on the race and the house! Can't wait to see future reports! :wave:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I am so enjoying this report. I am trying to talk my husband into running the Tower of Terror run in the fall. He is so not a runner. I ran track in school years ago and when I was in the Army but after 4 kids, I am not sure if I could even do it anymore. C25K here we come. LOL Can't wait for the rest of it but I am off to bed. Hoping it will be up for breakfast tomorrow.

Thanks so much! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed reading it; I’ve found that the race reports are probably my favorite to write. Lots of people seem to swear by C25K – so I’d say that’s a great place to start!

Yay for the racin'! I'm totally itchin' to know if Brett and YOU made your goals! If I was a bettin' girl I'd go with yes to both.

Love the character pics along the way. What do you carry for picture-taking during a running event? A point & shoot? Do you hold it in your hand?

And I've often wondered about the running belt things. I just can't imagine having anything around my waist let alone the thought of anything bouncing around my waist. Ya know?

Can't wait for more! You and your cliff-hangers!

Tricked you! No cliffhangers this time. Yes, I carried a point and shoot in my hand the whole time I was running. To keep from it getting slick with sweat, I carried it in a smallI quilted fabric case (Vera Bradley) that zips down one side and one end. I looped both the case strap and the camera strap around my wrist and then just held the camera inside the case (without zipping it up) – the fabric made it easier to hold and not slippery. I think you can see the case hanging from my wrist in one of the pictures – maybe the one with Buzz.

HATE the fuel belts, and mine isn’t even one that holds water bottles – it’s about the flattest, slimmest belt I could find to hold gels, and I still hate it. I always wonder how people where the water bottle ones. I think they have to be worn up high around your “true” waist to work. And that just bugs me – I would want it way down on my hips.

Yay, you're done! The Spectro "characters" had to be my favourite of the pictures, I miss Spectro with all my heart. Congrats on finishing so close to your goal time! Impressive stufffff, Holly. If someone told me I had to run for that long, even at the Vorld, I'd probably punch them.. though Lauren wants to do one of these marathons, and Mom said she'd go to cheer her on.

I totally think you should join Lauren and run a Disney race! I’ll come run it with you.

For the record, your TR was the proverbial "Buzz Lightyear" at the end of a really gruelling library stint wherein I read 120 textbook pages of Industrial-Organizational Psychology.. Justin is just finishing up his midterm prep and looking at me in the "it's 10:30, why are you so happy all of the sudden" ways that BFFs do when they know that you hate your life.

Hooray for proverbial Buzz Lightyear’s and boooo to I/O Psychology – I remember that class all too well.

Oooooh I think you're on your way to a cruise right now!!!! Can't wait to read all about it.

Sadddd for Brett, his poor leg! But he's so lucky that he made it as far as he did - I feel like you wouldn't have let him live down by-passing him after the Corral B comments..

My Corral B comments were harsh, I know! But all in jest, I promise. I would’ve felt awful passing him. In fact, I probably would’ve had trouble not stopping and walking it in with him.

SSE + medals + Holly and Brett = cutest picture.

PS: WHERE ARE THE MIRROR PICS? I expect so much more from you...

PPS: I'm glad your skirt didn't fall down, because that would have been embarrassing for you.

:ROFLOL: You made me laugh out loud when I first read this – a half marathon wardrobe malfunction would’ve been interesting, to say the least!

Oh! I didn't have to wait long at all!

Well I personally think the character stops don't count so Brett should subtract at least 3 minutes from his finish time to compensate. Just sayin'.

That IS some serious bling-age! Awesome! Congrats to both of you for your accomplishments!

Big tootin' YAAAYYY for another axe-murderer meet-up! Good stuff!

Thanks, Kelly! I totally know what you mean – but Brett disagrees. His goal was two hours with the inclusion of character stops! While he was disappointed, it’s not like he held onto his disappointment and let it ruin the rest of his trip – he moved past it fairly quickly!

And, yes, best bling EVER!

Mmmmmm...beeeeer....oh how I love thee…

Margaritas... ....but I like the salt. I'm so odd.

Afternoon naps are the bestest even in Spaceship Earth. Not that I've ever done that once...or twice...or...

I was cracking up as I read your commentary while I was posting! Beer? Yes, please. Margarita, too? Yes, please! Love me some tequila.

Holly,
Great TR. I have started training for a Disney 1/2 marathon myself and this is totally getting me psyched. I noticed that you mentioned that you trainined in the heat and humidity of South Carolina. Funny enough my family and I live in Columbia so I know exactly what you mean. I am not looking forward to training over the summer. There's nothing like summer in Columbia (the armpit of hell).

On a side note, I also noticed that you stayed at All Star Music. My wife, two sons and M-I-L will be staying in a family suite this upcoming November/December. Any advice and pros and cons you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, great TR. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I would love, love, love to do the Disneyland Half. But I figure having never been there before, our first DL trip will probably focus solely on the parks.

I laughed out loud at your “armpit of hell” comment – Columbia really is hotter than the rest of the state. Training over the summer was rough. Funny enough though, we became accustomed to the oppressive heat and then when it did cool down a bit, we were pleasantly surprised by how well trained we had become, due in part to that heat. It’s all about the hydration! And mentally accepting that there’s nothing you can do to change the weather. It is what it is! I pretty much apply that line to every aspect of life!

Are you driving or flying in for your trip? If you’re flying, I would suggest requesting a room near the front of the resort to get you closer to the bus stop. If you drive, and plan on driving to the parks while you’re there, the buildings in the back aren’t too bad because you can park super close to your room. You can probably find better tips/suggestions on other parts of the forums. Usually they relate to bus transportation/refillable mugs and such. We don’t do either. Sorry I can’t be of more help. I will say that some of our cleanest rooms have been All-Star rooms and not mods/deluxes.

Yay, excited for you!

Also, you're on THE TWITTER? kbmacdowell, follow me pleaseeeee so I can keep up with this trippy!

My apologies for not tweeting more often while we were there! I’m such a disappointment. :D

Fabulous report, Holly! So much to comment on...

Ack! I still owe you a big comment post! I’ll be off to rectify that soon.

SQUEE! How fun would that be?!

Wow, Corral B...that's serious business! The corral placement thing is something I totally overthink when it comes to these races. I keep thinking I have it somewhat figured out, then *poof* they throw me another curveball. Sneaky runDisney.

I have absolutely no clue how the corral placements work. The front of B was no joke, but Brett said he came up on the back of B pretty quickly. He was at the front of C and said it was smooth sailing the first few minutes and then he hit a wall of walkers that he had to bob and weave through causing him to make a lot of cuts back and forth (probably had a major effect on his leg in the end). Why there were walkers in B, I don’t know.

LOVE the nighttime parade character photos...very cool. I think we saw the Spectro fireflies on the marathon course, but I can't remember for sure. I'm glad that you weren't disappointed by the lack of characters! And I LOL'd at the thought of Brett grabbing some complete stranger in a matching fuchsia top. Too funny.

The fairies and Fantasia characters were a really fun surprise. And gave me high hopes for the character turnout on the race as a whole. It’s kinda funny that the characters in the first two miles were the only rare ones.

Hooray for no Biofreeze! That must've been a great feeling. I totally know what you mean about those Amphipod fuel belts. Mine either sits in just the right place or is unwearable. It seems to change from run to run. Your pockets sound very creative...what kind of running skirts to you have? I know some have a small pocket above the butt, but even those are probably only big enough for just one gel. At any rate, I'm glad you didn't have a wardrobe malfunction on the course!

Almost all of my running skirts are from Target (I think the brand is C9). They’ve got the shorts built in under them, not the briefs. I have a couple Nike ones that I got at TJMaxx but they just aren’t as comfortable as the $20 Target ones! These have a small flap pocket on the inside of the front (which is where I got the idea to add the two extras), and I kept my ID, room key, and a $20 bill in there (emergency fund in case I need a margarita while running and all!). :lookaroun

I'm so sorry to hear that Brett was having issues during the race But 2:02 with 7 character stops and an injury is an amazing, so kudos to Brett! And kudos to you too for an awesome time as well! You guys rock!

It was fun having a goal that didn’t simply revolve around not keeling over this time! :lol:

Bud Light?! LAME. But at least you got to meet Chip and Dale in their cooking gear! So cute.

I mean, really, Bud Light? That’s just cruel!

So do you think you'd do the Wine & Dine again? Which course (W&D or Princess) did you like better, or is it too hard to compare since they are such different experiences (night with no characters vs. day race with characters)?

Yes, I’d definitely do the W&D again. But probably not before doing the Donald and the Princess again. The courses are really difficult to compare - when taking characters out of the equation, that is. I absolutely loved the run through the Animal Kingdom, maybe even more so than the run through the MK. I’m weird, I know! But the Studios were practically an obstacle course to get through (and not in a good way). I know this doesn’t apply to you, but for anyone who is looking to do their first Disney race, I definitely would recommend Donald or Princess over the W&D.

You're right that the medal is all kinds of classy! Love the short of it with blurry Spaceship Earth in the background!

That’s my favorite shot, too! And of the four we have, this one is definitely my favorite medal!

Yay for meeting up with Shelley, Jason and Jess! You got lots of WDWMagic love on this trip!

Thor Donald...so adorable! Love him.

Meeting everyone was so fun, especially after getting to know one another on the forum.

Will and I are hoping to stay in the Wilderness Lodge on our next long trip and I've been talking up those waffles to him for some time now...they look so mouth-wateringly good! YUM. Your review of San Angel is, I think, one of the only positive ones I've seen. Boy did the food look good in your pictures...we'll have to give it a try sometime.

This reminds me… I need to figure out how to make that bananas foster sauce! It’s seriously the most delicious! And totally different than the usual waffles and syrup combo.

We like San Angel and haven’t had a bad meal there. It doesn’t compare to La Hacienda, but it’s still good for lunch.

I'm so sad that Brett may be retiring from runDisney! But he's smart to realize what is and is not right for his body. And if you ever need a runDisney buddy...you know where to find me!

LOVED the report, as usual! I hope the new house is treating you guys well and that you have a fabulous weekend in WDW!

Brett’s been much more into swimming than running these days, which is a great cardio replacement. We totally need to run a race together! How fun would that be?! I won’t tune you out and listen to study sessions on my iPod either. :) The fact that Princess Craigy runs to something like that absolutely cracks me up. And amazes me all at the same time.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Nope, it's inspired by all of the fairy tales! The evil queen (aka Snow's step mother) sets a curse apon the fairy tale characters when Snow White and hubby are having a baby (whom Rumplestiltskin wants to steal)(I can never remember how to spell his name, so if I get it wrong don't kill me! lol). And Rump is actually the one who designs the spell - and the baby is the only one who can break it. Everyone in the story ends up in this realm, and now the baby is an adult who's son's step mother is the evil queen. It sounds so much more confusing than it is, but it is an AMAZING show! ABC, Sunday nights 8pm.

Yay ToT race!!! Join us!

You're with my twin and older sister!!!!!!

AGREED!!!!! kortni24! I love followers.

Okay, that totally confused me! It was like reading about a cousin’s, uncle’s, ex-wife’s, brother’s, daughter! :lol: Maybe I’ll check it out.

I’m pretty sure I won’t make it to the Tower of Terror because I have my sights set on Marathon Weekend 2013 (whether it’s the half or the full is yet to be determined!). But I’ll be sad to miss what appears to be a great WDWmagic turnout!

YAY, what a fantastic report.....I SO look forward to these. I really want to do a run and this is certainly making me want to sign up for one right now. I actually sent you a message a few weeks ago but I don't think it went through since I didn't hear back (and there was nothing in my sent message so I must not have done it correctly). We are planning our first famiy Disney trip with Oliver and I wanted some advice. We are in the process of booking through Tammy (who has been awesome) but the crazy planner in me is over thinking everything (of course). Oliver will only be 2 so we are only doing 4 days at Disney and then jumping on the Fantasy for 7 nights.....can't wait. I still have your email address so I might send you a quick message for some pointers, if you don't mind.

And awesome job on the run to both of you.....such a wonderful accomplishment !!!!!

Hi, Angie! :wave: I’m so sorry if I missed your PM. Although I’ve gotta say, if Tammy is helping you, then you are in great hands. She’ll make sure you’ve got all the necessary tips to make this a perfect trip for little Oliver. And the cruise?! That sounds even more magical!!

Feel free to send me an email anytime you like and I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have. I’m so excited for you!

Congrats on the finish of the race. You had a great time! Awesome to see how seriously you trained for it. I'm starting to get serious about training for the ToT race... Originally I was in it to see the rare characters but the more I started to train, the more I loved how I felt after running. It was a great, natural high. The characters, whether or not they have them, are just a bonus now. Plus, I want a cool medal and an after party at DHS!!!

Thanks, Darolyn. I’m thinking a DHS after party would probably be the best. Although, with post race track record, we’d probably bail on it. :lookaroun We’ve not truly utilized either of the after parties we had access to (this one and the Inaugural Expedition Everest Challenge), despite all plans to the contrary.

LOVE the waffles at Roaring Fork! I got the bananas fosters waffles in November and they were really good! Seeing the pics of the walkway to the boat dock makes me want to be back at the WL right NOW!! Sadly, 85 days to go... not that I'm counting.. or anything

Aren’t those waffles the absolute best?! Mouthwatering! I really need to go back and catch up on your report! I’m so behind on everyone’s trips.

I love how you caught the parasailer behind the Contemp. What a great picture. I'm fiddling with my new camera now trying to grasp the whole concept of how to use it. Definitely so much better than my point and shoot... Now I just have to figure out how to take pretty pictures before my next trip

Enjoy the weekend at Disney. So jealous you're going again! Soak up some sun for me because it's snowy and cold up here in Maine

You’ll get better (and more comfortable) with your camera the more you use it. I’m a good one to talk – I need to break mine out a little more at home and not just at Disney.

We had a great trip! And unfortunately, I’ve been so busy that I haven’t had the first chance to look back at all the fun pictures from our short weekend getaway.

Great report Holly! Congratulations on the new house and finishing the race!
You and Brett must be so proud of yourselves.. I know I feel a certain sense of accomplishment just walking on the treadmill every day, so this must feel really good.

Thanks, Gloria! I still pinch myself every now and then when I wake up and walk through our house – I’m so in love with it and sometimes can’t believe it’s really ours!

I’m totally with you on feeling accomplished even with the smaller efforts and activity. It’s that feeling that keeps me going – not the running itself! :)

I just love how you cram so much into a small amount of time. (All your character meet and greets - even during the race)
It must have been fun to hang out with MillerPoppins, Fashionista, Partofyourworld and Miriam (trying to remember - I hope I got that right - sorry if I didn't.) A year or so ago we were staying at POFQ and I knew Sweetpee and her family were there also and I kept looking around for her (nope, not an axe murderer just a fan!)
Hope you have another wonderful trip and I'm patiently waiting for more reports! Thanks!

The WDWmagic meet and greets were so much fun! I sometimes wonder how many other members we may pass by while we’re there and never even know it, which is too bad.

Thank you for writing this trip report! I am interested in running the Wine & Dine half this year, and you gave a lot of great info and pictures. Congrats on finishing the race!

Thanks! And you’re welcome! You should totally do it – it’s such a fun race.

Shoot, I should have written things down! You made me laugh so many times! I love your running trip reports! Since the run is something I'm pretty sure I will never experience, I love reading about someone elses!

You do make them sound awesome.

And I'm with Kelly! Brett totally ran it under 2 hours! He stopped for character pictures and made it just over two? He did it!

Hooray for making you laugh! That’s one of my main goals anytime I include a race in my reports. There so much fun and part of the fun comes in laughing at myself.

Never say never. :D

Great report - you got that finished almost as fast as you finished the run!

Congrats to you both on another Disney medal - perpahs another Christmas tree is in order, decorated with your medals. Just a thought!

Have fun on your current trip....your cup runneth over!!

P.S. - Just gave you a little "shout out" in my report regarding Fairytale Cuvee...or lack of!!

Yes! I was so excited (and proud) to post it all at once. Too bad the actual writing of it took a couple months. :rolleyes:

I’m liking your Christmas tree idea. Looks like we’ll need to go out and get some more medals!

Oh no! No Fairytale Cuvee?! It’s a travesty. You know, I’ve had the cursor poised over the link to your trip report so many times at work and then - BAM! Work hits me over the head and makes me pay attention to it. Another couple weeks until the busy-ness lets up and then it’s game on. I’m going to be resurrecting reports left and right to read them!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Congratulations on your great finish! Even though it was tough at the end you hung in there! Way to go! 2:36 is very respectable. Congratulations to Brett too! Even though he didn't make his goal, 2:02 is awesome! And I agree with everyone else. Character stops don't count. He finished in under 2 hours

Thanks, Krista! I think it was the fact that Brett was so close to not only reaching the goal, but crushing it. He was on track to come in somewhere between 1:50-1:55. That’s what made the disappointment really creep in.

Darn you for showing me those banana waffles again. I saw them in Darolyn's report earlier this week. Ugh! I REALLY need to get me some of those waffles!!!! You guys are torturing me!! It also looks like I need to go to San Angel Inn to get some enchiladas verdes! They look totally yummy as well

Those waffles! I really need to figure out how to make that sauce. Not that it’s the same, but here’s a really good recipe for enchiladas verdes that Brett and I like.

What's this?! You might be doing a race at the 2013 marathon? We will all have to plan a get together if you do. It sounds like there may be quite a few of us down there. We are toying with the idea of doing the Goofy barring injuries and if we can stomach the race fees!

Hope you're having a good time at the world. I admit it....I am a little jealous

I’m really hoping to do either the half or the full – the Goofy would be nice but I feel like I should (legitimately) tackle the full again first. Due to other stuff going on in our lives, I probably won’t make a decision on it until later this year, which means I might be out of luck based on how quickly they fill up. Usually the full takes a while to fill out, but with it being a big year, that may not be the case this time around.

A get together would be fabulous!

Good luck training for the Goofy! You should totally do it. The fees are absolutely absurd – but still fall into the realm of “worth it” to me, especially to accomplish such a feat.

I totally love this... You rock, girl!

Congrats to both you and Brett for hitting your race goals! The two of you definitely earned those medals. That must have been the greatest feeling once you crossed the finish line knowing you have another runDisney event under your belt, and a half-marathon to boot!

Aww, thanks, Erin!! The race really did feel like a big accomplishment – much more so than the Princess last year.

*sigh* Your delicious food pictures are making me drool. Kailua pork sliders? Yes please! My wonderful husband actually got my the recent Food and Wine Festival cookbook as a Christmas present and I so need to make these things. And pairing them with a Kona Longboard is certainly the way to go. Have you tried the Wailua Wheat? Good stuff!

Great gift choice – way to go Brandon! Now, I need to go find this cookbook. Haven’t tried the Wailua Wheat, but we’ll have to put it on the list.

Ooh, nice shout out to La Hacienda. This has become one of my favorite counter service spots, especially at Epcot. When we're not at Sunshine Seasons we make sure to fuel up on the goodness that is La Hacienda.

Agreed! We all know I’m not a fan of counter service restaurants, and yet, I cannot get enough of La Hacienda!

It's so cool you got to meet up with fellow forum members. This is something I'd love to do. Hmm...you might be at the Food and Wine Festival this year? Brandon and I are trying for a week-long stay during our anniversary, which is being shared by Columbus Day this time around. Maybe we'll cross paths?

Have a great trip this weekend!

Unfortunately, we probably won’t be around for this year’s F&W, but we really need to coincide our trips at some point – we seem to have some similar approaches to the World! I hope you guys get to do a week long trip – that would be heavenly during the Festival.

Great TR! I love the title...that's one of my favorite songs from the movie

Hopefully one of these days we can meet up around WDW (and sometime before the cruise next year .

I love that movie!

Yes, we’ll have to do that! And then vouch for one another on the whole “axe murderess” debate. :lol:

Holly,

Loved the commentary during the race! Brett definitely hit his goal taking into account all the character stops and the bad leg. Very gritty of him to tough it out!- I don't think I could have done that ( or I would have limped/crawled to the finish line ).

Thanks! I’m so glad I’ve written about all of our races - I’m afraid I would’ve really forgotten how they each felt individually after doing four of them.

And congrats on your time! Looks like the training paid off. The non-DSLR pics during the race are still great and capture the atmosphere! The longest I've ever run at one time without stop is 10 miles and right now I could maybe go 5 - but your report ( and Ariel's) got me thinking about a Disney run. At the least it would give me a good excuse for an extra trip.

YES! Disney run, Disney run! You must do it. Would any of the kids be interested? That would be so much fun.

It's pretty awesome that you have a job that gets you down there so often. I'm sure I'm not the only one dripping with envy.

It’s funny because it’s just worked out that way this year, with three legitimate work reasons for a trip to the area. In the previous four years, there were only two other trips. This AP really was the Year of the Mouse for me! I feel very lucky.

Ok first things first - those medals? TO DIE FOR. You know I love me some SSE - so that medal is just calling to me. Love.

JESS! I owe you some PM’s. I’ll get there, I promise!

The medal really is bada$$. Really.

Normally I don't make notes for TRs - I figure if it was important/clever enough for me to remember to say...I'll remember it. But this I wrote down because I laughed out loud at work and it's a somber time since licensing is next week so everyone is crazy stressed. The pic of you w/the fairies at W&D. Fauna's head looks like it's detached. She's quite possibly the creepiest looking character EVER (in that pic - in Brett's she's normal). Like crazy creepy nightmare to children head tilt. But it made me laugh out loud for about 10 straight seconds so thank you for that.

I didn’t even notice Fauna’s head until looking back! That is funny. Those plastic faces really are creepy.

Jealous that you got to meet some fabulous wdwmagic ladies. Stupid PA being so far away from Florida. Sad face. Hopefully we will all meet soon! (Someone's gotta vouch for my non-axe murderer...ness.)

Maybe you’ll become a “local” at some point in the next couple years. :sohappy:

I must admit, with your love of all things Dexter, I do have my reservations about your axe murderin’ status! Just sayin’.

And you and Kenz are both on the twitter? Perhaps I should join the human race and dive in. I just got hooked on Pinterest and my work is suffering. Not really - my sanity is saved a bit, though. I will look into tackling another form of social media I suppose - for you and Kenzie...anything!

I use twitter mainly to keep up with a lot of different musicians that we like. Because they often release tour dates on twitter before they show up anywhere else. I rarely post my own musings.

Pinterest on the other hand, is the most amazing tool ever. I’ve been obsessed with it for the past year.

Aww thanks ladies :) Much love!

I've only read up to the marathon but I have to say I agree with you about the removal of some of the little things that made your vacation that much more customized and special. I miss the different resort mugs, special designs on the plastic bags for different events, special designs on tickets for events, etc.

I can't wait to read about Sunday Oct 2nd

Hi, Shelley! The lack of specialized merch and customized guides/tickets really is sad. It takes away the uniqueness of the experience.

Okay I'm caught up!

I love this picture! We should take another one in September because....I'm doing the ToT 10mi race too! I'm also doing the EE 5k in May :) I have caught the running bug!! Of course, I will be WAY behind everyone else!

You’re still planning on moving down to the area, correct?! When’s the big move? Soon you’ll be able to do all the races. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom