Let’s Get Down to Business, to Defeat… the Run: A Wine & Dine Half Marathon TR

What can I say? I’ve been more than just a little obsessed with naming my reports after Disney songs as of late!

Things have been quite crazy in our lives since the last trip report was posted. We spent the better parts of October and November house hunting and then found our “dream” home just before Thanksgiving. Our fabulous realtor got us in to see it the very same day and we put an offer on it that night! Crazy, I know. But smart because it turned out that multiple other offers came in the very next day. We took another Disney trip over Thanksgiving and then upon returning, we closed on our house. Moved in right before Christmas and we’ve spent the last month trying to get situated. All excuses for why this trip report is incredibly late and also the reason why I’ve been MIA on the trip report forum as of late. Not only do I need to get my reports posted, but I need to catch up on so many of your fabulous reports, as well – my apologies, as I’ve been reading, but not responding!

So on to this trip report…

When: September 29th – October 3rd
Where: Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
Why: Wine & Dine Half Marathon
Who: Mr. and Mrs. Hollybelle

marathon_finisher_asi.jpg

Yep, that’s us, after miraculously surviving the 2009 marathon - all the gory details here: Going the Distance from Mile 1 to 26.2!

Let’s back up a bit – like, to the middle of last year. :lol: June 2011 rolled around and I started getting the bug to do another Disney race. It hit me that we had participated in Disney races in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Surely we couldn’t let 2011 go by without lacing up the running shoes. There was only one rule – NO half-a$$ training. For real, this time. We both vowed to find a training schedule and stick to it like white on rice.

This time around it was about so much more than finishing the race. You see, we managed to accomplish that when we finished the Princess Half on no more than a couple of two or three mile runs – I won’t even pretend to call those training runs. And if I’m being honest, finishing that race didn’t really feel like much of an accomplishment because I knew so much more could have been accomplished if I’d only put forth the effort. No, the purpose of this race was not to finish it, but to train for it. The battle was not fought on the day of the race, but in the three months prior to it. For me, it was about goal setting and follow-through. For Brett it was about redemption. He claimed that this was a “business” trip... and he meant it.

With that we spent the month of July building up a base with some short 2-3 mile runs around the neighborhood. At the beginning of August we scoped out a local park/trail to do our long runs on and we found a very basic training plan that required a total of three runs per week over the course of eight weeks. Why did we choose a training schedule with a mere three runs per week? Because we don’t like to run. :eek: :lol: No really, I found that while training for the 2009 Marathon, I burned out long before I reached the halfway point in my training – and I attribute it in part to the fact that I was running five days a week.

The most basic of training schedules: http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

I’m proud to say we didn’t miss a single run, and believe me when I tell you that there were quite a few days when I really, really, did not want to suit up and hit the pavement. I feel like I’m constantly reading about people who love to run – folks who are itching to get outside and lose themselves in the steady rhythm of a good run. As much as I may wish it to be true - that is NOT me. And that’s okay. Throughout this experience, I found that what got me out the door was dedication to my goal, not the lure of the run itself. Don't get me wrong, the endorphin high that came after finishing a difficult run was addicting, but not the run itself.

A bit more specificity about our goals – Brett’s redemption goal was a two-hour finish time. Aside from not missing a training run, mine was to simply run all 13.1 miles (no walking) with the hopes of coming in under two and a half hours. From the very beginning, we split up. We went out to do our runs at the same time each day, but unlike all our runs of the past, we didn’t run together. Instead, we found ourselves passing by one another, high fiving, as we each moved along to our own beat. This allowed Brett to move at a more challenging pace, and it allowed me to find my own personal motivation to keep going.

Unfortunately, when he was about 5 miles into our last long run, a piercing pain shot up Brett’s calf. I remember coming around the edge of the running path to grab a gel at mile 4, only to find Brett leaning against the car, looking a bit distraught. He did the smart thing and bailed on the run. I offered to stop with him, but he wouldn’t hear of it. So he spent the time stretching at a picnic table while I finished the final 6 miles of my last long run. He put in a solid two miles for our last easy run the Tuesday before departure and we both hoped upon hope that all his prior training would be enough to carry him through race day.

An instagram Brett snapped as he waited for me to finish a long run – I’m not sure what it is about this picture, but I love it. It reminds me of all our training:

IMG_0086.jpg

With that, it was time to put our training to the test, and get down to business... Shang-style! :lol:

Shang.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
A Hollybelle trip report from when I was there yay!!!!!! haha

Lots of things to comment on here we go:

Dr. Facilier totally agree with you he was a great villain to meet!!!! He has become one of my favorite villains even though I wasn't a huge fan of the Princess and the Frog.

I believe there may just be a photo coming up that’s been posted in two trip reports already. Mine’s more than just a little delayed. :lol:

Jealous about your meet with Gaston! When I met him that weekend at MNSSHP he was sweating buckets and you could tell it was affecting him and wasn't into character as much as your Gaston seemed! But he wasn't bad by any means! Just no classic one-liners

Aww man. I’m sad to hear that your Gaston didn’t deliver. Maybe he’ll be waiting for you at his tavern when it opens!

And I love that instagram app! I wish they had it for Android phones oh well.

And I looooooove all your pictures! Especially the ones in DHS. Simply Amazing.

Can't wait to hear about the race! Looking forward to the ToT run in September, struggling with training, but trying to keep my eyes on the goal!

I heart instagram! Like, with my whole heart. I’ve been bitten by the bug myself since getting my phone over Christmas. I didn’t realize it was an iPhone only app. Maybe they’ll expand it.

My advice in training for the 10-miler this early is not to burn yourself out too quickly. A nice steady base is all you need for the next couple months. Then you can tack on a “training plan” as you get closer to the event.

Hey stranger! Love the title, very punny indeed.

It's awesome how you guys were determined to stick to your running goals, very admirable I must say. After reading all the marathon reports I have gained a higher respect for those who run. Bravo to you!

Why, hello there, friend! Hooray for FINALLY sticking to our running goals. :)

That's a shame that you and Brett had a less than stellar time at MNSSHP but I completely understand what you mean about having an off day. But OMG it must have been worth it to meet Gaston! I loved your semi-candid shots of him and the Tremains. I really hope he gets that meet and greet spot in New Fantasyland I know I'd stop in!

Count my vote for October being the best/my favorite time of year to go. I can't wait to hang around the Food & Wine Festival again.

It totally was – Gaston has been on my character wish list for years! So glad he didn’t disappoint.

And yeah… October at Epcot makes me swoon.

Woo-hoo! I've been waiting for this report to appear....this is one of the races Chrissy and I are considering for our first Disney race! Great so far....although I should be working on continuing my report rather than reading! Oh well....reading is easier than writing/posting!

Looking forward to hearing about the race!

(and congrats on the new house! )

Isn’t that the truth! I always say, I’m going to go back and comment on this, and this, and this… and then I keep on reading and don’t go back. I hate doing that to others – especially when people are so kind to write in on my reports. Speaking of… you’ve got a report up I need to go check in on. :animwink:

The new house is wonderful – thanks!

Wooooo! Yay for home ownership!!! That's super exciting! It's like, you're a grown up! lol Married and a new house? Big year for the Hollybelles!

Definitely a big year for the Hollybelle’s! Hooray.

I can't believe you met Gaston!!! When my friend Lauren and I were there (3 weeks ago now), I realized we hadn't done any M&Gs. I said to her that if Gaston were there, I totally would have waited in line and I'm sure he would have been super fun. Oh, I hope they work him in as a regular!! Esp when the FLE is finished! I love, love the villains and the last time I saw BatB at DHS, Gaston was hysterical. Crossing my fingers!

Can't wait to hear how the race goes!

Gaston is made of awesome. I mean, really, every decision he makes as a villain stems from his own vanity – I love that.

Yay! So happy to read another race report from you ! Love your report title! I totally hear you about having to have goal to keep the running thing happening. I like running when I am out there doing it, but getting out and starting is sometimes tough! I always have to commit to a big race (be it Disney or closer to home) to keep me motivated. After I am done a long race, I have to be signed up or have the next one in mind. Looking forward to the rest of the report!

Thanks, Krista! Speaking of, yours is another report I’ve been reading and not responding to. Boo to me! Yes… I’m totally with you on having to have a race in the works to keep myself motivated. Right now, I’m trying to figure out what that next one may be.

Huzzah! Glad to see your report!

I'll echo everyone else...the title = genius. Now I'm going to have "I'll Make a Man Out of You" in my head all day...not that this is a bad thing.

For shame... I need to catch up on your report!

We’ve been singing it over here for days as I put this trip report together. :D

Way to go on the training! You didn't miss ANY runs?! Very impressive!! I'm sorry that Brett's last long run didn't go well, but I'm sure he had a good enough base at that point to carry him through. That must have been really unsettling. YOu're totally right that he did the smart thing by stopping early. And I LOVE the instagram pictures! Very cool.

Only having three runs a week definitely helped out. I missed a good bit of the cross training, but didn’t beat myself up over that part. I was just so afraid if I missed a run, then I’d spiral downhill (as I’ve done so many times in the past).

I’ve become mildly obsessed with instagram!

Thanks for the shoutout! Hooray for cruise roomies! I'm so glad Karen isn't an axe murderer...whew. Then again, I have yet to meet you in person so how do I know YOU aren't the axe murderer?!

True! You may have to worry about me. Maybe Karen can be our go-between and vouch for us both. :lol:

But in all seriousness...we will meet at Disney someday! I'm sure of it.

Maybe Marathon Weekend 2013. :lookaroun

We would've done the same thing. Just thinking about the potential crowds is making me feel a little claustrophobic. And you've got business to attend to!

Business is right. Considering how the “fan community” descended on the Magic Kingdom that day, I figure a lot of people probably don’t understand our decision. We’re just different kinda Disney lovers, I guess. Glad to see that someone else gets it.

I totally know what you mean about having an "off" day. It happens to the best of us, even in Disney. But pictures with Dr. Facilier AND Gaston?! How cool is that?? And the collection of Marios and Luigis was too funny!

Loving it so far, my friend...but honestly, CoronaRitas?!

So true – we all have to experience those off days to appreciate the myriad of fabulous ones. And yeah… Gaston and the Voodoo Man were both pretty amazing.

CoronaRitas? No, just no!

Phew! So we at least know Karen is not an axe murderer! And I'm assuming she can vouch for you?

I agree with everyone else, love the thread title! That's my favorite Mulan song!!

One less axe murderess to worry about, I guess! And hooray for Mulan love.

Your Gaston interaction, and the ones you witnessed, were completely awesome!! Wow! I hope he's around a lot more!

Loving everything so far! I'm admiring your dedication!!

Yes. Gaston was simply amazing, so I’m really hoping to see him out and about now. Plus, I noticed that his ensemble was different than the one he wears in BatB Live on Stage. So that may be another indication that they have plans for him.

Thanks, Tammy! It’s about time I amped up the dedication part with these races, eh?! :lol:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Holly!! You're baaack!!

Loving the TR and congrats on the new house! Such a big year for you and the mister

Thanks, Darolyn! 2011 has certainly treated us well.

OK, first things first.... can I just say how much I LOVE Duffy?! He's sooooo cute!! I just wanna pick him up and squeeze him!! I love his little pumkin costume! GAH! This is making me SUPER excited to see him at the Halloween party this year!!

I used to not get the Duffy love (mostly I didn’t like the way he was blatantly thrown in our faces by Disney), and yet, here I find he’s grown on me. Oh the irony – Disney worked me over yet again! :lol:

Gaston = If he weren't so good looking I'd hate him. I should hate him, cause really, he's mean... But it's hard to dislike those muscles..... yummy! I would love it if they kept him around for a M&G. He would be one of the BEST! Guys playing him could totally ham it up.

Yes, I’ve always thought Gaston would be a wonderful male counterpart to the stepsisters role. Here’s to hoping he goes far!

Abu is super cute as well but something about him... His eyes. They kind of creep me out…

I’ve never looked at him this way… but it appears you aren’t alone. :lookaroun

I agree with you on the treat bags and stuff with logos, etc. Wehn I got my AP this year, I thought they made a mistake and handed me the flimsy MYW pass instead of my AP.... Nope. AP's are the same as MYW tickets. I remember my first AP was a card like the KTTW card with my picture on it. I loved it... Now I have just a regular ol' ticket And our MVMCP tickets were print out at home. So boring.

We’ve been using APs since 2004 and they’ve always been the paper version – I never knew they were more involved. I know one year we also had the Universal APs and they had our pictures. I remember waiting through the line to get the picture taken being a hassle, and at the time I wondered if that’s why Disney didn’t do it. Hmmm..

We did MNSSHP in 2006 and that year they had party specific logos on the bags and Halloween images on the tickets. Sigh.

I just started using Instagram on my iPhone a few months ago and I love it. I spend more time than I should adding effects to my pictures.

Can't wait to read about the race!!!

What I love about instagram is catching random every day shots, that I wouldn’t normally break out my monstro camera for, and still finding a way to make them semi-artistic due to the filters.

Race coming up shortly!

YAY another Hollybelle TR. I won't lie...I was having a truly crappy morning at work and this was a nice break from that. Thank you! Haha!

So glad we can cross Karen off of the axe murderer suspect list for the cruise!

I hate crappy mornings – glad I could help even the slightest bit, Jess!

Between now and 2013 I wonder how many gals we can cross off. Hmmmm!

Loving the training stories. I also do not like to run - but that feeling afterwards is unmatched.

Happy to see villain love at MNSSHP. Meeting villains is my only reason for wanting to visit during Halloween. Can't wait to read more

So true – the endorphin high is pretty fabulous. And that sense of accomplishment.

You will love MNSSHP. We’ve gotten them all before, so we didn’t go crazy getting character shots at the villain mix and mingle, but Maleficent, the Evil Queen, Jafar, Frollo, Facilier, Hook, the Tremaine’s and Gaston were all present. Cruella may have been there too, I can’t remember.

I've been absent from the TR commenting, too. I've read some, not as much as I should....my excuses totally pale to yours. Lol!

Speaking of… I’ve owed you an email for almost a month now!

OMG! I'm right there with you! I read about all these people who love their running and wonder what's wrong with me. I like how I feel when I go on regular runs. I fully enjoy my weight being down, being able to wear my cute clothes, not feeling like a blob, and being able to sleep like a normal person. But the actual running is something I hate. It's a chore and a huge challenge just to get out the door, one I've failed miserably at since September which totally accounts for the 15 lbs I've packed back on.
I'm totally glad to know of a "runner" who dislikes the running itself because it sure makes me feel like the perpetual wannabe.

I’m happy to see my “runner” status in quotes. Seriously, that’s where it belongs! I still, after all these races, won’t call myself a runner. And I think it’s because I don’t actually enjoy the run. The way it makes me feel like I accomplished something and reaching the goal set forth are total different than being an avid fan of the running itself. It took me this long to figure that out.:lol: Maybe because leading up to all the previous races, I bailed on the actual training. And I always told myself that the reason I didn’t “like” to run was because I hadn’t grown to love it YET. After training successfully, I can confidently say that I don’t like it. But I do like the after affects and the high I get from the races.

All the things you say are so true. Honestly, the month of September was the absolute best I’ve felt about myself in as long as I can remember, and I know it had everything to do with the running and the fact that my body was really so much healthier. I’ve fallen off the wagon again, but have plans for the latter part of this year, so hopefully I’ll get back to it. I’ve found that remaining consistent is the hardest part. And you’d think all the fabulousness I was feeling from June-October would’ve kept me lacing up my running shoes, but it’s JUST SO HARD to get out the door most of the time.

Love Instagram! Why? Because non-photogs can produce awesome pics without carrying a bulky camera. Woohoooo!

Loved your Gaston meet. So fun!

Awesome that you met a Dream Girls roomie, too! Woot! The axe-murderer's reunion is gonna rock!

Okay, done with page 1. Onto page 2.

Hooray for instagram, axe-murderess reunions, and Gaston. The stuff dreams are made of!

holy cow lady! How many reports are you behind after this one? lol!

I have a Thanksgiving trip to write about still, and… confession time… I leave tomorrow for another “work” trip. :eek: :sohappy: So that’d be two!

She was wonderful! My first in-person meet and greet too haha, now I just need to get on the ball and start meeting everyone else!

Too bad it’s not easier to meet up with everyone!

Seriously, he's making jump ship from Team Beast... speaking of which, I hear the Gaston for the Once Upon a Time episode on Feb 12 is just super delicious. Oh Gaston, why must Belle choose a girly prince over you? Sigh

I feel like I missed something… I’m not familiar with this Once Upon a Time show – is it Beauty and the Beast inspired?

I forgot to mention that I agree with the costume department. As a child it pained me that we couldn't afford cool store-bought ensembles but then the best Halloween memories are the ones we got super-creative and dressed each other to the 9's. The boys have had a mixture of homemade and store-bought over the years. My personal faves are the costumes I attempted to sew (Baby Brian as a monkey gummy-gnawing on his tail & little Chandler as a blue M&M tug at a momma's heartstrings). Your shades of orange weren't lost on me either! I thought it was far more subtle but nice. In the end, my biggest MNSSHP regret was getting cool pics with Tiana & Naveen but us dressed so oddly. I wish we had that character pic with us dressed nice for the occasion.

Yeah… homemade costumes rock because they always end up being so original and creative. I know what you mean about wearing something “funky” in the character photos – I’ve felt that way about some of our past pictures from different parties.

Agreed on the Coronarita thing. I've seen this and wondered why. I'd have to be pretty sauced to enjoy that. I love Corona and can sorta consider stomaching a 'rita (I've not been the same since the Jose incident in '99). The 2 together just seems so odd & unappealing.

Yeah, what is that all about? And the presentation of it is so funny to me. Hey-yo, a corona fell into your margarita! Cheers!

You make me wish to try Nine Dragons. That's gonna be hard with me swearing off the WDW parks. Dernit. I may end up choking on some crow pie before all is said & done!

It’s hard not to drink the WDW kool-aid, isn’t it!?

Oh! Is it a sign that the cruise ship cutout looking thing at the Epcot entrance made my heart skip a beat?!?! I'm thinking the answer is yes. Lol!

I'm excited for the big race! Yaaaaay!

Not a surprise at all.. I thought the same thing when I saw it. In fact, I gave some credit to Disney for being a bit more subtle with their own “product placement” this time around. I thought of DCL immediately, and they didn’t even have to drop an anvil on me to get the point across!

That totally made me laugh! I always thought that he was too girly and he was much better looking as the Beast. That is what you look like as a prince? Turn him back, turn him back !!

True his human form could use a little time at the gym!

You'd think with how deep his voice is as the Beast, he'd look a little bit more manly, you know?? At least have some facial hair or something!

And now Holly's TR has been Beaty and the Beast hi-jacked! huzzah!

Ain’t no thing! I’m an avid Beauty and the Beast fan. Belle is certainly my favorite princess.

Ok...so I have not read but a single word and I decided to reply anyway to tell you how THRILLED I was to see this report posted! However, in the interest of time-management, I have promised myself that I will not start your report until it is completely finished...that way I can read it all the way through from start to finish. That being said, I am super duper, tippy-top excited for your report!!!

(Now back to studying the A&P of the brain...)

Thanks, Mel. Now, get back to studying the A&P of the brain, lady! Cause I’ve got the rest of this report coming right up for you! :D No, really. It’ll be right here waiting for you once you’re done being all responsible and studious!

Holly,

Always excited to see another one of your reports. Congrats on the house!

The character pics are great, but I have to agree with Derelict, Abu is a little creepy.

Looking forward to the run.

Thanks, Chris. Abu’s creepiness was lost on me until now.

It’s about time for the run!

And yes, Abu is a little creepy with the eyes. Well, and the shape of his head.

His head? His eyes? Where’s the love?! :lol: Poor Abu!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Wine & Dine Time!!

While I didn’t know how I’d feel about running a night race at Disney as opposed to the normal morning races, it was blissful not to have to wake up at dark thirty and groggily go through the motions of getting ready.

HalfMarathonMap.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

An interesting point about technology, we’ve completed three different big races, three years in a row, and each year, runDisney has utilized a different type of “tracker” for tracking our time. In 2009, we used the chips that had to be cut off our shoes at the end of the race and turned back in, in 2010 we used D-tags, which looked like wristbands and were looped around the tops of one of our shoes, and for this race the trackers were similar to the D-tags, but placed flat on the back of the bibs. B-tags? It’s just interesting to me that they keep changing them up. Although, it makes a lot of sense that they’ve nixed the chips and replaced them with something disposable.

With everything ticked off our checklist and our bibs in place, we headed off for the bus to the Wide World of Sports as the sun was setting on Music.

DSC00419.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

All racers needed to be on buses to the Wide World of Sports by 8pm that night. Being perpetually early for everything, Brett and I found ourselves boarding the event bus right around 6:45 pm. The driver waited until the bus was completely full before closing the doors and pulling away. And we were off…

DSC00421.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We arrived to a party! Seriously, there was a huge difference between the wait for the W&D and races we’ve run previously. People were actually responding to the DJ. Granted it was 7:30 in the evening, not 3:30am, so I’m sure that had a lot to do with it. It was also nice that the waiting area was in a grassy field and not a parking lot. Score a few points for the Wine & Dine!

The majority of our training had been in the prime heat and humidity of South Carolina, so the weather on race day was heavenly to us. As the sun set, the breeze picked up a bit and the temperature dropped enough for me to feel a bit cool while we were just standing around – perfect race weather, especially for that time of year!

Below are some blurry shots of the waiting area, which I believe was a practice field of some sort. See the rows and rows of port-a-lets in the background? That’s how you know you’re at a running event. :lol: Not that I have any non-Disney races to compare to, but I think Disney does a great job of planning things out and assessing the needs of their runners.

DSC00425.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

We honed in on some RVs in the corner. Ding, ding, ding… there must be characters nearby! We found both Mickey and Minnie soon after. The lines for both characters were incredibly long, but we had nothing else to do. Add to that, they went quickly because autograph books weren’t in play.

I believe Minnie was joining us from her usual stint at the Backyard BBQ. If not, I’m not quite sure I understand the cowgirl hat/apron combo:

DSC00430.jpg

Just as a point of reference, we were about midway through Mickey’s line when I took this picture looking back at Minnie’s line.

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

The DJ had so many people up and dancing that it looked a bit like a flash mob. We just found a spot in the grass to sit down and keep warm until it was time to go to our corrals.

IMG_0163-1.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Around 9:15pm they opened up the corrals and this is where Brett and I split ways. We had each submitted proofs of time from a previous marathon so that we wouldn’t have to start in the last corral. The funny thing is, the times we submitted were only a second off from one another (my foot hit the mat first), and yet, they placed me in Corral B, while placing Brett in Corral C. I had so much fun with this the whole day – getting my little digs in about how if he’d only been one second faster, then maybe he could’ve joined those of us speedier kids in B Corral. :lol: Really though, I don’t know why the corrals were split this way; the only thing I can think is that they wanted to include a certain percentage of females in each of the first few corrals. Although, I'm really not sure why that would matter.

DSC00436.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

So off I went to my corral, grabbing one last cup of water and taking the first of my PowerBar gels to prepare for the start. I offered to take a picture for two girls in front of me who just happened to be decked out in purple and orange – Clemson students! My people! I chatted with them until it was go-time and then we wished one another good luck and started inching forward in the crowd. The time passed by much more quickly than I expected, and before I knew it we were singing the National Anthem and sending Corral A off in a blaze of fireworks.

DSC00438.jpg

It was time. Time to put all this training to the test. While I wasn’t entirely nervous, I’ve got to admit, there were probably more butterflies at the start of this race than all previous races. I may have been far better trained for it, but this meant there was so much more at stake. My primary goal was to actually run the entire race, only allowing myself to walk for a few seconds as I downed some water at the hydration stops – I’m not coordinated enough to run and drink at the same time anyway. The only other things I was going to allow myself to slow down for were quick Mile Marker pictures and characters. My secondary goal was to finish under 2:30. This was more of a stretch goal – I knew it would require me to meet Goal #1 and maintain a slightly faster pace than I had become accustomed to, but that’s why the call it a stretch goal, right? The question was, could I do it?

The five minutes between corral starts passed quickly, and in what felt like mere seconds, it was my turn. “2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon, I’m going to kick your a$$.” Yep. That’s what I told myself – whatever gets you through the race, right? :lookaroun

As I crossed the starting mat, I started my Garmin and my iPod and fell into a steady rhythm. In past races, I haven’t used my iPod, but this time around it was an integral part of the experience for me. I left my Wine & Dine playlist completely in Brett’s hands (he’s a pro when it comes to creating them), and this was a lot of fun, because the music selection was a surprise for me. What better way to start the race than with Brandi Carlile’s “Dreams?!”

I was determined not to get caught up in the speed of the runners around me, but it was extremely difficult. Corral B ain’t no joke – those fools don’t mess around! :lol: In past races I’ve always started out among the walkers and had to bob and weave in the early miles to get around these folks (and then in later miles they would pass me :rolleyes:), but this certainly wasn’t the case this time around. Corral B’ers were cruising!

Approximately 5 minutes in I heard a huge bang behind me and my first thought was, “What the hell?!” Then I realized it was the fireworks for Corral C. My next thought, “Brett’s coming for me!” And that’s when my competitive spirit took over and I vowed to maintain my lead over him for as long as I possibly could. Sure, I knew it was a futile effort, based on our paces, but it was a fun challenge, nonetheless.

This is what the Wide World of Sports looks like when you’re traveling at light speed. No, really. Swear it! :lookaroun :lol:

DSC00444.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
There it is… Mile Marker 1. That felt fast!

DSC00446.jpg

Although I didn’t think it was possible, my pictures got even worse out on the course. Sigh. The Mile Marker shots were especially bad, due to the harsh lighting they had pointed at them. Oy. Brett joked that he was surprised I didn’t try to run with my DSLR. Had I known how poorly my night shots would turn out, I just may have tried it. :lol: He used his iPhone for all his shots, and they were even worse.

Shortly after the first mile, I saw something that truly excited me… characters! And not just any characters… Flora, Fauna, and Merriweather! These ladies turned out to be my favorite meet and greet along the race.

DSC00447.jpg

Moving along, I came to the second mile marker.

DSC00448.jpg

And then it was time for the Dance of the Hours! Hey-Yo… rare character love!! It’s too bad the character attendant didn’t, you know, think the Hippo wanted to be in my shot!

DSC00449.jpg

It was around this point that I started honing in on every blue shirt that passed me. Surely Brett should be coming by at any moment. Heck, he could’ve already passed me and I wouldn’t have known it. The course was a couple lanes wide out here on Osceola and packed with people. Not to mention, dark.

I looked to my right and could see the Animal Kingdom parking lot. Holy cow, this means I’ve ran up one side and back down the other of two slight overpasses. I didn’t train on hills so I figured I’d feel the change in topography even though it was slight, but I hadn’t noticed it at all. So this is what a race feels like when you’ve trained for it? :ROFLOL: Fancy that.

Before I knew it, Mile Marker 3 appeared.

DSC00450.jpg

And so did Brett! I felt a squeeze on my waist as I was winding my way into the Animal Kingdom parking lot. He caught me just before we hit the 5K split mat. Not bad! I had maintained my 5-minute lead for a little over three miles. I’ll take it. Without slowing down a beat, or speaking a word, we high fived, and he disappeared into the crowd in front of me. I was just excited that we actually crossed paths – he told me later that as he was scanning the crowd in front of him, somewhere around Mile Marker 2 he almost grabbed another chic in a fuchsia colored running top. Hah! That could’ve ended badly for him. :eek:

The turtles from SpectroMagic were doing figure 8’s in the AK parking lot – I didn’t even try to attempt a picture, but it was neat to see them. The AK entrance gates appeared before me, and so did Terk. I chose to skip the meet and greet, hoping for someone more rare up the way. The Animal Kingdom was, by far, my favorite part of this particular race. The course was lit with colorful banners and they had those big lanterns (the ones they break out for some of the special ticket parties) scattered throughout the park to shed a little extra light.

DSC00453.jpg

Yes, I believe that’s a heffalump in front of me. How she managed not to overheat in the legwarmers and toboggan is beyond me.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
They squeezed in Mile Marker 4 along the path between Africa and Asia. I didn’t even realize it at the time, but the timing clock must’ve been on the other side of the path.

DSC00456.jpg

Something I’d been looking forward to, pretty much since the start of the race, was the restroom coming up on my left in Asia. :lol: I experienced a bit of déjà vu as I entered the air-conditioned restroom, and I had to chuckle at myself. During the 2009 marathon, I made the same exact pit stop and while in there I’d rued the day I foolishly signed up for that race and swore never to run another one. And look at me now!

Back out on the course, I picked up my pace and rounded the bend in front of Expedition Everest, crossed over the bridge to Dinoland, and then ran into a backstage area behind Primeval Whirl. Pluto was doing meet and greets in his usual dino bandana at his usual park spot so I waved and ran on by, slightly disappointed that there hadn’t been any rare characters in the Animal Kingdom. It’s probably a good thing that I was so intent on the actual running this time around, because there were clearly far fewer characters (rare or not) on this course than on either the marathon or Princess half courses.

The backstage area carried us around to the open parking lot where I noticed the relay transition spot. Up until that point I hadn’t realized that the relay wasn’t an even split, with runners switching out at the 5 mile marker. It seemed pretty well set up, from my perspective anyway – the transition didn’t cause a bottleneck on the course.

Sure, you probably can’t see it, but I’d made it to Mile Marker 5:

DSC00458.jpg

Just before or just after Mile 5 (I can’t remember now) was a water stop and med tent. I’d been counting down to this particular point, but not for the reasons you may all think. No, I didn’t need my old friend, Mr. Biofreeze. In fact, when I saw my siren song this time around, I laughed in his face!! :eek: Instead, the reason I’d been counting down to this stop is so that I could unload a gel. If you’re super observant, you may have noticed that I wasn’t wearing any type of fuel belt. I have an amphipod belt that I used in previous races, but I couldn’t stand to wear it during my training runs for this race. I’m not sure why, but it no longer stayed down on my hips like it used to. I did lose a little bit of weight training for this race, so maybe that’s what it was. I tried everything, short of actually sewing it to my skirt (which I’d given serious consideration), to keep it from riding up and bouncing on my waist, but nothing worked. It got to the point where I had even contemplated running without gels, but I really didn’t want to do that. The solution I came up with was to sew a couple of slip pockets into my race day skirt. Being that it was an eleventh hour idea, the pockets weren’t added in time for a training run. I didn’t think it would be that big of a deal, but apparently, when added, the gels weighed just enough to tug down on my skirt as I ran. This resulted in me constantly having to pull up on my skirt throughout the early miles of the race. :lookaroun So, with one gel down and one to go, I was feeling better (and only tugging on one hip). :lol:

Winding out of the Animal Kingdom and back onto the quiet pavement of Osceola, I turned my iPod back on and Florence and the Machine kicked in with a little “Dog Days” action. Perfect timing. Flo is all kinds of amazing and she kept me from caring that I’d left the excitement of the park behind. Mile 6 had come and gone before I’d even realized it.

DSC00459.jpg

On my way back down Osceola the inclines didn’t go unnoticed. :) I felt the burn in my quads a bit, but overall I was still feeling great. There was a band set up around here somewhere, and some Adam Levine wannabe was drowning out my precious Ryan Adams. But I didn’t care, I was in the zone, feeling empowered, and telling myself “I own this run!”

DSC00461.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Up ahead, just before a hard left and the overpass that leads down to the Studios, I caught sight of the fireflies from SpectroMagic. While I wouldn’t technically consider them characters, I stopped anyway. It was becoming more and more apparent that characters weren’t aplenty on this race, so I wanted to gather up any shots I could. That and I wanted 20 seconds of respite from the run. :lol:

DSC00462.jpg

The banked incline that goes over the Studios main entrance is deceptively steep. But I prevailed and didn’t drop my pace. Coming down the other side of the ramp I was feeling great. Mile 8 was up ahead and I made a mental note that I would indeed finish this race without walking. And with that commitment, Elizabeth and the Catapult came on my iPod and challenged me with “Race You.”

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

It was around Mile 9 that I hit a bit of a wall. I swear, I went from “I own this run!” to “Sweet baby Jesus, is it over yet?!” in approximately 2.7 seconds. :lookaroun :) We were in the Studios now and the park was bound and determined to kick my a$$. From the dimly lit brick pathway in front of the Tower of Terror to the narrow backstage alleyways, and all the twists and turns and 90 degree angles in between, I was simply wishing for it to be over. In fact, I think DHS may have actually been my least favorite part of the entire course. Osceola was even more enjoyable for me. I took another gel at the next water stop and settled in for the rest of the race.

I saw the official race photographers on Sunset Boulevard, so I mustered up the energy to mug for the cameras, but to no avail. When I looked at the pictures after the race, there were hardly any with me in them. Booo.

I was seriously contemplating throwing my “no walking” policy out the window when I came around the corner into the Animation Courtyard and saw Buzz Lightyear up ahead in front of the TSMM entrance. Cue the angels, or rather, intergalactic heroes! Buzz was a beacon of freakin’ light if ever I’ve seen one. Unfortunately, the stop took a mere 30 seconds, if that. There was no line! And, oh, how I was wishing for a line to wait in. :cry: :lol: But that 30 seconds was enough to make me realize I would’ve wanted to kill myself later if I had chosen (operative word) to break down and walk, especially with less than 4 miles ahead of me.

All systems a go, Space Ranger!

DSC00466.jpg

The course wound out of the park and into a backstage area where I came across Mile Marker 10. When I saw it, all I could think about was whether or not Brett had met his goal and made it to the finish line in less than two hours. Of course, at that time my brain wasn’t factoring in his 10-minute delay at the start – so it was unlikely he was there yet. He still had another eight minutes to reach his goal. At the time though, I sent up a wish that he had made it safely and had already been adorned with his medal.

DSC00467.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Shortly after the tenth Mile Marker and a pass through the Backlot Tour, I found Carl Frederickson. The man was hanging out on a side street all by himself. He kept making like he was trying to cross the “road.” :lol: I stopped and as you can see in this shot, the race was apparently taking it's toll on me - I'm a mess.

DSC00468.jpg

We ran through the Backlot Tunnel and out into the LMA set, where Lightning McQueen was revving his engine. Then we rounded the corner to the Streets of America. I tried to snap a picture while I was running and managed this:

DSC00469.jpg

I wonder if the girl in the bottom left was the one Brett thought was me earlier in the race. I mean, our tanks were an exact match and she was also wearing a black skirt. You never know.

At this point, I was beyond sick of Hollywood, and all I wanted was to get out of the convoluted maze that the Studios had become. The course wrapped up past Tatooine Traders where I stopped for my last character of the race… Darth Vader. A few people around me were geeking out, and I was pretty much thinking, “meh.” :lol: Let’s just say, I was not impressed with the character turnout for this race, rare or otherwise. This in no way hindered my enjoyment of the event, because my goals and approach were different than they’ve been in previous races. But I mention this as a warning to anyone who is considering participating in a runDisney event in the future - if you’re all about the characters, then I highly suggest choosing one of the morning races.

DSC00470.jpg

DSC00471.jpg

After meeting Vader, who had the longest line I’d experienced that night, which is to say that he actually had a line (maybe 3 people deep), I made my way into yet another backstage area where Mile Marker 11 was waiting. This area connected back to the front of the park, where we ran past the Crossroads entry tower and into another backstage area that finally led us out to the front of the park and the walkway to the Boardwalk. Hooray… I made it out alive! And with that, I felt like I could breath again. I felt a surge as the crowd around me began to really pick up the pace. I found that much needed second wind, and made my way home.

The Mile 12 Marker was situated at the end of the pathway, right before it opens up to the Boardwalk.

DSC00472.jpg

I came up onto the Boardwalk just as “Standing in Motion” hit my iPod. Very apropos. Take me to Epcot, baby!

Just after passing Mile Marker 13, I picked it up to a “sprint” and finished strong. Huzzah!

DSC00473.jpg

I met my primary goal, which was to run from start to finish. And while I’d missed my secondary goal by 6 minutes, I wasn’t too discouraged by this, as I knew it was a real stretch anyway. In fact, truth be told, I was closer to it than I thought I’d be. Overall, I was pleased with the experience and really felt like I’d accomplished what I set out to do – and that was to put in the diligence and train fully.

The finish line of the race was in the bus pick up area to the right of the Epcot entrance. After I crossed the mat, I rounded the corner, bypassed the official finish line photo booths, skipped past the med tent :animwink:, and grabbed a bottle of water from the food stop. I was about to make my way into the crowd and fight my way to the park entrance, when I saw Brett waving to me from the edge of the runner’s area. Hooray! We had plans of meeting up at the mirrored base of Spaceship Earth, but luckily he was standing by, waiting for me.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I was anxious to hear about his race and share our experiences. Unfortunately, he’d missed his goal by two minutes. 120 seconds. His finish time was 2:02. And he was definitely disheartened by this. Mostly because he said he had been cruising along, making excellent time, and on pace to crush his goal right up until he met Darth Vader... and that’s where his calf blew up on him again. To the point where he had to walk the majority of the route back to Epcot. He really shouldn’t have threatened the dark side – the dark side always wins. :lol: I think he mustered up the strength to run across the finish line, but in the video (which is long gone now since we didn’t purchase it), you could tell he was in some serious pain.

A couple pictures from Brett’s race:

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0175-1.jpg

I’ll spare you the rest of them because they really are that bad. Something interesting to note, Brett stopped at every possible character stop, with the exception of one, and that amounted to seven pictures. That’s right, just seven. It would’ve been eight if you count the Green Army Man that was giving orders on the road leading into the Studios. So, my advice to anyone wanting to participate in a runDisney event for the characters, is to choose one of the morning races. Based on what I’ve read about the now defunct Tower of Terror 13K, they didn’t have many characters either.

Still in the runner area, I sat down and stretched in the grass, texted my parents to let them know I’d survived just in case the event texts hadn’t gone through, and then Brett and I made our way towards the Epcot entrance.

DSC00475.jpg

To get there, we were funneled through the pickup line for our free drinks. This was a complete joke – I had foolishly thought that the “free” drink voucher attached to our bibs was meant to be used for a drink at one of the kiosks. Oh no, the choices were a can of Budweiser, a can of Bud Light, or a canned Coke product. Whaaaaaaa? Talk about a letdown.

DSC00478.jpg

Brett wasted our Bud Light’s pretty quickly (it was probably akin to rehydrating with water), and then we made our way towards the Land. Getting into Epcot proved a bit frustrating. We had somehow missed the runner entrance and walked over to the center gates, where they directed us back over to the far right where all the runners were entering the park. There was a mob of people who appeared to be waiting around looking for their loved ones. A couple guys, who were quite obviously housed, kept shouting out things like “Welcome to the After Party – You’re late,” “What took you so long?” and “Where you been, we’ve already been around the world.” Clearly.

When we stopped at more than one of the kiosks the next day, the CMs saw our medals and commented to us how crazy it was the previous evening. My guess is the "guests" of the runners really took the party part to heart.

We had grand plans for the After Party, but didn’t make it too far. Surprise! We stopped in the Character Spot to meet Chip and Dale (another poor picture), and then we hit up Soarin’ and The Seas.

DSC00483.jpg

Neither one of us was all that hungry so we decided to bypass World Showcase and hit up the kiosks the next day when we’d be more apt to enjoy the food. Plus, I hadn’t brought anything to change into and the air had turned quite chilly now that my body had cooled down. So we headed back out to the front of the park in search of the buses. It was about this time when we started wondering where the buses may be. After all, the finish line was set up at the bus corral, so they couldn’t be there. We finally found a CM who seemed to know what she was talking about. She asked if we’d like to walk or take a tram to the buses, to which Brett looked at her like it was the most absurd question ever, and replied quite quickly and matter-of-factly, “I WILL be taking the tram.” :ROFLOL:

The tram took us way out to the Wonder lot, where there were rows and rows of buses for us to board. We climbed aboard and were back at the All-Stars around 2:45am. Curse you Country Boots for being in the very back of the resort. We each showered and crashed into bed sometime before 3:30am.

So over all... the Wine and Dine was fabulous and I would definitely recommend it - but I would probably place the Princess and the January Marathon Weekend events ahead of it for character turnout and overall excitement.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 4 – Sunday, October 2, 2011: Epcot/DHS

We allowed ourselves to sleep in a bit on Sunday morning, getting up around 8:45am. Usually ones to drive to the parks, we bypassed our car and headed to the buses that morning. We had drinking to do. So, off to the buses!

Oh, hello there!

IMG_0183.jpg

Seriously… this medal couldn’t be more bada$$! Disney definitely gets it right when it comes to the bling. And this one is definitely my favorite in our little collection, which has now grown to four! No worries, there will be many more gratuitous shots of the medal to come!

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

It was a gorgeous morning – the weather was perfect for perusing World Showcase. But first, some character love and a quick spin on Test Track!

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Mrs.Skellington

I am so enjoying this report. I am trying to talk my husband into running the Tower of Terror run in the fall. He is so not a runner. I ran track in school years ago and when I was in the Army :eek: but after 4 kids, I am not sure if I could even do it anymore. C25K here we come. LOL Can't wait for the rest of it but I am off to bed. Hoping it will be up for breakfast tomorrow. :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We got to World Showcase shortly before the kiosks opened and decided to start with Hawaii. Come to me, Kalua pork slider! And I’ll gladly wash you down with a Kona Longboard. This may have been my favorite, although that’s not much of a surprise considering the flavors are right up my alley, pineapple chutney and spicy mayo – yes, please!

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

While I was picking up the slider, Brett hopped over to Canada to grab the chicken chipotle sausage with polenta. Also quite tasty, but not the winner!

IMG_0487.jpg

It quickly became apparent that this was the opening weekend of the festival. Even at 11am, right when they opened, lines were growing quite rapidly at each of the kiosks. I remember festival’s in the past where they didn’t get crazy busy until early evening. Not this year!

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

We arrived in France a little after 11:00 and hopped in line to get some Coq-au-vin. While standing there fiddling with my camera settings, I looked up and saw some wedding ears coming down the bridge from England. OMG… Shelley (Fashionista007) and Jason! Hooray. I hopped out of line so quickly, without so much as a sideways glance towards Brett and went running for Shelley. We had plans to meet up at 11:30am, but were both about 20 minutes early. Hah. I love punctual people. Brett appeared with the Coq-au-vin (super delish, by the way) and some water and we bonded with Shelley and Jason over our Disney weddings.

IMG_0496.jpg

A few minutes later, Jess (partofyourworld) and her mom, Diane, joined us. They were seriously the sweetest.

IMG_0498.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Yay for the racin'! I'm totally itchin' to know if Brett and YOU made your goals! If I was a bettin' girl I'd go with yes to both.

Love the character pics along the way. What do you carry for picture-taking during a running event? A point & shoot? Do you hold it in your hand?

And I've often wondered about the running belt things. I just can't imagine having anything around my waist let alone the thought of anything bouncing around my waist. Ya know?

Can't wait for more! You and your cliff-hangers! :sohappy:

tiaragirl

Kenzie-love! You leave so soon, don't you?! I vaguely recall reading your pre-trip report - ack... I need to start posting when I read.
Yess, we passed the 3 week mark on Sunday - "day" count is now at 18 and it's going to fly by, so much school work to get done before we head out, it's disgusting.

I'm still sad that you won't be joining us for the cruise, and it really won't be the same without you. But maybe, there's still hope that whatever you're doing at that point in time (grad school, work, etc.), you may still be able to work it in. Fingers crossed!
I love your positive-ness, but unless I'm working (which would not be optimal as it implies I didn't get into ANY of the programs I applied for) I probably won't be going :( Masters programs are 2 years, and education is 16 months, followed by Masters.. Gah, darn that "knowledge economy thing"

Yay, you're done! The Spectro "characters" had to be my favourite of the pictures, I miss Spectro with all my heart. Congrats on finishing so close to your goal time! Impressive stufffff, Holly. If someone told me I had to run for that long, even at the Vorld, I'd probably punch them.. though Lauren wants to do one of these marathons, and Mom said she'd go to cheer her on.

For the record, your TR was the proverbial "Buzz Lightyear" at the end of a really gruelling library stint wherein I read 120 textbook pages of Industrial-Organizational Psychology.. Justin is just finishing up his midterm prep and looking at me in the "it's 10:30, why are you so happy all of the sudden" ways that BFFs do when they know that you hate your life.

Sadddd for Brett, his poor leg! But he's so lucky that he made it as far as he did - I feel like you wouldn't have let him live down by-passing him after the Corral B comments..

SSE + medals + Holly and Brett = cutest picture.

PS: WHERE ARE THE MIRROR PICS? I expect so much more from you...

PPS: I'm glad your skirt didn't fall down, because that would have been embarrassing for you. :)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Eventually, Brett and I said our goodbyes and headed off in search of more food. The previous night’s run was starting to take its toll. And I think we were both turning into hungry bears! As evidenced in the total lack of pictures of anything but food, and words describing food. :lol: In Portugal, we grabbed the calamari salad with fennel. This ended up being both our least favorite “tastes” around the World that day. It was a bit heavy handed on the paprika and the calamari had an almost rubbery taste to it. Probably due to being served en masse.

IMG_0502.jpg

In New Zealand we picked up the seared sea scallop. It was alright, but again, a scallop is not the type of food item that can sit for too long without losing its balance. This is something we need to remember for future festivals. Some items are a better fit for catering events. Take the pork slider for instance – something like that can actually benefit from resting. Scallops on the other hand, do not.

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

In Singapore, it was time to indulge in a shrimp cake - a surprising hit for us.

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

Oh, hi, Spaceship Earth!

IMG_0512.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Next up was Italy, where we tried the baked ravioli. It was good, but a little too heavy for the warm weather.

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

We couldn’t pass up Germany without a round of beer, now, could we?!

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

We got the first beer flight, which had a Roog on the menu that Brett was looking to try. And it was delicious. We sat down at one of the picnic tables they had in the area and chatted with another couple about the race, while enjoying our beers. That's "great afternoon" material, right there!

Left to right: Roog, Weizen, Pilsner.

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Oh! I didn't have to wait long at all!

Well I personally think the character stops don't count so Brett should subtract at least 3 minutes from his finish time to compensate. Just sayin'. :D

That IS some serious bling-age! Awesome! Congrats to both of you for your accomplishments!

Big tootin' YAAAYYY for another axe-murderer meet-up! Good stuff! :wave:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
At the South Africa kiosk, we picked up the filet of beef. Again, we weren’t utilizing our “some foods rest better than others” approach. The beef was definitely overdone for two people who like their steaks rare. And the smashed sweet potatoes were just so-so.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

In Norway, we took a break from the food and went back, back, over de falls…

IMG_0533.jpg

And we picked up a character for our tree… Viking Donald Duck. Although, I prefer to call him Thor!

IMG_0543.jpg

All this eating, and we were both still incredibly hungry by the time we got around to Mexico. Our bodies were begging to be replenished with a full meal and not just little tastes here and there, so we stopped in at La Hacienda for a proper lunch around 1pm.

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

At last, it was time for my celebratory margarita! Oh, happy day!

IMG_0189-1.jpg

And props to my margarita-maker for recognizing how important the salt is!
IMG_0540.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom