Let’s Get Down to Business, to Defeat… the Run: A Wine & Dine Half Marathon TR

What can I say? I’ve been more than just a little obsessed with naming my reports after Disney songs as of late!

Things have been quite crazy in our lives since the last trip report was posted. We spent the better parts of October and November house hunting and then found our “dream” home just before Thanksgiving. Our fabulous realtor got us in to see it the very same day and we put an offer on it that night! Crazy, I know. But smart because it turned out that multiple other offers came in the very next day. We took another Disney trip over Thanksgiving and then upon returning, we closed on our house. Moved in right before Christmas and we’ve spent the last month trying to get situated. All excuses for why this trip report is incredibly late and also the reason why I’ve been MIA on the trip report forum as of late. Not only do I need to get my reports posted, but I need to catch up on so many of your fabulous reports, as well – my apologies, as I’ve been reading, but not responding!

So on to this trip report…

When: September 29th – October 3rd
Where: Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
Why: Wine & Dine Half Marathon
Who: Mr. and Mrs. Hollybelle

marathon_finisher_asi.jpg

Yep, that’s us, after miraculously surviving the 2009 marathon - all the gory details here: Going the Distance from Mile 1 to 26.2!

Let’s back up a bit – like, to the middle of last year. :lol: June 2011 rolled around and I started getting the bug to do another Disney race. It hit me that we had participated in Disney races in 2008, 2009, and 2010. Surely we couldn’t let 2011 go by without lacing up the running shoes. There was only one rule – NO half-a$$ training. For real, this time. We both vowed to find a training schedule and stick to it like white on rice.

This time around it was about so much more than finishing the race. You see, we managed to accomplish that when we finished the Princess Half on no more than a couple of two or three mile runs – I won’t even pretend to call those training runs. And if I’m being honest, finishing that race didn’t really feel like much of an accomplishment because I knew so much more could have been accomplished if I’d only put forth the effort. No, the purpose of this race was not to finish it, but to train for it. The battle was not fought on the day of the race, but in the three months prior to it. For me, it was about goal setting and follow-through. For Brett it was about redemption. He claimed that this was a “business” trip... and he meant it.

With that we spent the month of July building up a base with some short 2-3 mile runs around the neighborhood. At the beginning of August we scoped out a local park/trail to do our long runs on and we found a very basic training plan that required a total of three runs per week over the course of eight weeks. Why did we choose a training schedule with a mere three runs per week? Because we don’t like to run. :eek: :lol: No really, I found that while training for the 2009 Marathon, I burned out long before I reached the halfway point in my training – and I attribute it in part to the fact that I was running five days a week.

The most basic of training schedules: http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

I’m proud to say we didn’t miss a single run, and believe me when I tell you that there were quite a few days when I really, really, did not want to suit up and hit the pavement. I feel like I’m constantly reading about people who love to run – folks who are itching to get outside and lose themselves in the steady rhythm of a good run. As much as I may wish it to be true - that is NOT me. And that’s okay. Throughout this experience, I found that what got me out the door was dedication to my goal, not the lure of the run itself. Don't get me wrong, the endorphin high that came after finishing a difficult run was addicting, but not the run itself.

A bit more specificity about our goals – Brett’s redemption goal was a two-hour finish time. Aside from not missing a training run, mine was to simply run all 13.1 miles (no walking) with the hopes of coming in under two and a half hours. From the very beginning, we split up. We went out to do our runs at the same time each day, but unlike all our runs of the past, we didn’t run together. Instead, we found ourselves passing by one another, high fiving, as we each moved along to our own beat. This allowed Brett to move at a more challenging pace, and it allowed me to find my own personal motivation to keep going.

Unfortunately, when he was about 5 miles into our last long run, a piercing pain shot up Brett’s calf. I remember coming around the edge of the running path to grab a gel at mile 4, only to find Brett leaning against the car, looking a bit distraught. He did the smart thing and bailed on the run. I offered to stop with him, but he wouldn’t hear of it. So he spent the time stretching at a picnic table while I finished the final 6 miles of my last long run. He put in a solid two miles for our last easy run the Tuesday before departure and we both hoped upon hope that all his prior training would be enough to carry him through race day.

An instagram Brett snapped as he waited for me to finish a long run – I’m not sure what it is about this picture, but I love it. It reminds me of all our training:

IMG_0086.jpg

With that, it was time to put our training to the test, and get down to business... Shang-style! :lol:

Shang.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Here’s Brett, taking some time to instagram the glorious Spaceship Earth, before our meal arrived:

IMG_0423.jpg

Huzzah!

IMG_0424.jpg

The restaurant was a cool and quiet respite from the crowds outside and it allowed us an opportunity to get off our feet – it couldn’t have been more perfect. A lot of what I had read about preparing for a night race pertained more to food intake on the day of the race than it did to activity level. While we had done all our short runs in the evenings, we had always knocked out the long runs in the morning, so I was a bit concerned about how this would affect us on race day. Throughout training we found that I’m actually better off running on a slightly empty stomach, whereas Brett needs the food to fuel him through his run. So we tried to plan a bigger lunch with a lighter dinner – and we made sure that each of these meals were ones we’d had on numerous occasions. Training/Racing 101: don’t try anything on race day you haven’t already put to the test during a training run. Well, seeing as how we hadn’t put an evening long run to the test like we should’ve done, we figured we could at least avoid shocking our systems with new foods.

For the taste buds, I present to you Nine Dragons’ Honey Sesame Chicken, with a little Kung Pao Chicken in the background for good measure:

IMG_0427.jpg

After lunch we made our way back to the car. It took some discipline to stay out of the parks, but we weren’t about to jeopardize our race – after all this was a business trip! Buh-bye Spaceship Earth, we’ll see you at the finish line tonight!

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Back at the Country Boots we pulled the drapes and settled in for some college football and a nice long nap. When we awoke, we made a quick trek over to Downtown Disney to pick up some sandwiches at the Earl. Om Nom Nom!

IMG_0149.jpg

And then it was back to the All-Stars to suit up. :sohappy:

UP NEXT: Race time!!

enchanted_belle

For the first time, I'll actually be able to read a Holly TR from start to finish WHILE it's happening! This is so amazing to me haha.
I adore Beaches & Cream, and I’m hoping that Tim and Karen enjoyed it, as well. This was their first visit. From the moment we met up, we started jabbering away… and didn’t stop until we split ways. So much so, that I didn’t take many pictures during lunch. :eek: I know, right?!
Shelley and I just did the EXACT same thing over the weekend when we met in Baltimore... two hours afterwards, it appeared on twitter "Crap, we forgot to do a picture!"

:eek::eek: He is DREAMY looking. Oh Gaston, seriously, where HAVE you been all of our lives? :slurp:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Heyyyy pretty girl, I'm sad you didn't seem to have the best luck with runDisney merch or MNSSHP, but your pictures of both made me smile (a small consolation, I'm sure). Also, your Halloween colours did not go unnoticed - definitely a good second option to costumes, don't fret!

I wish I was in a room with you and Karen =( Still bemoaning my lack of availability for that cruise, whein!

The Gaston stories/pictures are making me swoon.. what a guy. Definitely can't wait to get some Fantasyland action going on - I would not mind waiting in a long line for that meet and greet! And Lauren would just die.. he's her boii.

Very proud of you guys for your running goals! I'm a terrible runner, but I have a lot of respect for people who A) love it or B) do it despite the fact that it's not their favourite thing. I can't wait to hear how the race went =)

Can I just say: fabulous, fabulous thread title.. second Mulan thing I saw today, I really need to watch that movie before the cruise.

Kenzie-love! You leave so soon, don't you?! I vaguely recall reading your pre-trip report - ack... I need to start posting when I read.

Credit goes to Brett for this particular trip report title - it was all him. And Mulan = awesomesauce.

Gaston... there are no words for the level of swoonworthiness that he brings. Just sayin'!

I'm pretty much a terrible runner, too. I've learned that without an overarching goal, I won't keep to a consistent running schedule. I do love the feeling that I get AFTER a run - during it... not so much. :lol:

I'm still sad that you won't be joining us for the cruise, and it really won't be the same without you. But maybe, there's still hope that whatever you're doing at that point in time (grad school, work, etc.), you may still be able to work it in. Fingers crossed!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
For the first time, I'll actually be able to read a Holly TR from start to finish WHILE it's happening! This is so amazing to me haha.

Hooray! And I plan to make it quick - I hope to have the whole report posted by tomorrow night! It's fully written already.

Shelley and I just did the EXACT same thing over the weekend when we met in Baltimore... two hours afterwards, it appeared on twitter "Crap, we forgot to do a picture!"

How fun... a Disney meet and greet in Baltimore. Isn't Shelley the most fabulous!? Love her.

:eek::eek: He is DREAMY looking. Oh Gaston, seriously, where HAVE you been all of our lives? :slurp:

I know, right. He's the stuff dreams are made of - dreams, I tell you!

PartOfYourWorld

A Hollybelle trip report from when I was there yay!!!!!! :sohappy: haha

Lots of things to comment on here we go:

Dr. Facilier totally agree with you he was a great villain to meet!!!! He has become one of my favorite villains even though I wasn't a huge fan of the Princess and the Frog.

Jealous about your meet with Gaston! When I met him that weekend at MNSSHP he was sweating buckets and you could tell it was affecting him and wasn't into character as much as your Gaston seemed! But he wasn't bad by any means! Just no classic one-liners :(

And I love that instagram app! I wish they had it for Android phones :( oh well.

And I looooooove all your pictures! Especially the ones in DHS. Simply Amazing.

Can't wait to hear about the race! Looking forward to the ToT run in September, struggling with training, but trying to keep my eyes on the goal!

diddy_mouse

Hey stranger! :wave: Love the title, very punny indeed. :D

It's awesome how you guys were determined to stick to your running goals, very admirable I must say. After reading all the marathon reports I have gained a higher respect for those who run. Bravo to you!

That's a shame that you and Brett had a less than stellar time at MNSSHP but I completely understand what you mean about having an off day. But OMG it must have been worth it to meet Gaston! I loved your semi-candid shots of him and the Tremains. I really hope he gets that meet and greet spot in New Fantasyland I know I'd stop in!

Count my vote for October being the best/my favorite time of year to go. I can't wait to hang around the Food & Wine Festival again. :slurp:

DisneyFan1003

Woo-hoo! I've been waiting for this report to appear....this is one of the races Chrissy and I are considering for our first Disney race! Great so far....although I should be working on continuing my report rather than reading! Oh well....reading is easier than writing/posting! :ROFLOL:

Looking forward to hearing about the race!

(and congrats on the new house! :sohappy:)

HopLow

Wooooo! Yay for home ownership!!! :sohappy: That's super exciting! It's like, you're a grown up! lol Married and a new house? Big year for the Hollybelles! :)

I can't believe you met Gaston!!! When my friend Lauren and I were there (3 weeks ago now :cry:), I realized we hadn't done any M&Gs. I said to her that if Gaston were there, I totally would have waited in line and I'm sure he would have been super fun. Oh, I hope they work him in as a regular!! Esp when the FLE is finished! I love, love the villains and the last time I saw BatB at DHS, Gaston was hysterical. Crossing my fingers!

Can't wait to hear how the race goes!

Kristia

Yay! So happy to read another race report from you :sohappy: ! Love your report title! I totally hear you about having to have goal to keep the running thing happening. I like running when I am out there doing it, but getting out and starting is sometimes tough! I always have to commit to a big race (be it Disney or closer to home) to keep me motivated. After I am done a long race, I have to be signed up or have the next one in mind. Looking forward to the rest of the report!

Ariel484

Huzzah! Glad to see your report! :D

I'll echo everyone else...the title = genius. Now I'm going to have "I'll Make a Man Out of You" in my head all day...not that this is a bad thing.

Way to go on the training! You didn't miss ANY runs?! Very impressive!! I'm sorry that Brett's last long run didn't go well, but I'm sure he had a good enough base at that point to carry him through. That must have been really unsettling. YOu're totally right that he did the smart thing by stopping early. And I LOVE the instagram pictures! Very cool.

We left Sunset Boulevard behind and headed back toward the front gates… we had a lunch date to get to! That’s right, we had plans to meet Karen (MillerPoppins) and her man, Tim, over at Beaches & Cream! I was super excited – Karen has not only become a friend through these forums, but she’s also one of my roomies for the upcoming Unofficial WDWmagic Girls Cruise! Woohoo. Shoutout to Shannon (Ariel484), our other roomie - we missed you and Will during lunch, but I can now officially vouch for Karen… she’s not an axe murderer, so we’re safe. :lookaroun :lol:

Thanks for the shoutout! :sohappy: Hooray for cruise roomies! I'm so glad Karen isn't an axe murderer...whew. Then again, I have yet to meet you in person so how do I know YOU aren't the axe murderer?! :lol: :lookaroun

But in all seriousness...we will meet at Disney someday! I'm sure of it.

...Oh, hey… did I forget to mention that this was also the weekend of the 40th?! That’s probably because, unlike everyone else in the near vicinity, we actually avoided the Magic Kingdom on October 1st. Many folks may denounce us as true Disney fans, but we just weren’t interested in fighting the crowds so early in the morning (especially the same day we needed fresh legs to carry us 13.1 miles) to stand on Main Street and listen to Disney execs give a speech. The only thing we feared is that we may be missing some random character meets, but after a little internetting we felt safe that the characters would be in original attire and they wouldn’t be doing meets with such a crowd.

Honestly, am I sorry we skipped it? No, not really. I love Disney, don’t get me wrong, but I guess I’m just a different kind of fan.

We would've done the same thing. Just thinking about the potential crowds is making me feel a little claustrophobic. And you've got business to attend to!

I totally know what you mean about having an "off" day. It happens to the best of us, even in Disney. But pictures with Dr. Facilier AND Gaston?! How cool is that?? And the collection of Marios and Luigis was too funny! :lol:

Loving it so far, my friend...but honestly, CoronaRitas?! :hurl:

Disneyfalcon

We left Sunset Boulevard behind and headed back toward the front gates… we had a lunch date to get to! That’s right, we had plans to meet Karen (MillerPoppins) and her man, Tim, over at Beaches & Cream! I was super excited – Karen has not only become a friend through these forums, but she’s also one of my roomies for the upcoming Unofficial WDWmagic Girls Cruise! Woohoo. Shoutout to Shannon (Ariel484), our other roomie - we missed you and Will during lunch, but I can now officially vouch for Karen… she’s not an axe murderer, so we’re safe. :lookaroun :lol:

Phew! So we at least know Karen is not an axe murderer! And I'm assuming she can vouch for you?:lookaroun:lol:

I agree with everyone else, love the thread title! That's my favorite Mulan song!!

Your Gaston interaction, and the ones you witnessed, were completely awesome!! Wow! I hope he's around a lot more!

Loving everything so far! I'm admiring your dedication!!

PolynesianPrincess

Holly!! You're baaack!! :wave:

Loving the TR and congrats on the new house! Such a big year for you and the mister :)

OK, first things first.... can I just say how much I LOVE Duffy?! He's sooooo cute!! I just wanna pick him up and squeeze him!! I love his little pumkin costume! GAH! This is making me SUPER excited to see him at the Halloween party this year!!

Gaston = :kiss: If he weren't so good looking I'd hate him. I should hate him, cause really, he's mean... But it's hard to dislike those muscles..... yummy! I would love it if they kept him around for a M&G. He would be one of the BEST! Guys playing him could totally ham it up.

Abu is super cute as well but something about him... His eyes. They kind of creep me out.... :lookaroun

I agree with you on the treat bags and stuff with logos, etc. Wehn I got my AP this year, I thought they made a mistake and handed me the flimsy MYW pass instead of my AP.... Nope. AP's are the same as MYW tickets. I remember my first AP was a card like the KTTW card with my picture on it. I loved it... Now I have just a regular ol' ticket :( And our MVMCP tickets were print out at home. So boring.

I just started using Instagram on my iPhone a few months ago and I love it. I spend more time than I should adding effects to my pictures.

Can't wait to read about the race!!! :sohappy:

plaz10

YAY another Hollybelle TR. I won't lie...I was having a truly crappy morning at work and this was a nice break from that. Thank you! Haha!

So glad we can cross Karen off of the axe murderer suspect list for the cruise! :lol:

Loving the training stories. I also do not like to run - but that feeling afterwards is unmatched.

Happy to see villain love at MNSSHP. Meeting villains is my only reason for wanting to visit during Halloween. Can't wait to read more

sweetpee_1993

I've been absent from the TR commenting, too. I've read some, not as much as I should....my excuses totally pale to yours. Lol!

OMG! I'm right there with you! I read about all these people who love their running and wonder what's wrong with me. I like how I feel when I go on regular runs. I fully enjoy my weight being down, being able to wear my cute clothes, not feeling like a blob, and being able to sleep like a normal person. But the actual running is something I hate. It's a chore and a huge challenge just to get out the door, one I've failed miserably at since September which totally accounts for the 15 lbs I've packed back on. :lookaroun
I'm totally glad to know of a "runner" who dislikes the running itself because it sure makes me feel like the perpetual wannabe.

Love Instagram! Why? Because non-photogs can produce awesome pics without carrying a bulky camera. Woohoooo!

Loved your Gaston meet. So fun!

Awesome that you met a Dream Girls roomie, too! Woot! The axe-murderer's reunion is gonna rock!

Okay, done with page 1. Onto page 2.

enchanted_belle

Hooray! And I plan to make it quick - I hope to have the whole report posted by tomorrow night! It's fully written already.
:eek: holy cow lady! How many reports are you behind after this one? lol!

How fun... a Disney meet and greet in Baltimore. Isn't Shelley the most fabulous!? Love her.
She was wonderful! My first in-person meet and greet too haha, now I just need to get on the ball and start meeting everyone else!

I know, right. He's the stuff dreams are made of - dreams, I tell you!
Seriously, he's making jump ship from Team Beast... speaking of which, I hear the Gaston for the Once Upon a Time episode on Feb 12 is just super delicious. :slurp: Oh Gaston, why must Belle choose a girly prince over you? Sigh :rolleyes:

sweetpee_1993

I forgot to mention that I agree with the costume department. As a child it pained me that we couldn't afford cool store-bought ensembles but then the best Halloween memories are the ones we got super-creative and dressed each other to the 9's. The boys have had a mixture of homemade and store-bought over the years. My personal faves are the costumes I attempted to sew (Baby Brian as a monkey gummy-gnawing on his tail & little Chandler as a blue M&M tug at a momma's heartstrings). Your shades of orange weren't lost on me either! I thought it was far more subtle but nice. In the end, my biggest MNSSHP regret was getting cool pics with Tiana & Naveen but us dressed so oddly. I wish we had that character pic with us dressed nice for the occasion.

Agreed on the Coronarita thing. I've seen this and wondered why. I'd have to be pretty sauced to enjoy that. I love Corona and can sorta consider stomaching a 'rita (I've not been the same since the Jose incident in '99). The 2 together just seems so odd & unappealing.

You make me wish to try Nine Dragons. That's gonna be hard with me swearing off the WDW parks. Dernit. I may end up choking on some crow pie before all is said & done!

Oh! Is it a sign that the cruise ship cutout looking thing at the Epcot entrance made my heart skip a beat?!?! I'm thinking the answer is yes. Lol!

I'm excited for the big race! Yaaaaay! :sohappy:

Kristia

Seriously, he's making jump ship from Team Beast... speaking of which, I hear the Gaston for the Once Upon a Time episode on Feb 12 is just super delicious. :slurp: Oh Gaston, why must Belle choose a girly prince over you? Sigh :rolleyes:

That totally made me laugh :lol:! I always thought that he was too girly and he was much better looking as the Beast. That is what you look like as a prince? Turn him back, turn him back !!

enchanted_belle

That totally made me laugh :lol:! I always thought that he was too girly and he was much better looking as the Beast. That is what you look like as a prince? Turn him back, turn him back !!
You'd think with how deep his voice is as the Beast, he'd look a little bit more manly, you know?? :brick: At least have some facial hair or something!

And now Holly's TR has been Beaty and the Beast hi-jacked! huzzah! :sohappy:

TakeMeThere81

Ok...so I have not read but a single word and I decided to reply anyway to tell you how THRILLED I was to see this report posted! However, in the interest of time-management, I have promised myself that I will not start your report until it is completely finished...that way I can read it all the way through from start to finish. That being said, I am super duper, tippy-top excited for your report!!!

(Now back to studying the A&P of the brain...)

fractal

Holly,

Always excited to see another one of your reports. Congrats on the house!

The character pics are great, but I have to agree with Derelict, Abu is a little creepy.

Looking forward to the run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom