Kids Thrown Out Of Disneyworld

Do you agree with Disney's decision to thow these kids out?

• Yes

Votes: 411 96.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwowner

I was speaking to a co-worker of mine who use to take his football team to WDW for many years. It was not uncommon for some teams every year to be kicked out of WDW because of fighting and other issues.

I think the difference this year is these parents called the press first before packing up to leave.

dizzney

I agree, you break a rule you pay the price,

My son just returned from a soccer tournament in Flroida where I knew the adult/teenager ratio was 1 to 4 for the teams and said he had a great time but that they were strict with behavior and curfews and I said GREAT! THe adults need to enforce the behavior with teams traveling and obviously this group of parents did not!!!

Good job Disney!

al5957

Your marching band must have been an exception to the general rule that marching bands are usually unruly and violent. I mean, with all the spit valve fights, the wet-drumstick-in-the-ear gags, and the constant humiliating taunts like, "You call that a Sousaphone?!!!" It's amazing that your band never had any physical altercations.

I would have to completely disagree with the above statement and agree with captain hank. Coming from a high school and a marching band that did three major bowl parades (fiesta, citrus, and rose bowl) we never had any issues. When we were traveling we were a representation of our school, town, and state. There was no acting out and all of the groups were on their best behavior. I think that the issue you have with Disney, from my experiences anyways, is that they let just about anyone perform. So you may not have the "best of the best" down there.

Also, before we left for the trip there would always be the talk. When we were on any type of trip representing the school off of school property the rules of the school traveled with us. If you stepped out of line or did something you were not supposed to do you knew that you would have it coming to you. Not only would one of the directors have your butt on a plane right back home but when you got home you were subject to school punishment (detention, and even suspension). I am guessing most of these little brats though were spoiled little kids with no type of parental watch in place.

Its not the kids fault, well it is, it is the chaperone's and parents fault for not setting the stage and making them aware of the consequences.

Ilovewishes

It doesn't say whether the kids were warned about their behaviour beforehand. If they had warnings but still caused trouble then Disney were right to take immediate action. And how bad was the fight? A bit of pushing and shouting is a whole different ball game from drawing blood!

And were complaints made by other guests? If it was that bad, surely there would have been?

Is "middle of the night" used for emphasis? It doesn't give a precise time, it could have been anytime, really.

On the whole, I think Disney were right. They wouldn't have just lost their temper and tossed them out. They would have had to have been pushed to the limit to do that.

Hrudey3032

well the article states that the Pop Warner organization was involved in this along with the police so you can assume that they were in agreement with Disney and that more punishment will be forthcoming for the 3 teams involved by the Pop Warner organization. i.e. banned,suspended,loss of funds and equipment.The fact is a rule was broken,the teams knew it and signed off on it.What is there to argue?:shrug: Rules are rules.

If I'm a parent of one of the good kids I would be angry with those parents who didn't discipline their kids right and allowed this thug mentallity that is so prevelant in society today.I'm 33 and if I acted this way when I was there age I'd have been whooped by my dad.Instead I bet these parents will tell their kids that Disney screwed them.I am also sure that Disney refunded them money so they could find a place to stay.

bfbulldog

Original Poster
Disney has a zero tolerance policy in place for one reason. SHEER NUMBERS. The sheer number of guests constantly coming and going on their properties at any given time dictate they can't be issuing all kinds of warnings to people, they'd need dozens of full time people on staff just to ensure that all the proper paperwork's being filed in a timely fashion.

They're a business and they give everyone who stays on property a warning already. That warning states clearly that if a member of your group misbehaves everyone's tossed. There's your one warning.

Disney's overall responsibility is to protect all the guests on their property. They shouldn't have to babysit a bunch of punks who can't control themselves. When they tossed these groups they guaranteed these people would not re-commit any bad behavior on their property. If they didn't get tossed and another brawl broke out with innocent bystanders getting hurt! What do you think the lawsuit would be??

Mystic

If they had warnings but still caused trouble then Disney were right to take immediate action. And how bad was the fight? A bit of pushing and shouting is a whole different ball game from drawing blood!

If you watch the original news clip it tells you that one of the players was sent to the hospital with a broken nose so the fight was pretty bad. Quite frankly Disney was well within their rights to kick all three teams out when they did. I totally side with Disney on this one.

I've been down there in February for the National Cheerleading Championships which was just horrible with the cheerleaders doing their cheers in the middle of the parks. I have also been down there during the start of Pop Warner week but luckily have never had any real issue mainly because when I'm there the kids are all in competition and my mom and I tend to stay at a deluxe resort so we don't have to deal with them outside the theme parks. We did run into a few teams at MK on our last trip and we were a little concerned but luckily they were very well behaved.

I'm glad to see Disney enforcing policy.

IWorkWTeeth

I agree, I agree, I agree, I agree!

My niece and I just returned from staying at All Star Sports for 3 nights and hitting the parks for a day and a half.

Between the running on the balcony's at 1:30A or later (which woke me up), the yelling or screaming from all the "fun" they were having outside on the lawn, which woke me at 2:15A the next night - or the groups of parents sitting outside their rooms, whoop'n and holler'n while drinking (which I don't mind, just be a role model ya know!). I don't understand why they were up that late anyway.
If I were ever in a competition - we were in bed by 11 at the latest for the game/competition the next day.

It wasn't all that bad - but when it did get loud or "out of hand" - if you will - it's like they had no thought that there were other people around in the hotel. I did see security throw several of the kids/children out of the pool one night for horse play. And he came back every ten minutes asking if anyone was with that particular team - and if they were - he made them get out and head back to their room.

And talk about noisey in the food court...yeeeesh. You couldn't hear yourself ask for the chicken fingers!
Any manners they do have...a large portion of them left them at home. If my parents ever found out I had acted that way while I was away from home - I sure as heck would never be able to go again (let alone sit down for a week! haha).

Disney has to draw the line somewhere - and unfortunately - it came in the middle of the night. Regardless of who/when/where it was, they broke the rules and Disney followed through! I'm glad Disney didn't back down for this one!

They were probably up when Disney kicked them out anyway.......................

I just watched the video of the news report again and have a couple of questions for the "victims" of this sudden eviction.

1) They were thrown out at 1:00AM because of a fight that occurred a "few hours earlier". What were the 14 year-olds doing out of their rooms during a chaperoned trip at 10:00PM? Were there no chaperones with them?

2) If you are chaperoning a trip of app. 80 14 year-old kids, how can you bring along your 1 or 2 year-old and effectively monitor the Pop Warner kids?

I've chaperoned many school trips during my daughters' younger school years and, as any good chaperone can tell you, it's work. It's not a paid day of fun. You are responsible for somebody else's child. You don't go back to your room and let your charges run free.

............and what is with that flower the upset mother had in her hair during her news interview? That screams "photo op" to me.

CaptainJackNO

Didja read the article? Titled
Kids Thrown Out Of Disney

It wasn't titled kids get into fight at Disney and are punished according to their contract.

It isn't a long article either. There is one quote from one parent.

"They could have handled it so much better, you know? They really could have. They could have said look you know what? Fine, you guys have to leave in the morning. Then our babies. We have one year old, two year old, three year olds, that we had to just jerk out of bed and they were just crying. You know it was just a bad scene. It was really a bad scene," said Labryanna Kubo, a parent traveling with the Hawaii team.

Doesn't say if she's a parent of one of the kids in the altercation. She isn't DRIVING since she's from Hawaii. She may have a flight that's still 5 days away and now has to find a place to stay. She can't just decide to DRIVE back home. That might not be an expense her family can handle. Didja also know that many of these people come on fund raisers as well???

The more I think about it the harder the punishment seems if the families not directly related to the incident were treated.

We can all stand behind the agreement that life at WDW during early December would be so much better without Pop Warner. Anybody that has ever been at this time will gladly tell you at least 3-4 ways the groups have made their trips less pleasant than if they didn't exist. And that's not the point. I personally would rather not go than stay at ASM again that week. But if you can't see how this is a bit much, I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

And as far as the article goes, it is a jaded article. Not there to tell the whole story. Anybody that reads a paper or watches the news that thinks they are getting a non-bias story are fooling themselves.

Sounds like we're on the same point of view here.

But as far as flaming all families. Yes. It's been the point of most of the replies on this thread.

Get over your hate for Pop Warner and look at it from another point of view.

Let's say it's MAKE-A-WISH instead. A few Make-a-Wish kids get into a fight at the parks and violate their contract terms. I'm guessing we have a TOTALLY different agruement here.

Do we then say that the families of the 30 Make-A-Wish kids that are here for a special Make-A-Wish event are then evicted. Make-A-Wish kids can fight too. Big Luke (So, was that Small Wonder or Punky Brewster or Silver Spoons, or something else entirely?) might not keep a kid from throwing down if they have their feelings hurt. Would all the other families be then expected to evacuate because of a few sour apples?

Give me a break!!! No make-a-wish kids will be involved in an altercation like this because they appreciate life and everything they have because they have gone through so much. As a former football player and coach, i will tell you what the problem is. These days, our athletes are treated as royalty. Every parent thinks their baby will be the next millionaire superstar athlete, so they treat them this way. They are allowed to do whatever they want, they glorify violence, especially in football. The parents are along for the ride because none of them have ever played the game, so they are living their life through their kids. It is ridiculous. Now, here's my take. These kids are spoiled, undisciplined brats who are rarely corrected or supervised. If I work all year, or two years, in some parents case, some even work more than two years to afford a trip to disneyworld, I should not be subjected to such garbage. If I had been in that arcade with my 3 year old when this happened, i would have demanded that disney take action or I would have left and not come back to their resorts again.
All of you people feeling, oh poor kids. Put yourself there. What if you and your child were there playing a game when this occurred? Have you ever seen fights between 14 and 15 year old boys? It is as violent as it gets. I know i coach them and teach them. I see it every single day. How many exits are there in that arcade? How cramped is it in there? What kind of safety hazard is posed by a situation like this? What if your 3 or 4 year old somehow was in the middle of two or more of these buffoons bludgening eachother? Now was Disney too harsh? Would you want to tell your child as he cries himself to sleep out of fear that night that you have to understand, we must be tolerant, we have to be concerned of whether they have somewhere to stay. My child is raised properly. We do not expose him to violence. So, this would have upset him a great deal. Forget it. MY CHILD is far more valuable than their ability to find another place. These kids should not have been in an arcade without adult supervision....IT even says so on the door entering the arcade.
So look, go somewhere else with that poor kids garbage. My child's safety is far more important than their feelings being hurt. PERIOD.
Oh P.S., Have a nice trip back home. The airport's that way.

CaptainJackNO

I agree, you break a rule you pay the price,

My son just returned from a soccer tournament in Flroida where I knew the adult/teenager ratio was 1 to 4 for the teams and said he had a great time but that they were strict with behavior and curfews and I said GREAT! THe adults need to enforce the behavior with teams traveling and obviously this group of parents did not!!!

Good job Disney!

Exactly, you have one adult per room and where those kids go, the adult goes. That's how we did it. Also, when coaching, we placed tape on the outside of every door. If the tape seal was broken, those kids were severely disciplined, not playing, calling parents to arrange for kids to go home, etc. That is how it is dealt. If i had a team of kids who i even thought they would possibly steal or fight, or even curse in front of other guests, we would stay home. My reputation and dignity are more important. You have to respect others.

pacochran

I for one and glad Disney did this. We have gone down three years at this time of year, and we usually overlap a little with the Pop Warner. Now I'm not saying all but there are quite a few of the groups who are allowed to run free and do what they want without supervision, or the chaperones just let them do what they want.

I know you get board standing in line, but there is no need for cheerleaders doing their cheers in the middle of a line at full voice. What about the other people in line?

Coree

We met friends of ours when they were in our state traveling with a high school marching band (our friends were the director and a chaperone). We happened to be with them one night as the band was arriving back at their hotel and heard the rules. The students had about an hour to unwind and then were given a curfew, at which time they had to be in their rooms. Their doors were going to be "taped" so the adults would be able to tell if anyone tried to sneak out of their room. There was also going to be an adult chaperone up all night and in the hall so if anyone needed anything an adult could be easily found. At the time, I thought the door taping was excessive and absurd. However, after reading about this incident, I applaud them for taking responsibility for their kids.

Ashitaka

From the 2007 Pop Warners Advisors Manual on their website. Clearly this isn't the first time there have been problems and this memo gave their participants fair warning before heading to WDW this year:

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

TO: [FONT=Arial,Arial]All Pop Warner Association, League & Regional Officers [/FONT]

FROM: [FONT=Arial,Arial]Jon C. Butler, Executive Director [/FONT]​

RE: Personal Responsibility [FONT=Arial,Arial]at PWLS Events/Activities [/FONT]​

DATE: [FONT=Arial,Arial]September, 2007 [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Arial]As Pop Warner’s events grow and attract more media attention, each of us has a duty to make sure that ALL of the people at those events represent Pop Warner appropriately. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]We’ve had serious behavior problems at past Pop Warner Super Bowls at WALT DISNEY WORLD®. This note gives you and your participants, young & old, players & coaches, parents & fans fair warning that such problems have not been tolerated in the past, and certainly will not be tolerated this year. Teams have been disqualified, and, in one case, sent home early at their increased expense. (all bolding mine - Aaka)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Every Pop Warner Association is accountable for its players, cheerleaders, coaches, administrators, parents and others from your area at all Regional and National events. Any incidents of unacceptable behavior from any person(s) affiliated in any way with your Association will mean: [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• A possible immediate ejection from the Pop Warner Super Bowl events and WALT DISNEY WORLD® property. The persons involved risk forfeiting hotel and other deposits. Revised Air reservations/ ticket payments will be your problem, not ours nor Disney’s. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• Possible lifetime ban from Disney World. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]• An AUTOMATIC PROHIBITION from all Regional and National events for all teams/squads from that Association for one full season. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]•Possible suspension and/or probation from coaching or administering within Pop Warner.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Each Association is responsible for those who represent it. So is each League. So is each Region. If repeated problems occur within a particular Association, League or Region, additional measures will be taken. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial]Pop Warner is a family. Let’s all act like it. If our Pop Warner family behaves well, then everyone – whether part of Pop Warner or not - will respect us. [/FONT]

Given the first sentence, "and attract more media attention," I bet Pop Warner officials are just oh so happy that these problem teams contacted the media to complain. So now instead of the organization being seen as one that promotes teamwork and sportsmanship, the public will be thinking that they are all groups of rowdy teens who brawl at arcades.

seabee1

Give me a break!!! No make-a-wish kids will be involved in an altercation like this because they appreciate life and everything they have because they have gone through so much. As a former football player and coach, i will tell you what the problem is. These days, our athletes are treated as royalty. Every parent thinks their baby will be the next millionaire superstar athlete, so they treat them this way. They are allowed to do whatever they want, they glorify violence, especially in football. The parents are along for the ride because none of them have ever played the game, so they are living their life through their kids. It is ridiculous. Now, here's my take. These kids are spoiled, undisciplined brats who are rarely corrected or supervised. If I work all year, or two years, in some parents case, some even work more than two years to afford a trip to disneyworld, I should not be subjected to such garbage. If I had been in that arcade with my 3 year old when this happened, i would have demanded that disney take action or I would have left and not come back to their resorts again.
All of you people feeling, oh poor kids. Put yourself there. What if you and your child were there playing a game when this occurred? Have you ever seen fights between 14 and 15 year old boys? It is as violent as it gets. I know i coach them and teach them. I see it every single day. How many exits are there in that arcade? How cramped is it in there? What kind of safety hazard is posed by a situation like this? What if your 3 or 4 year old somehow was in the middle of two or more of these buffoons bludgening eachother? Now was Disney too harsh? Would you want to tell your child as he cries himself to sleep out of fear that night that you have to understand, we must be tolerant, we have to be concerned of whether they have somewhere to stay. My child is raised properly. We do not expose him to violence. So, this would have upset him a great deal. Forget it. MY CHILD is far more valuable than their ability to find another place. These kids should not have been in an arcade without adult supervision....IT even says so on the door entering the arcade.
So look, go somewhere else with that poor kids garbage. My child's safety is far more important than their feelings being hurt. PERIOD.
Oh P.S., Have a nice trip back home. The airport's that way.

Thank you! I have been there when these kids were there before, and we changed our reservations this year because I couldn't deal with them again. My kids were actually afraid to stand in some lines because of these hoodlums. So MY vacation, someone who has NO affiliation to this group, was effected by them. I would love for Disney to use this situation as a way to say, "Sorry, the tourny won't be happening here next year". Yes, it is unfortunate that the innicent families were told to leave, but you have to follow the rules. I wouldn't expect them to "give a little" if my kid caused something like this. And if I was one of the innicent ones, I would definately be taking it up with those that CAUSED the problem, not Disney. You reep what you sow, and the problem we have in this country is no one is made accountable for their actions. Look at our celebraties-the people our kids look up to-absolutely disgusting. Way to go Disney, now if only others could follow suit.

sweetpee_1993

I'm also in agreement on this one. I totally applaud Disney for ousting the teams, families, everyone immediately and not waiting until morning. If having to pack up and go in the middle of the night were such an issue you should've had your behind in the bed and not starting brawls at that hour.

You come as a team, you play as a team, you suffer the consequences of poor choices as a team. If you don't like being kicked out of a hotel in the middle of the night, thank your team mates who were responsible. It is not Disney's problem. Disney didn't start or participate in violence. It's the teams' problems. It's high time children in this day and age are held responsible for their actions.

I have 2 sons ages 10 and 11. Neither play football. I do see how the little boys their ages that play are often put on pedestals by their parents and treated like royalty. Very strange. Makes me wonder what these people will be like when they become adults trying to survive in a world who cares less who they are or if they played football as a kid. I suppose mommy and daddy will be maintaining their thrones for them well into adulthood. Both of my boys have been raised to think about the things they do and the people they associate with. There is such a thing as guilt-by-association. If you know your friend is doing something wrong either talk to them about it to make it right or don't associate with it. We've been down that road already last year when DS11's friend did something bad at school and DS11 got lumped in with the punishment. He told us repeatedly he didn't do it that he was just next to the other kid when he did. I believed him but didn't intervene. I wanted him to understand that in the real world guilt-by-association is a reality. He should pay attention to what is going on around him all the time and make choices and decisions to be proactive for himself rather than let it fly because he doesn't want to be un-cool and risk being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This time it was throwing stuff. What happens when next time it's drugs or weapons or something truly significant??? What lessons will my son have to draw from if I had sheltered him?

Anytime my boys are in the public, not only without me, they know that their actions and attitudes represent who they are as individuals and who we are as a family. If they act out they know it reflects poorly upon themselves first, on us as a family, and on my DH and me as parents. By teaching the boys self respect, honor, and pride I hope that they will always strive to do their best to be their best in everything they do: deeds, relationships, tasks, sports, etc.

I have no pity for any of the teams or families who were ejected. Like I said: you raise funds as team, come as a team, play as a team, act inappropriately as a team, suffer consequences for poor choices AS A TEAM.

imamouse

We met friends of ours when they were in our state traveling with a high school marching band (our friends were the director and a chaperone). We happened to be with them one night as the band was arriving back at their hotel and heard the rules. The students had about an hour to unwind and then were given a curfew, at which time they had to be in their rooms. Their doors were going to be "taped" so the adults would be able to tell if anyone tried to sneak out of their room. There was also going to be an adult chaperone up all night and in the hall so if anyone needed anything an adult could be easily found. At the time, I thought the door taping was excessive and absurd. However, after reading about this incident, I applaud them for taking responsibility for their kids.

We taped middle school kids in their rooms, but for my son's high school band trips, the chaperones rooms were inter-mixed with the kids, but the band director always took a room directly opposite the kids rooms so that he could keep a share eye on everyone. I have a lot of respect for this band director - he demanded good behavior and nothing less was tolerated. He even had a drug sniffing dog come by to check the kids and their luggage before boarding the bus. He was pretty hard core, but successful.

I think Disney had to be pro-active. Say they just threw out the offenders...how much do you want to bet their would have been a retaliation brawl? Kids from team A going after team B because their buddies are somehow to blame for little Johhny getting kicked out or for breaking Joe's nose. I think Disney only had one choice. And lets face it the parents reaction is proof to me that they would not have done much to stop it just as the kids are not to blame for the current problem.

My daughter is a Pop Warner Cheerleader (to young to compete at Disney). As a parent I have to sign an agreement to act in a adult manner, due to problems they have had in the past with poor sportsmanship by parents. I think the parents are a big part of the problem. Parents need to set better examples for these kids and be held accountable for their children and their actions. Where were the parents when the fights broke out? Maby I'm just a prudish mom but it will be a cold day in ____ before I would allow my kid to be at an arcade unsupervised at 1 a.m. in my hometown or any other state for that matter!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom