Incredibles to replace COP?

JimboJones123

Titan A.E. (2000)
... aka Titan: After Earth (USA: promotional title)
Bartok the Magnificent (1999) (V)
Anastasia (1997)
The Pebble and the Penguin (1995)
A Troll in Central Park (1994)
Thumbelina (1994)
... aka Hans Christian Andersen's Thumbelina
Rock-A-Doodle (1991)
Dragon's Lair II: Timewarp (1991) (VG)
All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989)
The Land Before Time (1988)
An American Tail (1986)
Space Ace (1984) (VG)
Dragon's Lair (1983) (VG)
The Secret of NIMH (1982)
... aka Mrs. Brisby and the Rats of NIMH
Banjo the Woodpile Cat (1982) (TV)
The Small One (1978)

Come on. That's not unimpressive. NIMH is still one of the top 3 greatest animated films EVER. I dare anybody to challenge it's power.

CThaddeus

I liked him until right after the first "Land Before Time." Then he went all cutesy and cloying with junk like "All Dogs Go to Heaven." I haven't cared for anything he's done since...and unfortunately I've sat through them all because I keep hoping for another NIMH or Space Ace (my favorite video game as a youth).

JimboJones123

I liked him until right after the first "Land Before Time." Then he went all cutesy and cloying with junk like "All Dogs Go to Heaven." I haven't cared for anything he's done since...and unfortunately I've sat through them all because I keep hoping for another NIMH or Space Ace (my favorite video game as a youth).

I had a really hard time watching Nimh with my 3 and 5 year old girls a few weeks back. I think we talked more in that movie about what was going on than ANY previous movie. It still holds up AWESOME two decades later.

Lee

Adventurer
Any aspect of Disney is not to be made into a museum, but Walt Disney did say on the wonderful world of color episode that all of his world's fair attractions would find a PERMANENT home at Disneyland.....

By "permanent" he didn't mean "We'll keep it running long after it stops being popular or relevant."
He just meant that it wouldn't be a temporary exhibit (couple of years) like other world's fair attractions.

Please tell me this isn't the quote that people have been clinging to for years as evidence Walt didn't want CoP to close.:brick:

Southern Lady

cop

I saw the Carousel of Progress at the NY World Fair. I loved it then, and I love it everytime I go to WDW. It is a Classic! It is a "picture" of American "know how". Therefore it is educational, and inspirational. What I enjoy about WDW is how a story is created into a good experience. I have ridden every ride there except Space Mountain and Kali River Rapids. I liked Expedition Everest even though I held on tight. I liked "Stitch" on the TV, but not at WDW. It did not even touch the essence of Stitch. The book and movie, Gone With the Wind has not been able to be "redone". She took history and her imagination to make it great. Yes, COP does need attention to bring it back into "the modern world" at the end. Why not take the Statue of Liberty down? Its old, and everyone has "seen" it. Yes, it is a symbol of America! How many people go out to the island to really "see" it.

Expo_Seeker40

Lee, No that's not the quote people are attatching to :lookaroun I think

With regaurds to being popular or relevant.....It's up to the Disney company to make the ride enjoyable and popular.

By doing a simple overhaul in 1994, and allowing it to just sit there as is, yes by 2007 it becomes very unpopular, and hardly noticeable.

The ride is certainly not going to fit in a tomorrowland filled with pixar characters either.

My argument is that the CoP just needs help from a company that can help the ride become popular by sprucing it up and making it theatrical and inspiring as it once was. That doesn't mean adding the Incredibles as the family in the ride!

If the Disney company has lost their love for this ride...then being the greedy money getters they are, they might as well sell the CoP to the highest bidder.

That way with the CoP, saved, but removed from tomorrowland, the CoP building can be demolished, along with the galaxy palace theatre, and skyway station, and tomorrowland can have one or two, maybe three attractions that will be brand new.

And to bring up "Disneyland is not a museum", it is interesting to note though that Disneyland was originally executed as an American history park.

Main Street U.S.A.? Adventureland not so much. Fronteirland...of course. Fantasyland was classic storytelling in our childhood brough through the Disney characters. Tomorrowland was the future of America. New Orleans Square is in the past, and the originally proposed Liberty Street at Edison Square was also in the past.

Wouldn't you say he created things, or atleast had things created in the past, fantasy, and future that were both semirealistic i.e. jungle cruise, submarine voyage, but with huge touches of fantasy....adventure thru inner space, matterhorn, etc.

Not everything was Disney branded, but rather Disneyeque and uniquely created attractions for the theme parks only, with SOME character tie ins here and there.

If the CoP must be removed from Tomorrowland, so be it, however it doesn't mean the ride's age, historical significance, and message, can't live on at another Disney park, museum, or exhibit where a company, person, or what have you can take care of it. :wave:

MKCP 1985

With regaurds to being popular or relevant.....It's up to the Disney company to make the ride enjoyable and popular.

. . .

If the CoP must be removed from Tomorrowland, so be it, however it doesn't mean the ride's age, historical significance, and message, can't live on at another Disney park, museum, or exhibit where a company, person, or what have you can take care of it. :wave:

That begs the question of why it would be removed. I would submit the attraction's removal would be due to your first point - it is no longer popular or relevant and the Disney Company is not interested in expending resources to prop it up. Rather, the company might decide to go with something all new.

If CoP isn't so very popular, one can't expect it to be warmly received at another park, so why bother? I'll wager Disney will be happy to collect some monies from MouseSurplus, who will in turn be happy to let the die hard fans of CoP purchase those GE appliances through e-bay auctions, whereafter the lucky high bidder may put them into their own personal museums. :wave:

Expo_Seeker40

Again, the ride is not popular because the Disney company, since 1994 has not invested in the ride. They have never sought a new sponsor.

Only in the past recent years have small things such as some minor paint, some new seats, some AA rehab, and minor set redecoration to the attraction. The suprise fastpasses they are giving out to the CoP are helping a little.

For a company that talks of warm feelings, nostalgia, the past, and childhood...then it's an odd paradox that they won't take care of this attraction.

You make it like......oh people don't want to go see some ride that had an outdated ending, a dry message.I completely agree, but you make it as though its the ride's fault. It's really Disney's fault for making all the changes it made in 1994, and just leaving them there.

They promote stitch, they promote monsters inc for the rides....if they rehabbed CoP or brought it to a different park i.e. bringing it back to Disneyland.....with the way they overhype and market their attractions...they could make CoP look like the next best thing since.....a churro. :slurp:

Shere_Khan

You make it like......oh people don't want to go see some ride that had an outdated ending, a dry message.I completely agree, but you make it as though its the ride's fault. It's really Disney's fault for making all the changes it made in 1994, and just leaving them there.

Who said it was the ride's fault? It seems to me that most everyone who has commented realizes that it is not popular because Disney has not updated it or advertised for it enough. Yeah people don't want to go see a ride that has an outdated ending because Disney has never updated the ending.
If someone blamed it on the ride, I certainly hope that their post was misread because that means they believe that rides can update themselves.

MKCP 1985

Expo-Seeker, it is obvious you have strong feelings for the attraction, and you make heart- felt points, which are appreciated. :) We can't all agree on everything, but hopefully you and I can set an example for some others by disagreeing without being dis-courteous. :D

Actually, I believe the fatal problem with the attraction is that at is core, it is a commercial for GE appliances, and people just aren't going to be all that enthralled with it no matter how much is invested.

Now I've been around the block when it comes to the Magic Kingdom and am comfortable saying Carousel of Progress has not ever been a featured attraction in the Walt Disney World resort. If the day comes that it gets shuttered for good, there will be letters of protest from its small but loyal devoted fans, and then the sun will come up the following day and all will be magical just as it ever was.

The Magic Kingdom caters to families with young children, and as you and I get older, Expo Seeker, the parents with those young children get younger, and by and large have less of a sentimental connection to the eras in time depicted in the various scenes of CoP.

I have to laugh at myself, because there was a campaign on this very website a couple years ago to save the CoP (helloooo General Grizz. . . how are youuu?), and I was drawn in by the campaign and sent my e-mails to Disney brass. When time came for my next trip to WDW, I made sure to ride the CoP with my kids, pointed out the newly installed television monitors showing the making of CoP with Walt himself, but the actual attraction was not such a magical moment for the four of us. Since then, on the last couple trips down, I don't think we bothered, as we were more interested in trying the newer things in Tomorrowland, and saving our pilgrimage to that old Tomorrowland classic - Space Mountain! :D

edit: ooh, now I do like me some churros, though. :D

Expo_Seeker40

Then that's probably what it was, or my mistaking someone for blaming the ride itself. However, I do agree with what you said.

The ride is unpopular due to lack of upkeep, updating, advertisment, etc.

The current version isn't all that engaging or entertaining when compared to previous versions of the ride, let alone other rides at the Magic Kingdom.

My point is, it doesn't mean the ride should be kept in its current form. It just needs some serious TLC and upgrading.

I don't wish for or could even fathom the CoP being an attraction as popular as Space Mountain.....well unless they offered 75% off gift certificates to all giftshops at WDW at the exit to the CoP! :p

I just find that Disney should have something for everyone, and that there will always be a group of people that will enjoy a nostalgic look at the past, seeing the way life was, or something inspiring, creative, and fun i.e. Hall of Presidents for example.

The CoP hasn't been a commercial for GE for many years. Also the ride lacks the optimism it originally had, now Father says things such as "It will never work"....o_O

It's funny because on my first trip to WDW, I never knew what the CoP was....I never saw anything that would take me over to see it, or even want to go see it. After word of mouth, and hearing about it, and researching it,etc by the time I saw the CoP *incidentally in its current version*, I was happy to see it, but still unimpressed with what it has become.

It's a treat to here the audio and see pictures from the older versions of the ride. They are optimisitic, warm, nostalgic, theatrical, and actually enjoyable. I myself even get tired sitting through and watching the current version.

My plea is really to save a ride that does have value, but needs to polished off. Whether it be in tomorrowland, or elsewhere, I just don't see the ride must be demolished when it can be moved or sold. That way new attractions can open in tomorrowland, while a refreshened and saved CoP can open eleswhere.

Shere_Khan

My point is, it doesn't mean the ride should be kept in its current form. It just needs some serious TLC and upgrading.

I absolutely 100% agree with that. And I agree that it is absolutely 100% Disney's fault! I don't want to see it removed, but if they don't update it or promote it they might as well just take it away because it is going to experience less crowds and probably fall apart from the neglect.
I don't feel if Walt were alive that he would keep the CoP around. But if he were alive we all wouldn't care so much about it. It's because he is not alive that we have such feelings toward it.
I just hope that if removed, it will be moved somewhere else, instead of being torn apart. That would be a very sad day.

Shere_Khan

Hello, everyone. Please be aware that Walt Disney World would NEVER think of closing any attraction that dates all the way back to the day the park opened in 1971, and would especially never dare close an attraction of which Walt Disney himself had personal knowledge and experience. Therefore, you do not need to worry yourselves about Carousel of Progress closing or being replaced by another attraction.

Sincerely,

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

and

20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Omg that is the best post I have ever read!

Lee

Adventurer
Again, the ride is not popular because the Disney company, since 1994 has not invested in the ride. They have never sought a new sponsor.

Basically, because they don't know what to do with it.
It's been updated six or seven times before in an attempt to keep it relevant. Didn't help. Guests vote with their feet. No matter how often they update the final scene, the show just doesn't connect with the majority of today's guests. Sad but true.

There are only a few options.
-Dump a load of money into it and update every scene. Space the time intervals out differently, and try to move it forward. (So what, then we could maybe have 1900, 1940, 1980, 2020?)
-Keep bumping up the final scene every few years. We've seen that won't help.
-Leave it alone to draw minimal crowds and take up space.
-Pull it out, say thanks for it's years of service, and replace it with a more modern, guest friendly attraction.

Seem obvious to me.:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom