Incredibles to replace COP?

Thiger

Unfortunately, I do think the trend is moving away from AA driven rides. The screen based rides can be changed a lot quicker. Soarin' will be a favorite even after the current video runs it's course, because it can be completely redone with a new video. The same can be said about Mission Space and Monster's Inc Laugh Floor. Sure they may have to change other things, but if the majority of the attraction's focus is a video it makes it easier (and less costly) to change over than an animatronic driven attraction.

it is too bad. What they can do w/ AA's now is amazing (its awesome to see almost 1 kid / ride of POCT ask if the final Jack Sparrow is a real guy). While I think Soarin is great most of the other 'screen-based' rides seem pretty 2 dimensional to me and don't have that Disney immersion like POTC or HM do. Heck I'll take the Tiki birds over any screen based characters any day.

jmvd20

CoP will never close perm. it may be closed for refurb and changing the final scene, but never gone forever or replaced.

Never say never, except when saying never say never that is...

Mr Bill

Honestly, why would Disney even consider destroying COP. This is probably Walt's favorite attraction. If Walt ever came back, his first ride would be most likely COP. And if he heard that it isn't in his original park (DLR) then he'll be pis**d!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he'd be more likely to shake his head and wonder how it's made it this long.

miles1

The COP's problem is that there's no "WOW" to it anymore. The original draw for it, way back at the World's Fair and even in its early MK days, was the amazement created by the AA's in the attraction. In my first visits to WDW (probably before most of you were born), the audiences were amazed at how the imagineers had created such life-like mechanical pieces. They showcased the extent of the imagineers' imaginations and technical expertise. Over the years Disney has conditioned us to expect even more amazing and futuristic AA's and other effects. The AA's and animation in the COP now seem almost rudimentary by comparasin. (Heck, I can go to the local Stew Leonard's here in town and see more complex AA's than those at COP).

IMHO, what Disney needs to do is turn the imagineers loose on the AA's and let them go wild on it. Combine the interactive technology of Turtle Talk with a few state-of-the-art AA's placed in the seating area of the theater. That would return the WOW to the ride, and make it more interesting for both veteran riders and today's difficult-to-impress younger crowd.

Alas, I doubt the money would ever spent to do something like this. I think we can only hope that when the COP meets it's demise, its replaced with something a lot better than Stitch.

leobloom

Unfortunately, I do think the trend is moving away from AA driven rides. The screen based rides can be changed a lot quicker. Soarin' will be a favorite even after the current video runs it's course, because it can be completely redone with a new video. The same can be said about Mission Space and Monster's Inc Laugh Floor. Sure they may have to change other things, but if the majority of the attraction's focus is a video it makes it easier (and less costly) to change over than an animatronic driven attraction.

But this has been the argument with simulators all along, and you see how often Disney's updated Star Tours. While I heard that Soarin' will get an updated film within the next few years (it's been the plan all along), I doubt they will update Mission Space, Turtle Talk, Monsters, etc. Film is a technology that COULD be updated more frequently, but with Disney it seems to be something they don't take advantage of too often.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It is looking more and more like there is a reason the Skyway station is still standing and Galaxy Palace is underused. The CoP may or may not be closed but it could very well be removed from its current location.

Timmay

If Walt Disney was alive today, he'd remind us we always need to keep moving forward. The park is not and was never intended to be a museum to itself. When Disneyland and WDW opened, they were showcases for the most imaginative, inspiring and technologically advanced entertainment possible at that time. When a ride is no longer particularly imaginative, inspiring, or technologically wondrous, it should be updated or replaced. It's NOT enough for a ride to bring you nostaglic warm feelings.

Thank goodness for common sense...this is spot on.

DisneyMusician2

I wouldn't object to CoP getting a new spot in the World.:)

I just don't believe it should be torn down completely. Something about it simply wouldn't be right.

Maybe a move to Epcot would work more effectively for the ride concept?

Lee

Adventurer
Smileysmackforehead.gif

Expo_Seeker40

What bothers me is how people are making it like it's the CoP's fault! Oh yes it's the Carousel of Emo :ROFLOL: the ride sits in a corner and purposely tries to make itself look old, forlorn, and stagnant. :eek:

It is this magical making happy go lucky commercialized company called Disney that is NOT taking care of a ride that their own founder created himself!

Any aspect of Disney is not to be made into a museum, but Walt Disney did say on the wonderful world of color episode that all of his world's fair attractions would find a PERMANENT home at Disneyland.....the only exception being the radical cost of bringing back every show scene from the Magic Skyway attraction with no sponsor from Ford, thus only the famous Dino scene came back.

The CoP was never meant to be stuck in it's 1967 version at Disneyland....but when you have 80% of its visitors who are locals coming and seeing the same 1967 message over and over again, then yeah I'd say something had to be done. And something was....GE and Disney knew the CoP would do better at WDW for the sake of ridership, sponsorship, and what the ride evoked to new guests that would see it fresh everyear.

But because the CoP sits in the corner of tomorrowland, in a bland old building, with no major advertising or signange or anything really to draw you in, and of course no sponsor....it's no wonder why the ride doesn't get alot of people. Also, the ride had a new theater system become available every 4 mintues so no duh it's going to look like the ride is closed because it takes people in constantly.

The current version SUCKS. I have never liked it. It is nothing like the theatrical, joyful, and positive 1964 and 1967 versions.

In those versions you entered a theater with music blaring out of the speakers of a full piece band and orchestra playing beautiful tomorrow. The theater was of multi colors and not the old bland aqua or even silver color that it is now. Instead of simple curtain, there was a colorful kaleidophonic screen that pulsed and synced to the music.

The people's voices for the characters were of good singers. Even the ending was done in a chorus of male and female voices.

Sorry folks but Jean Shephard has such a dry voice, it makes the ride lack something.

The outdated ending, the staleness, the lack of upkeep, I have no reason why someone wouldn't leave the show midway through, or go see something else.

If the CoP doesn't belong in a Tomorrowland of Monsters, Stitch's, and Green Aliens, than please.....let the ride be sold or moved to some other location where it can be refurbished and revived.

Why get rid of a ride that the founder of your own company created and wanted to keep permanent....if anything sell it someone who can take care of it.

Why can't the CoP be off of Main Street or Liberty Square? The 1964 version would easily work well....a nostalgic look back at technology....the american dream....the hope....the optimism....Progress!!! :eek:

Magicot

Personally I think that CoP would work perfectly in Epcot's Future World. I can picture it as an addition to a redesigned UoE. I've always preferred "The Land style" pavilions with multiple attractions under one roof.

Imagine this: 1 UoE pavilion that holds 2 attractions.
-Ellen's Energy Adventure (or a completely new ride) that shows how we obtain energy
and
-CoP that shows us how we have used and will use our energy

JimboJones123

I am never going to say this again but never say never unless you are vowing to never say never again...

Does anyone have some tylenol?

:D

Never Say Never HENRI:
Never say never, whatever you do
Never say never, my friend
Ah, tais-toi!

If you believe that your dreams will come true
They’ll come true in the end
Keep up your courage, don’t ever despair
Take heart and then count to 10
Hope for the best, work for the rest
And never say never again

FIEVEL:
Never say never

HENRI:
Whatever you do
Again

FIEVEL:
Never say never

HENRI:
To me

If you believe you can come shining through

FIEVEL:
That’s… that’s how it’s gonna be

HENRI:
Perfect!

PIGEON GIRLS:
Now don’t you go and give up
Give out, or give in
When the going gets rough, just get tough
And tell yourself you’re gonna win

HENRI:
Remember to look on the bright side till then
And never...say never...again!

Never...say never...

BOTH:
Never...say never... Never...say never...
Again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom