Incredibles to replace COP?

CThaddeus

I 'keep using that word?' This was the first time I used the word in this thread. I do not think you know what you are talking about.

I'm afraid you mistook my silliness for seriousness.
First, I wasn't referring to you when I said "I do not think it means what you think it means." I was referring to my own comment "Inconceivable." Besides, I didn't say there was a specific word of yours that I found used incorrectly.
Next, "Inconceivable" is a somewhat famous word used incorrectly by a character named Vizzini in the film "The Princess Bride." Later in the film, the character Inigo responds, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Then, Bigtotoro got the reference and we had a little back and forth of yet more lines from "The Princess Bride."
Finally, I used the word inconceivable to show how strange I think it is to write off any Disney film for consideration of an attraction when lesser known films like "Ichabod and Mr. Toad," "The Three Caballeros," and even "Song of the South" all have attractions based on them.

So, let me explain...no, there is too much. Let me sum up - not attacking you, old films okay for attractions, sorry for the misunderstanding. Carry on.

Eyorefan

I'm incredulous because The Incredibles came and went 3 or 4 years ago. I took my then 3 year old son to see it. He was mildly amused by it, bought an Incredibles lunchbox and never mentioned it again. From my anecdotal viewpoint, I don't see any of my kids' classmates or friends running around with Incredibles tshirts, nor do I see them on sale at Wal Mart, nor do I see any prominent displays of Incredibles toys at the toy stores lately, nor have there been any kids trick or treating as Incredibles characters at my door in the last 3 years or so. Other than reading about the Incredibles here on this Disney-centric site, I don't believe I have seen any lasting impact of this movie on the popular culture. That's why I am incredulous that they would consider theming a ride (probably not to open until 2009 or so) based on this movie.

And yes, The Incredibles grossed 200+ million at the box office. That puts it at No. 131 on the all time adjusted top grossers according to boxofficemojo, well behind such classics as "Gremlins" and "Spiderman 3."

I don't think the question of weather a movie has had a visibly lasting mark on our culture really comes into play here. The Incredibles is a movie that would lend itself to a good ride, no matter where you put it. I don't think I have ever seen anyone dress up as a character from Song of the South and you certaintly don't see any merchandise from the movie that you can't even buy in the US, yet they created one of the parks most popular rides around its characters.

JimboJones123

I don't think the question of weather a movie has had a visibly lasting mark on our culture really comes into play here. The Incredibles is a movie that would lend itself to a good ride, no matter where you put it. I don't think I have ever seen anyone dress up as a character from Song of the South and you certaintly don't see any merchandise from the movie that you can't even buy in the US, yet they created one of the parks most popular rides around its characters.
What are you talking about.
I saw one couple trick or treating in our neighborhood dressed as "Brer Frog" and "Brer Aligator" and wheeling aroung their "Tar Baby" in the stroller. It was a good affect too. It was dripping and everything. I did have to wash the driveway the next morning though.

comics101

22 ft. Yeti, anyone?

As stated before, The Yeti is an amazing AA, bu it's seen only once throughout the whole attraction, and was the last new attraction an AA was put in. I understand one of the reasons Disney hasn't made attractions with as many AAs as they used to is bc of cost, but I still think it's sad, and I'd say it's safe to assume that if COP is replaced it probably won't be replaced by an attraction with AAs.

p.s. Jimbo Jones, I saw that costume too! I thought it was so clever!!!!

Disneyfan1981

Wow. So much to read and so many points left and right. As for CoP, I am a Disneynut and have been to WDW quite a few times but this last time is the only time I've ever ridden it and mainly because it was amazingly hot outside and there was no wait. Its definitely dated, quant but dated and if it were taken out I know personally I wouldn't mind it. I know its directly tied to Walt but one could make the argument that the entire Disney empire is tied to Walt and things he had his hands on years ago are still being used and expanded upon today. To hold up progress for nostalga's (sp?) sake is ridiculous and while I feel that Disney should really make more generic attractions like Everest where they'll be around long after a movie hype has died, if they don't it won't take anything from the ride itself as the examples of Mr. Toad and Song of the South were noted in this thread. As for an Incredibles tie-in, that was put to rest pretty early in this thread but since it still lagging behind, the Incredibles was a success not Lion King successful but a success and yes kids are fickle and move from one thing to another but remember the Lion King craze? I do, I was in Junior High and 8th grade kids were still carrying around LK stuff that has come and gone like every other craze and it wouldn't stop me from wanting a ride done in its likeness because it wasn't trendy anymore or because I didn't see the quality of it.

Either way the statement was made that CoP is on borrowed time, it may or may not close next year so for those diehard fans enjoy it as much as you can and for those looking towards the next thing be ready because it could happen in as little as 4 months....

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Hmm...all be darned. I just looked at my map from Sept and it was listed there too. I retract my statement about it not being on maps. I do know for a while it wasn't listed though.

Ah...ok ... yes.. I believe it was not listed on the map for a little while... while the attraction was "seasonal" :wave:

dxwwf3

Ah...ok ... yes.. I believe it was not listed on the map for a little while... while the attraction was "seasonal" :wave:

That is true. It also wasn't on the map when it was opened during the SGE construction, if memory serves me right.

JimboJones123

As stated before, The Yeti is an amazing AA, bu it's seen only once throughout the whole attraction, and was the last new attraction an AA was put in. I understand one of the reasons Disney hasn't made attractions with as many AAs as they used to is bc of cost, but I still think it's sad, and I'd say it's safe to assume that if COP is replaced it probably won't be replaced by an attraction with AAs.

p.s. Jimbo Jones, I saw that costume too! I thought it was so clever!!!!

Cool, didja see my house, We had the big inflatable Tigger as a Vampire in the lawn.

PLTram

I'm afraid you mistook my silliness for seriousness.
First, I wasn't referring to you when I said "I do not think it means what you think it means." I was referring to my own comment "Inconceivable." Besides, I didn't say there was a specific word of yours that I found used incorrectly.

Sorry, I wasn't 100% sure of what you were talking about, but you were quoting my post, so I presumed you were talking about its contents.

CBOMB

Logic must be applied when we are discussing topics such as how Siemen and giant golf balls are related to each other, Churros, TTA love, and castle christmas lights. :lookaroun
I would like to humbly submit my nomination for Expo Seeker4o's post on logic for "post Of The Decade".:D

hauntdmansion79

Old news really, I've been warning people for two years now, saying these things would happen...

And it's only the beginning...

In all fairness, earlier this year when I thought the Epcot wand might be coming down soon, you promised me that it was not going anywhere any time soon. You were very sure of that.

Rufus T Firefly

I'd like to see it return to Disneyland. DL doesn't seem to be afraid to spend $$$ to update and give a little TLC to the older attractions. Maybe that's Lassiter's influence.

RSoxNo1

Unfortunately, I do think the trend is moving away from AA driven rides. The screen based rides can be changed a lot quicker. Soarin' will be a favorite even after the current video runs it's course, because it can be completely redone with a new video. The same can be said about Mission Space and Monster's Inc Laugh Floor. Sure they may have to change other things, but if the majority of the attraction's focus is a video it makes it easier (and less costly) to change over than an animatronic driven attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom