Dieting for Disney 2009

figmentisgreat

Hey All! :wave:

Some of you may remember a fantastic thread a while back, Dieting for Disney 2009...well, I'm bringing it back!

Last time we did this, I actually held myself accountable for what I ate and successfully dropped the pounds that I wanted to get rid off...well, some of the pounds came back, and my trip is in 62 days! Sooo, Let's do this again!

Reply back with your trip date, your goal to lose, how will losing this weight help you on your trip (more self confidence, etc.), and how you are planning to lose the weight/tone up (exercise, eat less, weight watchers, no dessert, etc.)

Then, we can talk to each other about how we are doing and share tips!

So, whaddya think?? I'll start -

My trip is May 26, I want to lose 15 pounds (I understand that might not be possible, but I want it to be something like that) I want to feel more self confident and be able to take pictures without worrying that I will look bad because of my weight, and finally, I am planning on going to the gym more and reducing the amount of junk food I eat. I am going to try to stick to a low calorie diet. Let's see how that works!!!

Jones611

I'm glad to hear everyone's doing such a great job!

I've lost 16.5 lbs since February 9th and I have 12.5 left. My goal is to be at 190 lbs by our trip on May 20th! I've been losing 2 lbs per week so I'm well on my way!

I just discovered a great snack for those with a sweet tooth! Ben & Jerry's has small single serve ice creams ranging from 200-230 calories. So far I've found Cherry Garcia, Strawberry Cheesecake, Chocolate Fudge Brownie and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. They are all really good!

Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Was doing pretty good then I had a chocolate attack today and went to Dairy Queen :lookaroun I must learn to control cravings better!

I thought I was going to have one today. I went to the store to pick up some more fresh fruit and my DD bought a Hershey bar. Well she started eating it in the car right next to me and I could smell it, and my mouth started to water for it. I rolled down the window so the smell would disappear. :ROFLOL:I was so proud of myself!! :lol:

It's been a week with no sweets except fresh fruit. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Wow! I've stopped eating past 7pm, and I can feel the difference already! I totally know about the "rumbling in the tumbly" :p but like someone else said, a glass of water helps a LOT!

I'm almost excited about weighing myself at the end of this week!:eek:

Sunday is my "rest day" so I can eat whatever. But I've been realizing that I'm choosing better already, even though I can eat what I want. It IS amazing that the little things can make a big difference!:D

Everyone is doing a wonderful job! I don't know how everyone else's weather is, but mine is FANTASTIC, so I'm heading out to go ride a bike or something. :cool::cool:

Keep up the great work guys! :wave:

Don't do that. What you want is a lifestyle change. You want your "normal" lifestyle to be eating smaller portions, eating better food, and not eating for emotional or social reasons. Building in "cheat" days just makes it all that harder to make a true change.

I made the change, with no "cheat" days. I was at WDW last week and my thoughs were that I could now go "off" the diet. While I was there I really had no desire to eat any junk or to pig out. Thats because my "normal" life is now not eating like that. I think I came back 2 or 3 lbs heavier, which was most likely due to the fact I was not working out every day. After walking all day, an hour of Plyometrics was not going down to well. After 30 minutes I went to bed :)

Good luck with your plans though, and I hope you have success.

-dave

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Hey everyone, Im new here. Im glad to see all the people taking an interest in getting fit. Not to sound preachy but you should really try to keep this up all year round, not just when you might be wearing a bathing suit. And keep in mind it takes more than dieting to really loose weight. You need to get plenty of exercise. My problem is not loosing weight but gainning. So I need to take in more calories than the average person should. Being that I have a slim build thats just hard for me to do. I would highly recomend P90X. I just started it last week, and it is amazing. I agree, my knees hate Plyo day, its without a doubt the hardest day in the program. For me anyway. But when your done you feel like you have accomplished something. Ive never done a workout like P90X. Its a 3 month program, so all you people going in July or August might want to look into it. You wont regret it if you stick with it, Im sure. It does take a while to do everyday,( about an hour and a half at the most.) but its no more than if you were to drive to the gym and back. I have worked out on a Bowflex for years, and got nowhere near the results I wanted. But after just one week with this I can tell a difference. I know I sound like a commercial too, but seriously this workout is awsome. And the host Tony is pretty funny too lol. But if what your doing right now is working for you, keep at it. Even if its not giving you the results you want, doing something is better than doing nothing.

Yes, Plyo is not the fun day (which happens to be Wed for me - so I did it just this afternoon)

But, to quote Tony .... "Ab Ripper X, I hate it, but I love it"

I DESPISE crunchy frogs, and hip rock and rolls. :)

-dave

Upvote 0

Phonedave

OK, so I went back to the gym this morning so I am still on track. I weighed in at the same as I did yesterday. I know that I shouldn't weigh everyday but it feels good to see the scale go down. :lol: I have done good with my meals today. It's 1:00 and I am still going strong. I get worried in the late afternoon, so I have been trying to stay busy during that rough time.

My goal is 15 more pounds. I think that I can do it!!! :ROFLOL:

Why not weigh every day. I way every day when I wake up. Same time of the day, same clothing (or lack of :) )

That way I get a true idea of where I am trending, and not a false reading because of water weight. I can do an hour of Kenpo and end up weighing more after than before because of all the water I drank.

-dave

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I thought I was going to have one today. I went to the store to pick up some more fresh fruit and my DD bought a Hershey bar. Well she started eating it in the car right next to me and I could smell it, and my mouth started to water for it. I rolled down the window so the smell would disappear. :ROFLOL:I was so proud of myself!! .

EXCELLENT !!!

Didn't it feel GREAT to be tempted and WIN. Thats that lifestyle change. You are in control and it feels so much better to be in shape and healthy and STAY in shape and healthy than the 30 seconds of eating candy. Soon you will look at a candy bar and say "I worked too hard to get where I am now, and I'll be damed if I am going to eat that candy"

Good for you.

-dave

Upvote 0

twoboysnmygirl

While I personally agree that a lifestyle change works for me, some people can't work that way and some people need to take baby steps on that journey.

I've been a raw vegan for 4 1/2 years, so this isn't just a "diet" to lose weight for me. I went to WDW last fall and although it was hard to eat healthy, I made great choices and still had a great time because after you change the way you think about food, you realize that it's not all about the food anymore. I can have an amazing time without eating junk. There's even really enjoyable food that isn't junk.

BUT, it takes time for many people to make that change, it doesn't happen overnight. In fact, I think if people try too quickly to be restrictive, they quit before they even give themselves a chance. Changing habits takes some time and sometimes it's about the journey, not the destination! :)

Upvote 0

petersenjp

I dont know if this was stated or not, but if you are going to weigh your self daily, make sure to get a digital scale. losing .3 lbs or what ever will give you better encouragement then just seeing the normal scale on the same number.

Upvote 0

sandybeach

YAY! This is perfect to help me stick to my plan! I'm new here and going on our first family trip Nov. 20-27. I need to lose 30 pounds and I'm hoping realistically, I can lose at least 20. I started a power walking and healthy eating plan. I dropped 4 pounds so far.

Love this thread!

-Sandy

Upvote 0

Phonedave

While I personally agree that a lifestyle change works for me, some people can't work that way and some people need to take baby steps on that journey.

I've been a raw vegan for 4 1/2 years, so this isn't just a "diet" to lose weight for me. I went to WDW last fall and although it was hard to eat healthy, I made great choices and still had a great time because after you change the way you think about food, you realize that it's not all about the food anymore. I can have an amazing time without eating junk. There's even really enjoyable food that isn't junk.

BUT, it takes time for many people to make that change, it doesn't happen overnight. In fact, I think if people try too quickly to be restrictive, they quit before they even give themselves a chance. Changing habits takes some time and sometimes it's about the journey, not the destination! :)

Oh I agree with that. It does take steps, and there will be times where you slip. When you do, there is no need to beat yourself up, just get back on that horse and try again.

The thing is, when you build in "cheat" days you are basicly already setting up a "slip". Maybe you could have gone 8 days without eating a Snickers Bar, and then on day 9 you eat one. No big deal, you at a Sinckers, get back on track and get back on your plan. However if you built in a cheat day on day 7, as a "pig out" day. You are going to go and eat that Snickers beacuase you already decided that "this is the day I am going to do it". Now you never knew that you could have gone 8 days.

Raw vegan is quite impressive. Thats something I dont think I would want to do. I love my veggies - all kinds - but I also enjoy them with the judicious application of heat. Raw beets, kohlrabi, or artichokes just don't seem appitizing to me.

-dave

-dave

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

EXCELLENT !!!

Didn't it feel GREAT to be tempted and WIN. Thats that lifestyle change. You are in control and it feels so much better to be in shape and healthy and STAY in shape and healthy than the 30 seconds of eating candy. Soon you will look at a candy bar and say "I worked too hard to get where I am now, and I'll be damed if I am going to eat that candy"

Good for you.

-dave

:ROFLOL: Yes, it felt great!! :lol: The funny thing is, once you give up sweets you just don't crave them like before.

I am so sore today from working out so hard. I was a little upset when I still had not lost any more weight, BUT I am still working hard at it. I had an egg for breakfast, sliced turkey and fresh strawberries for lunch. I will have a salad for dinner. Hopefully by the weekend I will see a difference. :)

Keep up the good work everyone!!:wave:

Upvote 0
I need to elaborate. Sunday isn't my "pig out" day. It's my day to drink my one alcoholic beverage and not feel bad, my day to order a hamburger and not feel bad about it. BUT I've been noticing that when this day comes around, I'm not in the mood to really deviate from my diet. I almost instinctively choose a better meal than hamburgers and fries. (Although I did have a helping of ice cream this weekend...;))

I didn't mean that I just wait until Sunday to eat all the junk food I want. It's my day to eat something and not feel bad about it if I do. If I don't,well that's even a better choice, huh? :D

Anyways, I'm off to the gym. Anyone want to join me? I haven't had a gym buddy at all during this, and it's kinda lonely. But it also gets me more focused on what I'm doing instead of listening to a conversation..soo..:shrug:

Everyone keep up the wonderful work!!

Disney CM's are going to wonder where all these good looking people came from!! ;):D:cool::drevil:

Upvote 0

disneyliv85

Bring on the Sweatin to the Oldies!! :ROFLOL:

No, seriously lol. My mom had the tapes back in the day and when I feel like I just need to get moving but have a bit more fun I do those! I need a break from Bill Blanks boot camp kickin my behind!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

:ROFLOL: Yes, it felt great!! :lol: The funny thing is, once you give up sweets you just don't crave them like before.

I am so sore today from working out so hard. I was a little upset when I still had not lost any more weight, BUT I am still working hard at it. I had an egg for breakfast, sliced turkey and fresh strawberries for lunch. I will have a salad for dinner. Hopefully by the weekend I will see a difference. :)

Keep up the good work everyone!!:wave:

Here is a little fact. Muscle weighs more than fat, for a given volume.

You may not be loosing the pounds, but you will be loosing the inches.

Isn't feeling sore a good thing in a way? You may be sore, but you feel like you have done something (my shoulders are killine me right now, and I am as happy as can be :) )

Your diet sounds like uber low calories. Minimal carbs too. Eggs are great - In fact, I may go have one now :)

-dave

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I need to elaborate. Sunday isn't my "pig out" day. It's my day to drink my one alcoholic beverage and not feel bad, my day to order a hamburger and not feel bad about it. BUT I've been noticing that when this day comes around, I'm not in the mood to really deviate from my diet. I almost instinctively choose a better meal than hamburgers and fries. (Although I did have a helping of ice cream this weekend...;))

Isn't that great? When you "allow" yourself treats, and you end up just not wanting them. Thats what happend to me on this last WDW trip. Just didn't feel like eating the junk.

And who can deny Ice Cream :) Breyers Carb Smart - 90 calories a 1/2 cup, and 4g net carbs. Of course if you eat 4 cups of it ..... but a 1/2 cup once or twice a week can fit nicely into a healthy eating plan.

-dave

I didn't mean that I just wait until Sunday to eat all the junk food I want. It's my day to eat something and not feel bad about it if I do. If I don't,well that's even a better choice, huh? :D

Sounds like a plan to me.

Anyways, I'm off to the gym. Anyone want to join me? I haven't had a gym buddy at all during this, and it's kinda lonely. But it also gets me more focused on what I'm doing instead of listening to a conversation..soo..:shrug:

Everyone keep up the wonderful work!!

Disney CM's are going to wonder where all these good looking people came from!! ;):D:cool::drevil:

Working out with a friend is nice because you can motivate each other But working alone is nice because nobody bothers you. Difficult decisions :)

-dave

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Working out with a friend is nice because you can motivate each other But working alone is nice because nobody bothers you. Difficult decisions :)

-dave

:wave:
This is true! It can also work against you...I have a friend and we used to go to the gym together but we'd find one of us saying "ugh I'm tired...let's just do 20 minutes" and the other would agree and give in.
This is one reason why we don't go together anymore!

If you go with a friend...make sure it is with someone who will stick to a sensible work out time!

Upvote 0

erstwo

This may have been mentioned. Please forgive me if it has, but there is a great FREE app for your iPhone called "Lose It!" that might be helpful to some of us!

You enter your current weight, height and goal weight, and how much you want to lose per week and it tells you how many calories you can eat. You can then enter in the foods you have for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks and it tracks your daily calories and even graphs them for you!! Great stuff.

You can also enter in your exercise/ calories burned.

I don't know for sure, but this may also work on the ipod touch, but I think you would need to be near a wi-fi at first because it "searches" for you food entries (aka, you enter in "hamburger" and it shows you "Mc Donald's Hamburger / Wendy's Hamburger... and so on")

Here's to a thinner me in June!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom