Dieting for Disney 2009

figmentisgreat

Hey All! :wave:

Some of you may remember a fantastic thread a while back, Dieting for Disney 2009...well, I'm bringing it back!

Last time we did this, I actually held myself accountable for what I ate and successfully dropped the pounds that I wanted to get rid off...well, some of the pounds came back, and my trip is in 62 days! Sooo, Let's do this again!

Reply back with your trip date, your goal to lose, how will losing this weight help you on your trip (more self confidence, etc.), and how you are planning to lose the weight/tone up (exercise, eat less, weight watchers, no dessert, etc.)

Then, we can talk to each other about how we are doing and share tips!

So, whaddya think?? I'll start -

My trip is May 26, I want to lose 15 pounds (I understand that might not be possible, but I want it to be something like that) I want to feel more self confident and be able to take pictures without worrying that I will look bad because of my weight, and finally, I am planning on going to the gym more and reducing the amount of junk food I eat. I am going to try to stick to a low calorie diet. Let's see how that works!!!

DisneyPrincess5

:wave:
Keep up the good work everyone! You can do it!

Continuing off hrcollectibles great tip, I have another helpful tidbit that helps me a lot.
When I go to the gym, I watch TV shows, movies, miscellaneous videos, and DISNEY VIDEOS on my iPod (Disney short cartoons, shows from Travel Channel etc) and it helps the time pass quicker.
Some you have to download for a few dollars, but keep an eye open for the free ones too. I just downloaded the episode of Samantha Brown's Disney Favorites for free!

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Great tips everyone. I went to the gym today and it was flooded from all of the rain that we have had. :ROFLOL:So, I am at home and will do a workout here today. Now... if I could just pull my self away from this computer. :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0
I was bad today. But it wasn't my fault! We were at a restaurant and I ordered a salad, and when I got it, it had a really dark long-ish HAIR in it! :eek::eek::eek:

Needless to say, I took it back, and they told me I could order whatever I wanted, and I ordered a cheeseburger with fries. I was just so dissapointed in my salad, and I..I don't know.

But I did do an extra 20 minutes of workout-ing, soo yes?:lookaroun:lookaroun

Anyways, I'm weighing myself next week, lets see what the damage is!

Everyone keep up the great work!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

How about a post trip story

7 weeks ago I was 230 lbs (I am 6' 4") and was told by my Doctor that my blood sugar was a bit high, and that I need to loose weight, and should be doing a diabetic diet.

As of last Saturday - the day before I went to WDW I was 198 and my blood sugar was perfect. In fact I had a general check up that Friday and was told "all my numbers are perfect, and honestly - you look good, Keep it up"

My diet consisted of a big salad with loads of veggies and some sort of protien (meat, cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc) for lunch and a sensible amount of chicken, fish, or lean beef with non-starchy vegatibles and another salad for dinner. I elemenated most alcohol and sweets (except for the occassion no sugar added ice cream). I still drink about a gallon of coffee with milk each day - hey, blood pressure is not a problem with me.

I also dropped my gym membership and bought P90X and did it religiously - an hour to an hour and a half of fat burning, sweat creating workouts six days a week.

I just goi back from 5 days in Florida, and am now 203 lbs.

Time to get back at it for the Disney Cruise in August :)

-dave

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Another tip I forgot to post earlier...I am using the Couch-to-5k running plan:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's pretty good, you start off running 1 minute at a time and then build up...the goal of the plan is to run 3 miles in 30 minutes. Right now I am on week 6.

Keep up the good work eveyone! :wave:

I did that same plan about a year ago.

I thought I liked running - I don't :)

Seriously, what got to me was that I I had worked up to running a 5k or so 2 or 3 times a week.

Then I took a week off because of work, travel, etc.

I got back out there and was s__________g wind.

I lost all my conditioning in about 10 days. That really turned me off of running.

-dave

Upvote 0

sueuk

Well I had a great day yesterday, ate lots of fruit, low fat yogurts and 2 alpenlite bars, then had steak and veggies for dinner. I'm back to work on Monday after 6 weeks, so the excercise levels will increase!! (not to mention the stress).

Upvote 0

twoboysnmygirl

I've lost about 20 pounds since last fall and want to lose another 20 before our big trip in October.

I've been a raw vegan for 4 1/2 years, which means I eat tons of fruit and veggies, but always overloaded on avocado's, which kept my weight up, amazingly. You would think it wouldn't, but I've always had a sluggish system. So, I cut out the avo's for the most part and started dropping the weight.

I've done Couch to 5K and I loved it! Great way to get your body used to running! :)

Upvote 0

Kristia

This is a really great thread! My husband and I are really trying to get in shape for our Disney trip in Sept (and for ourselves in general). I am a frequent lurker to the site, but don't post much. This thread though has brought me out of hiding :wave: Anyway, I am currently at 175 and would love to lose 30 lb by the trip. I have started running and taking the dog for long walks. We are pretty rural and going to the gym is not an option. I printed out the Couch-to-5k Running Plan and am definitely going to try that. My DH and I are very bad with the eating out so that is probably the hardest bad habit of ours to curb. Looking forward to hearing about everyones progress and tips to get healthy!

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

I still haven't been able to hit the treadmill lately. :( But I have been eating better. I made dinner last night (grilled chicken and rice) and I haven't been snacking too much. Honey wheat pretzels, applesauce with fiber, pineapple cubes, and SoBe Life Water have been on the list so far. :) Those are just the "hmm...I need a little something.." snacks.

I know that I'm right where I need to be weight wise for my height (5'10") but I also know that my muscles still need toning. Still trying to find the balance between (consistent) exercise and eating right.

Upvote 0

twoboysnmygirl

Diddy mouse, I'm 5' 10" too, I've held my weight fairly well (no one believes what I weigh!) :rolleyes: but I'm just shy of that "normal" range that I would LOVE to be in! (never been in it my entire adulthood!)

Upvote 0

Daddymouse

DW and I have decided to change our lifestyle. Call it an overhaul. We are quitting smoking with the help of acupuncture. I've started, with the help of a friend that runs marathons, working out on the treadmill 4 days a week 30 minutes a day. I started out with a walk and added some speed and then I added jogging for a minute at a time before walking again. Plus DW and I walk 6 nights a week. It helps that the weather has broken some here. I don't eat much but my metabolism was that of a statue.

I've been doing this for three weeks now, and have started to notice the difference in my pants. Plus I have more energy. Anyway we leave in early Aug. I would like to lose at least 40 lbs. and 4 sizes on the pants.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
YEAH! I'm in!! I'm currently looking at 69 days to our last trip and I want to drop about 25 pounds! You guys are inspiring and a great inspiration! Thank you for bring this back!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Jones611

Here is somehting that is helping me. For Ipod Touch and Iphone users there is a free application call Lose It. it is awesome. You put in your weight and your goal and how many pounds each week you want to lose and it calculates how long it will take to reach your goal weight. You log your food and your excercises and lets you know how many calories etc.. Its awesome. Good luck to everyone :sohappy: SO far ( I started my diet on 3/9 and have lot 4 pounds so far)

That's the app I'm using! It does help tremendously!!

Upvote 0

stitchsMom

I think I can

I was a tiny 135lbs at 5'10" all through high school, then had my son and the evil depo shot (quit that quickly but not before the negative after affects had set in such as chronic hair loss and the weight changing hormones). My weight since then as been up over 200lbs, down to 140lbs, back up to 170lbs, and currently at 160lbs. I am comfy at 145-150lbs, so I hope to lose 10-15lbs. On our trip last year to WDW, I cried because I looked terrible! Not just chunky, but unhealthy... So, when I saw this I thought - why not? I have tried to get friends and family to join me at the gym, as I need the positive support and motivation in order for me to keep up with working out, but that only lasts a week or two. So, trying this I feel I am still accountable to someone... kind of! Anway reading all the posts inspired me enough to say, I think I can do this. I bookmarked the couch to 5k, and uploaded the lose it app to my iPhone! I start back at the gym at 630am tomorrow!

Upvote 0

Ariel484

I did that same plan about a year ago.

I thought I liked running - I don't :)

Seriously, what got to me was that I I had worked up to running a 5k or so 2 or 3 times a week.

Then I took a week off because of work, travel, etc.

I got back out there and was s__________g wind.

I lost all my conditioning in about 10 days. That really turned me off of running.

-dave

Yeah, I could see how taking that week off would be tough. One thing that really surprised me about the plan is that it has you running 2 miles non-stop by week 5! :eek: I did it though and it went a lot better than I expected, so I guess the plan does a good job of increasing ones endurance :sohappy:. Tomorrow I start running 2.5 miles...eek!

Good luck to anyone else who is trying this plan! I'm really hoping it'll help with the weight loss as the mileage goes up. I've heard running is a great way to lose weight so hopefully it'll work.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Yeah, I could see how taking that week off would be tough. One thing that really surprised me about the plan is that it has you running 2 miles non-stop by week 5! :eek: I did it though and it went a lot better than I expected, so I guess the plan does a good job of increasing ones endurance :sohappy:. Tomorrow I start running 2.5 miles...eek!

Good luck to anyone else who is trying this plan! I'm really hoping it'll help with the weight loss as the mileage goes up. I've heard running is a great way to lose weight so hopefully it'll work.

The couch to 5K did work. I had dreams of running a marathon, but I have decided that I just don't like running.

I think each person has to find what works for them. I don't want to sound like an advertisment, but P90X is what works for me. Trust me, it is WORK, you will sweat and you will be sore the next day, but man it delivers resutls. And - to be frank - its fun. I look foward to it now (except the days that have Plyometrics - I still hate plyo, or more accurately, my knees hate plyo). Tony Horton, the guy that is on the videos, is a great motavator. And even though its pricey ($130 or) it's a lot cheaper than my membership to Bally's (with its fungus laden locker toom floors) was.

-dave

Upvote 0

figmentisgreat

Original Poster
I am making my friend do the couch to 5k with me,and I told her that we have unbreakable dates on Monday and Wednesday mornings, but Fridays could be modified because we sometimes have to leave to go back home... will that be a problem?

Upvote 0

epcotWSC

I also don't like running much. After like 15 minutes I get bored with it. On a treadmill I can't stand it at all. I don't like that feeling of not being able to control my speed without pressing a button. Running on the treadmill also gets boring because you're just starring at something. If you're running watching TV isn't all that easy on a treadmill. That's why I only run outside which isn't very useful during the winter. Even then I hate it because I get shin splints very easily unless I run on grass. It's a mess.

If I'm at a gym I go on the elliptical, that can be fun. Also I enjoy the stationary bike. Either way, after 15 minutes I really get bored with all of those things. I tend to enjoy sports much more. I'd rather play hockey for a couple of hours than that other stuff. I try to get out and do that (whether on rollerblades or ice) as often as I can. Playing a real game also really kicks your butt.

Otherwise now I'm all about the core workouts and push ups. I was obsessed with push ups throughout the winter, but have gotten lazy recently.

Upvote 0

Ariel484

I am making my friend do the couch to 5k with me,and I told her that we have unbreakable dates on Monday and Wednesday mornings, but Fridays could be modified because we sometimes have to leave to go back home... will that be a problem?

I wonder if you could sort of modify it when you have to skip a Friday? So let's say Monday is workout 1, Wednesday is workout 2, then you have to skip Friday...could you then do workout 3 the next Monday, then start the next week on Wednesday (so then Wednesday is workout 1, week 2)? :shrug: This probably made no sense...basically just push the workouts back one day when you have to skip a Friday?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom