Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

BigB911

Although I personally worked for a larger agency, there are many smaller agencies where the calltaker is also the dispatcher and running their own NCIC. My hat was always off to the folks who worked this way. It amazed me. You are right in that telling a caller "someone will be there right away" is wrong because a calltaker has no clue what is actually going on out on the streets and if there will be a unit available to be in that caller's location right away. Promising what you don't know hangs you wide open for liability. I wouldn't necessarily say "call away" though because where I worked our biggest problem was always having enough warm bodies to work communications. The intense stress coupled with low pay and crappy treatment by the public and other divisions within the agency made it near impossible to keep people around long enough to train them much less ask them to work overtime. When our shifts were short that only spelled more stress for those who did show up. :hammer:

Yeah, it's like that here, with every position equipped with a CML to take calls. Like the desk I'm at right now has NCIC, CAD, and a CML. Although I'm kinda like the "last resort" to take a call. We, too, have lots of forced OT. But what's nice is, is that we are paid pretty well here.

My favorite calls were the ones where "a cat is stuck in a tree". These folks are totally adamant that the cat is truly stuck. LOL! If logic wasn't accepted by these people generally the fix was the question, "Ma'am, when was the last time you saw a cat skeleton in a tree?" :shrug:

Hey...that's my line!!!

At any rate...always nice to find a fellow 911'er!:wave:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Regarding the kids in the car:
Do I think that the police REALLY needed to get involved? No, probably not.
HOWEVER...
Better safe than sorry! I support the calling of 911!

*TXWDWFAN*

Just my opinion: Where I live we are told not to call 911 unless it is an emergency. Why not just call the non-emergency line at the police station and get an officer that way? I have had to do that many times when I needed an officer (not a baby in the car situation).

Is it possible to get back to the things that happen in Disney World?

sublimesting

I've sort of got one. Last year we were in front of the castle at night trying to get our picture taken for photo pass. The CM was trying to get his camera to work and literally was fiddling with it for 11 minutes as we posed and people kept trying to push us aside as if they were waiting to have THEIR picture taken by this CM. Finally we were very very annoyed at the whole situation but determined to get our pic as we waited that long. So, we looked very ed and the CM snaps the picture without warning. Of course he took another when we were ready but the PO'd picture is what leads off our Disney photopass CD that we made for ourselves. It was quite funny when our parents visited and we showed them our disc and the first picure is us looking mad as hell surrounded by Magic Kingdom animations and a quote that says "Where dreams come true..."

sweetpee_1993

Thought of one! I mentioned it before in another thread somewhere but I can't remember.

Anywhoo, me and my 2 sons were in the pre-show for RnRC when an obviously South American family (judging by all their soccer jerseys with Brazil on them) came along. The 3 teenagers were literally shoving past everyone to the door where the pre-show lets into the "alley". I heard the Dad behind them say in English, "Go! Yes! Push your way thru! That's it!" Then they stopped in front of the door not far from where I had just pulled my sons into me to keep them from being trampled. I turned around and a group of guys behind me had that same look of "did that just happen????" on their faces that I did. I glared over at the rude dad and said very loudly, "It's a shame when a parent encourages disgusting behavior in their kids." Rude dad pretended he didn't hear me but I know he did. What was really funny was the way the line ended up working out with their larger group, we actually got on the ride before they did. I waved as we rode past them. LOL!

WildLodgeFan

Thought of one! I mentioned it before in another thread somewhere but I can't remember.

Anywhoo, me and my 2 sons were in the pre-show for RnRC when an obviously South American family (judging by all their soccer jerseys with Brazil on them) came along. The 3 teenagers were literally shoving past everyone to the door where the pre-show lets into the "alley". I heard the Dad behind them say in English, "Go! Yes! Push your way thru! That's it!" Then they stopped in front of the door not far from where I had just pulled my sons into me to keep them from being trampled. I turned around and a group of guys behind me had that same look of "did that just happen????" on their faces that I did. I glared over at the rude dad and said very loudly, "It's a shame when a parent encourages disgusting behavior in their kids." Rude dad pretended he didn't hear me but I know he did. What was really funny was the way the line ended up working out with their larger group, we actually got on the ride before they did. I waved as we rode past them. LOL!

Ah! Sweet Justice!

KingStefan

I've sort of got one. Last year we were in front of the castle at night trying to get our picture taken for photo pass. The CM was trying to get his camera to work and literally was fiddling with it for 11 minutes as we posed and people kept trying to push us aside as if they were waiting to have THEIR picture taken by this CM. Finally we were very very annoyed at the whole situation but determined to get our pic as we waited that long. So, we looked very ed and the CM snaps the picture without warning. Of course he took another when we were ready but the PO'd picture is what leads off our Disney photopass CD that we made for ourselves. It was quite funny when our parents visited and we showed them our disc and the first picure is us looking mad as hell surrounded by Magic Kingdom animations and a quote that says "Where dreams come true..."

:lol:This is hilarious! Way to go keeping the magic - when you get lemons, make lemonade!

MAF

How old are these kids you are talking about? Was the car running?

She certainly doesn't sound like mother of the year...but then again calling 911 seems like a bit of an extreme reaction as well.

AEfx
I hate to bring this topic back from the dead, but I completely agree w/ you. Calling 911 is a TAD bit extreme...:hammer:

Kelsybelle

MAF;2964147[B said:
]I hate to bring this topic back from the dead,[/B] but I completely agree w/ you. Calling 911 is a TAD bit extreme...:hammer:

Hey, I have a good idea, lets not!!! :brick: It's a touchy subject, so lets keep the Disney stories going, they are very entertaining! :)

The Oggmonster

Last year we were in line for Pirates. I walked over to the fountain to fill the bottle (like 5-6 feet away) while the line was at a stand still. My husband bent over to tie his shoes. These two people that spoke French went from the very back of the line (at least 45 people) and got in line in front of my husband. There wasn't a big gap or anything between him and the next person in front on him. It was just normal line spacing so I guess they kind of shoved their way in. If I remember his story correctly, they almost knocked him down. I walked back from the water fountain and saw what they had done. I was angry to say the least. Several of us decided we weren't going to tolerate their rude behavior. This seems somewhat childish now that I look back, but I'm still glad we did it. Anyway, this family behind us was really angry, too. Once we got inside the building and into the narrow corridors, we worked our way back in front of the cutters. The five of us made a line and blocked them from cutting in front of us again. Believe me they tried, too. I felt bad at first because I thought maybe they didn't understand English, but they did. They would switch back and forth between English and French. They were saying rude things about us in French. As my husband and I were about to board, I turned around and said "I speak French, too" in perfect French to them. Their faces were awesome! All of the those years of French in school finally paid off!

It did indeed lol that was a good story.

Disney_Belle

I haven't seen anything that really compares to some of the stories on here. One of them I recall however, is waiting for Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade at AK in 2000. While looking for a seat we walked past a restroom, and found a mom with her daughter who was about 2 1/2 - 3 years old. The little girl ate something that she apparently did not like, and looked like she was ready to throw up. So her mom picked her up, and held her over a water bubbler (drinking fountain:animwink:) nearby, and she proceeded to empty whatever it was she ate into the water bubbler and her mom just rinsed it down the drain!!!! :hurl: The restroom was right there, and I completely understand that she may not have made it to the bathroom even with the restrooms being so close, but she could have at least thrown up into a bush or something, not the bubbler! I mean people drink from those!!! YUCK!!! I felt bad for the little girl though :(

unclemike

After the fireworks in the Magic Kingdom right on main street the lady behind us in her electric wheelchair or whatever it was kept using the horn. It was so packed that everyone inched toward the exit like usual. Well I turned and gave her a look:veryconfu and she honked again and again she was very rude. Can't believe you could ever be mad or sad anyplace in Disney World:shrug:

Sad

Bug715

I have just read through the whole thread for the past hour at least. I can't believe half of the stories. I remember hearing somewhere (maybe here) about a baggie of *number 2* or a baggie with a diper full of it being left in the line area of Philhar magic. Ewww

The only story I can think of. One night my friend and I were leaving MGM (as it was called at the time) and walking to the cast parking lot when we noticed this little boy standing near a few bushes and his father nearby. My friend said something to me about what he thinks the boy is about to do and I say I don't think so. Well sure enough the kid starts to take a leak as people are passing on foot and on the tram to the parking lot. I was shocked because they were lest than 10 feet away from a restroom that my friend had just used and wasn't too crowded.

At least parents at WDW make me know what not to do when I have kids of my own. Seriously buying that little girl the dress after the tantrum?! That's like my aunt telling my little cousin to get on the elevator with us right then (the doors were about to shut and we didn't want to leave her alone) or she wouldn't get ice cream. We had to hold the door open button and drag my cousin onto the elevator. Yes she still got the ice cream. I was shocked. Ummm hello?! No wonder she acts the way she does sometimes.

the-reason14

After the fireworks in the Magic Kingdom right on main street the lady behind us in her electric wheelchair or whatever it was kept using the horn. It was so packed that everyone inched toward the exit like usual. Well I turned and gave her a look:veryconfu and she honked again and again she was very rude. Can't believe you could ever be mad or sad anyplace in Disney World:shrug:

Sad

There was a vid on youtube about an old lady doing just that. Itd be kinda funny if that was her.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I haven't seen anything that really compares to some of the stories on here. One of them I recall however, is waiting for Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade at AK in 2000. While looking for a seat we walked past a restroom, and found a mom with her daughter who was about 2 1/2 - 3 years old. The little girl ate something that she apparently did not like, and looked like she was ready to throw up. So her mom picked her up, and held her over a water bubbler nearby, and she proceeded to empty whatever it was she ate into the water bubbler and her mom just rinsed it down the drain!!!! :hurl: The restroom was right there, and I completely understand that she may not have made it to the bathroom even with the restrooms being so close, but she could have at least thrown up into a bush or something, not the bubbler! I mean people drink from those!!! YUCK!!! I felt bad for the little girl though :(
So your water bubbler=my drinking fountain, right? :veryconfu

The Mom

Premium Member
So your water bubbler=my drinking fountain, right? :veryconfu

Correct. Bubbler (pronounced bubbla) = drinking fountain. It's a localized New England thing; I know it's used in MA & RI, but not sure about further north (ME, VT, NH) or west (CT)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom