Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

Scott951

Original Poster
I love reading those threads where we talk about what is your favorite, most disgusting, most embarrasing, most magical (etc.) moments in Disney World. I thought I would start a similar type of thread.

Have you ever seen somebody do anything in Disney World so outrageous, so jaw-dropping, and so out there that literally stopped you in your tracks and made you ask yourself if you really saw what you just saw (good or bad)?

One situation that comes to mind for me happened in March 2007. My wife and I were returning to the Contemporary resort via the monorail after a full day at Epcot. While waiting in line for a monorail, there was a family of four a few spots in front of us (Mom, Dad, Boy - 9ish, Girl - 5ish). Well, the older boy was leaning on the metal chains. The Mom asked him to stop. He did for all of 10 seconds and then proceeded to lean on the chains again. Well, the Mom did not appreciate it much. She proceeded to take off her belt, yell at her son that she had enough, and began whipping the boy with the belt right there in front of everyone. You could tell who wore the pants in the family because the Dad was looking away trying to ignore the whole thing. While this was going on (throughout the 4-5 lashes lovingly bestowed on the Boy), the little girl was singing happily that her brother was getting the belt. Are there people out there really like that? Did I really just see that?

Talk about making everyone on the plaform feel uncomfortable, not to mention how awful we all felt for the Boy, who was hysterically crying. A man standing next to them told her to stop, and she then lashed out verbally at the man to mind his own business. And wouldn't you know it? They sat in the same car as us.

(off topic - has there ever been a thought of opening an additonal forum for these types of "favorite" posts so we don't have to sift through multiple pages in the General Discussion forum?)

abbeysmom

I am surprised that the women did that in public. :eek: My mother would be in jail today for child abuse if we were growing up now. I am 50 and that is how my mother disiplined me and my brother growing up. I had welps on my legs from the belt. And it doesn't surprise me that when someone said something to her she told them to mind their own business. You can only imagine what the poor child gets in private at home. :(

Laura

Premium Member
I love reading those threads where we talk about what is your favorite, most disgusting, most embarrasing, most magical (etc.) moments in Disney World. I thought I would start a similar type of thread.

Have you ever seen somebody do anything in Disney World so outrageous, so jaw-dropping, and so out there that literally stopped you in your tracks and made you ask yourself if you really saw what you just saw (good or bad)?

One situation that comes to mind for me happened in March 2007. My wife and I were returning to the Contemporary resort via the monorail after a full day at Epcot. While waiting in line for a monorail, there was a family of four a few spots in front of us (Mom, Dad, Boy - 9ish, Girl - 5ish). Well, the older boy was leaning on the metal chains. The Mom asked him to stop. He did for all of 10 seconds and then proceeded to lean on the chains again. Well, the Mom did not appreciate it much. She proceeded to take off her belt, yell at her son that she had enough, and began whipping the boy with the belt right there in front of everyone. You could tell who wore the pants in the family because the Dad was looking away trying to ignore the whole thing. While this was going on (throughout the 4-5 lashes lovingly bestowed on the Boy), the little girl was singing happily that her brother was getting the belt. Are there people out there really like that? Did I really just see that?

Talk about making everyone on the plaform feel uncomfortable, not to mention how awful we all felt for the Boy, who was hysterically crying. A man standing next to them told her to stop, and she then lashed out verbally at the man to mind his own business. And wouldn't you know it? They sat in the same car as us.

(off topic - has there ever been a thought of opening an additonal forum for these types of "favorite" posts so we don't have to sift through multiple pages in the General Discussion forum?)

WOW!

I may have contacted security over that one. Screaming at your kid and whipping them with a belt because you're angry is child abuse. Hitting ANYONE out of anger is abuse.

It's one thing to take a misbehaving child aside and hand out whatever sort of punishment is necessary in a CALM fashion, but that lady sounded completely out of control.

Philo

That's just crazy. I'm all for keeping your kids in control but what kind of lesson is that teaching them. Clearly it happens a lot in the family if his sister was singing about it

Brwneyedgirl72

Well I have to say that the most embarassing thing at WDW I have experienced, actually happened to me. We were at the MK and my sister in law and I decided to get burgers from Cosmic Rays in Tomorrowland. Well, a couple of hours had passed and we were waiting in line for POTC and I started feeling strange. I managed to get through the line and the ride knowing that the bathroom was not far away. By the time I got off the ride, I knew that I needed to head to first aid. I went ahead of my family and the nurse gave me something to help the nausea and by the time my mom got to first aid - it was all too late. I proceeded to get VERY sick - arguably food poisoning from the burger. :hurl:

After a little while I thought I was ok, so we decided to head back to POP, so we took the ferry from MK to the parking lot (we took our own car because of the strollers and my nephews). Well - lets just say that by the time I got to TTC, I couldn't wait much more. Went to the ladies room, got sick again. I thought - stupidly - that I was ok and we were waiting for the tram when it hit me again. Rather than throwing up all over the place, I didn't want for anyone to have to see me get sick so I ran to the closest garbage can, literaly stuck my head in it and threw up. I was mortified - all of the people around me watching me puke in a garbage can. To this day - whenever my family passes that garbage can we have a good laugh. I have even taken "re-inactment" photos of that FUN day. While I understand that you can't help getting sick - I just really wish it hadn't happened in front of hundreds of people!!!!

Needless to say - I haven't eaten at Cosmic Rays since!

LetsGoAgain

Just think what happens at home behind closed doors??? Those poor children.

I can't think of anything that really caught me off guard when we were there. No one really cut line. No one was rude. No one tried to run me over with a stroller (I had my own double stroller to fend them on anyway!). My DH almost caused a scene when the CM wouldn't let my 3yo on Soarin. She measured her 5 times at least and her head grazed the measuring stick and my daughter kept looking up to see what was going on. It was a mess. They wouldn't let her on even though she was tall enough for Splash earlier that day.. in the same shoes to boot! I got him under control though.. thankfully! I was like, "Come on, we are in Disney World! Are you really going to let that ruin our day?".

The Disney Kid

WOW!

I may have contacted security over that one. Screaming at your kid and whipping them with a belt because you're angry is child abuse. Hitting ANYONE out of anger is abuse.

It's one thing to take a misbehaving child aside and hand out whatever sort of punishment is necessary in a CALM fashion, but that lady sounded completely out of control.

I agree. I don't mind corporeal punishment, I used it raising my kids, but never in anger.... And never in public. That shames the kid and hurts it's self image. Not to mention making everyone else uncomfortable.

EPCOT Explorer

Well I have to say that the most embarassing thing at WDW I have experienced, actually happened to me. We were at the MK and my sister in law and I decided to get burgers from Cosmic Rays in Tomorrowland. Well, a couple of hours had passed and we were waiting in line for POTC and I started feeling strange. I managed to get through the line and the ride knowing that the bathroom was not far away. By the time I got off the ride, I knew that I needed to head to first aid. I went ahead of my family and the nurse gave me something to help the nausea and by the time my mom got to first aid - it was all too late. I proceeded to get VERY sick - arguably food poisoning from the burger. :hurl:

After a little while I thought I was ok, so we decided to head back to POP, so we took the ferry from MK to the parking lot (we took our own car because of the strollers and my nephews). Well - lets just say that by the time I got to TTC, I couldn't wait much more. Went to the ladies room, got sick again. I thought - stupidly - that I was ok and we were waiting for the tram when it hit me again. Rather than throwing up all over the place, I didn't want for anyone to have to see me get sick so I ran to the closest garbage can, literaly stuck my head in it and threw up. I was mortified - all of the people around me watching me puke in a garbage can. To this day - whenever my family passes that garbage can we have a good laugh. I have even taken "re-inactment" photos of that FUN day. While I understand that you can't help getting sick - I just really wish it hadn't happened in front of hundreds of people!!!!

Needless to say - I haven't eaten at Cosmic Rays since!

That's my fave resturant....Eeeesh.:lookaroun

Honestly though,I woulda complained.Disney is better and more responsible than that.

Ilovewishes

The only thing that has raised eyebrows from us was when we were coming out of the pin store near the shooting range at MK (name escapes me) and we saw a mum steering a young lad into the shop (boy about 7ish) and the kid was in floods of tears and just stammering over and over "Please don't hurt me, please, please don't hurt me".:lookaroun

Last edited by a moderator:
We were at POP in the food court for dinner and I don't remember what the exact time was but like mid afternoon probably. Well, my family got there food and stuff and we were in line to pay. Well the father of this family of five in front of us starts pitching a fit. He asked if he could have the last piece of fish and they gave it to him, and he also got another meal. Well he got up to the cash register and started pitching a fit beacuse they wouldn't give him the fish free. He was yelling "this is bull****" at the top of his lungs. It was rediculous and I had to control myself from laughing my head off. People get worked up over the simplest and stupidest things.

hrcollectibles

During my trip last month I was waiting inline at the Buzz Light year attraction and struck up a conversation with the family in front of me, I tend to make friends where ever i go. Well we were in the cue outside and the lady in front of me just stated to stare at the side of the show building next to some trees I turned around and there were these 2 boys, ummm watering the concrete :lookaroun. Needless to say I think we were all in shock

EPCOT Explorer

I was doing my thing in the Mens Bathroom by The UK pavillion when suddenly a Woman came running in and proceeded to vomit in the urinal right next to me.

Ya gotta Love night time at World Showcase during the Food and Wine Festival.:rolleyes:

Yow...So much for Cultural Event at Epcot.:rolleyes:

Brwneyedgirl72

That's my fave resturant....Eeeesh.:lookaroun

Honestly though,I woulda complained.Disney is better and more responsible than that.

You have to make a report when you go to first aid, and we told guest relations at the hotel what had happened, but Disney didn't do anything. I wasn't expecting anything, and by the next afternoon I was feeling better, but it wasn't a very good night. Bottom line - it happens and can happen to anyone, so you get over it and just try to enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Expo_Seeker40

it was either last year or the year before that, we were taking the monorail from MK through the contemporary, and some older man with a cane and his wife who were packed into the cabin along with all of us, got off the monorail and started yelling at a female CM who was cleaning the balcony and had nothing to do or even know what was going on with this man's situation.

She looked very upset to be confronted by this man just yelling at her about how "No one knows anything around here!"

I wish I saw the woman's nametag, I would have emailed disney and hoped she was ok :(

Tinkerbella16

I was doing my thing in the Mens Bathroom by The UK pavillion when suddenly a Woman came running in and proceeded to vomit in the urinal right next to me.

Ya gotta Love night time at World Showcase during the Food and Wine Festival.:rolleyes:

I would have cried if someone did that right near me....Literally cried! :hurl:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom