Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

Scott951

Original Poster
It's 90 in Jersey today? Wow, I live pretty close and it's pretty cold and rainy here. Weird.

I find it an extreme overreaction to call 911 for a parked car with school-age kids in it with the mother in the area, but at least everything turned out fine...

AEfx

According to statistics posted on the website for Hyperthermia Deaths of Children in Vehicles, the inside temperature of a vehicle will rise 19 degrees in 10 minutes (and more if the inside of the car is a dark interior). I just checked Weather.com and indeed it was 86 degrees yesterday here in NJ where my wife (Eliezrah) and I live (not sure in NJ where YOU were). Simple math shows that it was 105 degrees in the car, if not more since my wife observed this for at least 10 minutes and who knows how much longer the kids were actually in the car.

Try locking yourself in a car at 105 degrees. Not to mention that it was humid outside. Not to mention that you are not a child who is 5-8 years old. Pretty uncomfortable, huh?

Bottom line is that this woman put her kids in danger all for the fun of having a smoke and BSing on the phone. When her kid opened the door to say they were hot, she yelled at them to go back into the oven.

If you don't think this is wrong, then in my opinion, you are no better than some of the parents mentioned in this thread.

OK, end of "sticking up for my wife doing the right thing by calling 911" mode.

I now bring you back to your regulary scheduled program of showing the bizarre behaviors in WDW. These stories are captivating to say the least. Keep them coming.

Sam02

I live in MO and it is a criminal offense to leave your children in the car unattended for any length of time. I should know my idiot of a sister got caught doing it. How many times have we heard of children DYING when left alone in a car while mom or dad just ran into the store to grab something and then lost track of time or forgot they had a child in the car.

Cars turn into ovens even when the outside temp is only in the 80's. Small children can easily succumb to the extreme heat. Their bodies, and senior citizens, are the most frail. Why do you think we always hear warnings geared to the very young and the very old?

I also grew up being left in cars while my mom went into the store, and yes I'm just fine now too. But we lived in different times and what was considered okay back then is not considered okay today and I say Thank God! I'm glad the poster called 911, somebody had to look after those kids when mom obviously felt like she didn't have to.

sweetpee_1993

If I can shed some light here...

We encourage anyone/everyone to dial 911 when they feel the need. More calls=higher call volume=adding personnel=job security!:lol:

But, on the other hand, we absolutely hate the idiotic calls (dog barking in the middle of the day-it's a dog! that's what dogs do!):fork:

This situation...lucky there weren't 2 911 calls. Or just 1 911 call for an "irate customer" in the store wanting to use the phone. We've had those before.

Anyway, when you call 911, the person on the other end of the line is a "call taker," not a dispatcher. The call taker takes the information, enters it into CAD (computer aided dispatch), and ships it off to the appropriate desk(s) for dispatch. Then, the fire dispatcher or ems dispatcher or pd dispatcher will look at the call and send the appropriate resource. For a call taker to say something like "we'll send a car out immediately" isn't appropriate, because that call taker does not always know what is going on with the police and if they have a car that is a)available and/or b)close by to respond "immediately." More than likely, the call taker said something like, "OK, we'll get the police out there," or, "The police have the call/info."

So, yeah, dial away! I need more OT!:wave:

Although I personally worked for a larger agency, there are many smaller agencies where the calltaker is also the dispatcher and running their own NCIC. My hat was always off to the folks who worked this way. It amazed me. You are right in that telling a caller "someone will be there right away" is wrong because a calltaker has no clue what is actually going on out on the streets and if there will be a unit available to be in that caller's location right away. Promising what you don't know hangs you wide open for liability. I wouldn't necessarily say "call away" though because where I worked our biggest problem was always having enough warm bodies to work communications. The intense stress coupled with low pay and crappy treatment by the public and other divisions within the agency made it near impossible to keep people around long enough to train them much less ask them to work overtime. When our shifts were short that only spelled more stress for those who did show up. :hammer:

My favorite calls were the ones where "a cat is stuck in a tree". These folks are totally adamant that the cat is truly stuck. LOL! If logic wasn't accepted by these people generally the fix was the question, "Ma'am, when was the last time you saw a cat skeleton in a tree?" :shrug:

sweetpee_1993

I live in MO and it is a criminal offense to leave your children in the car unattended for any length of time. I should know my idiot of a sister got caught doing it. How many times have we heard of children DYING when left alone in a car while mom or dad just ran into the store to grab something and then lost track of time or forgot they had a child in the car.

Cars turn into ovens even when the outside temp is only in the 80's. Small children can easily succumb to the extreme heat. Their bodies, and senior citizens, are the most frail. Why do you think we always hear warnings geared to the very young and the very old?

I also grew up being left in cars while my mom went into the store, and yes I'm just fine now too. But we lived in different times and what was considered okay back then is not considered okay today and I say Thank God! I'm glad the poster called 911, somebody had to look after those kids when mom obviously felt like she didn't have to.

I have to agree. My parents never put me in a car seat in the car either. Although I'm still technically alive and not damaged in any way by this practice, I never allowed either of my kiddos to ride in any car without being secured in an appropriate car seat for their age/weight/size. ;)

AEfx

Bottom line is that this woman put her kids in danger all for the fun of having a smoke and BSing on the phone. When her kid opened the door to say they were hot, she yelled at them to go back into the oven.

If you don't think this is wrong, then in my opinion, you are no better than some of the parents mentioned in this thread.

Thankfully, your opinion of me (someone I have never met before and will likely never read anything from again) isn't going to keep me up at night. :)

Your amateur math nonwithstanding, calling 911 on a parent who is in sight of her child, no matter what you think of her activities (both you and your wife keep harping on cell phone/cigarette, who cares what she was doing, it's irrelevant, she was watching the vehicle) seems like an extreme overreaction to some of us. Instead of thinking "gee I should call the police! this is an emergency!", perhaps talking to the woman might have helped? You see, to many, police are to be called as a last resort, not the first time you THINK you see something objectionable.

That's my opinion, you have yours. Sorry, though, I have to go - see I am starting therapy today because I just found out I was abused as a child when I was school-aged and sat in the car a few times alone. I just thank God that we didn't have parking-patrol people sitting and watching cars for as long as your wife seemed to sit in this one, because I might have been taken away!

AEfx

Scott951

Original Poster
That's my opinion, you have yours. Sorry, though, I have to go - see I am starting therapy today because I just found out I was abused as a child when I was school-aged and sat in the car a few times alone. AEfx

Good luck with the therapy. Let me know how it turns out.

I have so many comebacks for what you wrote, but it is just not worth it. You're not worth it. Based on other threads on this board, you appearently do not know how to play nice in the sandbox with other kids. Hey, I just gave you something else to talk about in your therapy sessions.

Your opinion seems to be in the minority here. Let's just leave it at that.

Sorry everyone for the derailment here. Carry on.

Scott951

Original Poster
A comeback to what?

I simply said that I think calling the police instead of talking to the person first was an overreaction.

/shrug

AEfx

As my wife already mentioned, this lady wasn't exactly the nicest lady out there. She angrily yelled at her kids to get back into a hot car. What do you think she would have said to my wife?

eliezrah

Try locking yourself in a car at 105 degrees. Not to mention that it was humid outside. Not to mention that you are not a child who is 5-8 years old. Pretty uncomfortable, huh?

OK, end of "sticking up for my wife doing the right thing by calling 911" mode.
My hero! LOL

Thank you!! It's illegal here as well.

I have to agree. My parents never put me in a car seat in the car either. Although I'm still technically alive and not damaged in any way by this practice, I never allowed either of my kiddos to ride in any car without being secured in an appropriate car seat for their age/weight/size. ;)
I agree as well. We actually just had this conversation yesterday with our parents. Just because something was considered safe and ok to do 25-30 years ago (or however long ago it was) doesn't mean it's still considered safe today. My grandmother brought my twin aunts home from the hospital in a laundry basket on the floor of their car. You'd get arrested and have your kids taken away from you for doing that today since time and research has shown it's dangerous.

And for the record, the 911 person did say "We'll send someone right out to take a look."

Thankfully, your opinion of me (someone I have never met before and will likely never read anything from again) isn't going to keep me up at night. :)

Your amateur math nonwithstanding, calling 911 on a parent who is in sight of her child, no matter what you think of her activities (both you and your wife keep harping on cell phone/cigarette, who cares what she was doing, it's irrelevant, she was watching the vehicle) seems like an extreme overreaction to some of us. Instead of thinking "gee I should call the police! this is an emergency!", perhaps talking to the woman might have helped? You see, to many, police are to be called as a last resort, not the first time you THINK you see something objectionable.

That's my opinion, you have yours. Sorry, though, I have to go - see I am starting therapy today because I just found out I was abused as a child when I was school-aged and sat in the car a few times alone. I just thank God that we didn't have parking-patrol people sitting and watching cars for as long as your wife seemed to sit in this one, because I might have been taken away!

AEfx
This is the last time I'll respond to you since you obviously think you are right and I was wrong and northing's going to change your opinion, which is fine by me, and I don't feel like beating a dead horse.

The fact of the matter is that it was VERY hot and humid and the mother left her kids in an enclosed car, which is illegal in this state. This is not something that I just "think is objectionable." It's ILLEGAL in Jersey. I did also mention that she WAS NOT watching them while she was doing her own thing. She only knew they were trying to get out of the car since they called out to her. That's the only thing that made her look up at the car.

As for me "patrolling" the parking lot, I was leaving to go home and my mother and I happened to notice it as we drove by. As concerned citizens seeing children possibly placed in danger, we watched for a few minutes to see if the mother would act responsibly and take care of her children, which she did not. Imagine how devastated I would have been to have done nothing and then read in today's paper about 2 kids with heat exhaustion after being left in the car.

As Scott said to you, which was repeating what I wrote yesterday, the way the woman was screaming at her kids, I didn't think it was safe or a good idea for me to go up to her and tell her she was endangering her kids and/or doing something illegal. Who knows where that cigarette would have ended up.

And my last point, then I'm done with this, is that I mentioned it was in a busy parking lot and she was all the way across the street from them. So what if she was watching the car (which I already said she wasn't). If the kids jumped out and tried to cross the street to get to her, they could have gotten hit by a car (I don't care what you think, no 5 year old is old enough to cross a busy parking lot street alone and most 8 year olds aren't either).

AEfx

As my wife already mentioned, this lady wasn't exactly the nicest lady out there. She angrily yelled at her kids to get back into a hot car. What do you think she would have said to my wife?

Her "kids"? Wait, your wife keeps changing her story. First it was "kids", and she made it seem as if it was babies, and then it was one school aged child.

So, was the woman screaming and yelling at her kid, or did she just say once "stay in the car" loud enough to be heard?

Look, I'm sure your wife is a lovely person, but when you post something like that on a message board you are going to get reactions. I'm sorry, but running in and phoning the police was an extreme step to me, and I just would have handled the situation differently myself.

A five year old kid sitting in a car in full view of his/her mother, no matter if she was evilly smoking or not, isn't an emergency to me. If the child was abandoned, maybe, but when the parent is right there...it just seems like a huge overreaction to me.

/shrug

I haven't judged anyone personally, just reacting to this constantly changing story that was posted to "shock" us. You have judged me as a person based on my opinion, I have refrained from doing that to you - simply trying to get the facts beyond the "SAVE THE CHILDREN!" rhetoric.

AEfx

eliezrah

I lied, this is my last post on the subject.... Granted this article is from 2004, the information still holds today.... This is from the State of NJ website so it's not made up.
Fact Sheet:

• When the temperature outside is in the 90's, a closed automobile can heat up to 125 degrees in 10 minutes.
• At a body temperature between 103 and 105 degrees, both children and adults will show significant signs of heat-related stress.
• A body temperature of 105 degrees or above can be life threatening.
• Heat stroke can lead to permanent brain damage or death in a matter of minutes.
• According to the nonprofit group KIDS IN CARS which monitors media reports of children being left in cars, already this year – 2004 - there have been 78 incidents involving 100 children nationwide who have been left unattended in or around cars, resulting, in 20 deaths. The infant death in Lakewood , New Jersey on May 20 th makes that total 21 deaths nationally in less than half a year.
• In 2003, Kids In Cars tracked incidents with children left unattended in or around vehicles at 563 incidents involving 696 kids, with 130 fatalities nationally.
• Each summer, the state Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS) receives several referrals of children being left unattended in cars, all across the state.
• There were two child deaths in East Orange , New Jersey last summer of 2003. The father of the two young boys pleaded guilty on May 25, 2004 , to involuntary manslaughter for causing their deaths by leaving them inside a vehicle in 90-degree heat.
• In early July, 2002, a three-year old was left unattended in a parking lot in Franklin Township , Hunterdon County

• Three people with developmental disabilities required medical treatment in early summer of 2002, after they were left unattended in a van parked outside a shopping center in Edison .
• In 2002, Kids In Cars reported 434 incidents involving 591 children left unattended in or around vehicles, resulting in 115 deaths nationally.
• In 2001, Kids In Cars reported 503 children being left alone with 104 deaths; at least 35 of these were the result of children being left in hot cars.
• In the summer of 2000, a mother left her one-year old in a car in Newton , Sussex County.
• In 1998, a mother in Lakewood left her baby unattended in a car and the baby died.
If you see a child or a person with disabilities left alone in a car, report it immediately to store personnel, the police, or DYFS at 1-800-792-8610.
• NOTE: Currently no Federal of State agency is collecting information related to deaths and injuries that occur as non-traffic incidents on public or private property.

So you see, Scott's math was correct, I was right in thinking how hot it must have been inside that car, and I was right to call 911. I may have prevented a serious illness or death by doing what I did and I'm proud to have done it!

eliezrah

Her "kids"? Wait, your wife keeps changing her story. First it was "kids", and she made it seem as if it was babies, and then it was one school aged child.

So, was the woman screaming and yelling at her kid, or did she just say once "stay in the car" loud enough to be heard?

Look, I'm sure your wife is a lovely person, but when you post something like that on a message board you are going to get reactions. I'm sorry, but running in and phoning the police was an extreme step to me, and I just would have handled the situation differently myself.

A five year old kid sitting in a car in full view of his/her mother, no matter if she was evilly smoking or not, isn't an emergency to me. If the child was abandoned, maybe, but when the parent is right there...it just seems like a huge overreaction to me.

/shrug

I haven't judged anyone personally, just reacting to this constantly changing story that was posted to "shock" us. You have judged me as a person based on my opinion, I have refrained from doing that to you - simply trying to get the facts beyond the "SAVE THE CHILDREN!" rhetoric.

AEfx
When has my story ever change? Read back to all my posts.. I said numerous times there were 2 kids. One seemed to be about 8 and the other about 5. You said a school aged kid is fine to be left alone and that's when I talked about just the 5 year old. I never once changed my story. Thanks for insinuating I was lying. And again, the parent was NOT right there. But whatever. I'm so glad I'm not your kid. Oh, and she was SCREAMING nastily for them to get back in the car since she was on the phone.

AEfx

So you see, Scott's math was correct, I was right in thinking how hot it must have been inside that car, and I was right to call 911. I may have prevented a serious illness or death by doing what I did and I'm proud to have done it!

I'm honestly glad for you.

As I said in my first post, I'm glad nothing happened, and I don't think this person was mother of the year.

I guess we have a different definition of "unattended", and in our understanding of school-aged children.

However, with you and your repeated postings, it seems it's not us you are trying to convince here, but I am glad you have come to what you believe is a positive conclusion.

AEfx

JustPlainBill

IMHO, call 911...let the police decide if it was necessary or not, better to do so then not get involved, and let a possible tragedy occur. It may not always be wise to confront the person yourself, best to let the professionals do their jobs, and assist if needed.

sublimesting

My OMG moment was in Sept 06. Our grand gathering group was at DTD and we had just come out of the store and the kids were showing off their new toys, etc. My DD2 was in the double stroller and from behind me I hear a lady saying "oh, oh, oh". We all turn around an older lady is heading right for us in her motorized scooter! She couldn't figure out how to stop the thing because she was loaded down with bags from the store. She ran right into our stroller, destroying it! Luckily my cousin grabbed my DD out of the stroller just in time! It took 4 grown men to stop this woman in her scooter. She ran over my DS bag with his new toys in it, but store employees saw what happened and replaced his new DVD he had bought. It turns out that she was with her family and they kept on piling her with their packages while they shopped for more!!! Thank God nobody was hurt, just really shook up!:(

There was a post on this thread from what seems to be the opposite point of view. The person's grandmother got her bags caught on the scooter and it was going faster and faster until she slammed into an emtpy stroller. I tried to find the posting but couldn't.....maybe it's the same person.:lookaroun

Scott951

Original Poster
Back on topic.....

Here is another thing I couldn't believe I saw:

On my honeymoon aboard the Disney Magic back in 2002, I was startled to see my specific cruise featured as the lead story on CNN. Turns out our cruise was the infamous cruise that started the whole Norwalk virus scare. We got a letter under our door that morning telling us to make sure we wash our hands, but I did not expect to see it being reported on CNN. With us being only a year post 9/11, the first thought was terrorism.

Luckily my wife and I were fine. When we got home, our parents gave us a tongue lashing about not calling them from the boat to say we were OK. I wasn't aware we had to call them to inform them that we were not puking our guts out. :ROFLOL:

imamouse

I've seen a lot of insane stuff at WDW, too. I think it comes with the territory. There's masses of children, families, etc. Throw in the heat, unavoidable exhaustion, and stress and there's bound to be some major melt-downs.

One of my all-time fav's was the day we wandered into Tink's shop outside the castle at MK. As we approached the door we could hear a child screaming having a tantrum. We proceeded to walk in anyway. As we got a few feet in the door we see a little girl, maybe 5-ish screaming, rolling in the floor having one heck of a tantrum. We tried not to stare or give any extra attention to the situation. Our oldest did the whole tantrum thing like that when he was right around 2 but we broke him of it before 3. We didn't want to further the parent's embarrassment. It wasn't long before it got quiet. A few minutes past then we heard more screaming but this time the screaming was on the move. We see the girl with a costume wadded up in her arms full-on running from her mom, weaving and dodging the displays. She was screeching, "I want it! I want it! I want it!" The mom wasn't gaining any ground chasing so she took to trying to cut the little girl off as she weaved the different displays. It was like a cartoon. It was so funny. We still tried not to laugh. I was about to help out the mom by grabbing hold of the kid until mom could get her because I really didn't think mom was going to catch her. At that moment she got hold of her, pried her arms apart so the costume fell out, shoved the kid behind her, picked it up, then bought it. :eek: That's when hubby and I burst into rolls of laughter. Explains why a 5 year old carries on like that. As tempting as it was to go let the mom in on the fact that she just reinforced bad behavior in her kid, we let it go. If she hadn't gotten it by then I'm sure our clue would have gone over her head. :hammer:

In the words of my gramma, "A child will do what they can get away with." So true.

I agree that this is reinforcing the bad behavior, but perhaps during the tantrum the child had soiled the garment? Maybe the mother was purchasing the outfit due to her child's damages to it (which would be the responsible retail thing to do).

eliezrah

Back on topic.....

Here is another thing I couldn't believe I saw:

On my honeymoon aboard the Disney Magic back in 2002, I was startled to see my specific cruise featured as the lead story on CNN. Turns out our cruise was the infamous cruise that started the whole Norwalk virus scare. We got a letter under our door that morning telling us to make sure we wash our hands, but I did not expect to see it being reported on CNN. With us being only a year post 9/11, the first thought was terrorism.

Luckily my wife and I were fine. When we got home, our parents gave us a tongue lashing about not calling them from the boat to say we were OK. I wasn't aware we had to call them to inform them that we were not puking our guts out. :ROFLOL:
Remember all the tv crews we saw as we got off the ship?

sublimesting

When has my story ever change? Read back to all my posts.. I said numerous times there were 2 kids. One seemed to be about 8 and the other about 5. You said a school aged kid is fine to be left alone and that's when I talked about just the 5 year old. I never once changed my story. Thanks for insinuating I was lying. And again, the parent was NOT right there. But whatever. I'm so glad I'm not your kid. Oh, and she was SCREAMING nastily for them to get back in the car since she was on the phone.

On a positive note: at least she wasn't smoking in the car with the kid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom