Bed Bugs at WDW

New2WDW

So before this thread I had no idea what a bed bug looked like and the first imagie I saw was of the spider! :eek: I about freaked! LOL :lol: Now if you will excuse me I have some household chores to attend to.
*Goes and washes bed sheets*

:lol: This got me thinking....the next time I request my Resort it will be..
All Star Movies Resort
Dalmation Building
Courtyard View
Non-Smoking
Non-Bed bug amenities!

Philo

When we stayed at on I-drive January 2007 (I posted a review of it in the off-site section) both myself and my girlfriend were bitten ALOT by bed bugs. It was pretty disgusting although we were having such a good time in Florida that we didn't bother complaining. Maybe we're too laid back because there were around 50 bites on each of us on the first night. After that I checked the sheets each night, got rid of as many as possible, sprayed repellant all over the sheets and us and from then on we only got a few bites each night.

disneydopey

I read the story on www.doingflorida.com where they said it was being explained by local officials that one of the main causes for the increased problem of bugs is because of more international travellers!!!!!!

Sorry but I assure you all clothes are nicely washed and ironed before entering the US and the whole family certainly has a shower before flying....honest!:ROFLOL:

GeminiAngel

Hi all. Living in Vegas and working in the hotel industry has taught some of us to always check the room BEFORE bringing in your luggage. For years, on every vacation I take I always check the matress and look in the night stand for white powder. The powder indicates that the room has been recently treaded.

Well upon our first trip to WDW in April 2007 we stayed at POR. We were checked in and given a room in building 37. As usual the family waited outside (Hubby said I hit that room like Delta Force:ROFLOL:), well well I found the little critters. For the first time ever I had a room with bedbugs. I called the front desk and a battle ensued, Telling me the hotel was full and we could not be moved till morning. After a long talk with the manager and demanding to be moved to another resort if they could not find me another room. I was upgraded to a water view in a CLEAN room in building 25. I did not recieve any discounts or free anything for the complete lack of customer service I recieved. I really had to plead my case to get moved :mad:. After I got home, I wrote a letter to Disney, nothing happened.

Philo

I read the story on www.doingflorida.com where they said it was being explained by local officials that one of the main causes for the increased problem of bugs is because of more international travellers!!!!!!

Sorry but I assure you all clothes are nicely washed and ironed before entering the US and the whole family certainly has a shower before flying....honest!:ROFLOL:

Well, it just doesn't feel like home unless you bring a family of bed bugs with you:ROFLOL:

earldw28

Original Poster
Thanks for the report 'chicken little'....

Seriously people I think your all overreacting about bed bugs... This is probably an 'alleged incident' that has been blown out of proportion... Or some people who had some bad run in's with some other pests on property... or like some other posters mentioned, they brought them with them...

Also... you've got more things to worry about then some bugs when your sleeping on a mattress that's been shared by thousands of people...

Also, wdwinfo reported that the sky was falling two weeks ago! HA!!

Still cant find anywhere on wdwinfo where they reported the sky was falling are you going to post a link to that story.:lookaroun

LeeLee D

Naw, they are pretty tiny....now the camel spiders over in the middle east those are big.:eek:

camel_spider.jpg
Please, please, please Master Yoda, please tell me you PhotoShopped this ......please.......

Oh, bother, there's no emotocon to convey sheer terror

cm1988

Florida Residents

The famed Palmetto bug had preceded me into two WDW resort rooms. Once at the Polynesian, and another time at the Contemporary (South wing).

Both were dead, just lying on the carpet with their little feet in the air. I didn't even call the front desk, I guess because I've lived in Florida for 20 years and pretty much understand that Disney World is in Florida.

The other day, back home, a rattlesnake curled up in my carport, near the back door. It rattled at me as I stepped out of the car. That time, I freaked!

wedway71

Please, please, please Master Yoda, please tell me you PhotoShopped this ......please.......

Dont want to speak for Master Yoda but.......

I was in Desert Storm in 91-US AIR FORCE and they are real.

First time I saw one I screamed like a girl.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I was not the original photographer but to my knowledge there is no photoshop work done on the picture but there are a few angle tricks in that photo to help amplify the size. First of all there are 2 spiders stuck together and the guy in the background makes them appear a little bigger. However in reality these things are very huge growing to about 6 inches in length.

RatherBinDisney

Advice

I have seen and been through this before. Here are some tips:

-USE LUGGAGE RACKS FOR YOU LUGGAGE, DO NOT SIT BAGS ON THE FLOOR
-WHEN YOU CHECK IN INSPECT THE MATTRESS. IF IT HAS A PILLOW TOP ON IT LOOK UNDER THE SEEMS. IF THE BEDS HAS DUST RUFFLES LOOK THRU ALL OF THE CORNERS. IF YOU SEE A REDISH RESIDUE OR SMALL BROWN SPECS THAT MOVE VERY SLOW YOU HAVE BED BUGS!
-THEY LOVE TO HIDE BEHIND AND UNDER THE RIM OF HEAD BOARDS. IF HEAD BOARD IS MOUNTED TO THE WALL LOOK BEHIND IT IF IT COMES OFF. 10 TIMES OUT OF 10 IF A ROOM HAS BED BUGS YOU WILL SEE THEM THERE FIRST!
-LYSOL DOESNT KILL THEM, RAIS DOESNT KILL THEM. YOU WILL NEED TO CALL IN THE PROFFESIONALS TO GET RID OF THESE BUGGERS! SOMETIMES NUMEROUS APPLICATIONS HAVE TO BE DONE BEFORE THEY ARE GONE. COULD TAKE A WEEK COULD TAKE A MONTH.
-THEY LIKE DARK PLACES AND USUALLY WHEN THEY COME OUT AT NIGHT THEY WILL BITE EXPOSED AREAS. MAKES YOU THINK TWICE ABOUT NOT WEARING A SHIRT TO BED DOESNT IT!

SOME PEOPLE WILL HAVE A REACTION AND SOME PEOPLE DONT. MOST WILL HOWEVER. THEY ARE QUITE HARMLESS BUT CAN MAKE YOU FEEL VERY UNCOMFORTABLE FOR AT LEAST A WEEK. THE PICTURES POSTED EARLIER IN THE THREAD ARE FOR REAL!!

maryszhi

two summers my cousins went and stayed at a dvc villa........they found bugs everywhere...and it was really dirty...disney switced their room... i felt really bad b/c that has never happened to me before

BRER STITCH

Prevention

If bedbugs are already present in your home, you can help ward off bites by wearing nightclothes that cover as much skin as possible.

To help prevent bedbugs from becoming residents in your home:

• Inspect antiques and secondhand furniture thoroughly before bringing them into your home.
  • Employ the regular services of a professional exterminator.
  • Use bed nets impregnated with permethrin to ward off infestation in tropical areas.
  • Inspect any room you're about to inhabit while traveling.
  • After you return from a trip, check your luggage for insects that might have hitched a ride.
  • Change bed linens at least once a week, and wash in hot water of at least 97 F (36 C).
  • Vacuum around the home at least once a week, paying special attention to areas surrounding bed and furniture posts.
  • Caulk holes in floors and walls.
  • Dismantle and either treat with insecticides or discard any old furniture, including bed frames and mattresses. Use insecticide sprays containing dichlorvos, permethrin or malathion around cracks and crevices in your home. Lawn and garden insect control sprays may contain these insecticides. However, professional inspection and extermination may be best.
  • Eliminate any neighboring bird and bat habitats that may serve as a refuge for bedbugs, especially following an extermination attempt.

OR....get this guy -----> :fork: to ZAP them for ya! :eek:

BRER STITCH

Bedbugs will feed on any mammal, including cows and dogs. In North America, migratory birds and bats have been sources of infestation.

More recently, as world travel has increased, bedbugs are finding their way into the home through luggage and clothing worn abroad.

Another contributor to the resurgence of bedbugs in the West is changing pest-control practices. Sixty years ago the common use of DDT — which kills most insects — nearly eliminated bedbugs in the United States.

Today the use of DDT is being phased out due to human toxicity concerns.

Further, current extermination practices are more insect-specific — what's toxic to a cockroach may not kill a bedbug.

:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom