2 resorts, 4 parks, 9 days and a 2 year old...a July trip report

So here I am not even 48 hours back in the DC area, and already missing the place..so I figured what better way to cure my post vacation mode than to start a trip report....

Lets do a quick reminder of who were are.

DSC00308.jpg

Andy, Aleisha and our little man, Logan....I did a pre-trip and by this point I am thinking most of you know who I am...so I won't go to into to much details...I will apologize for the size of the pictures. I can never figure out how to make them any smaller...

The 411: July 15-23rd.
We split the time between both of our home resorts, SSR and BLT...both were studios...

so lets get this trip report started.

disneygirl1

Ahhh So cute!! Logan looked like he was in all his glory at Chef Mickey! You are SO lucky that he is not scared on the characters like so many other kids his age.

foreverbelle

Original Poster
loving the trip report aleisha! the picture of logan asleep in the stroller is precise! are you getting sick of people telling you how adorable logan is?! probably not :lol: he is adorable! i love wdw but i know that i will have a new love for it once i have kids. all of your little moments descriptions had me a little teary eyed. i just know that when i have kids and take them to wdw i will be a mess with emotions the entire time! i am looking forward to reading the rest of your report and hearing your thoughts on blt. i would love to become a dvc member and i think i want blt to be my home resort so i can't wait to hear what you think!

Oh believe me I think there were several teary eyed moments. I felt like a huge ball of emotions throughout the entire thing. Seriously I am like when did I become such a sap???

Oh my your pics of Logan with the characters at Chef Mickey's are so precious! You could have been talking about me when you mentioned the mom with the teenage daughter who teared up watching Logan..........I am so dreading the days when our DD either chooses not to or is simply unable to travel to Disney with us. It's not far away either! I better hush or I'm gonna be crying!:cry: Lovin' your TR and can't wait to read more!

Oh that will be horrible. I know we all went through those stages, but funny thing is I really enjoy the time with my parents now, and have for a long time. Enjoy the moments now.

I just had to stop reading here and comment to the fact that you got me going a little misty here...AWESOME stuff and people really have NO idea what kind of magic they are missing from Disney World.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Ah thanks....and your right they don't have any clue on just how amazing it all is!

foreverbelle

Original Poster
I am all caught up now! Great stuff. The Chef Mickey story is great. Mickey, Pluto and Donald playing cars with him is amazing. I hope he somehow never ever forgets that. That probably made his short life so far.

I hope he never forgets that myself....seriously. But as of now he still talks about the entire trip as though it was yesterday, and he said he wants to be big and ride the big rides....

The pictures of Logan with Mickey, Pluto and Donald... PRICELESS! Seriously, you can't help but smile when looking at them. Makes me love the characters even more, and that's something I didn't think was possible. :lol:

Ah thanks!!! I know I can't help but smile either. And the funny thing is, we didn't realize we could love the characters more than we did.

:sohappy:

I LOVE all of the kids faces watching Logan play with Pluto, they all have on that Christmas morning smile. The fact that they took the time to play with him like that is truly amazing!I can't even imagine what it's like to experience that as a family, I would have been crying my eyes out!!

I know it was funny watching the kids in the background, I think they got a little upset that Mickey played with Logan but yeah. I had some really funny pics with them..

Thanks so much for sharing your trip report. It must have been really something seeing your son getting all excited. Disney is the bestest place on earth that is for sure!!!! :sohappy::sohappy::wave:I can hardly wait to get back there myself. Take Care Lucille

You are quite welcome. It sure is one of the best!

Ahhh So cute!! Logan looked like he was in all his glory at Chef Mickey! You are SO lucky that he is not scared on the characters like so many other kids his age.

Oh he was in glory...funny thing was last year he wanted nothing to do with them what so ever!

foreverbelle

Original Poster
July 21, 2011

Day Seven

We had now hit up all the parks plenty of times. With our vacation now in its final home stretch :( we decided to try and make sure to go back to some of the attractions we hadn't hit or wanted to do again. We realized we had only been to Animal Kingdom once, and we really wanted to try and see the Festival of the Lion King. So we headed to the bus station. And we waited. And waited...

DSC00350.jpg

And waited. This is Logan and I, trying our best to be patient for the bus.

Eventually after four Hollywood buses someone decided to ask, to which they called in and we had two buses show up almost immediately after they called. All that waiting killed and took up a lot of time we had hoped to be spending in the parks. Usually the bus system has never bugged me in the past, but we dif saw the advantage of having the monorail right there, or the ability to walk.

We got to the park and decided to do Africa's walking tour where we met some bi gorilla's and for a lot of animals that didn't want to meet us. Oh well maybe next time. We wanted to do Asia's so we could see Tigers but on our way over there, Logan decided to get a little distracted by the drums so instead of going to see tigers, we hung around and played for awhile. By the sounds of his beating the kid may have a future in music after all...

DSC00374.jpg

I had the song, I dont want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day in my head for the rest of the afternoon.

DSC00376.jpg

'I'm happy mommy!'

DSC00380.jpg

Yours truly enjoying some time in the shade...

Perhaps I haven't mentioned this. But I have a great husband.If I haven't let me mention it right now. I have a great husband who knows that my favorite ride in the whole 'World' is Everet. No matter what mode it may be in. And so he was determined that I ride the favorite at least once while here. So he volunteered to watch little man while I jumped in the single riders line. He had seen on his phone's ap that the line for single riders was about 9 minutes. And it didn't appear to be that bad when I rolled up to it, until that is I rounded the corner. There stood and entire tour group of about 30 plus, and a family of 8. None of them seemed to be getting the concept of a single rider line. For they kept requesting two at a time. When the cast member told them no, and if they wanted to do that they would have to go back through the standby line they got upset. One woman held her daughters hand and said how dare they try to break up a mother and daughter...

I give the cast members props for they stuck to the guns and enforced the policy. I know it was more like a 15 minute wait, but with the whole going back and forth and knowing Andy was waiting, I started feeling really guilty. But I got on, and of course the ride was great, I rode beside a first time roller coaster goer and she loved it. I think the first time riders are always among my favorite. Even if the Yeti isn't working as it once was, it is still a fabulous ride. Especially when the only thing we had ridden for the most part were boat rides..

As much as we wanted to stay, we promised some pool time. So we hit up Flame Tree before making our way back to the resort to check out the pool at Bay Lake for the first time.

DSC00385.jpg

As far as DVC resorts have been we have stayed at a handful, and have enjoyed the pools very much, even if we haven't used them. AKL is among our favorites and is just about a water park in itself as you know. And we had just had a blast at the Paddock pool in SSR. And BLT is no exception. We found it to be wonderful.

That being said what we thought was a little lacking, was the kiddie pool area. Keep in mind the Paddock had that really cool area for Logan which he loved. At BLT the fountains as we called them were nice but wasn't like the pool area at Paddock, and Logan didn't seem as interested in it. He did go in the big boy pool and enjoyed the slide they had over at BLT a little more. We on the other hand loved the big people slide.

DSC00390.jpg

The kiddie slide.

DSC00387.jpg

So much fun!!

After the pool we hit the room and changed.It was time to make our way to MK.

DSC00392.jpg

Of course we had plenty of time before reservations and so we made our way to Its a Small World, since this seems to be the only ride in MK that Logan enjoys in the park at the moment. Dumbo just may have to wait for another year. After Small World, we road the carousel.

We had reservation at Liberty Tree tonight.

I know I know it doesn't have the characters anymore but it still remains on the top of my list. Probably because by this point I have had chicken and fish up the wazoo and so the change is nice. As always I loved it! And once again we had the same chef we have had a couple of times before, he was actually at Le Ceiller before they changed. It is a little weird that I have now been here enough that I am starting to recognize the chefs.

DSC00420.jpg

This is how we ended the day, in full smile.

With tomorrow being our last full day we decided to call it a night. It was early enough to still have daylights, and we were going home....when did we become so old?

erstwo

I'm late to the party too, but I am here! :wave: And loving it!

I am VERY interested to hear your thoughts on Tables in Wonderland vs. the Dining Plan. Everyone raves about TiW, but so far, I've crunched the numbers and it wouldn't be a value for us, even as AP holders. Can't wait for your input!

sweetpee_1993

Such a fun read, Aleisha! Little Man continues to steal my heart. Especially with the character discoveries, I truly do kick myself for not taking the boys when they were that little. And, yes, we are the older couple with the teen (boys in our case) who thoroughly enjoy watching other little ones discover the magic.

Love that BLT room! We love the Contemporary so much. I'll be honest, for warmer trip planning the CR & BLT weren't high on my list of places to stay because I didn't think the pools would be too great. Our 2 stays were in December & January so we didn't swim. Loved hearing your thoughts on the pools. The BLT one does seem pretty cool.

So sad it's getting closer to the end. Can't wait to see the rest!

Disneyfalcon

The pictures of Logan's happy smiles just make the trip report! Especially for us parents of teenagers who can only fondly remember how their children's faces used to light up at the sight of Mickey. Sigh.

You're taking me back!:)

foreverbelle

Original Poster
I'm late to the party too, but I am here! :wave: And loving it!

I am VERY interested to hear your thoughts on Tables in Wonderland vs. the Dining Plan. Everyone raves about TiW, but so far, I've crunched the numbers and it wouldn't be a value for us, even as AP holders. Can't wait for your input!

Well its better late than never right? LOL

I will be posting my thoughts probably towards the end, since thats when we got together to share our thoughts!!

foreverbelle

Original Poster
Such a fun read, Aleisha! Little Man continues to steal my heart. Especially with the character discoveries, I truly do kick myself for not taking the boys when they were that little. And, yes, we are the older couple with the teen (boys in our case) who thoroughly enjoy watching other little ones discover the magic.

Love that BLT room! We love the Contemporary so much. I'll be honest, for warmer trip planning the CR & BLT weren't high on my list of places to stay because I didn't think the pools would be too great. Our 2 stays were in December & January so we didn't swim. Loved hearing your thoughts on the pools. The BLT one does seem pretty cool.

So sad it's getting closer to the end. Can't wait to see the rest!

Ah another lady under his spell. LOL I know one of these days we will be in your shoes looking back on those days as well.

BLT never really interested us until recently believe me...its a great place to stay though. I know it is dif. sad to see it come to an end...just writing it brings me sad....

The pictures of Logan's happy smiles just make the trip report! Especially for us parents of teenagers who can only fondly remember how their children's faces used to light up at the sight of Mickey. Sigh.

You're taking me back!:)

Ah yea I am so glad I am bringing you back. I am so glad I can do that...And the smiles on his face, made the entire trip!

foreverbelle

Original Poster
July 22, 2011

Day Eight

It was bittersweet waking up this morning. One one hand this was our last full day here. And on the other, we knew this was the night we officially planned to celebrate our anniversary, and the second night we had planned for a babysitter. We would end the vacation not as mom and dad. But Andy and Aleisha once more.

But first we had to open that door. I knew what awaited for us, and I delayed it long enough..and for as long as I could. I did it as quickly as possible, found out we wouldn't have to be at ME until 430 and then got ready to enjoy the day.

We had plenty of time before the babysitter came, so we had plenty of time to head back to the parks. Logan had his mind set on Epcot, so much so that while we down at the cafe for special waffle pancakes, he kept telling everyone how he was going to Epcot. And he actually called it Epcot. Which I thought was really cool.

So what else could we do but grant his wish. After all, apparently we couldn't resist another go around with Mexico!

We however arrived at Epcot long before World showcase opened. So we headed to the seas and Found Nemo, along with some friends. We then moved from the seas to the Land and showed Logan all about Living With the Land and yes we actually got him to ride something other than Mexico and Nemo. What a surprise!

DSC00424.jpg

We grabbed lunch and tried to stall as much as we could. But it was time to head over to the World!

Surprisingly Mexico hadn't changed in the two days since we had last been there but Logan was still in love with it none the less.

All the traveling made for a very sleepy Logan who conked out the minute we put him in the stroller, amazingly today was the only day he never fought to be in his thrown. Instead of our original thought of heading to the Character spot, we took out time walking the worlds.

DSC00452.jpg

Ah it looked like we were in for some rain....finally. Since we had arrived we hadn't seen much in the form of rain, not even the typical afternoon shower so the rain would be welcomed.

As we made our way around, the storms seemed to be really coming and with little man being out, we decided to head back for the afternoon. If the storms passed or never happened we could hit the pool once more before the sitter came. Thankfully we hit the monorail at the right time for just as we boarded, it began to downpour.

It looked like there would be no pool for us. Instead it looked like we would be spending the rest of the afternoon sadly starting to pack and relax for the evening.

I have to give props to the cast members. I know they often get a lot of flack about things, but honestly I had seen nothing but amazing quality out of them. And kindness, we decided to go and check out a movie for Logan to watch with the sitter, when we made our way down to the kids club area, Tangled was on, we rented Bolt and began to make our way back to the room. Logan didn't want to leave the place and began wailing at the top of his lungs...As we rounded the corner to the elevators, the cast members who were assigned the pool activities were getting off. When they saw Logan they immediately stopped and pulled out a bunch of things and started interacting with him, so much to the point that he stopped crying and instead began laughing...I know they didn't have to stop. I know they had other jobs to do and other places to go. But for just a moment they took some time out of their busy schedules to make my son smile and laugh. And for that I was very grateful for.

At 7 exactly the Kids Nite Out Rep knocked on the door. Eleanor was our babysitter for the evening. Another older lady very much grandmotherly started telling Logan no right away. We had pulled out popcorn, and the movie But once she started on him we decided to forgo the popcorn and just go with the movie. We made our way out while Logan was entertained and we off to California Grill to celebrate our 5 year milestone.

DSC00463.jpg

Now I was skeptical about CG, I had read some recent reviews that were pretty unfavorable. But I was willing to try and was hoping that perhaps I would have a different experience.

We were seated right in front of the Magic Kingdom, I wish it wasn't raining cus it would have made it that much more perfect, and incredible to have watched the sunset from there. But we couldn't do much about the rain so we would enjoy the meal, and the time rain or shine!

I had Halibut, rice and veggies.

DSC00465.jpg

AMAZING!! Seriously it was quite delicious....

Andy had flatbread, veil and veggies:

DSC00464.jpg

He actually said this was the best meal of the trip....

DSC00466.jpg

After some great food, we were served comp. champagne, we toasted another year, both marriage and vacation wise.

Our original plan was to do our traditional MK and Wishes night. But of course it was raining and we hadn't gotten much shopping in. And with MK having Magic Hours until 3, we decided to head to DTD for some adult shopping. MK could wait.

We hit up the World of Disney, picked up some souvenirs, then walked through Pleasure Island. I had never been through it at night. Yes I know I am quite late to the party. But it was beautiful at night. We hit up the Vylnamation store, were we did and could have done a lot more damage.

By the time all was said and done, it was after eleven, the storm had passed but we weren't feeling like taking the ride to MK. So we just headed back, our wallets would thank us anyway. And so we returned back to BLT.

This would be the first time in five years that our traditional night would be broken.

Oh well there is always next year. Sigh.

Coming Up our final day, my final thoughts on BLT, and the Tables of Wonderland..

PolynesianPrincess

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time!!! Even though Logan is kind of younger to love all the rides there, it's definitely still a perfect age to take him... My Mom says trips when I was that age are some of her favs because the magic was all new to us. Seeing it through a childs eyes is so wonderful :)

I also am anxious to hear how you like TiW and the DDP. We're buying AP's in November as we will be going again next May and we're considering the TiW card. We will stay offsite for the week in the spring but onsite in November. We're thinking TiW might be the way to go for us due to the offsite stay....

lbrad

What a great TR!!!
I have loved reading it... made my night @ work fly by.
Your son is adorable ... gets his good looks & gorgeous smile from mom & dad.
I too was at WDW while you were there 7/17 - 7/23. What great memories we will always have!!!
Thank you for taking the time to share your trip (esp. all the pics) with us:wave:

HollyBelle

I'm so glad the California Grill turned out to be such a delicious meal for you both. I hate it when we miss our usual "traditions" so I feel you there. And kudos to the CMs who took time out of their day to play with Logan. Disney magic at it's finest!

foreverbelle

Original Poster
Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time!!! Even though Logan is kind of younger to love all the rides there, it's definitely still a perfect age to take him... My Mom says trips when I was that age are some of her favs because the magic was all new to us. Seeing it through a childs eyes is so wonderful :)

I also am anxious to hear how you like TiW and the DDP. We're buying AP's in November as we will be going again next May and we're considering the TiW card. We will stay offsite for the week in the spring but onsite in November. We're thinking TiW might be the way to go for us due to the offsite stay....

Thanks!

Yep. I plan on doing my analysis of things, or rather my thoughts on things hopefully tonight so you can hear. It was dif. interesting...

It was wonderful to see Disney through my son's eyes...I loved every minute of it.

What a great TR!!!
I have loved reading it... made my night @ work fly by.
Your son is adorable ... gets his good looks & gorgeous smile from mom & dad.
I too was at WDW while you were there 7/17 - 7/23. What graet memories we will always have!!!
Thank you for taking the time to share your trip (esp. all the pics) with us:wave:

Well aren't you sweet! Thank you so much.
I am glad I could make your evenings go by a bit faster at work, I know I am guilty of reading people's and think this day flew by that much faster..

And you are right, it was some great memories..

I'm so glad the California Grill turned out to be such a delicious meal for you both. I hate it when we miss our usual "traditions" so I feel you there. And kudos to the CMs who took time out of their day to play with Logan. Disney magic at it's finest!

I have to say I was skeptical on California Grill, but was really pleased with it at the end. So glad we did it....just wish the weather would have been a little nicer. Oh well.:D

I know I was bummed by our missing of the tradition but we had a great time anyway, so I can't complain to much about it. Besides shopping without little man was nice. We got through so many more stores than we would have!

foreverbelle

Original Poster
Ok hang in there with me, I am almost done....hopefully should have the report finished this evening or tomorrow. Just been crazy here and I can't post pics at work, so I gets to do it all at home.

The end to be posted later!

TakeMeThere81

July 20,2011

Day Six

We were seated right beside the windows to the left of the restaurant, I don't know if this is the front, back or side but it just happened to be the last rounds that the characters would make. The wait was hard for Logan, who couldn't understand what exactly was going on, thankfully he had his monster trucks to keep him busy...And just as he was starting to get a little antsy...we spotted Mickey heading to our area...

Great experience with Chef Mickey's! And can I say, that table was awesome for photos!! The tables in the back have terrible lighting, this one you had had great natural light!

Logan's experience with the characters was so great!! I love Chef Mickey's!

Perhaps today should have been a meet and greet themed day. We headed back over to Hollywood Studios and to the back of the park to the new meet and greet with Phineas and Ferb. Though I wasn't sure who this was more for, Andy or Logan. Since Andy is addicted to the show and we spend most of our Saturdays watching episode after episode. I have yet to see how well the pictures turned out since it was taken with our photopass.

DSC00293.jpg

Ah finally a group shot!!

The last time we had eaten here was n our honeymoon We weren't too impressed back then. But they had renovated it since then and we had hoped that we would have better luck this go around. Nope. We can see why we stayed away for so long. They gave me a hard time about my allergies and agreed to one thing. Then they came back and said no, nevermind. When I asked if I could just get the shrimp and some white rice I felt as though it was the hardest decision and that they reluctantly agreed. I barely touched most of it, after I was so unhappy with the entire thing.

We left saying we didn't think we would be back...

We love Phineas and Ferb!! My kid are older of course, but I, myself love Dr. Doofenshmirtz(sp?). He's so hilarious!!

Great family picture with McQueen and Mater!!

Lastly, I"m sorry about your experience at Nine Dragons. You'd think they never came in contact with someone who had special dining needs-geez.

Glad you had a great experience at California Grill!!

I'm really enjoying your report! Sorry to see it end!

foreverbelle

Original Poster
Great experience with Chef Mickey's! And can I say, that table was awesome for photos!! The tables in the back have terrible lighting, this one you had had great natural light!

Logan's experience with the characters was so great!! I love Chef Mickey's!

We love Phineas and Ferb!! My kid are older of course, but I, myself love Dr. Doofenshmirtz(sp?). He's so hilarious!!

Great family picture with McQueen and Mater!!

Lastly, I"m sorry about your experience at Nine Dragons. You'd think they never came in contact with someone who had special dining needs-geez.

Glad you had a great experience at California Grill!!

I'm really enjoying your report! Sorry to see it end!

Ah yes Phineas and Ferb..I think its a classic. LOL I know my men love it.

And thank you for the kind words with the family. Its one of my favorites of the three of us from the trip.

And I am glad you are enjoying it! I am sad to see it end myself I have enjoyed sharing my memories with you all...

foreverbelle

Original Poster
July 23, 2011

Day Nine

Departure day is one of the worst days. Seriously. We had packed last night before so we had plenty of time before the not so Magical Express was to pick us up at 4:30. There was a however a hard decision. Do we spend the day in the parks getting all hot and sweaty, or do we hang out by the pool where we could relax. Andy didn't want to be all pooled our and now have a place for the wet clothes nor a place to shower. But he didn't want to get all hot and sweaty either. So we didn't know what to do. We got up and gathered the rest of our belongings and where finishing up with Logan when mousekeeping came and knocked on our door to ask if we were done and if they could clean.

It was only 8:30.

Still we hurried along and left, sweeping over everything one last time. I sat in the room looked around and felt that all to familiar pain that comes when you realize you are heading back to reality before to long. I know you know what I am talking about. No matter how many times I tell myself I will be back, it never seems to fail.

DSC00481.jpg

We grabbed one last breakfast at the Contempo Cafe. Logan made friends with two females next to us. I swear I am going to have my hands full with women in the years to come. As he chatted with the ladies, Andy and I discussed where to go from here. We hadn't done the tour of the resorts and Andy wanted to hit up Poly for some shirts, and as an added bonus, Logan kept saying he wanted to go to 'Hawaii.'

DSC00470.jpg

e jumped on the monorail and landed all the way across the country, to the tropical paradise. Thankfully the trip was worth it, everyone found something and we got to see a Hawaii musical group perform. It seemed like it had just been breakfast, but to our surprise it was now approaching lunch time, I think all we had done this trip was eat.

It was time to head back to DTD to hit up my fave one last time.

We sat around for awhile, knowing that the next time we got on the bus, it was to be to head back to the resort. But we couldn't sit around forever and so we made our way back, along with a Brazilian tour group. It was finally time to start thinking about.

Reality.

Though if you asked us, we didn't want to at all. But vacation had to come an end for another year. And so for the next few hours, my husband ended his vacation this way:

DSC00482.jpg

If only we could all be so lucky to relax like this.

Since it has come to an end I thought I would sum up all my final thoughts.

Resorts

Saratoga Springs

We loved the pool, especially the new Paddock, with the kids area it makes it really enjoyable, for both big kids, and the little.

While it was big, we found it to be quiet and relaxing. The perfect way to end a hectic day in the parks.

The staff was wonderful, I don't have a negative thing to say about them!

If you stay there, don't expect to walk anywhere, especially if you are in the back of the place. The resort is to spread out.

The bus service did take a little while longer.

And if you expect to be close to a park, this isn't the resort for you.

Bay Lake

We loved it, its newness, was fabulous.

Great location

Being so close to the monorail was wonderful

However it was a little to loud for Logan at times.

Pool wasn't as kid friendly, but still wonderful in its own right.

Tables In Wonderland

We were disappointed in it actually. Andy had hoped to come up with a little more savings than he did. In the end, it was a lot more expensive, and we would have saved a lot more money if we had done the Dining plan. It covered the tip for the most part, but there were several meals that were a lot cheaper if we had done the DP. We think the TIW would be good if you had a larger family, or group. But for just two people, we say save some time, and some money and stick with the DP. If you need any further analysis, Andy has them, he is the numbers guy.

And so, this is it. The end of the report....so from me I thank you for reading, taking the time to go back with me.

DSC00478.jpg

Until next time!

DSC00479.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom