What Grinds Your Gears At the Parks?

drossjr

what grinds my gears is the people who took this thread in this direction. :mad:

"Yeah I said it, want to fight about it?" (Patty from Family Guy)

MickeyDent

OK, do bring it back on point...What grinds my gears???

Few things actually.

First, people who stand in the security back check line WHEN THEY HAVE NO BAG!!!! I understand the desire to stay with the family, but come on, unless you're a small child and have no other person you could stand with, you shouldn't be in the bag check line!!!! All that does is crowd everything up!!! The people in the party WITHOUT bags should go thru the alternate way and WAIT ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!

Second, unchaparoned teenagers you act like they have no respect for people around them and think TALKING AS SACRASTICALLY AND AS LOUDLY AS POSSIBLE somehow makes them cool. It doesn't make them cool, it makes them rude. For example. My daughter loves animals. We were walking through Epcot this past weekend and saw a bird sitting on some leaves in a pond. My daughter thought it would be a perfect picture but forgot her camera. I took the picture for my daughter. We then heard (think the entire park did) from a group of young girls nearby who started to sarcastically yell "Oh my God!! It's a bird!!!" and acting in a very overdramatic way. While they say anything directly to us, it was evident they did not share my daughters opinion of the bird.

Now, as far as people posting their opinions on fat people on scooters or crying children in the park or any number of other points...

I am all for free thought and differing points of few. In fact, that is one of the things this country was founded on. However, it IS possible to state ones opinions without being disrespectful or insulting. Seems our society, as a whole, has forgotten this. While some people will say they are "just being blunt" or "just telling the truth", that seems to me as a thin excuse for saying what you want and not caring how it impacts other people. Every one is different. From upbringing, to social status, to health, life events, etc. And were are all shaped both emotionally and physically by our INDIVIDUAL choices and experiences. And just because you may think of things differently from another person, doesn't make you better or smarter. It makes your point of view DIFFERENT and that's all. I'm not trying to tell people what to think or how to act. That's not my job and BELIEVE me, I wouldn't want it. All I am saying is, before you say something, ask yourself how it would make you feel if someone said it to you. Better yet, ask yourself how you would feel if someone said it to your wife or husband. To your son or daughter.

I guess then, what REALLY grinds my gears is when people do not consider how their actions impact others. Whether those actions are physical or verbal.

juscet

I don't like it when you make the effort to go early to get a good seat for the parade and then some people get there just before it starts and try to sit or stand in front of you. I guess it is that whole idea of people who seem oblivious to the rest of the world because they believe the world (no pun intended) only revolves around them.:)

dumbosgirl13

One thing that really bothers me is when i see children on leashes!! I guess i dont agree with treating kids like dogs but thats just me. i mean i see where people are coming from but doesnt that get back to the whole dicipline thing? oh well.. it doesnt really affect me too much except i enjoy counting how many kids on leashes i see each trip! Try it its kinda fun!:ROFLOL:

gspin2k1

Just came back...Had an awesome trip. although I will say there were certain types of families (more so than others) that I will not mention to not turn this into a racist thread that were just extremely more rude that others.

Examples:

#1: Everyone waiting patiently in line to take pictures with a Star Wars scooter...suddenly this family comes up sends her kid to sit on the scooter cutting everyone in line. Someone mentions to the mother that there is a line, she says "oh sorry" then continues to take her picture(s) anyway. Then let's her kid take his sweet time to get off the scooter so the people waiting in line can get their pictures knowing no one is going to be rude enough to shove a kid off a movie prop.

#2: Illuminations show not over, everyone watching and enjoying the show. Understandably some people may want to leave early to escape the crowd before the show is done. This family decides not only will they leave before the show is over but to scream to each other over and over making tons of noise distracting people watching the show before they leave for about 3 minutes.

Anyway pretty much other than that...AWESOME trip.

~G

rhythmlife07

One thing that really bothers me is when i see children on leashes!! I guess i dont agree with treating kids like dogs but thats just me. i mean i see where people are coming from but doesnt that get back to the whole dicipline thing? oh well.. it doesnt really affect me too much except i enjoy counting how many kids on leashes i see each trip! Try it its kinda fun!:ROFLOL:

I guess it allows the child to walk (not be in a stroller) without the risk of losing them in a crowd... but yeah, it's still disturbing... and fun to watch :lol:

magicmaya

Original Poster
Just came back...Had an awesome trip. although I will say there were certain types of families (more so than others) that I will not mention to not turn this into a racist thread that were just extremely more rude that others.

Just one question.How is it racist? We are not talking about people of other races.:shrug:

mousebymarriage

I used a leash in Disney for my son when he was a toddler because he was a runner but, when I heard my daughter (who was 6 at the time) calling him "come here doggy" then petting his head saying "good boy,you want a cookie". I told her to stop treating him like that. Her response was "he's my pet. Don't worry mommy he likes being a doggy". That was the end of the leash! Oh and she was trying to get him to bark.

abug'saunt

The only thing that really bothers me are the guests that bump into me and look at me as if it was my fault. Personally, I think part of the blaming look is because of my weight but I smile, say excuse me, and keep going.

Couple things I'd like to say. Please keep in mind I waited to cool off before writing. I am overweight. Yes, I shouldn't have had those double quarter pounders, fries, and diet coke. I also suffer from PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and depression. When I felt depressed (taking anti-depressants now) I would eat, feel guilty for eating, then eat more. Not an excuse, just my experience. The PCOS affects my eating habits as well, I don't convert certain foods normally and will leave it at that. My weight is my burden to bear. My last trip, my group walked slowly. But it wasn't for our weight, it was the nasty blisters I got on both of my feet.

The other thing is really young kids. My niece was 3 months from her third birthday when we first went to WDW. Her only real break down in a park was after riding BTMRR. She wanted to ride the "little train". We got on and as the ride went up its first hill, she looked up at my husband and asked if there were any bumps on the ride. My husband, thinking along the lines of something like speed bumps, told her no. We got off, she started crying and we moved out of the way. When asked what was wrong, she said, and I quote, "Uncle lied, there were too bumps!". Turns out, she meant hills. She rode it again later in the trip, calling it the bumpy ride. It is now her favorite ride. On a side note, she spent most of her time in a stroller, but when she wanted to walk she did have a leash as she liked to run ahead. She did have one other melt down, on our last trip. She was six at the time. We were eating at the Kona. When our desserts came, the ice cream I got was the one she wanted. It was a cone. She remembered she got one on her first trip and wasn't happy that she couldn't have one this trip. I traded desserts with her and she eventually calmed down. As she is the closest thing to having a child of my own, I am thankful that we took her when we did.

Sorry so long. Thanks for letting me rant. I sure am gonna miss the little brat :lookaroun when I leave in 2 days. :sohappy:

TinkerBelle8878

Having just come back from a trip, there were some things that did grind my gears:

1) The absurdity of the Bibbidi Bobbidy Boutique- I'm sorry, I'm a female, one who considers Sephora my mothership, and yet I still think its a little nutty to pay to get an 8 year old all dolled up for walking around the parks in the 100 degree heat. I was fortunate enough to go on many a family trip to WDW growing up and it never would've occurred to me to want to get all this done to walk around all day with. Back in the 80s all there was were the Minnie and Alice dresses. No tiaras, no makeup.

*The facepainting is a little more prevalent than I'd like but for some reason it seems to fit more with the fun of an amusement park.

2)All of the DVC booths.- With no one even venturing near them. I'd much rather have a store or a food stand. Or even a bathroom.

3) The lack of variation of food choices at DHS- I'm not a big burger fan, I don't want to spend $10 for a tuna sandwich and in all of DHS it seemed that there was nothing to eat. Epcot and MK don't seem to suffer from this as much.

4) What's up with the pool near Home Run in All Star Sports?- Where's Goofy? Instead there was just an empty thing in the middle where Goofy used to stand.

5) Fast Pass- Hate it. Used it only as a last resort. It really inflates the waiting times of rides extremely. And unnecessarily. Now I understand Soarin has a limited capacity, I know that there's going to be a wait regardless. Because I had a Fast Pass and still waited about 1/2 an hour to ride after I was allowed in. But for Fantasyland rides that are omnimovers? Get rid of it. I think that the wait times for Toy Story Mania were crazy and would've been shorter if it hadn't been for fast pass.

5a) You should be able to get more than one fast pass at once, especially if your fast pass isn't good for another 4 hours and another attraction has FPs for the next half an hour available. I had this in the MK and it ticked me off to no end. I had a FP for Peter Pan which wasn't until 9:50 pm and saw that Pooh had ones for 7pm at 6:30. I tried to get one and it wouldnt' let me. You should be able to in this sort of case.

6) All of the stores from the parks, to Disney Marketplace, to my hotel all had the same merchandise. I remember there used to be different stuff everywhere and being told 'Remember where you saw something, if you want to get it later' by my parents. Now nothing different in any store. Maybe a different color but otherwise everything was exactly the same.

SeaBreeze

I was on a leash for awhile after a creeper tried to kidnap my brother. No exaggeration either, it's a really freaky story but since I had a tendency to hide and such, I was leashed for awhile after the incident. Kind of understandable and I thought it was a fun game :lol: I'm also amused that I knew the velcro thing around my wrist could come undone easily, I just chose not to stop playing the 'game' Didn't bother me and didn't last too long but if it made my mom relax some, no worries from my end!

As for what bothers me... guests littering in the parks :fork: I can't tell you how much trash I saw on Splash Mountain last week and it absolutely disgusted me. It's not that hard to wait till you have a trash can nearby people!

sublimesting

How do you come off saying these things? Are you a doctor or something? Lazy???? You've got some nerve to say something like that.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Actually, I have worked in health and medical research field for years, as has my wife and mother. My brother is a dietician. We all have years of education in this field, be it self education and formal education. So, yes I do have quite a bit of experence in this matter. That is where I come off saying this. As I said in a previous post, there are medications that will cause SOME weight gain, but not enough to cripple you.
And here is something else to consider. Why do we need such medications in the first place? Americans take 75% of the world's prescription medication! Why are we so unhealthy when others are not? Primarily we eat unhealthful things! And we do not exercise! No wonder lipid regulators are the most prescribed drug class. So we are to blame for our own poor health.
Don't take me wrong some things are unpreventable but for the most part they are not. And why is morbid obesity a new thing? In past generations we did NOT have this level of obesity!

nyfrenchy

And why is morbid obesity a new thing? In past generations we did NOT have this level of obesity!

Four words my friend: High Fructose Corn Syrup.

It's now everywhere, even in your bread!

The rest of the world uses regular sugar and they don't have that insane level of morbid obesity we have in the U.S.

sublimesting

Four words my friend: High Fructose Corn Syrup.

It's now everywhere, even in your bread!

The rest of the world uses regular sugar and they don't have that insane level of morbid obesity we have in the U.S.

The rest of the world uses lard and oil and butter and drink wine etc...yet are healthier. People here do NOT understand nutrition. For example, here is another monster problem: Trans fats are not able to dissolve in your body. They are structurally very similar to plastic. Trans fat is used to keep food fom spoiling as they don't break down as fast....so you don't break them down either.

Also portion size. A portion is small compared to what people think. For example a prok chop is about 1.5 servings of meat. A cup of rice is a bout a serving of grain. 2 TABLESPOONS of most sauces and dressings is a serving, not a half cup which is what most people use! And look at the label of alot of "healthy foods" they are nutritionally void. Here is something else tricky labelling. For example English Muffins - High Fiber has 100 calories and 3 grams of fiber. Wheat English Muffins have 100 calories and 9 grams of fiber. But, they are not labelled high fiber. So most people are led astray by just reading the title of their food instead of the label.

westie

On our last trip we ate at a walk up restaurant, which we do not normally do. We get our tray of food and set out in search of a free table. I eye one at the end of the room and all of a sudden this rotund woman bolts arround me(it was crowded and somewhat fantastic to see) and she dives on top of this table as if to say, Mine! The entire place stopped for a moment and went ? As I approached she's screaming in her sublest northeastern accent for the family to hurry past me and sit down. And then she looks right and notices another room, almost empty and full of free tables. Its at this point I walk by and just shake my head and get one of those, whattaya expectme todo, looks from her husband. It never ceases to amaze me.:veryconfu

magicmaya

Original Poster
On our last trip we ate at a walk up restaurant, which we do not normally do. We get our tray of food and set out in search of a free table. I eye one at the end of the room and all of a sudden this rotund woman bolts arround me(it was crowded and somewhat fantastic to see) and she dives on top of this table as if to say, Mine! The entire place stopped for a moment and went ? As I approached she's screaming in her sublest northeastern accent for the family to hurry past me and sit down. And then she looks right and notices another room, almost empty and full of free tables. Its at this point I walk by and just shake my head and get one of those, whattaya expectme todo, looks from her husband. It never ceases to amaze me.:veryconfu

!
now that was strange!:veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom