What did you do?

scorp111

9 miles in less than 90 minutes (@9:53)

One of "those" runs... you know, pace good, weather good, body good, mind good =)

Rare, but really nice when they happen! I wasn't feeling it before I started either, but just wanted to get it in today. I told myself that I should run it between 10:15 and 11:15 pace...which I almost did :) Still had at least a little kick the last mile:

1 00:09:52
2 00:09:56
3 00:09:59
4 00:09:58
5 00:09:40
6 00:10:07
7 00:10:00
8 00:10:03
9 00:09:27

TakeMeThere81

Great job Steve!!!!!^^^^^^

Got 6 miles in today before my birthday dinner. Just decided 2 days ago to go for the Goofy Challenge this year.

Very cool! Congrats, that is so exciting! I wanted to get Goofy, but the Disneyland Half filled up fast!!

What did I do this week? Finally back at it after a two week haitus with the flu making its way through our family :(

So this week I got a 2-miler, yoga class, 3-miler and a kick-butt spin class in. Feeling so good to have worked out 4 times this week!

MKCP 1985

Yes, great job on your run, Steve. :wave:

For those of you still dealing with winter weather, I feel a little guilty telling you my 5K race in Biloxi this morning featured sunny skies and 70 degree weather - almost a little too warm and humid, considering we could have started earlier, but they want people to stay around for the food festival and the St Patrick's parade following the race.

I logged a personal record, shaving 8 seconds off my former best time of 26:59, set last year at the same race. My official time was 26:51 (no chip timing) and I am happy with that but my goal is to get faster. My first ever 5K finish time was 30:01, so I have shown improvement even as I get older. :lol:

And to change the subject to a much longer endeavor - Good luck, Nick. :wave:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
9 miles in less than 90 minutes (@9:53)

One of "those" runs... you know, pace good, weather good, body good, mind good =)

Rare, but really nice when they happen! I wasn't feeling it before I started either, but just wanted to get it in today. I told myself that I should run it between 10:15 and 11:15 pace...which I almost did :) Still had at least a little kick the last mile:

1 00:09:52
2 00:09:56
3 00:09:59
4 00:09:58
5 00:09:40
6 00:10:07
7 00:10:00
8 00:10:03
9 00:09:27
I love the last mile is faster than any of the others. Very well done. That is a sign of you getting stronger. We all would like to have that... at least I know I would.

Yes, great job on your run, Steve. :wave:

For those of you still dealing with winter weather, I feel a little guilty telling you my 5K race in Biloxi this morning featured sunny skies and 70 degree weather - almost a little too warm and humid, considering we could have started earlier, but they want people to stay around for the food festival and the St Patrick's parade following the race.

I logged a personal record, shaving between 7 and 10 seconds off my former best time of 26:59, set last year at the same race. I'll have to wait and see what they post to know my official finish time, but my Garmin said 26:49, and I am happy with that but my goal is to get faster. My first ever 5K finish time was 30:01, so I have shown improvement even as I get older. :lol:

And to change the subject to a much longer endeavor - Good luck, Nick. :wave:
Excellent Doug. Way to set a new PR. Are your good looks getting better with age as well. :D

It was 58 when I ran this AM. I was in a tank running shirt and obviously shorts. I was warm to say the least. Like Steve, I might show my splits from this morning.

1 8:17 - 80 feet gained 34 Loss
2 8:09 - 0 feet gained 97 Loss
3 8:09 - 21 feet gained 54 Loss
4 8:36 - 96 feet gained 24 Loss
5 8:39 - 53 feet gained 67 Loss
6 8:24 - 96 feet gained 31 Loss
7 8:27 - 91 feet gained 96 Loss
8 8:05 - 0 feet gained 101 Loss
9 8:34 - 22 feet gained 39 Loss
10 8:33 - 77 feet gained 24 Loss
11 8:25 - 74 feet gained 35 Loss
12 8:21 - 57 feet gained 36 Loss

scorp111

Woot Woot. I would ask you were you are staying in the event we stayed at the same hotel, but Im staying with a friend in Brentwood.

Any word on Nick. Dave, arent you there?

I will actually be "living" at an extended stay hotel at the time, as I will be doing that pretty much for 10-11 weeks from early April on. I plan on parking at LP Field and taking the shuttle to the start as the website recommends.

scorp111

4 miles in the new Saucony's @9:01 pace

The shoes seem ok. They are loud! I really sounded like a Clydesdale. I never seem to like new shoes the first few runs. In fact, my last shoes, I thought weren't going to work out during the first 3-4 runs, but then I ended up with almost 400 miles on them.

Todays run, I was going to try to make it fast, then decided during mile 2 that it just wasn't my day, and then pushed again during miles 3 & 4.

Splits:
1 00:09:00
2 00:09:27
3 00:09:03
4 00:08:36

joel_maxwell

I almost never check in here on the weekends, but I checked in today as well for news on Nick!
Not to spoil his post/report, but I spoke with him on FB this am. He is alive and I would assume safe. Im sure he will post sometime today.

Jill. A quick question. My pace has dropped about 15-20 seconds a mile. Not sure if it is the weather, slightly warmer, or if its my mental drain. I havent had a break since last summer (on a schedule). I only have a few weeks to go, and Im not trying to stress about it. Im not saying I have a time goal, but I want to be consistent and it seems to be really hard the last few weeks to keep a good pace. From your experience, do you think it could be mental drain, weather or my body is just tired. I guess also, since Im not running the full for a time goal, just a competitive one, I havent been really pushing to have fast times and sprints up hills etc. Oy!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Well folks, I am back. Unfortunately, with all of my training, 100s of miles, and enduring pain on a daily basis, my right hip and knee finally gave out at 50.08 miles.

I ran really strong and I felt great the enitre time. I was even a little ahead of my anticipated schedule, just a few minutes behind the elite ultarunners. I would have finished sub 24hrs if I could have moved my damn leg. It just would not move, and I almost cried when I looked at my Gramin and saw 50.08mi.
The first 16 miles was cake at 4am, running at a 10-10:30min pace through gravel and mud. My electrolytes were right where I needed them, eating and hydrating every 30 minutes.
Reaching the full marathon was like a warm-up, and I felt fresh and strong.
32 miles, I still felt great, but having to eat so often, it was difficult to get food down because I felt so full. Muscles started getting sore, but that was no issue.
42 miles, my nutrition was great, and fatigue was nowhere to be found. However, that was when my right leg started to feel funny. It wasn't painful, I just physically could not get it to move like my left leg.
48 miles, I left HQ after lubing my legs with muscle cream, refilling my water bladder and food. My back was getting sore, and my leg was hardly working.
50 miles, my leg locked up tight and stiff. I stopped tried to stretch, but nothing. It would not move. There was no way I could finish another 50 miles on one leg. Teared up, I shut off my Garmin, and with the last bit of diginity I had, ran on one leg, dragging my right one behind me back to HQ, and pulled out.
I met Dave while I was sitting on the tailgate of my car cursing myself. What a great guy he is, and we def have to go out for beers sometime.
Anyway, I ran strong and completed a 50 mile ultramarathon in 9 hrs 38 mins...not bad at all. I'm doing it again next March and conquering the 100mi. Cheers.

JillC LI

Well folks, I am back. Unfortunately, with all of my training, 100s of miles, and enduring pain on a daily basis, my right hip and knee finally gave out at 50.08 miles.

I ran really strong and I felt great the enitre time. I was even a little ahead of my anticipated schedule, just a few minutes behind the elite ultarunners. I would have finished sub 24hrs if I could have moved my damn leg. It just would not move, and I almost cried when I looked at my Gramin and saw 50.08mi.
The first 16 miles was cake at 4am, running at a 10-10:30min pace through gravel and mud. My electrolytes were right where I needed them, eating and hydrating every 30 minutes.
32 miles, I still felt great, but having to eat so often, it was difficult to get food down because I felt so full. Muscles started getting sore, but that was no issue.
42 miles, my nutrition was great, and fatigue was nowhere to be found. However, that was when my right leg started to feel funny. It wasn't painful, I just physically could not get it to move like my left leg.
48 miles, I left HQ after lubing my legs with muscle cream, refilling my water bladder and food. My back was getting sore, and my leg was hardly working.
50 miles, my leg locked up tight and stiff. I stopped tried to stretch, but nothing. It would not move. There was no way I could finish another 50 miles on one leg. Teared up, I shut off my Garmin, and with the last bit of diginity I had, ran on one leg, dragging my right one behind me back to HQ, and pulled out.
I met Dave while I was sitting on the tailgate of my car cursing myself. What a great guy he is, and we def have to go out for beers sometime.
Anyway, I ran strong and completed a 50 mile ultramarathon in 9 hrs 38 mins...not bad at all. I'm doing it again next March and conquering the 100mi. Cheers.

Hey Nick, I know you're feeling down right now, and I totally respect your right to be disappointed, but please know how amazing it is what you did accomplish and how much all of us here respect you for your efforts and your achievements. 50 miles? Holy moley! Dean Karnazes has a quote in one of his books saying something to the effect that 50 miles is not twice as hard as 25 miles - it's exponentially harder. Those of us who know how hard it was to complete 25 miles have utter awe and respect for you for completing 50 yesterday. You can't account for injury and you can't blame yourself for it. Hold your head up high, and if you want to try again next year, you go for it. If anyone can do it, you can! I applaud you. :sohappy:

JillC LI

Jill. A quick question. My pace has dropped about 15-20 seconds a mile. Not sure if it is the weather, slightly warmer, or if its my mental drain. I havent had a break since last summer (on a schedule). I only have a few weeks to go, and Im not trying to stress about it. Im not saying I have a time goal, but I want to be consistent and it seems to be really hard the last few weeks to keep a good pace. From your experience, do you think it could be mental drain, weather or my body is just tired. I guess also, since Im not running the full for a time goal, just a competitive one, I havent been really pushing to have fast times and sprints up hills etc. Oy!

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say. I can tell you that when the weather starts to get warmer around here every year (like close to 70), my pace start to drop. I think you could overcome it with some serious speed work, but frankly I wouldn't recommend it after all you've been through because you don't want to risk another serious injury with the marathon within arm's reach. Whatever pace you are running, your body is telling that it is feeling comfortable at that pace, so I suggest you listen and just enjoy your first marathon. You're gonna do great, even if you are 10 seconds per mile off the time goal you had until recently. Just my two cents.

scorp111

Great time on the 50 Mile...more than 99.99% of the world will ever do!

If you say you are going to get the 100M next March, I believe it!

fmingo36

Nick,
Doesn't it suck when our bodies give out and yet our mind and determination is still going full force. I still congratulate you on the 50 miles that you did run. You attempt is inspirational. I have never met anyone else that would even attempt to run 50 miles never mind sign up to attempt to run 100. (Heck, most of the people I know can't run 1 mile-:lol:)

And being from the lovely Garden State, I know you did not have the best weather conditions for those long runs towards the end of training. And yet you were so dedicated to get those runs in.

I am very disappointed that I was unable to come up and watch the Ultra-marathon yesterday. But I guess there is a reason for everything, and I guess the reason was I am supposed to be there when you finish your 100 MILES next year :).

Phonedave

I would have checked in much sooner, cause I know everyone was wondering what was going on with Nick, but I have had one of the busiest weekends ever - didn't even get time for a run in.

I got out of Rotary training at around 2 PM and shot over to where Nick was running. I went up to the timing table and asked what was the last gate Nick had gone through, and the guy says he is done. Now I know Nick is a beast, but there is no way he is running a 100 miler in 10 hours., so I had the guy check again. Yep, he says, he ran the 50 miler and is done. So I call Nick on his cell and he says, turn around and look in the parking lot. His wife and cousin(?) were there too.

It was pretty much as he described, He looked great, fit and ready to go. But when he walked you could tell something was up with his leg. He was debating going back out to try and finish, but then decided that if he got another 20 or so miles and then could not finish that would be even worse, so he called it a day.

Nick, don't dwell on it. 50 miles is still a hell of a distance. Tomorrow is another day and another race.

As an aside, Nick is a great guy, and you could tell how much it pained him to stop running. I am *this* close to pulling the trigger and going Goofy next year, and to quote Nick "we will have to celebrate with a beer and three medals hanging around our necks"

-dave

joel_maxwell

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say. I can tell you that when the weather starts to get warmer around here every year (like close to 70), my pace start to drop. I think you could overcome it with some serious speed work, but frankly I wouldn't recommend it after all you've been through because you don't want to risk another serious injury with the marathon within arm's reach. Whatever pace you are running, your body is telling that it is feeling comfortable at that pace, so I suggest you listen and just enjoy your first marathon. You're gonna do great, even if you are 10 seconds per mile off the time goal you had until recently. Just my two cents.
This is why I ask Doctor Jill. Maybe you are Mama Jill. At any rate, you make me feel better with your advice and experience. You are right. I shouldnt stress and get OCD. That is what got me injuried in the first place. I need to realize my goal and know that I went into this race (one of the reasons I bought my Gamin) to keep a good steady pace of 8:30ish throughout. Or at least try for the first 20. It has been in the 60's here and im not use to the heat adjustment yet.

Lastly, I think last time I peaked mentally around this week or next week in the schedule. This time, Im business as usual and I havent even gotten those butterflies yet. Knowing my history, this is a good thing. Ill save my mental explosion of excitement for the week of.

joel_maxwell

As an aside, Nick is a great guy, and you could tell how much it pained him to stop running. I am *this* close to pulling the trigger and going Goofy next year, and to quote Nick "we will have to celebrate with a beer and three medals hanging around our necks"

-dave
I spoke to him on FB this morning. I hated to hear the news, but you have to keep your chin high Nick. I know it is a tough pill to swallow, but it will make the next one even more special. For some reason, it just wasnt meant to be. The stars werent aligned for you to get that 100 yet, but I have faith you will. 50 is a killer distance and accomplishment.

Shoot for next March. Maybe the bling will be s e x i e r next year. Chin high Nick. There is no shame in running 50 miles. If it was easy, everyone would do it. :wave: You are a beast.

PS: Thanks Dave for representing wdwmagic. I know Nick proabably enjoyed seeing/meeting you. That is really cool you made it up there and took the time to do it. If it werent 929.17 miles for me to drive up, I would have been there too. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom