What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Thank you everyone for the support. I can't believe how well I ran and how strong I felt, and then all of a sudden, WHAM, right leg locks up. It was so difficult to make the decision to pull out. It was however, probably the smartest and humblest decision I have ever made in terms of my running. I felt so ashamed and embarassed. I really fell apart though when I got home. The months and months and months of training, pain, sacrificing being with friends and family, etc...only to pull out of the race. I suppose 50 miles in 09:33:24 is nothing to shake a stick at.
Coryna - yes, there is a reason for everything...you'll be there when I cross at 100 miles. Thanks for everything :animwink:
Joel - Thanks for the encouragement on these boards and outside of the forum as well. You def push me to keep going. Maybe I'll run down to where you are so we can have a beer or three...NJ to Alabama beer Ultra...
Dave - I am sorry you drove all that way to see me at 50 and not 100. Just you being there shows how dedicated and supportive you are, and it was a real moral booster to have finally met you. I held in my tears so you wouldn't see The Machine breakdown. Thanks again, and yes, we will be drinking in Epcot together in January with 3 medals around our necks!

Coach81

Well folks, I am back. Unfortunately, with all of my training, 100s of miles, and enduring pain on a daily basis, my right hip and knee finally gave out at 50.08 miles.

I ran really strong and I felt great the enitre time. I was even a little ahead of my anticipated schedule, just a few minutes behind the elite ultarunners. I would have finished sub 24hrs if I could have moved my damn leg. It just would not move, and I almost cried when I looked at my Gramin and saw 50.08mi.
The first 16 miles was cake at 4am, running at a 10-10:30min pace through gravel and mud. My electrolytes were right where I needed them, eating and hydrating every 30 minutes.
Reaching the full marathon was like a warm-up, and I felt fresh and strong.
32 miles, I still felt great, but having to eat so often, it was difficult to get food down because I felt so full. Muscles started getting sore, but that was no issue.
42 miles, my nutrition was great, and fatigue was nowhere to be found. However, that was when my right leg started to feel funny. It wasn't painful, I just physically could not get it to move like my left leg.
48 miles, I left HQ after lubing my legs with muscle cream, refilling my water bladder and food. My back was getting sore, and my leg was hardly working.
50 miles, my leg locked up tight and stiff. I stopped tried to stretch, but nothing. It would not move. There was no way I could finish another 50 miles on one leg. Teared up, I shut off my Garmin, and with the last bit of diginity I had, ran on one leg, dragging my right one behind me back to HQ, and pulled out.
I met Dave while I was sitting on the tailgate of my car cursing myself. What a great guy he is, and we def have to go out for beers sometime.
Anyway, I ran strong and completed a 50 mile ultramarathon in 9 hrs 38 mins...not bad at all. I'm doing it again next March and conquering the 100mi. Cheers.

This is simply amazing, and I am in complete AWE :eek:

When 5 miles is my "biggest test".. and 10 miles is something I am striving for down the road.. this report is incredible to me..

God bless you, and I'm sure you will accomplish your goal!!!

Thanks for the inspiration.....

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Some numbers from the ultramarathon:

Total distance - 50.08 miles
Time (official) - 09:33:24
Calories burned - 4,912
Tripped on a root/rock - 2
Feet soaking wet at - Mile 4
Peeing in the woods - 1 pit stop
Hrs of sleep before the race - 2
Toenails lost - 4
Blisters - 7
Beers post-race - 2 (one 12oz and one 22oz)

Cheers.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

Calories burned - 4,912
Toenails lost - 4
Blisters - 7

Cheers.
I would have made that 12. :D

Just remember, and im not expert on this... Im still teaching myself, but victory wouldnt be so awesome if you havent experienced failure. Your glass is half full, you made it 50.08. That is more than half.

Phonedave

PS: Thanks Dave for representing wdwmagic. I know Nick proabably enjoyed seeing/meeting you. That is really cool you made it up there and took the time to do it. If it werent 929.17 miles for me to drive up, I would have been there too. :D

Drive ?

Pfffft, you should run that. :)

-dave

Phonedave

Calories burned - 4,912
Toenails lost - 4
Blisters - 7

Cheers.

THAT really stinks.

I was thinking about the logistics of running 100, and was looking at all the drop bags that were at the event.

I was thinking, if I were to ever do somthing like that I would bring multiple pairs of socks, and maybe even a spare pair of shoes.

-dave

JillC LI

This is why I ask Doctor Jill. Maybe you are Mama Jill. At any rate, you make me feel better with your advice and experience. You are right. I shouldnt stress and get OCD. That is what got me injuried in the first place. I need to realize my goal and know that I went into this race (one of the reasons I bought my Gamin) to keep a good steady pace of 8:30ish throughout. Or at least try for the first 20. It has been in the 60's here and im not use to the heat adjustment yet.

LOL, actually it is Lawyer Jill (but Mama Jill is OK too :)). I'm just good with logic, and I know that runners don't always like to listen to logic when they have a goal in mind, myself included. I'm always happy to share my experience although comparing myunning to your running is like comparing the tortoise and the hare! :lol:

JillC LI

Calories burned - 4,912
Toenails lost - 4
Blisters - 7

Cheers.

There are so many things I could comment on there, both in awe and in supportive jest, but I will just leave it at WOW. Double wow.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
THAT really stinks.

I was thinking about the logistics of running 100, and was looking at all the drop bags that were at the event.

I was thinking, if I were to ever do somthing like that I would bring multiple pairs of socks, and maybe even a spare pair of shoes.

-dave

Yeah Dave, I had 6 extra pairs of injinji socks and another pair of shoes in my drop bag...along with double and sometimes triple of everything else.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I love the number of calories burned.

Yeah, and to think it would have been around 10,000 cals. But I would have consumed that amount as well to prevent a calorie deficit.

I was a little under in consuming for the 50mi, but I still felt really good nutrition-wise. It was just really hard getting so much food down while running. :hurl:

joel_maxwell

Yeah, and to think it would have been around 10,000 cals. But I would have consumed that amount as well to prevent a calorie deficit.

I was a little under in consuming for the 50mi, but I still felt really good nutrition-wise. It was just really hard getting so much food down while running. :hurl:
Those burps after taking in a Honey Stinger can be touch and go. :lol:

fmingo36

Thank you everyone for the support. I can't believe how well I ran and how strong I felt, and then all of a sudden, WHAM, right leg locks up. It was so difficult to make the decision to pull out. It was however, probably the smartest and humblest decision I have ever made in terms of my running. I felt so ashamed and embarassed. I really fell apart though when I got home. The months and months and months of training, pain, sacrificing being with friends and family, etc...only to pull out of the race. I suppose 50 miles in 09:33:24 is nothing to shake a stick at.
Coryna - yes, there is a reason for everything...you'll be there when I cross at 100 miles. Thanks for everything :animwink:
Joel - Thanks for the encouragement on these boards and outside of the forum as well. You def push me to keep going. Maybe I'll run down to where you are so we can have a beer or three...NJ to Alabama beer Ultra...
Dave - I am sorry you drove all that way to see me at 50 and not 100. Just you being there shows how dedicated and supportive you are, and it was a real moral booster to have finally met you. I held in my tears so you wouldn't see The Machine breakdown. Thanks again, and yes, we will be drinking in Epcot together in January with 3 medals around our necks!

Damn straight-50 miles in 9:33:24 is nothing to shake a stick at!
And I'm so glad I got to be part of the TEAM NICK Cyber-Cheer Squad!
(Gonna make t-shirts with that for next's years Ultra and I WILL be there when you cross that finish line! :))

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
This is simply amazing, and I am in complete AWE :eek:

When 5 miles is my "biggest test".. and 10 miles is something I am striving for down the road.. this report is incredible to me..

God bless you, and I'm sure you will accomplish your goal!!!

Thanks for the inspiration.....

No, thank you, for reminding me that our goals are all relative to the individual. You work your a-- off getting to 10 miles and be proud of it. Good for you Coach. I'll do the same for my goals as well. The number of miles doesn't make us any different / less / better...we all work our a--es off, sk cheers, brother.

scorp111

4.5 miles in the Heat (81), the wind, and with tired legs. (9:31 pace)

Didn't really want to run today, but wanted to get the zero gone, and I know time might get tight later this week. Chose to sleep in this morning a bit, and squeeze a run in after work and before dinner. That idea works a lot better in January than in late March in the South I guess. Legs felt ok, but heavy. Shoes, may be getting a little better. Because of the heat and that this was really a recovery type run, I told myself just do 4 miles at 10, and then push the last half mile for fun.

Splits:
1 00:09:39 1.00
2 00:09:46 1.00
3 00:09:38 1.00
4 00:09:42 1.00
5 00:04:07 0.50

Texas84

Calories burned - 4,912
Toenails lost - 4
Blisters - 7

Cheers.

Amazing. I know you're disappointed, but, 50 miles, wow!

I did a nice, slow 10K practice yesterday to get ready for the Cherry Blossom in Macon, GA next week. 60F, 70% humidity. Felt great, no pain during or after. No lockups after sitting even. I think I do better in humidity. 10 miles on the bike today. I am not in bike shape.

joel_maxwell

4 miles tonight to work out Saturdays cobwebs.

It was 78 outside, Im proud I pushed hard and got it done in 32 minutes flat. Especially since I have felt like Ive been slacking the last 3 weeks due to a lot of other drama taking my mental attention.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
4 miles tonight to work out Saturdays cobwebs.

It was 78 outside, Im proud I pushed hard and got it done in 32 minutes flat. Especially since I have felt like Ive been slacking the last 3 weeks due to a lot of other drama taking my mental attention.

Hey Joel, sounds like you need a mental Spring Cleaning! Hope everything is ok...4mi in 32min is slow for you! Dave and I were talking about you over the weekend, and commenting about how darn fast you are. You folks can't fathom my long distances, but I can't fathom your speed for more than a few miles. Keep pushing through buddy.

Just a little over 5 miles yesterday, with a rest day and some light walking the day after the ultramarathon (Sunday). I heard from the race director of the ultra, and they are awarding me the 50 miler medal, since I DNF'd on the 100mi. That was uplifting.

Hitting the road this morning...post #s later after work, and some Arrogant Ba----d Ale!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom