Time (official) - 09:33:24
Calories burned - 4,912
Tripped on a root/rock - 2
Feet soaking wet at - Mile 4
Peeing in the woods - 1 pit stop
Hrs of sleep before the race - 2
Toenails lost - 4
Blisters - 7
Beers post-race - 2 (one 12oz and one 22oz)

Cheers.

Let's see. 4 toenails in 50mi, means you woulda had 2 left if you had finished. So it may be good that you stopped.
But damn man, 50mi is still nothing to feel bad about. The body just gives up at times. Not much you can do. Congrats on doing the 50miler!

Phonedave

Hey Joel, sounds like you need a mental Spring Cleaning! Hope everything is ok...4mi in 32min is slow for you! Dave and I were talking about you over the weekend, and commenting about how darn fast you are. You folks can't fathom my long distances, but I can't fathom your speed for more than a few miles. Keep pushing through buddy.

Just a little over 5 miles yesterday, with a rest day and some light walking the day after the ultramarathon (Sunday). I heard from the race director of the ultra, and they are awarding me the 50 miler medal, since I DNF'd on the 100mi. That was uplifting.

Hitting the road this morning...post #s later after work, and some Arrogant Ba----d Ale!

To be a bit more accurate, it was along the lines of "It's only a matter of time 'till Joel is posting 15 minute 5K's"

-dave

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Hey Joel, sounds like you need a mental Spring Cleaning! Hope everything is ok...4mi in 32min is slow for you! Dave and I were talking about you over the weekend, and commenting about how darn fast you are. You folks can't fathom my long distances, but I can't fathom your speed for more than a few miles. Keep pushing through buddy.

Just a little over 5 miles yesterday, with a rest day and some light walking the day after the ultramarathon (Sunday). I heard from the race director of the ultra, and they are awarding me the 50 miler medal, since I DNF'd on the 100mi. That was uplifting.

Hitting the road this morning...post #s later after work, and some Arrogant Ba----d Ale!
I posted this a week or two ago, but I think my times were slightly skewed before. Granted, I did have a 7:50 pace over 13.1 last month in The Mercedes after 2 weeks off (proud of that), but I have found on my local runs, since I got my Garmin, my old routes were about 1/10 off. Doesnt sound like a lot, but that is 50-60 seconds more time. That averaged over short mileage is a lot per mile average.

Anyway, I think I could still pull 7:30 pace miles over 4 or 5 maybe 6 miles on any given day, but this heat is starting to slow me down. It was 78 yesterday. Im not use to it yet. It feels like molasses in my legs. It looks like next week we are going to have some sub 40 temps again. WOOT WOOT.

That will help Nick, but like I said before, I think my speed demon title might be in jeopardy since my average per mile time has about 10-15 seconds added per mile since I got my Garmin. :mad:

After all the craziness around the house and 100 contractors fixing my house, down to a borrowed car and carpooling.... I am worn out by the time I have gotten to get out and run. The mental part is not there... i usually like that drive home from work to get focused and psyched up.

joel_maxwell

To be a bit more accurate, it was along the lines of "It's only a matter of time 'till Joel is posting 15 minute 5K's"

-dave
:lol: I wish Dave. One of the most interesting things I have read about running is the heart ability to supply blood from the heart (in CC's I think) if you are out of shape, in shape and extreme athlete. The runners that post sub 6 minute miles, if memory serves, pump 7CC of blood a second compared to an in shape athlete that pumps 5.5ish.

I bet my UOM is incorrect, but you get the point. Ill have to look that up.

Phonedave

:lol: I wish Dave. One of the most interesting things I have read about running is the heart ability to supply blood from the heart (in CC's I think) if you are out of shape, in shape and extreme athlete. The runners that post sub 6 minute miles, if memory serves, pump 7CC of blood a second compared to an in shape athlete that pumps 5.5ish.

I bet my UOM is incorrect, but you get the point. Ill have to look that up.

I read something along those lines as well. You can only develop your cardiovascular system so much. Then it gets down the volume of blood moved per heart beat along with how efficent your O2 uptake is in your lungs.

Once you hit that limit, there is nothing else you can do. At that point it is all genetics.

-dave

JillC LI

Congrats on the 50 mile medal, Nick - you deserve it! And I'll bet that if you can finish 50 miles in under 10.5 min/mile pace, then you can run a pretty mean 5K yourself!

-dave

I'll agree with that!

That will help Nick, but like I said before, I think my speed demon title might be in jeopardy since my average per mile time has about 10-15 seconds added per mile since I got my Garmin. :mad:

It sure as h*ll ain't in jeopardy from me! LOL. Actually, buying my Garmin made me correct some of my originally-believed paces as well. It was a bummer but better, I guess, to have a realistic mindset going into a race.

joel_maxwell

It sure as h*ll ain't in jeopardy from me! LOL. Actually, buying my Garmin made me correct some of my originally-believed paces as well. It was a bummer but better, I guess, to have a realistic mindset going into a race.
Yes, I recall my second half. I had pushed all last winter and thought I was running a 7:45ish pace over 13 but it was really 8. Race day it was 8 (1:44:30). Really happy, but slightly bummed too.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Only 10.30 mi this morning. Holy crap that feels like a warm-up stretch compared to the 50 miler on Saturday. Some LCL tenderness, but other than that, I think I am ok.
Registered for he NJ Marathon on May 1st...Coryna, are you running with me???
2 Ruination IPAs in me now, just relaxin' till dinner. Cheers everyone.

Phonedave

It's Spring Cleaning time all around.

Ever since the WDW marathon, I have been slacking. Just running a odd 5k on the weekends and some sloppy mid-week 2-3 milers.

Well, spring is not quite here (snow for tomorrow) but its not quite the weather as it is the daylight. I was able to run after work today and IT WAS NOT PITCH BLACK OUT. What a concept :) So now running in earnest starts again. Super Hero 1/2 on May 15, so once I register I will have a goal to train for again. (And no, I will not be running in costume)

So, 4 miles and change tonight. I was surprised when I got home and my legs were tired. I have to build that stamina back up. The good news is cardio was just dandy. I think thanks in part to my Tae Kwon Do instructors love of suicide runs. Oh, that's another what did you do. Last night, I got my blue belt.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Only 10.30 mi this morning. Holy crap that feels like a warm-up stretch compared to the 50 miler on Saturday. Some LCL tenderness, but other than that, I think I am ok.
Registered for he NJ Marathon on May 1st...Coryna, are you running with me???
2 Ruination IPAs in me now, just relaxin' till dinner. Cheers everyone.
That a boy!

It's Spring Cleaning time all around.

Ever since the WDW marathon, I have been slacking. Just running a odd 5k on the weekends and some sloppy mid-week 2-3 milers.

Well, spring is not quite here (snow for tomorrow) but its not quite the weather as it is the daylight. I was able to run after work today and IT WAS NOT PITCH BLACK OUT. What a concept :) So now running in earnest starts again. Super Hero 1/2 on May 15, so once I register I will have a goal to train for again. (And no, I will not be running in costume)

So, 4 miles and change tonight. I was surprised when I got home and my legs were tired. I have to build that stamina back up. The good news is cardio was just dandy. I think thanks in part to my Tae Kwon Do instructors love of suicide runs. Oh, that's another what did you do. Last night, I got my blue belt.

-dave
OH, reminds me of high school sports.

dreamfinder

Heck yeah. Have to drink 'em alone because no one I know can stand the hopps in Ruination or Arrogant B-----d. All for me :D

I think I'll start a beer thread...

Sounds like a winner to me! I'm more a stout fan over the hoppy ones personally, but it's nice to switch it up every now and then.

Coach81

Took care of a 5K this morning.. but it was tough.. I felt slow and sluggish.. really had to push myself to get through it.. did 3.2 in just over 31 mins.. 9.50 pace..

If I am not too bad off I may start trying to run 3 miles EVERY MORNING.. is this crazy???

scorp111

Speed Workout Wednesday - Speed is a relative term :)

8 x 400 Intervals + 1 mile warm-up + 1 mile cool down

Mile warm up at 9:56
4 x 400 @ 2:05 per
4 x 400 @ 1:55 per
1 mile "cool down" at 9:04

Speed work is never fun for me, but hopefully it will help with speed eventually :)

Really liking the Saucony's now...

dreamfinder

If I am not too bad off I may start trying to run 3 miles EVERY MORNING.. is this crazy???

Not at all crazy. Eventually the body will start to crave it. When I miss my runs due to travel or injury my body doesn't like it at all.

I would suggest taking a day or two off each week to recover. And tossing in some variation in your runs never hurts.

Personally I do 2 race pace 5ks a week before work, throw in some speedwork and rest on the other days saving my long runs for the weekend. It helps to get the body going and kick start the old metabolism.

Today was a mile in the FiveFingers, followed by weights and core. Still trying to build up mileage/speed in the FiveFingers. Starting to feel good however.

joel_maxwell

I love it when my 40 year old self smokes these grade school kids at them :D

-dave
You are such a baaaad man!

Speed Workout Wednesday - Speed is a relative term :)

8 x 400 Intervals + 1 mile warm-up + 1 mile cool down

Mile warm up at 9:56
4 x 400 @ 2:05 per
4 x 400 @ 1:55 per
1 mile "cool down" at 9:04

Speed work is never fun for me, but hopefully it will help with speed eventually :)

Really liking the Saucony's now...
I like my Ride 3's a lot too.

joel_maxwell

9 Miles at 5am. My speedster status (as Dave and Nick say) is on hold till next winter. With this weather, I am toast. It is my kryptonite. It was only 63 this morning, but 92% humidity. It was soupy outside.

I think this has caused a delay in my leg recovery. They dont feel fresh like they did during winter. Oh well. I fought through it and Im proud of that.

I also ran a local hilly course as I do weekly. 1256 feet ascended with a total of 567 feet of elevation change. That is a lot of hills.

Splits:
1 8:19
2 8:09
3 8:28
4 8:41
5 8:38
6 8:30
7 8:58 (Whole mile uphill of on up incline) Brutal
8 8:43
9 8:21
Total: 1:16:53

Im fine with the splits. Im really way over running my next 2 courses as in elevation and difficulty. I think that will benefit me if I can get my legs back under me and make them feel fresh.

Phonedave

I like my Ride 3's a lot too.

Mine felt 'big' yesterday (Ride 3's as well)

Thats about the only way I could describe them. Like I was wearing clown shoes.

I don't know why, they have never felt that way before. I have had them for a while - couple hundred miles.

I may have to tighten the lacing on them differently. I used to like them a lot, but last night is was like "what the heck are these things on my feet"

I use my old running shoes as 'knocking around' shoes, when when I came in from running I threw on an old pair of Brook's and they felt like normal size shoes.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom