What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I love the fact your taper looks like most peoples' long training weeks.

-dave

Yeah sorry. I guess I don't get out of my head much. I sort of have tunnel vision and don't really look at what the norm is for most people.

So the wife says, "You're going to take some time off from running after this ultra, right???"

uh, sure...:lookaroun

MKCP 1985

Doug, Sam really wants to do the N.O. Half next year. Same weekend. If I can get her to do it, we must meet up since we missed each other last year at the W&D.

keep me posted. There are many options for that race - there is a half and a relay in addition to the full.

The expo was really good. There was more stuff being given away for free there than I've ever seen at a Disney race expo. . . but then when does Disney give away ANYTHING for free? :lol:

JillC LI

Mercedes Half. A new PR. 1:42:50. 6 minutes faster than last year and 1:30 faster than my previous PR. I really need to invest in a 305. I cant seem to shake the "group" speed taking off from the start. The whole pack was flying and it really caught up with me later. Normally, I would burn 1500 or so calories in a 13 miles run at this temp. I burned 1808. Man, I have to slow way down for my full in Nashville. Normal hilly course for Bham. Mile 6 and 7 were the good long hills. :lookaroun I dont know what happen at Mile marker 6. I know I pushed the "lap" button, but no record.

All in all, glad to be running. I can tell 2 weeks off really hurt. Still super proud of my time.

View attachment 26962BEER!

WOW, you SHOULD be proud! That time is freakin' amazing, injury or no injury! Congratulations. You're well back on the road towards that marathon. And great photo - you look really pleased with yourself, as well you should be.

I experienced the opposite effect in the early rush of my marathon. I was trying so hard not to get caught up in the adrenaline that apparently I was going insanely slow, and my sister who was checking my splits online thought I'd fallen off the Varrazzano Bridge! LOL. I got it back together after the first mile though.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
A little over 2 miles this morning. My wife's training is going very well...she can run over 2 miles now and isn't even breathing heavy....I think she could do a half marathon pretty easily in a few months :)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yes you are "manly," but you don't have to brag about it :D

Kidding aside, you will love the 305 my friend. It really keeps your pacing honest among tons of other great features.
:lol: My spelling and grammar crack me up at times.

Yeah sorry. I guess I don't get out of my head much. I sort of have tunnel vision and don't really look at what the norm is for most people.

So the wife says, "You're going to take some time off from running after this ultra, right???"

uh, sure...:lookaroun
Everyone Sam talks to on the phone that asks about it gets told, "Yes, he is going to take a long break from races for a while when the baby comes"...... :lookaroun

Ill be back for fall races.

keep me posted. There are many options for that race - there is a half and a relay in addition to the full.

The expo was really good. There was more stuff being given away for free there than I've ever seen at a Disney race expo. . . but then when does Disney give away ANYTHING for free? :lol:
Will do. Sam is a N.O. freak. It wasnt hard to convince her to get back in shape and make that her first. Im going to encourage her to do the Half. I would love nothing more than to run beside her, at her pace and just experience it with her, but let her have her race. I would be there if she needed me, but this is your race.

WOW, you SHOULD be proud! That time is freakin' amazing, injury or no injury! Congratulations. You're well back on the road towards that marathon. And great photo - you look really pleased with yourself, as well you should be.

I experienced the opposite effect in the early rush of my marathon. I was trying so hard not to get caught up in the adrenaline that apparently I was going insanely slow, and my sister who was checking my splits online thought I'd fallen off the Varrazzano Bridge! LOL. I got it back together after the first mile though.
Thanks Jill. I got to mile 6 and that was the point where I was either going to turn it up and maintain the pace the best I could or shut it down and just coast. Mile 6 and 7 and some of 8 are uphill. I felt great and was 5 minutes ahead of any previous pace. I went for it.

Once I got to the finish line and knew of my PR, I went through the mental checklist: WOW> Sam will be proud, mom/dad, Debbie and Johnny..... and Jill. :p

One day Jill, I will take those splits and reverse them. Start with a 8:45, down to an 8:15, 8, 7:45 so on and so forth. It will take trust and discipline, but I think it would be interesting to try and do that.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Most people's long training weeks? I will never hit a training week like that as long as I live! LOL

Sure you will Jill. Just follow my plan:
1. Have a super supportive spouse
2. Eliminate the need for friends and a social life
3. OCD (yeah, mine's legit, seriously)
4. Find that "pain switch" and disconnect it

That's about it...oh and eat healthy!

Wilt Dasney

Officially signed up for the DL Half yesterday (already at 58% capacity!)

Also got out and did a couple of quick 2-milers last week. If I can get out and run 2 or 3 times a week before I get back in training mode, I think I'll be good. Also talked with a coworker who's training for a 10K over the weekend, and we might start running together as schedules allow.

JillC LI

A little over 2 miles this morning. My wife's training is going very well...she can run over 2 miles now and isn't even breathing heavy....I think she could do a half marathon pretty easily in a few months :)

That's terrific! I always say that going from 0 miles to 2 miles is the hardest transition of all. After that, going from 2 miles to 6 miles is quite difficult but doable with dedication. From there, it's smooth sailing up up and away!

scorp111

4 miles @ 9:07

Have only eaten a banana in the last 20 hours due to a stomach bug, took the day off, but then I felt better, the weather was so nice...and decided to take a little run :)
Might try to eat something now that I have a run in:D...

JillC LI

Sure you will Jill. Just follow my plan:
1. Have a super supportive spouse
2. Eliminate the need for friends and a social life
3. OCD (yeah, mine's legit, seriously)
4. Find that "pain switch" and disconnect it

That's about it...oh and eat healthy!

Sounds like a good plan, but I'm afraid that the bottom line is I'm just not willing to follow it. More power to all of you who do! Running is my passion but not my #1 priority. I'll have to run ultras vicariously through you Nick!

MKCP 1985

photos from Rock and Roll Mardi Gras Marathon - New Orleans. Roughly 17,000 runners to compete in the half marathon, relay and full marathon. Over 10,000 completed the half marathon and only a little more than 3,000 opted to run the full marathon.

75429-535-010f.jpg

Admit it, you are more interested in the guy in the tights wearing the beads. :lol: There were lots of interesting characters out on the course. A little girl gave me a strand of beads, but I couldn't stand the swinging back and forth so had to ditch them after she was out of sight. :lookaroun

75429-2644-029f.jpg

I finished!

75429-1239-036f.jpg

Who needs a lanyard to hold their bling when you can use a mardi gras bead necklace? :D

JillC LI

photos from Rock and Roll Mardi Gras Marathon - New Orleans. Roughly 17,000 runners to compete in the half marathon, relay and full marathon. Over 10,000 completed the half marathon and only a little more than 3,000 opted to run the full marathon.

Admit it, you are more interested in the guy in the tights wearing the beads. :lol: There were lots of interesting characters out on the course. A little girl gave me a strand of beads, but I couldn't stand the swinging back and forth so had to ditch them after she was out of sight. :lookaroun

I finished!

Who needs a lanyard to hold their bling when you can use a mardi gras bead necklace? :D

Great job and great photos! Is that really a beaded necklace holding the finishers medal in the final photo?! How cool.

So what was the most "interesting character" on the course? In NYC, I had a friend who planned to meet me at mile 22, but I never saw her and she never saw me. I said to her afterwards, "How could you miss me, I was running with two guys in giant rhino costumes at the time!? She said, "I saw the rhinos, but I guess they were blocking my view of you!" :ROFLOL:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Sounds like a good plan, but I'm afraid that the bottom line is I'm just not willing to follow it. More power to all of you who do! Running is my passion but not my #1 priority. I'll have to run ultras vicariously through you Nick!

Eating healthy? Yeah, I should follow my own advice. I am much better than I used to be, but I splurge on the weekends, especially after 20-30 miles.
I'll be thinking of all you regular folks (Joel Dave Steve Jill Fmingo Lukacseven blueliner Gary Erin Feival Wilt etc...) as I destroy my body over 100 miles. 32 days...

Phonedave

Eating healthy? Yeah, I should follow my own advice. I am much better than I used to be, but I splurge on the weekends, especially after 20-30 miles.
I'll be thinking of all you regular folks (Joel Dave Steve Jill Fmingo Lukacseven blueliner Gary Erin Feival Wilt etc...) as I destroy my body over 100 miles. 32 days...

It is the one out at Ott Farm's right ?

I'll be in Whippany that day - 30 minutes away. Unfortunately I don't get out of training untill 3:00 or so. Maybe I will swing by.

-dave

MKCP 1985

Great job and great photos! Is that really a beaded necklace holding the finishers medal in the final photo?! How cool.

So what was the most "interesting character" on the course? In NYC, I had a friend who planned to meet me at mile 22, but I never saw her and she never saw me. I said to her afterwards, "How could you miss me, I was running with two guys in giant rhino costumes at the time!? She said, "I saw the rhinos, but I guess they were blocking my view of you!" :ROFLOL:

Rhinos - awesome! :D :D

There were many Mardi Gras divas, both men and women, wearing masks and boas. God bless them - I couldn't have done it! Superman was there. One couple were running as a duck and a weasel. Not full costume garb - just tee shirts. There were harlequins, jesters and a lot of purple, green and gold. (not so many Saints jerseys on the course this year :lookaroun ) Because there were several switchbacks in the final half of the race, I got a good look at many of the other runners.

The volunteers were just as colorful. At one water stop, a group of high school students were wearing KISS face paint. At another, all the volunteers were adults and were dressed in pajamas. I took a bunch of photos - in at least one of the photos I posted, you can see one of my disposable cameras in the drink holster. :lol: As soon as I get them developed, I will do a race report with photos - somewhere. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom