What did you do?

Coach81

1) Welcome - to WDWMagic in general and to the running section in specific.

2) Great work so far, especialy with the weight loss.

3) Baby steps. What you do not want to do is push too hard and injure yourself and then have a massive setback.

What sort of pace are you running ? You can drop it a touch slower and maybe bang out some more distance. Or, you can start to slowly add distance.

Most plans, when trying to build distance, have a number (2 - 3) shorter runs per week at a faster pace, and then a long run at a slower pace. You said you are doing a couple of 3 milers already.

You increase milage by a few miles per week.

For example

Week 1 - 3,3,4
Week 2 - 3,3,5
Week 3 - 3,3,6
Week 4 - 4,4,6
Week 5 - 4,4,7

as you get into longer long runs the shorts stay around 6 - 8 miles and the long becomes 13, then 14, then 15, then 16 ....

Of course if you are Nick (DonaldDuck) your shorts are 25 :)

-dave

I've been averaging just under 9 min miles so far :) I figure that's probably a snail's pace for most of you, but it is what I am comfortable at to this point.

Thank you so much for the training schedule, I will take a stab at it starting next week :animwink:

Welcome and congrats. We are all fun and friendly in the runners forum. If you need motivation, we can charge you up. We share a lot of tips and tricks so dont be afraid to ask anymore questions.

What Dave said is what I would endorse too. Take it slow and stick with it. Look long term like you have and the goals will come. Awesome on the weight loss. Congrats.

Im Joel. :wave: See you on the boards.

EDIT: Yes, Dave it right. Nick is our local machine.

Hey Joel!!! Yes, hope to see you all around..

Thanks for the plug Dave :wave:.

I second Dave on the "baby steps." Just take it slow. Always listen to your own body andalways listen to Dave; he's our resident guru :D

Thank you!

If I'm the local machine, then Joel you're the speed demon. We are like complete opposites. You crank out those speeds that I would NEVER be able to keep up with. But I'd like to see you keep up after 40-50 miles with me, son :D.

I love the diversity of runners here. WELCOME COACH!

Anyway, 10.80 miles this morning. Heading to the studio now...the artist has work to do.

Thanks so much, Mr. "Machine"!!! A pleasure to meet you, sir!

Welcome to the running boards - always a pleasure to have a newcomer! :wave: Sounds like you're making great progress. I remember with perfect clarity the first time I ran 20 minutes straight. And then I remember with perfect clarity the first time I ran 5K. Every new distance is a milestone and an achievement and deserves your full pride. The primary advice I would offer you at this stage is:
1 - keep it fun
2 - don't add more than 10% of your total mileage the previous week to the current week's mileage in order to avoid injury
3 - work on your stamina before you work on speed
4 - be consistent

Congrats on the weight loss and the new hobby. It's a great one.
Jill

Thank you, Jill. I really apprciate all the kind comments and suggestions as I try to grow my baby jogging legs :p

fmingo36

Hope you guys don't mind me joining in... I have just recently began running on a somewhat consistent basis...

Wasn't that long ago that I considered a mile to be my benchmark.. well I'm very proud to say that a mile has now become a "warm-up" or something that I would consider "easy".. wow.. can't believe I just typed that... :eek:

To get to the point.. I have recently begun running at least a 5k several times a week.. this morning was my second one of this week, with a third coming up Friday afternoon. I am also very, very proud to say that I was able to run a full 4 miles this past Monday - the most I have ever run in my ENTIRE LIFE -

I think I'm becoming a bit of a runner... which is staggering to me.. as I used to be over 275 lbs (now currently 192 - working on getting down to 175) and the only running I did was to the buffet :ROFLOL:

Hope to get to know some of you.. as I think I will continue this running thing...

Welcome to the running sub-forum! We've got a great group here.
And congrats on your current accomplishments.
About 18 months ago I was in your shoes. I had never run before in my life and living a pretty sedatery life; the first time I ran I couldn't run more than 3 minutes with out getting winded and now-- (I still can't believe I can say this) I completed the Disney World Full Marathon this past January. It is and always will be one of my proudest accomplishments.

Good luck with your training!

JillC LI

I've been averaging just under 9 min miles so far :) I figure that's probably a snail's pace for most of you, but it is what I am comfortable at to this point.

You know what they say happens when you assume :p

Sub-nine minute miles sure as heck would not be a snail's pace for me! I've had many a long run all the way up to completing a marathon, but I'm definitely not fast!

MKCP 1985

Coach 81 (and anyone else lurking around this thread)

Don't let the high achievers make you think we are all speed demons. There are plenty of slower runners around here, even if we aren't on the honor roll. :lol:

Phonedave

Sub-nine minute miles sure as heck would not be a snail's pace for me! I've had many a long run all the way up to completing a marathon, but I'm definitely not fast!

I would love to be running sub nines myself. Some are build for speed, some for distance, and then there are the rare ones that do both.

-dave

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Busy weekend coming up so I'm posting my schedule now in case I don't get to post:

Hopefully another 10.5 or 11 miles tomorrow morning before I teach a class...no studio time which means my paintings are neglected for the weekend.

Saturday 20-25 miles (tapering for the ultra is driving me nuts :mad:)

Sunday 6-10 miles (again, tapering sucks, big time)

Taking my 80 mile weeks down to 65-70 miles.

Cheers everyone!

scorp111

Hope you guys don't mind me joining in... I have just recently began running on a somewhat consistent basis...

Wasn't that long ago that I considered a mile to be my benchmark.. well I'm very proud to say that a mile has now become a "warm-up" or something that I would consider "easy".. wow.. can't believe I just typed that... :eek:

To get to the point.. I have recently begun running at least a 5k several times a week.. this morning was my second one of this week, with a third coming up Friday afternoon. I am also very, very proud to say that I was able to run a full 4 miles this past Monday - the most I have ever run in my ENTIRE LIFE -

I think I'm becoming a bit of a runner... which is staggering to me.. as I used to be over 275 lbs (now currently 192 - working on getting down to 175) and the only running I did was to the buffet :ROFLOL:

Hope to get to know some of you.. as I think I will continue this running thing...

Welcome to the group! I'm Steve.

Like the others said, we are a diverse group. I was the newbie, have only been running since October, but I guess I am can pass the mantle on to you now :)

I completed my first half less than 2 weeks ago, and hope to do 2 more halfs and a full this year, barring any setbacks.

fmingo36

Busy weekend coming up so I'm posting my schedule now in case I don't get to post:

Hopefully another 10.5 or 11 miles tomorrow morning before I teach a class...no studio time which means my paintings are neglected for the weekend.

Saturday 20-25 miles (tapering for the ultra is driving me nuts :mad:)

Sunday 6-10 miles (again, tapering sucks, big time)

Taking my 80 mile weeks down to 65-70 miles.

Cheers everyone!

Glad the weather is finally cooperating with your runs. :)

Coach81

Coach 81 (and anyone else lurking around this thread)

Don't let the high achievers make you think we are all speed demons. There are plenty of slower runners around here, even if we aren't on the honor roll. :lol:

Gotcha..

Thanks Jill.. I'm not all about speed either.. believe me...

Welcome to the group! I'm Steve.

Like the others said, we are a diverse group. I was the newbie, have only been running since October, but I guess I am can pass the mantle on to you now :)

I completed my first half less than 2 weeks ago, and hope to do 2 more halfs and a full this year, barring any setbacks.

Hello Steve! Thanks! I will gladly accept it... although I'm not sure about running any halfs or anything of the sort anytime soon.. my next goal is to conquer the 5 mile mark.. perhaps next week sometime.

On tap for today.. a slower 5k as I'll be running with one of my clients who is just starting his running hobby..

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Thanks for the plug right back at ya.

I think once it warms up a bit I am seriously going to start working on speed.

And when Joel brings out his Specialized Rockhopper, I have a Giant Iguana in the back stairwell (I love being able to use that bikes name in sentences) :D

-dave
Me too. I have RockShox's on the front of them. Remember when shocks didnt come standard. I love love that bike. It is an avocado color. It saw a great life and still in my garage. It biked many trails, including downhill in Vail and Crested Butte. :D

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Mercedes Pictures are in. Enjoy. Again this year, not that many good shots. Doug seem to get all the great photos.

76798-047-027f.jpg
76798-1172-022f.jpg

Texas84

Hi Coach! You have to do a Disney race. I've been running (OK, jogging) for a year now and I used the Halloween 5K as motivation. I'm a big Jeff Galloway run/walk fan: jeffgalloway.com and also on rundisney.com. Then I survived the Disney half in January, then did another the next weekend (my left foot still hates me). That was so much fun I'm going to try the full marathon next January then do the Disneyland half to get that special medal. Congrats on the weight loss! I'm down to 224 from 246 a year ago. Shooting for 200.

JillC LI

It was so windy for my run this morning that I probably looked drunk as I weaved along trying to fight the wind blowing from every direction. But every so often, yes every so often, the wind would hit me full on from behind and I'd lengthen my stride and the wind would carry me an extra inch or two as I was airborne and it felt like I was flying. So cool. Just call me Mary Poppins! LOL.

scorp111

3 miles at 9:56 and an aborted LSR.
Ugh. Blah. UghBlah.
Right leg was fine today after some ankle/quad pain last Wed. Left calf was noticeable at the start, but I thought it would "loosen". Instead it just kept getting tighter and tighter and I could tell it was affecting my gait. Tried to stop and stretch it, but just wouldn't respond, so I turned back. Used the foam roller afterward, and I am guessing it might be a strain, as there isn't really a tight spot as much as there is a sore spot, and then the pain spreads from there when running. RICE for the next few days, and I will see if it is better by later in the week.
Really depressing, but I am 10 weeks out still from the Nashville 1/2 and in fact am waiting to register until after this is cleared up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom