What did you do?

scorp111

Nice tempo run around Coronado Springs this morning.
6 miles @ 9:17 including the first warmup mile at 9:30.
Now off to wakeup the family and to spend the day at MK.

Phonedave

Cupid's Chase 5K - Glen Rock NJ 62ft of elevation

Gun 30:52.43 - (9:56)
Chip 30:33 - (9:47)

Those include waiting for an ambulance to go through an intersection.

The race was not the best, kind of disorganized but overall OK. They had race shirts and depending on your dating/marriage status were either red with "AVAILABLE' on the back or white with "UNAVAILABLE". I thought that was cute, but of course nobody wears the race shirt at the race, so picking out prospective dates was not happening. (I never have luck at races BTW)

One odd thing, at around 2.5 miles, some guy comes up and passes me and says "I have been behind you the entire race, and I just want to say you have the most effortless looking stride. I am back there going this guy is not even trying, why can't I catch up to him?" Then he passed me :( He finished about 15 seconds ahead of me. Why can't women come up and talk about my 'effortless stride' :D

The Phidippides Challenge is now at

WDW Marathon - 4 Points
Cupids Chase - 1 Point

Total 5 points (gold 20, silver 16, bronze 12)

Next up - 2/27 Hangover Run (postponed twice from 1/1/2011 now)

-dave

MKCP 1985

packet pickup in New Orleans for tomorrow's Mardi Gras marathon - part of the Rock and Roll series.

Seriously distressed at the race shirts - the city "New Orleans" does not appear at all on the shirt. The front features a purple fleur de lis on a green shirt, and says "Rock 'n' Roll Mardi Gras Marathon and 1/2 Marathon benefitting the American Cancer Society"

The back features a saxophone and says "Rock 'n' Roll Mardi Gras February 13, 2011 American Cancer DetermiNation acsDetermiNation.org and in the upper left corner says NOLA

Well, yeah, I know NOLA stands for New Orleans, Louisiana, but still. Bizarre to me. :shrug:

Texas84

Haven't run since Tuesday. I've been on the road and fighting this bug that's going around. Did a 10K in my neighborhood this AM. Did not want to get out of bed. Perfect weather again, 30F at start, sunny, light breeze, but I overdressed and overheated real quick. My time was OK (for me) but I just didn't have the energy. Had a sharp pain in my left foot at about 3 miles but it didn't last. Also got chased by a dog at the 5 mile mark. Luckily it was all bark, no bite. Just one of those days you have to fight through. :(

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
packet pickup in New Orleans for tomorrow's Mardi Gras marathon - part of the Rock and Roll series.

Seriously distressed at the race shirts - the city "New Orleans" does not appear at all on the shirt. The front features a purple fleur de lis on a green shirt, and says "Rock 'n' Roll Mardi Gras Marathon and 1/2 Marathon benefitting the American Cancer Society"

The back features a saxophone and says "Rock 'n' Roll Mardi Gras February 13, 2011 American Cancer DetermiNation acsDetermiNation.org and in the upper left corner says NOLA

Well, yeah, I know NOLA stands for New Orleans, Louisiana, but still. Bizarre to me. :shrug:
The Nercedes Shirts this year SUCKED! I mean horrible. I hate the design.... what there is of it. Very minimalistic and just sucky.

For being the premier race in Alabama/Birmingham, they sure do get out designed by a Vulcan Run 10K, Talladega Half and even the small Village to Village 10K.

Oh well.

joel_maxwell

Mercedes Half. A new PR. 1:42:50. 6 minutes faster than last year and 1:30 faster than my previous PR. I really need to invest in a 305. I cant seem to shake the "group" speed taking off from the start. The whole pack was flying and it really caught up with me later. Normally, I would burn 1500 or so calories in a 13 miles run at this temp. I burned 1808. Man, I have to slow way down for my full in Nashville. Normal hilly course for Bham. Mile 6 and 7 were the good long hills. :lookaroun I dont know what happen at Mile marker 6. I know I pushed the "lap" button, but no record.

Splits:
Mile 1: 6.40
Mile 2: 7.31
Mile 3: 7.05
Mile 4: 7.37
Mile 5 & 6: 15.57 (1 Minute Walk at the start of 5)
Mile 7: 8.00
Mile 8: 7.59
Mile 9: 8.09 (1 Minute Walk at the start of 9)
Mile 10: 8.14
Mile 11: 7.52
Mile 12: 8.10
Mile 13: 8.43 (30 Second walk at the start of 12)
1/Tenth: Not sure. I forgot to push the button to stop. All I wanted was my drink/food.

All in all, glad to be running. I can tell 2 weeks off really hurt. Still super proud of my time.

2011Mercedes.jpgBEER!

Phonedave

Mercedes Half. A new PR. 1:42:50. 6 minutes faster than last year and 1:30 faster than my previous PR. I really need to invest in a 305. I cant seem to shake the "group" speed taking off from the start. The whole pack was flying and it really caught up with me later. Normally, I would burn 1500 or so calories in a 13 miles run at this temp. I burned 1808. Man, I have to slow way down for my full in Nashville. Normal hilly course for Bham. Mile 6 and 7 were the good long hills. :lookaroun I dont know what happen at Mile marker 6. I know I pushed the "lap" button, but no record.

Splits:
1/Tenth: Not sure. I forgot to push the button to stop. All I wanted was my drink/food.

All in all, glad to be running. I can tell 2 weeks off really hurt. Still super proud of my time.

View attachment 26962BEER!

That's a great job, you should be super proud.

Group starts can be a pain. I had the opposite effect on the 5k I ran yesterday. They had the start marked out 6 min, 7, min, 8, min, 9 min, and walkers.

Well, I know I am a high 9 kind of person, so thats where I went. Not many people behind me. They started and I KNOW i was running about a 9:45 and I was passing people left and right - then the course got narrow and people were all jammed up.

The race has a FB page and there was a lot of posts about "what a great first 5k" and "my first race ever" so I guess that was why but sometimes I wish I was running by myself.

I got sucked into the fast pack start at the WDW Marathon too.

-dave

scorp111

Splits:

Fantastic job!
Well done!
6 minutes improvement in a year, and that is despite your injury the last 4 weeks or so.

Crazy fast first 4 miles!!!

joel_maxwell

That's a great job, you should be super proud.

Group starts can be a pain. I had the opposite effect on the 5k I ran yesterday. They had the start marked out 6 min, 7, min, 8, min, 9 min, and walkers.

Well, I know I am a high 9 kind of person, so thats where I went. Not many people behind me. They started and I KNOW i was running about a 9:45 and I was passing people left and right - then the course got narrow and people were all jammed up.

The race has a FB page and there was a lot of posts about "what a great first 5k" and "my first race ever" so I guess that was why but sometimes I wish I was running by myself.

I got sucked into the fast pack start at the WDW Marathon too.

-dave
Yes, luckily, I didnt get behind any slow people this year Dave.... they were all super fast. :lol:

Ok, I feel like a dummy. i looked at the split between my "end of 13" and final time to get that 1/10th. 49 seconds.

I did run with some people in that first 2 or 3 miles that were walking by the end of 3... and looked like death. Inside my head, I gave them a "easy tiger". I kind of feel bad for them if this was their first race. It is hard not to get sucked into the pace.

Fantastic job!
Well done!
6 minutes improvement in a year, and that is despite your injury the last 4 weeks or so.

Crazy fast first 4 miles!!!
Thanks. Yes, I was proud dispite the injury and all that mess. I am very sore tonight. That is a direct reflection of the time off. I also have a massive blister on the ball of my big right toe. I never get them... but that is probably a true reflection of the time off as well, my callus softened. Correct me if Im wrong about this diagnosis, but i think that is the case.

Also, I was telling Sam about how hard it is to keep "your" pace when in a group. So, I was telling her how hard it would be doing a full in Nashville not knowing my current pace/mile until I get to the mile markers. She showed great concern and said I needed to get a 305. :sohappy: Ill be in the club now. Woot Woot. I cant wait.

scorp111

Also, I was telling Sam about how hard it is to keep "your" pace when in a group. So, I was telling her how hard it would be doing a full in Nashville not knowing my current pace/mile until I get to the mile markers. She showed great concern and said I needed to get a 305. :sohappy: Ill be in the club now. Woot Woot. I cant wait.

You will love it! And put it to great use in Nashville....and all the days in between.

Even with it, I went out too fast in my 1/2, but it being my first endurance race, my target pace was just an educated guess. I have a much better idea for my next one, and will work the clock better. Nashville is supposed to be hillier than Tallahassee, so I will settle for pretty much the same time, on a more difficult course (of course I need to be at least 1 second quicker for a new PR). But we will see how the next 11 weeks training go as well.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Splits:

Great job! I think my 1/2 marathon PR is 1:49:06 and you pulled a 1:42:50 coming off of an injury...really nice work buddy.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I began to taper my mileage last week for my ultramarathon in March:

Mon - 10.53
Tue - 10.55
Wed - 4.26
Thur - 10.60
Fri - 6.35
Sat - 23.37
Sun - 4.30
Total 69.96 miles...I couldn't have pulled out another 0.04mi?!? Oh well, tapering anyway! It seriously drives me nuts now not to do 11-13 miles a day.

I will be doing more shorter night runs this week and back to back long runs of 20 miles.

Cheers!

Phonedave

I began to taper my mileage last week for my ultramarathon in March:

Mon - 10.53
Tue - 10.55
Wed - 4.26
Thur - 10.60
Fri - 6.35
Sat - 23.37
Sun - 4.30
Total 69.96 miles...I couldn't have pulled out another 0.04mi?!? Oh well, tapering anyway! It seriously drives me nuts now not to do 11-13 miles a day.

I will be doing more shorter night runs this week and back to back long runs of 20 miles.

Cheers!

I love the fact your taper looks like most peoples' long training weeks.

-dave

Blueliner

Splits:

Congratulations!

MKCP 1985

Congrats! I am still learning my way around the Garmin but love it. Good luck in Nashville.

I've had my fill of long races, so my next run is in Tampa at Gasparilla in 2 weeks - but am only running the 15K and not the half marathon.

joel_maxwell

Great job! I think my 1/2 marathon PR is 1:49:06 and you pulled a 1:42:50 coming off of an injury...really nice work buddy.
Thanks. I really cant wait for my Garmin. I think that training tool will really help pace me correctly. 6:30 opening mile is stupid but felt very normal pace. Manly because my first mile at home is flat or uphill... so i guess a mile on flat surface gets to be a bit faster.

I love the fact your taper looks like most peoples' long training weeks.

-dave
No kidding. Like I previously said, he is a beast and a machine.

Congratulations!
Thanks. Did you run?

Congrats! I am still learning my way around the Garmin but love it. Good luck in Nashville.

I've had my fill of long races, so my next run is in Tampa at Gasparilla in 2 weeks - but am only running the 15K and not the half marathon.
I am pushing to get all I can in before June 5th. Baby Maxwell #2 comes then and I know I wont have the time or desire for an immediate training schedule. :D My training regiment will be spit up and bottles instead of miles and sweat.

Doug, Sam really wants to do the N.O. Half next year. Same weekend. If I can get her to do it, we must meet up since we missed each other last year at the W&D.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Thanks. I really cant wait for my Garmin. I think that training tool will really help pace me correctly. 6:30 opening mile is stupid but felt very normal pace. Manly because my first mile at home is flat or uphill... so i guess a mile on flat surface gets to be a bit faster.

No kidding. Like I previously said, he is a beast and a machine.

Thanks. Did you run?

I am pushing to get all I can in before June 5th. Baby Maxwell #2 comes then and I know I wont have the time or desire for an immediate training schedule. :D My training regiment will be spit up and bottles instead of miles and sweat.

Doug, Sam really wants to do the N.O. Half next year. Same weekend. If I can get her to do it, we must meet up since we missed each other last year at the W&D.

Yes you are "manly," but you don't have to brag about it :D

Kidding aside, you will love the 305 my friend. It really keeps your pacing honest among tons of other great features.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom