What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
It is the one out at Ott Farm's right ?

I'll be in Whippany that day - 30 minutes away. Unfortunately I don't get out of training untill 3:00 or so. Maybe I will swing by.

-dave

Yeah it is at the Ort Farm. I think Coryna (fmingo) is going to venture up as well. I'll send you a PM soon to exchange contact info if you would like; cell # and whatnot.

10.75 miles yesterday

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
photos from Rock and Roll Mardi Gras Marathon - New Orleans. Roughly 17,000 runners to compete in the half marathon, relay and full marathon. Over 10,000 completed the half marathon and only a little more than 3,000 opted to run the full marathon.

Admit it, you are more interested in the guy in the tights wearing the beads. :lol: There were lots of interesting characters out on the course. A little girl gave me a strand of beads, but I couldn't stand the swinging back and forth so had to ditch them after she was out of sight. :lookaroun

I finished!

Who needs a lanyard to hold their bling when you can use a mardi gras bead necklace? :D
Very nice Doug. We havent gotten our photos yet from Sunday. Ill post when we do. I really want to do this next year.

3 Miles last night. Easy breezy pace.

JillC LI

Rhinos - awesome! :D :D

There were many Mardi Gras divas, both men and women, wearing masks and boas. God bless them - I couldn't have done it! Superman was there. One couple were running as a duck and a weasel. Not full costume garb - just tee shirts. There were harlequins, jesters and a lot of purple, green and gold. (not so many Saints jerseys on the course this year :lookaroun ) Because there were several switchbacks in the final half of the race, I got a good look at many of the other runners.

The volunteers were just as colorful. At one water stop, a group of high school students were wearing KISS face paint. At another, all the volunteers were adults and were dressed in pajamas. I took a bunch of photos - in at least one of the photos I posted, you can see one of my disposable cameras in the drink holster. :lol: As soon as I get them developed, I will do a race report with photos - somewhere. :D

Sounds like a blast. I don't know how these people do it in costumes. I don't think I could've run 26 blocks in that heavy rhino costume let alone 26 miles! Looking forward to your pics.

JillC LI

I'll be thinking of all you regular folks (Joel Dave Steve Jill Fmingo Lukacseven blueliner Gary Erin Feival Wilt etc...) as I destroy my body over 100 miles. 32 days...

So what is the longest training run that one does when preparing to run 100 miles for the first time?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
So what is the longest training run that one does when preparing to run 100 miles for the first time?

What I learned is that time on your feet is more important than mileage. I have done some timed runs without GPS and without tracking mileage: 5-6 hour runs. Every couple of weeks now a 30 miler and the occasional 40. All are paced very slowly, around 10-10:30 pace, and that is even considered fast for an ultra.
Not sure what to expect after I hit the 30 mile mark in March knowing I have 2/3 of the race to go. Just going to try and have fun; relatively speaking.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Oh and when I said "regular folks" I meant regulars on the Running forum, not regular-runners. I just reread my post and it sounded insulting, so I just wanted to clarify!:D

JillC LI

Oh and when I said "regular folks" I meant regulars on the Running forum, not regular-runners. I just reread my post and it sounded insulting, so I just wanted to clarify!:D

LOL, I always assume the best of intentions -- until proven wrong!

I'm finding it fascinating hearing about your training and seeing what you're going through as a first time ultra runner. Thanks for sharing the experience with all of us.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
LOL, I always assume the best of intentions -- until proven wrong!

I'm finding it fascinating hearing about your training and seeing what you're going through as a first time ultra runner. Thanks for sharing the experience with all of us.

Sure thing! I hope this first ultra will be the begining of a whole new world of running for me. Thanks for all of the support!

scorp111

4 miles @ 10:33 - Intervals and Hill Workout

One mile warmup, 6 sub<1:50 1/4 miles with 120 seconds walk/jog in between, 3/4 mile cool down. Easily my greatest effort expended in the past few weeks, I think I might have worked harder than I did in my half!

Overall was ok, had a pretty big pain in my ankle at mile 3 while walking between intervals, walked an extra minute or so, and it went away. Finished fine.
Oh, and had my first foam rolling session afterward, and I conclude that foam rolling seems to be fabulous torture!

Time for a shower and some Tofurkey Sausage with Wild Mushroom and Herb Couscous :)

Coach81

Hope you guys don't mind me joining in... I have just recently began running on a somewhat consistent basis...

Wasn't that long ago that I considered a mile to be my benchmark.. well I'm very proud to say that a mile has now become a "warm-up" or something that I would consider "easy".. wow.. can't believe I just typed that... :eek:

To get to the point.. I have recently begun running at least a 5k several times a week.. this morning was my second one of this week, with a third coming up Friday afternoon. I am also very, very proud to say that I was able to run a full 4 miles this past Monday - the most I have ever run in my ENTIRE LIFE -

I think I'm becoming a bit of a runner... which is staggering to me.. as I used to be over 275 lbs (now currently 192 - working on getting down to 175) and the only running I did was to the buffet :ROFLOL:

Hope to get to know some of you.. as I think I will continue this running thing...

Coach81

That's terrific! I always say that going from 0 miles to 2 miles is the hardest transition of all. After that, going from 2 miles to 6 miles is quite difficult but doable with dedication. From there, it's smooth sailing up up and away!

ok.. so... I think I've gotten the 0 - 2 down...

I've conquered the 4 miles and felt ok at the end of it..

I hope to attempt a 5 mile within the next week or so...

Any advice you could give I would certainly appreciate!!!

Phonedave

1) Welcome - to WDWMagic in general and to the running section in specific.

2) Great work so far, especialy with the weight loss.

3) Baby steps. What you do not want to do is push too hard and injure yourself and then have a massive setback.

What sort of pace are you running ? You can drop it a touch slower and maybe bang out some more distance. Or, you can start to slowly add distance.

Most plans, when trying to build distance, have a number (2 - 3) shorter runs per week at a faster pace, and then a long run at a slower pace. You said you are doing a couple of 3 milers already.

You increase milage by a few miles per week.

For example

Week 1 - 3,3,4
Week 2 - 3,3,5
Week 3 - 3,3,6
Week 4 - 4,4,6
Week 5 - 4,4,7

as you get into longer long runs the shorts stay around 6 - 8 miles and the long becomes 13, then 14, then 15, then 16 ....

Of course if you are Nick (DonaldDuck) your shorts are 25 :)

-dave

joel_maxwell

Hope you guys don't mind me joining in... I have just recently began running on a somewhat consistent basis...

Wasn't that long ago that I considered a mile to be my benchmark.. well I'm very proud to say that a mile has now become a "warm-up" or something that I would consider "easy".. wow.. can't believe I just typed that... :eek:

To get to the point.. I have recently begun running at least a 5k several times a week.. this morning was my second one of this week, with a third coming up Friday afternoon. I am also very, very proud to say that I was able to run a full 4 miles this past Monday - the most I have ever run in my ENTIRE LIFE -

I think I'm becoming a bit of a runner... which is staggering to me.. as I used to be over 275 lbs (now currently 192 - working on getting down to 175) and the only running I did was to the buffet :ROFLOL:

Hope to get to know some of you.. as I think I will continue this running thing...
Welcome and congrats. We are all fun and friendly in the runners forum. If you need motivation, we can charge you up. We share a lot of tips and tricks so dont be afraid to ask anymore questions.

What Dave said is what I would endorse too. Take it slow and stick with it. Look long term like you have and the goals will come. Awesome on the weight loss. Congrats.

Im Joel. :wave: See you on the boards.

EDIT: Yes, Dave it right. Nick is our local machine.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
1) Welcome - to WDWMagic in general and to the running section in specific.

2) Great work so far, especialy with the weight loss.

3) Baby steps. What you do not want to do is push too hard and injure yourself and then have a massive setback.

What sort of pace are you running ? You can drop it a touch slower and maybe bang out some more distance. Or, you can start to slowly add distance.

Most plans, when trying to build distance, have a number (2 - 3) shorter runs per week at a faster pace, and then a long run at a slower pace. You said you are doing a couple of 3 milers already.

You increase milage by a few miles per week.

For example

Week 1 - 3,3,4
Week 2 - 3,3,5
Week 3 - 3,3,6
Week 4 - 4,4,6
Week 5 - 4,4,7

as you get into longer long runs the shorts stay around 6 - 8 miles and the long becomes 13, then 14, then 15, then 16 ....

Of course if you are Nick (DonaldDuck) your shorts are 25 :)

-dave

Thanks for the plug Dave :wave:.

I second Dave on the "baby steps." Just take it slow. Always listen to your own body andalways listen to Dave; he's our resident guru :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Welcome and congrats. We are all fun and friendly in the runners forum. If you need motivation, we can charge you up. We share a lot of tips and tricks so dont be afraid to ask anymore questions.

What Dave said is what I would endorse too. Take it slow and stick with it. Look long term like you have and the goals will come. Awesome on the weight loss. Congrats.

Im Joel. :wave: See you on the boards.

EDIT: Yes, Dave it right. Nick is our local machine.

If I'm the local machine, then Joel you're the speed demon. We are like complete opposites. You crank out those speeds that I would NEVER be able to keep up with. But I'd like to see you keep up after 40-50 miles with me, son :D.

I love the diversity of runners here. WELCOME COACH!

Anyway, 10.80 miles this morning. Heading to the studio now...the artist has work to do.

joel_maxwell

If I'm the local machine, then Joel you're the speed demon. We are like complete opposites. You crank out those speeds that I would NEVER be able to keep up with. But I'd like to see you keep up after 40-50 miles with me, son :D.

I love the diversity of runners here. WELCOME COACH!

Anyway, 10.80 miles this morning. Heading to the studio now...the artist has work to do.
Let me tune up my 1993 Specialized Rockhopper and I sure will. :lol:

JillC LI

Welcome to the running boards - always a pleasure to have a newcomer! :wave: Sounds like you're making great progress. I remember with perfect clarity the first time I ran 20 minutes straight. And then I remember with perfect clarity the first time I ran 5K. Every new distance is a milestone and an achievement and deserves your full pride. The primary advice I would offer you at this stage is:
1 - keep it fun
2 - don't add more than 10% of your total mileage the previous week to the current week's mileage in order to avoid injury
3 - work on your stamina before you work on speed
4 - be consistent

Congrats on the weight loss and the new hobby. It's a great one.
Jill

Phonedave

Thanks for the plug Dave :wave:.

I second Dave on the "baby steps." Just take it slow. Always listen to your own body andalways listen to Dave; he's our resident guru :D

Thanks for the plug right back at ya.

I think once it warms up a bit I am seriously going to start working on speed.

And when Joel brings out his Specialized Rockhopper, I have a Giant Iguana in the back stairwell (I love being able to use that bikes name in sentences) :D

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom