What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
3 miles tonight. Surprisingly, my legs feel pretty fresh. It has been a long 3 weeks or rest and rehab.

No time. Just enjoyed running. No pain in the heel. We will see how tmorrow morning is. That is the true test.

If anyone is interested, I think one of the best things i have invested in is the foam roller I got a few weeks ago. My PT said my muscles below the knee were scary tight (probably because I just came off a 36 mile week) but anyway, I got one to help deep massage those areas. What a difference 2 weeks have made while using it.

scorp111

3 miles tonight. Surprisingly, my legs feel pretty fresh. It has been a long 3 weeks or rest and rehab.

No time. Just enjoyed running. No pain in the heel. We will see how tmorrow morning is. That is the true test.

If anyone is interested, I think one of the best things i have invested in is the foam roller I got a few weeks ago. My PT said my muscles below the knee were scary tight (probably because I just came off a 36 mile week) but anyway, I got one to help deep massage those areas. What a difference 2 weeks have made while using it.

Hope it still feels good this morning :)

I have heard great things about foam rollers, might be time to invest in one for me as well.

I am pretty sure I am now planning my next half on 4/30 (Nashville), another half on 10/1 (Winchester TN), and my first full on 12/3/2011 at the Memphis St. Jude Marathon.
:)

Kristia

We just bought The Stick at the marathon expo. My husband is a PT and has uses one in the clinic alot. We used it after the marathon and although it was painful, it worked great to work out the muscles. I think we would have been in much rougher shape the next day without it!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Nice work Joel, hang in there.

10.53mi yesterday
10.25mi on Sunday
23.13mi on Saturday

Just got the upgrade to my Nathan race vest yesterday, so I'll be taking it for a spin this morning.

scorp111

We just bought The Stick at the marathon expo. My husband is a PT and has uses one in the clinic alot. We used it after the marathon and although it was painful, it worked great to work out the muscles. I think we would have been in much rougher shape the next day without it!

Which one did you buy? I was looking at buying something, and this does look like it would help a lot, and the design looks easier to use than regular roller since it has the individual spindles. I definitely could have used something for my calves after my first half!
Today they seem to have finally loosened up a bit.

Phonedave

Last night was an hour and a half of Tae Kwon Do. The first part was an hour of sparring.

I nailed my one sparring partner in the thigh with a (if I do say so) solid kick, and thought nothing of it. My foot was a bit sore at the end of the class but I was walking around, practicing self defense, driving home, taking a shower, etc with no problem.

I got out of bed this morning and almost fell on my face. Wow, this sucker hurts. I don't think it's broken, but it is the same foot that hurt after the marathon. I can't seem to catch a break (or maybe I did :) ) Hopefully the 5K I am entered on Saturday will still be a go.

Maybe it was that thigh kick, or maybe the side kick to his upper arm as well. I hit a lot of unpadded parts last night. :D

-dave

joel_maxwell

Hope it still feels good this morning :)

I have heard great things about foam rollers, might be time to invest in one for me as well.

I am pretty sure I am now planning my next half on 4/30 (Nashville), another half on 10/1 (Winchester TN), and my first full on 12/3/2011 at the Memphis St. Jude Marathon.
:)
:wave: Ill be there too. Woot Woot. It will be my second attempt at a full.

It is amazing. Yes, it hurts like hell at times, but really makes your muscles feel relaxed. Well, more relaxed than not doing the roller.

Nice work Joel, hang in there.

10.53mi yesterday
10.25mi on Sunday
23.13mi on Saturday

Just got the upgrade to my Nathan race vest yesterday, so I'll be taking it for a spin this morning.
Thanks Nick. So far, it is excellent to be back. No pain this morning. That first step was a nerve racking one.

Which one did you buy? I was looking at buying something, and this does look like it would help a lot, and the design looks easier to use than regular roller since it has the individual spindles. I definitely could have used something for my calves after my first half!
Today they seem to have finally loosened up a bit.
I got the one from Academy Sports. Its their house brand for $20. The ones at Target and ________'s Sporting Goods are $30 and up. It is a roll of foam.... I couldnt bring myself to pay over $30 for one. :lol:

joel_maxwell

Last night was an hour and a half of Tae Kwon Do. The first part was an hour of sparring.

I nailed my one sparring partner in the thigh with a (if I do say so) solid kick, and thought nothing of it. My foot was a bit sore at the end of the class but I was walking around, practicing self defense, driving home, taking a shower, etc with no problem.

I got out of bed this morning and almost fell on my face. Wow, this sucker hurts. I don't think it's broken, but it is the same foot that hurt after the marathon. I can't seem to catch a break (or maybe I did :) ) Hopefully the 5K I am entered on Saturday will still be a go.

-dave
Yikes Dave. Remind me not to mess with you if I ever meet you in person. :D

JillC LI

Sharing my post from FB and DM this morning:

4 Months ago to this very day, I ran 3 miles in 39 minutes and 15 seconds in my first run. And when I say, first run, I meant first run with any idea that I was going to really transform who I was and what I did for my health and my recreation. I had “run” a single 5K in each of the preceding years with my 5 year-old and then 6 year-old daughter. We finished in 48 minutes and then 41 minutes to give you an idea of the pace. I had run the occasional mile or mile and a half, but probably averaged less than 25 miles per YEAR over the previous two years and even less before that in my adult life. Not that I was much of a runner in my youth either, aside from mandatory running for baseball & football.
But that day, 10.06.10 has transformed me. I ran 57 miles in October, 64 in November, 74 in December and decided the week before Christmas that I was ready to really train for a specific event, and completed 101 miles in January. So today 2.06.11, 307 training miles later and on the day of one of the biggest sporting events of the year: I will start, compete, and finish maybe the biggest sporting event of my adult life, my first half-marathon. I would not be doing this without the support of my family, my friends that run/ran DISNEY which gave me the initiative to start and the tremendous support I have received here on dailymile. Thank you all, for being a part of it!
My battles are not over, as I still have plenty of weight to lose, and plenty of speed and endurance to gain. I plan on at least 2 more half-marathons this year, and think my first full will occur on 12.3.11 at the Memphis St. Jude’s Marathon.
To quote a friend from dailymile:
“Someday I will not be able to run. TODAY is not that day”

Dave, Joel, Nick, Scott, BJ, Brad, Erin, and everyone else... thanks for being the push to get me started........and my first community for running. (and introduced me to my 2nd - DM)

What a fantastic post. Congratulations! I completely relate.

JillC LI

Thanks everyone and I would love to hear your story Nick.

Went out too fast (again), so I really struggled from mile 8 onwards ( it was probably very beneficial that the course was flat!), but I am really very very pleased with my overall time and pace. My 12 mile training run a couple of weeks ago was 2:15.

I enjoyed the first half, and it became less fun when I was struggling, but this will not be my only half :)

2:07:59 (on my Garmin, will have to see what the chip time is from the race) for 13.25 (9:39 pace)

Congrats again Steve! Fabulous finish!

JillC LI

Glad to hear you're healing. Thanks for the tip on the roller. I've never tried anything like that (fortunately, I haven't needed to, but it's good to know for the future).

JillC LI

10.53mi yesterday
10.25mi on Sunday
23.13mi on Saturday

It just blows my mind to see someone posting numbers like that. You're gonna do great in your Ultra. Don't let the mental demons get to you. By now you must know that the Mind is just as important as the Body in finishing these things.

As for me, I'm just enjoying a nice period of not racing but running for the sake of running. I mix up the short runs and the longer runs, keep up a consistent weekly mileage base, and I throw in some speed or hill work once a week to stay in shape, but I have no specific race plans at the moment. And I'm very content with it all. :)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
It just blows my mind to see someone posting numbers like that. You're gonna do great in your Ultra. Don't let the mental demons get to you. By now you must know that the Mind is just as important as the Body in finishing these things.

As for me, I'm just enjoying a nice period of not racing but running for the sake of running. I mix up the short runs and the longer runs, keep up a consistent weekly mileage base, and I throw in some speed or hill work once a week to stay in shape, but I have no specific race plans at the moment. And I'm very content with it all. :)

Thanks Jill. I know I always post "big" numbers, but believe me, it's not easy. Time and my mental hang-ups are always an issue. My body does take a beating, but it is so worth it when my last step hits the driveway.
The ultra is going to be he hardest thing I've done so far, so my nerves are a little shakey. I'll def be posting pics and perhaps some video after. Thanks again everyone for such a wonderful community!

joel_maxwell

Sharing my post from FB and DM this morning:

4 Months ago to this very day, I ran 3 miles in 39 minutes and 15 seconds in my first run. And when I say, first run, I meant first run with any idea that I was going to really transform who I was and what I did for my health and my recreation. I had “run” a single 5K in each of the preceding years with my 5 year-old and then 6 year-old daughter. We finished in 48 minutes and then 41 minutes to give you an idea of the pace. I had run the occasional mile or mile and a half, but probably averaged less than 25 miles per YEAR over the previous two years and even less before that in my adult life. Not that I was much of a runner in my youth either, aside from mandatory running for baseball & football.
But that day, 10.06.10 has transformed me. I ran 57 miles in October, 64 in November, 74 in December and decided the week before Christmas that I was ready to really train for a specific event, and completed 101 miles in January. So today 2.06.11, 307 training miles later and on the day of one of the biggest sporting events of the year: I will start, compete, and finish maybe the biggest sporting event of my adult life, my first half-marathon. I would not be doing this without the support of my family, my friends that run/ran DISNEY which gave me the initiative to start and the tremendous support I have received here on dailymile. Thank you all, for being a part of it!
My battles are not over, as I still have plenty of weight to lose, and plenty of speed and endurance to gain. I plan on at least 2 more half-marathons this year, and think my first full will occur on 12.3.11 at the Memphis St. Jude’s Marathon.
To quote a friend from dailymile:
“Someday I will not be able to run. TODAY is not that day”

Dave, Joel, Nick, Scott, BJ, Brad, Erin, and everyone else... thanks for being the push to get me started........and my first community for running. (and introduced me to my 2nd - DM)
How did I miss this post? I must have looked right over it. Sorry.

Great post. We all have that one person that might have motivated us to start. Im glad you started period and stuck with it. Congrats.

BTW, that quote.... Perfect!

joel_maxwell

Thanks Jill. I know I always post "big" numbers, but believe me, it's not easy. Time and my mental hang-ups are always an issue. My body does take a beating, but it is so worth it when my last step hits the driveway.
The ultra is going to be he hardest thing I've done so far, so my nerves are a little shakey. I'll def be posting pics and perhaps some video after. Thanks again everyone for such a wonderful community!
How is your mental focus? I think you might have looked right over this post since most of the time you quote things, but if you did see this and didnt post, totally cool. Just wanted to make sure it came off right. Here...

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
How is your mental focus? I think you might have looked right over this post since most of the time you quote things, but if you did see this and didnt post, totally cool. Just wanted to make sure it came off right. Here...

Dude, I completely missed that post, sorry! Mental focus has been testing me. I feel so distracted and my head wanders and that never really used to happen. My head gets caught up in other things but I used to be able to control it better. Who knows...just gotta get my a-- into mental gear.

joel_maxwell

Dude, I completely missed that post, sorry! Mental focus has been testing me. I feel so distracted and my head wanders and that never really used to happen. My head gets caught up in other things but I used to be able to control it better. Who knows...just gotta get my a-- into mental gear.
Dont worry, I have faith you will get your mojo back mentally

That is funny. I dont mind my head thinking about other stuff. Ill settle my mind and think of nice calm things eg: What color would I like to paint the nursery? Then I imagine the 100's of different paint colors. Sometimes, on long runs, Ill find myself having one sided conversations with Sam (all inside my head of course). I think it is like future conversations that I know are going to take place (eg: nursery colors) and I am going on my point of views on it. :lookaroun

Does that make crazy? Anyone else do this?

Phonedave

Dont worry, I have faith you will get your mojo back mentally

That is funny. I dont mind my head thinking about other stuff. Ill settle my mind and think of nice calm things eg: What color would I like to paint the nursery? Then I imagine the 100's of different paint colors. Sometimes, on long runs, Ill find myself having one sided conversations with Sam (all inside my head of course). I think it is like future conversations that I know are going to take place (eg: nursery colors) and I am going on my point of views on it. :lookaroun

Does that make crazy? Anyone else do this?

I try and zone when I run (acheive that flow) but sometimes the mind will just not quiet down. When that is the case then I do the same as you do. I have conversations in my head, and will think about the same thing (what ever it is, buying a new car, what I need at the store, etc) in depth. I'll get caught up in those thoughts and not realize how far I ran. I am pretty sure my form sufferes for it, but it makes the miles pass faster, and I have not run into a tree yet.

-dave

joel_maxwell

I try and zone when I run (acheive that flow) but sometimes the mind will just not quiet down. When that is the case then I do the same as you do. I have conversations in my head, and will think about the same thing (what ever it is, buying a new car, what I need at the store, etc) in depth. I'll get caught up in those thoughts and not realize how far I ran. I am pretty sure my form sufferes for it, but it makes the miles pass faster, and I have not run into a tree yet.

-dave
:lol: You might agree Dave, but I have tried to clear the mechanism when thoughts keep coming in and it seems like it is more effort to do that then just let them in and wonder, for example, when the guy that lives at 1201 is ever going to cut his grass.

Only time this has caused a slight problem is when I was on my 18 miler. I got home and later told Sam, "You know that conversation we had this morning about XYZ?".... The she looked at me and informed me that she was asleep when I left to go run and had just gotten up when I got back so how could we have discussed XYZ.

Nice. That is when I had to tell her that I talked to her on runs sometimes. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom