What did you do?

Phonedave

10.51mi very early this morning. Lower back pain from...I have no idea what. Legs are still a little sore.

Here's my issue with the walking intervals during runs...I can't do it. I never stop unless it's an intersection, or a quick bathroom visit (long runs), etc...but if I stop, or try to walk and start back up again, my legs are NOT refreshed or rengergized. They just flat out hurt like hell, and my run goes downhill (no pun) from there. IF I just keep going without stopping, I'm as right as rain, and the longer the better. That is why I hate when my run ends; bring on the soreness.

I was (am) that way on longer runs. I don't carry water, I use the park water fountains - so I am forced to stop to drink. On my longer runs, my first water stop is around 4 miles or so. Starting back up after stopping for 30 seconds or so was a pain.

However, with the Galloway thing, you are walking from the get go. Run 4 walk 1, right from the start. It has a differnt effect. For the first 5 or 6 walk cycles my watch was beeping at me to slow down - I couldn't walk that slow :), in fact I ran through one of the walks because I didn't hear my watch beeping and didn't notice it until I was well down the road.

That early walking is what lets your running muscles recover quickly. If you only begin walking well into the run, it's too late for a quick walk to help you recover. At least thats what he says, and it seems to hold water.

Granted I only tried it once. And when I did try it I was running in new shoes, and with new custom RRS insoles (yeah, I dropped the coin on them - but they do make a difference) so maybe it was the shoes. what do I know.

I am still not sure if I like the run/walk thing. As I said, it takes me out of my 'zone' and on one hand makes the run more mentaly taxing because I can't zone out. On the other hand, it also breaks the run into 4 minute chunks - who can't run for 4 minutes?

I think I will try it again this Saturday. Last time it was 25 intervals of 4/1 and it came out to 10.87 miles. Maybe I will bump it up to 32 intervals and see if I get 13.91 miles out of it.

-dave

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I was (am) that way on longer runs. I don't carry water, I use the park water fountains - so I am forced to stop to drink. On my longer runs, my first water stop is around 4 miles or so. Starting back up after stopping for 30 seconds or so was a pain.

However, with the Galloway thing, you are walking from the get go. Run 4 walk 1, right from the start. It has a differnt effect. For the first 5 or 6 walk cycles my watch was beeping at me to slow down - I couldn't walk that slow :), in fact I ran through one of the walks because I didn't hear my watch beeping and didn't notice it until I was well down the road.

That early walking is what lets your running muscles recover quickly. If you only begin walking well into the run, it's too late for a quick walk to help you recover. At least thats what he says, and it seems to hold water.

Granted I only tried it once. And when I did try it I was running in new shoes, and with new custom RRS insoles (yeah, I dropped the coin on them - but they do make a difference) so maybe it was the shoes. what do I know.

I am still not sure if I like the run/walk thing. As I said, it takes me out of my 'zone' and on one hand makes the run more mentaly taxing because I can't zone out. On the other hand, it also breaks the run into 4 minute chunks - who can't run for 4 minutes?

I think I will try it again this Saturday. Last time it was 25 intervals of 4/1 and it came out to 10.87 miles. Maybe I will bump it up to 32 intervals and see if I get 13.91 miles out of it.

-dave

Damn. I remember the girl at RRS fitted me for soles when I got some new shoes, and I wasn't thinking about the cost. When she rang me up at the register...$200...I was like, "you know, the factory insoles actually feel okay, thanks :lookaroun" $100 back in my wallet and I felt great! Maybe I'll give them a try one day.

About the run/walk thing...I think I'll just zone out and go. It has worked for me, so, if it ain't broke...

Dave---for some reason, why do I picture you sipping martinis during your water stops??? The picture crossed my mind while I was running this morning and I got a chuckle...Dave all sweated up, hand on hip, sipping dry martini while scrolling the 305 data...

Texas84

Summer is back in Georgia for a few days. Hot and humid. Did a 3-miler with a 2:1 run/walk. Actually had a decent time. Decided to drop to a 2:1 to be consistent with my longer runs on Sundays. Gotta do 8 this Sunday!

fractal

Today was just a beautiful day for a run and my legs felt great. :)

6 miles - would have done at least another 2 but had to pick the kids up.

Phonedave

Damn. I remember the girl at RRS fitted me for soles when I got some new shoes, and I wasn't thinking about the cost. When she rang me up at the register...$200...I was like, "you know, the factory insoles actually feel okay, thanks :lookaroun" $100 back in my wallet and I felt great! Maybe I'll give them a try one day.

The woman I dealt with swears I can return them if I don't like them. I have high (very high) arches. That I do know. If you look at these custom molded insoles they almost look like they belong in heels, they are that bent. For the first time, my heel actually feels like it's in a heel cup, as opposed to just sliding around in the shoe. I think these were $70 - $75. I love that store, but they really do try to get you to spend some big bucks. Not really a hard sell, but just little comments, like "you know, you should be buying shoes more often than you do" and things like that.

About the run/walk thing...I think I'll just zone out and go. It has worked for me, so, if it ain't broke...

I am going to play with it a bit and see what happens.

Dave---for some reason, why do I picture you sipping martinis during your water stops??? The picture crossed my mind while I was running this morning and I got a chuckle...Dave all sweated up, hand on hip, sipping dry martini while scrolling the 305 data...

Unless the park water fountains are putting out gin, I don't know where I am getting them from :)

While I do enjoy a dry martini, I'll pass on them while running. And I have NO idea where you get these images from.

-dave

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
The woman I dealt with swears I can return them if I don't like them. I have high (very high) arches. That I do know. If you look at these custom molded insoles they almost look like they belong in heels, they are that bent. For the first time, my heel actually feels like it's in a heel cup, as opposed to just sliding around in the shoe. I think these were $70 - $75. I love that store, but they really do try to get you to spend some big bucks. Not really a hard sell, but just little comments, like "you know, you should be buying shoes more often than you do" and things like that.

I am going to play with it a bit and see what happens.

Unless the park water fountains are putting out gin, I don't know where I am getting them from :)

While I do enjoy a dry martini, I'll pass on them while running. And I have NO idea where you get these images from.

-dave

You are absolutely right about the "little" comments. They almost try and make you feel guilty. I always try and make a plan of what I need, what part of the store it's in, and a series potential answers to fire off at cornering questions and remarks. It's a whole ordeal going in there.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
10.57mi this morning. I felt like the last man on earth. Rain falling and NO ONE around on the boardwalk. Just me and the seagulls and crashing waves. Descent run.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
10.57mi this morning. I felt like the last man on earth. Rain falling and NO ONE around on the boardwalk. Just me and the seagulls and crashing waves. Descent run.
It has rained more here locally than it has all summer. Seriously. Bad storms. Probably what is hitting you now hit us 2 days ago.

Tonight it was 74 outside with 87% humidity. Boy, I was sweating BAD when I got done. I drank about 4 16.9 bottled waters today (yes, I refilled the first one so no one get in a rage environmentally :D )

4 miles - 32:09 including 45 seconds to take in some fluids at the half way point which happens to be a top this large 250 meter hill. Not a bad pace at all.

Great run.

joel_maxwell

3 miles tonight.

I have MAJOR soreness in the muscle right in the bend from my thigh to my front right ab. It is right in the fold. 2 night ago, I did Ab Ripper X and on the beginning of the program, all the in and outs, bicycle and crunchy frog did me in. Man, it hurts. Ice tonight.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
3 miles tonight.

I have MAJOR soreness in the muscle right in the bend from my thigh to my front right ab. It is right in the fold. 2 night ago, I did Ab Ripper X and on the beginning of the program, all the in and outs, bicycle and crunchy frog did me in. Man, it hurts. Ice tonight.

Are you doing all of P90X? Don't you just love Ab Ripper LOL. Amazing how hard those bicycles are. Sounds easy in theory, but doing it is another thing.

joel_maxwell

4 miles last night, 11:18 /mi
Nice Job. Keep it up.

Are you doing all of P90X? Don't you just love Ab Ripper LOL. Amazing how hard those bicycles are. Sounds easy in theory, but doing it is another thing.
I did P90X about 16 months ago. Never missed one workout and I was rock solid in my core and as a whole. I recall being able to rip off 20+ pull ups of all 4 kind during the back and legs workout. I was so pleased with the routine.

I am only doing Core Synergistics on my cross training Sunday minus the lunges. Lord, I dont need anymore leg work. I am doing Ab Ripper X about 2 times a week. This week Im not since my right thigh is really sore from it.

My core needed to get stronger again if Im going to get the best results from running a Full. Sam thinks Im crazy and just shakes her head in disbelief that I would take on ARX again (she hated that 16 minutes) but it is a must.

Interestingly enough Steve, I thought Plyometrics and Yoga (if done correctly and all the way through) were the hardest.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Nice Job. Keep it up.

I did P90X about 16 months ago. Never missed one workout and I was rock solid in my core and as a whole. I recall being able to rip off 20+ pull ups of all 4 kind during the back and legs workout. I was so pleased with the routine.

I am only doing Core Synergistics on my cross training Sunday minus the lunges. Lord, I dont need anymore leg work. I am doing Ab Ripper X about 2 times a week. This week Im not since my right thigh is really sore from it.

My core needed to get stronger again if Im going to get the best results from running a Full. Sam thinks Im crazy and just shakes her head in disbelief that I would take on ARX again (she hated that 16 minutes) but it is a must.

Interestingly enough Steve, I thought Plyometrics and Yoga (if done correctly and all the way through) were the hardest.

I have such a hard time with the yoga, its not that I find it overly difficult- just boring. I've been VERY inconsistent with it. :snore: I HATE ab ripper!!

joel_maxwell

I have such a hard time with the yoga, its not that I find it overly difficult- just boring. I've been VERY inconsistent with it. :snore: I HATE ab ripper!!
I know your pain. Sam and I would try and do that night together so we could keep each other motivated. She has taken yoga before and she didnt like this version since it is more "intense" yoga instead of relaxed yoga. I totally see the different influences and why they arent the same.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Nice Job. Keep it up.

I really like P90X, I think its easily the best and most effective workout I've ever done. It's really helped with my running.

Agreed on the Yoga - I hate it. In fact, so much that I've had to abandon it. I feel like a workout can only work if you actually want to do it, and the Yoga doesn't fit into that. The rest of it is all good though.

Did you follow the nutrition plan?

joel_maxwell

I really like P90X, I think its easily the best and most effective workout I've ever done. It's really helped with my running.

Agreed on the Yoga - I hate it. In fact, so much that I've had to abandon it. I feel like a workout can only work if you actually want to do it, and the Yoga doesn't fit into that. The rest of it is all good though.

Did you follow the nutrition plan?
The best I could. i eat pretty good as it is. A lot of bland food. What I mean by that is Ill bake a chicken breast and only season with some Lemon, Pepper and some Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I hardly if ever use salt. My weakness is vegetables. I like about 3 different kinds. That is it. I drink V8's to supplement a little. :D

If I choose to do p90X again this upcoming spring to its entirety, Ill probably skip the yoga too. The rest is awesome.

Phonedave

3 miles tonight.

Crunchy Frog .... I hate it, but I LOVE it.

"This is not Ab Ripper 100 or 200, this is Ab Ripper 392"

Is it bad that I can hear that thing in my sleep.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom