What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Wow you're quick! Nice job.

3 miles this morning, 11:03 pace.
Thanks Steve. I would like to get it down to 7:15-7:30, but, I am satisfied that I am achieving any goal and/or time goal.

Sorry to leave you hangin there Joel!

Ok, so 22.35mi yesterday.
Super cold. I've been having queezy stomach issues as of late, so just a mere 2 miles into the run I felt like I was going to puke. The queeziness lasted up unitl 5.91 miles and then subsided. I was taking it slow and got into comfortable groove. Saw many runners on the boardwalk with horrible form...
Hips started to get sore pretty early on around mile 8-9. I took a gel and more water at my halfway point (while still moving) and headed back home. Calves started cramping up and started to feel the lactic acid build-up around 12-13. I sort of zoned out and put the pain on the backburners. However, around mile 15.5, my blood-sugar just dropped. That was a first. I got a cold sweat, felt faint, and queezy. That got me into a small panic. Mile 16 there is a 7-11 right on my route, so I didn't have to go off course. I took 15 seconds (paused my 305) to by a banana, and ran while scarfing down said fruit in 2 bites. That helped big time. Not sure why that happened since I had a pretty hearty breakfast and was well hydrated.
Oh well. Thats my story. 75 1/3 miles total for the week. And Joel; GET THE 305 ALREADY! So, worth it.
Sorry you had some trouble. Glad you made that distance though. That would have freaked me out too. I have promised Sam to take my iPhone with me in my water belt pack in the event I have some situation like that and need some help.

Path of least resistance.... Sam oks the Full if I take my phone on long runs. Deal.

If she starts running after we have this baby (June) Ill give her my Polar HR/watch and Ill get a 305. :D

Phonedave

Sorry to leave you hangin there Joel!

Ok, so 22.35mi yesterday.
Super cold. I've been having queezy stomach issues as of late, so just a mere 2 miles into the run I felt like I was going to puke. The queeziness lasted up unitl 5.91 miles and then subsided. I was taking it slow and got into comfortable groove. Saw many runners on the boardwalk with horrible form...
Hips started to get sore pretty early on around mile 8-9. I took a gel and more water at my halfway point (while still moving) and headed back home. Calves started cramping up and started to feel the lactic acid build-up around 12-13. I sort of zoned out and put the pain on the backburners. However, around mile 15.5, my blood-sugar just dropped. That was a first. I got a cold sweat, felt faint, and queezy. That got me into a small panic. Mile 16 there is a 7-11 right on my route, so I didn't have to go off course. I took 15 seconds (paused my 305) to by a banana, and ran while scarfing down said fruit in 2 bites. That helped big time. Not sure why that happened since I had a pretty hearty breakfast and was well hydrated.
Oh well. Thats my story. 75 1/3 miles total for the week. And Joel; GET THE 305 ALREADY! So, worth it.

Nice distance there.

You really should pay attention to your body when it tells you something is wrong. Yeah, I know, I do it do - just keep going. People tell me the same thing and I ignore them as well, but I would not feel right not saying it.

If your blood sugar drops like that, you should have at least paused more than 15 seconds to see if it went back up. But then I do the same thing with hydration. I have a bad habit of not stopping for water. I know it's too far when all of a sudden I stop sweating and get very hot and flushed. But really, I should be stopping before I reach that point.

I ran the 14 I did this weekend on 2 pieces of dry toast. I came home and felt horrible until I got some food into me. Then I felt great. There is pushing through discomfort, and then there is being dangerous.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Nice distance there.

You really should pay attention to your body when it tells you something is wrong. Yeah, I know, I do it do - just keep going. People tell me the same thing and I ignore them as well, but I would not feel right not saying it.

If your blood sugar drops like that, you should have at least paused more than 15 seconds to see if it went back up. But then I do the same thing with hydration. I have a bad habit of not stopping for water. I know it's too far when all of a sudden I stop sweating and get very hot and flushed. But really, I should be stopping before I reach that point.

I ran the 14 I did this weekend on 2 pieces of dry toast. I came home and felt horrible until I got some food into me. Then I felt great. There is pushing through discomfort, and then there is being dangerous.

-dave
I think that is why I started taking my water belt with me at all times once I got use to having it over the summer. It is like a security blanket. There is nowhere to stop for fluids around my route. Yes, there are restaurants and houses in the event of an emergency, but no good public parks with H2O.

Funny thing is with me, when I get home from a short run of 5 and less, I can eat right away. No matter how hot I am etc. Anything over 6 I dont want food for half a day. IE: if I get up and do 10 miles Saturday morning, I will not want breakfast when I get home and I have to make myself eat lunch. Weird.

Sam preaches to me all the time to be careful and think about the consequences of being careless (1 child at home and one on the way, and then there is Sam too). I get a little wreckless to at times and have gotten sick from early signs of dehydration last year (winter run), but as long as we learn from it and try not to repeat, we are doing what we can.

I think the cold chills would have FREAKED me out.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Nice distance there.

-dave

Thanks Dave. You are absolutely right about waiting more than 15 sec. My stubborness surfacing as usual. I always stay well hydrated. I have even cut runs short if I think I don't have enough water to get me back. I even ate really well before my run. It wasn't anything different either. YOu guys know I love my long runs, and I have never had an issue like that before. Maybe it was just a freak thing, who knows. But I am glad I did stop and get that banana. Next time if that occurs I'll be sure to wait longer. Although I am proud that I actually listened to my body for once!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Thanks Steve. I would like to get it down to 7:15-7:30, but, I am satisfied that I am achieving any goal and/or time goal.

Sorry you had some trouble. Glad you made that distance though. That would have freaked me out too. I have promised Sam to take my iPhone with me in my water belt pack in the event I have some situation like that and need some help.

Path of least resistance.... Sam oks the Full if I take my phone on long runs. Deal.

If she starts running after we have this baby (June) Ill give her my Polar HR/watch and Ill get a 305. :D

Hey congratulations. I didn't know there was a little one on the way. If it was mentioned in a previous post, I'm sorry I missed it or some how don't remember!
It's funny, I gave my Polar to my wife after I got the 305 (she's not a runner, but she wanted to monitor her HR during her aerobic stuff). She's got this "thing" about having blood-pressure taken at the doctor's or even heart-related things in general ever since she was a kid, and when she put on the HR strap she started freakin out and couldn't wear it. She tore that thing off real quick!

joel_maxwell

[/B]

Hey congratulations. I didn't know there was a little one on the way. If it was mentioned in a previous post, I'm sorry I missed it or some how don't remember!
It's funny, I gave my Polar to my wife after I got the 305 (she's not a runner, but she wanted to monitor her HR during her aerobic stuff). She's got this "thing" about having blood-pressure taken at the doctor's or even heart-related things in general ever since she was a kid, and when she put on the HR strap she started freakin out and couldn't wear it. She tore that thing off real quick!
Thanks. Should be June 5th. We have mentioned to a few people (family and friends) but not in a social media environment. I wanted to wait till 10-12 weeks or so. We are right at 9 weeks and I cant keep it to myself anymore. :D If something happens, that is nature and we will deal with it accordingly. I think everything will be ok this time around too.

That is crazy about your wife. I wonder if she had a bad experience with that cuff and it squeezing her arm.

Oh, btw, Joel and Dave...I did take a rest day yesterday :eek:

You may gather your jaws up from the floor and move on now...
That a boy. Give those legs a rest.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Thanks. Should be June 5th. We have mentioned to a few people (family and friends) but not in a social media environment. I wanted to wait till 10-12 weeks or so. We are right at 9 weeks and I cant keep it to myself anymore. :D If something happens, that is nature and we will deal with it accordingly. I think everything will be ok this time around too.

That is crazy about your wife. I wonder if she had a bad experience with that cuff and it squeezing her arm.

That a boy. Give those legs a rest.

Oh man, yeah, she hates that.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
You took a rest day, so that means you only ran 8 miles - right? :D

-dave

Lol, I wish! It was killing me not to hit the asphalt, and even worse when I had to cheat and eat a Reese's Peanut Butter cup from our Halloween stash :eek:

Oh, well, scaring little kids all evening in my Crazy Joe Davola/Canio the Clown (Seinfeld) costume all night made up for it :D

joel_maxwell

Looked at photos of myself from the Norwood 5K that are now on-line

I look awful causal standing around with my hands in my pockets.

http://www.backprint.com/go.asp?85360812

-dave
Whatcha pondering Dave? :D

At least your 5K event was a d-tag event. Most around here are just general clock. Even one of our 10K's is a general clock.

The 10K (Vulcan Run) that we have this Saturday is a d-tag event. At least it better be. I think Blueliner is participating in it, but he has been a little absent around here lately. Hopefully he is alright.

3 miles last night in a light 2nd gear jog.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Dave's waitin' for that dry martini in his pic :lol:

10.17 miles yesterday. Slow pace because my hips are sore.

Lately (I have mentioned in other posts as well) I have been having a problem with nausea whenever I hit the road. I've never had this issue before. I didn't change anything in my diet and I was blaming it on the fuel belt jostling around. I think the nausea is already there, and the fuel belt just agrivates it. I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe a week and 1/2 it's been happening. I changed what I ate this morning to see if it could be diet. Anyone else have nausea issues?

joel_maxwell

Dave's waitin' for that dry martini in his pic :lol:

10.17 miles yesterday. Slow pace because my hips are sore.

Lately (I have mentioned in other posts as well) I have been having a problem with nausea whenever I hit the road. I've never had this issue before. I didn't change anything in my diet and I was blaming it on the fuel belt jostling around. I think the nausea is already there, and the fuel belt just agrivates it. I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe a week and 1/2 it's been happening. I changed what I ate this morning to see if it could be diet. Anyone else have nausea issues?
Im not a fan of doctors, but you might want to seek a medical opinion. Also, you might be building up too much lactic acid over the course of a rigorous training week and it might not be dissipating naturally or quick enough by your next run. That can cause nausea. All things point to the amount of running during your week if your are asking my professional, medical opinion. :D

I think your body is trying to tell you something.

I have never had that happen to me. Granted, I havent gotten above 30 miles in a week. That will happen soon enough though.

Phonedave

Whatcha pondering Dave? :D

At least your 5K event was a d-tag event. Most around here are just general clock. Even one of our 10K's is a general clock.

The 10K (Vulcan Run) that we have this Saturday is a d-tag event. At least it better be. I think Blueliner is participating in it, but he has been a little absent around here lately. Hopefully he is alright.

3 miles last night in a light 2nd gear jog.

Actualy it was a B-tag

I wonder somtimes how good those are. People tend to mangle the race bibs, or put them under belts etc.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Actualy it was a B-tag

I wonder somtimes how good those are. People tend to mangle the race bibs, or put them under belts etc.

-dave
I havent ever been in a B-tag event. I would think that it does have a risk of showing incorrect time or malfunctioning. I would assume it might cost a little less though.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Im not a fan of doctors, but you might want to seek a medical opinion. Also, you might be building up too much lactic acid over the course of a rigorous training week and it might not be dissipating naturally or quick enough by your next run. That can cause nausea. All things point to the amount of running during your week if your are asking my professional, medical opinion. :D

I think your body is trying to tell you something.

I have never had that happen to me. Granted, I havent gotten above 30 miles in a week. That will happen soon enough though.

Thanks Joel. Yeah, I'm not too keen on docs/hospitals either, but I have a great general doc. I will def make an appoinment to see him. About the lactic acid buil-up; that actually never occured to me. I'm glad you thought of it. I guess I underestimate the amount of that crap building up and how it affects the body. I'm just under a 100 miles a week, and I think I got to that alot quicker than I anticipated; body is def telling me something.

Anyway, 10.45 miles just now. Really cold this morning. Made an egg white sandwich on whole wheat toast with a bit of ketchup, and gatorade pre-run. Banana post-run.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Been forced inside due to Wisconsin deciding to skip fall and go directly into winter.

Done a few 4-5 mile runs in the last week. No long runs....just can't get into doing a long run like that on a treadmill.

Going to WDW next week though, and plan on doing some early morning running at the resort before we head out to the parks for the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom