What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
10.47 miles yesterday. I have had one rest day in four weeks, and yesterday was the first time I was feeling sore. *It seems he has a weakness*

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
6am this morning, 7 miles per the plan. I am proud to get that time down 24 seconds per mile from last Saturday and an extra mile.

7.2 miles - 57.31 - 7.59 pace

:D

Now I have to make a decision. Hal calls for rest on Monday, then run T, W and TH. Rest Friday and bog run on Saturday. I have read more people than not say DO NOT RUN 3 days in a row (Nick excluded). I think I can feel that in my shins. I wonder if I should move that Tuesday run to Monday and Tuesday be a rest day before a W, TH combo. Thoughts?

Phonedave

As long as I don't have a long run as one of the three, I am usually OK with it. But thats just me.

Of course last night was 6.1, this morning was the Norwood 5K, and I would really like to do 14 tomorrow. So I really don't practice what I preach.

-dave

Phonedave

Ran the Norwood 5K this morning (people running 15:14, what kind of crazy race is this)

Then I went to RRS and got some new shoes and insoles. I was in there for like 90 minutes. The person seemed like she knew what she was talking about. Maybe this will fix up my knee pain.

-dave

popsicletrees

If you remember where you went, mapmyrun.com is a big help in figuring out distance. I use it to map out courses of varying distances around my neighborhood.

That was really helpfuly - thanks for the website!

I haven't been on here in awhile, but this has been my week.

Tuesday - 1.8 miles - 20 minutes. My husband got me to do this interval running strategy that broke down like this:

2 minutes - warm-up
1 minute - 50%
1 minute - 60%
1 minute - 70%
1 minute - 80%
rinse and repeat (4x without the warm-up) until the final 2 minutes which are at 90%. I was really surprised that I did not get bored with the workout, and I actually did pretty well with it.

Wednesday - 40 minutes cardio and lightweight training
Thursday - 1.8 miles - no interval running
Friday - 45 minutes cardio and lightweight training
today - 3 Ten-Minute Trainer sessions by Tony Horton (P90x guy)

Wilt Dasney

That was really helpfuly - thanks for the website!
Glad it was helpful!

I'm finishing up Week 7 of Higdon's Novice plan...a 12-mile run in just a shade under 2:20 today. And what impressed me more than finishing was that I actually felt pretty good at the end!

Joel, I've followed Hal to the letter for the last couple months on those Tu-W-Th runs. I do notice that starting out on Wednesday and Thursday some weeks, I feel kinda done from the get-go. I think it's going to get trickier as those midweek runs keep growing, but I'm going to keep with the plan until I see a reason to change. The most important thing for me personally is that day off on Friday.

Texas84

I'm training for the January WDW half using Jeff Galloway's plan. 6.6 this AM. Longest I have ever run. Felt really good but wasn't happy with the time. Going to go mow the back yard now. :D

Wilt Dasney

I'm training for the January WDW half using Jeff Galloway's plan. 6.6 this AM. Longest I have ever run. Felt really good but wasn't happy with the time. Going to go mow the back yard now. :D
Great job! Anytime you set a new long, you should be happy with the time...or that's my philosophy anyway. Maybe I'm too eager to congratulate myself. :lol:

Phonedave

10.87 this morning.

I tried the Galloway 4:1 run/walk deal. I set my watch for a cycle of 4 minutes running, 1 minute walking, and set it for 25 cycles of that. So 2:05 for 10.87 miles. I am going to hazard a guess and say thats slower than I can do it if I run it with no walks, by about 5 minutes. I am no speed demon anyway. I am happy with that. At the end of the run, I had a slight twinge in one calf, thats about it. Those walk breaks almost make it easy.

I will say though that in a way it makes the running harder. I get into a groove / flow and just sort of zone out. I can't do that when I am listening for my watch to beep to signal interval changes.

I also tried new shoes and new insoles. Whats that about only changing one thing at a time ?

-dave

joel_maxwell

Ran the Norwood 5K this morning (people running 15:14, what kind of crazy race is this)

Then I went to RRS and got some new shoes and insoles. I was in there for like 90 minutes. The person seemed like she knew what she was talking about. Maybe this will fix up my knee pain.

-dave
Hopefully so. I love buying new gear.

Glad it was helpful!

I'm finishing up Week 7 of Higdon's Novice plan...a 12-mile run in just a shade under 2:20 today. And what impressed me more than finishing was that I actually felt pretty good at the end!

Joel, I've followed Hal to the letter for the last couple months on those Tu-W-Th runs. I do notice that starting out on Wednesday and Thursday some weeks, I feel kinda done from the get-go. I think it's going to get trickier as those midweek runs keep growing, but I'm going to keep with the plan until I see a reason to change. The most important thing for me personally is that day off on Friday.
Yes, but I think my legs are telling me something. I can tell a lot of stress in my lower legs better known as Anterior Tibial Tendonitis. I think breaking up those 3 days in a row will help. Besides, I dont think moving a Tuesday run to Monday will really hurt anything, just help. I might try 1 more week since Saturday is a fall back day of only 5 miles.

Either way, Im getting the mileage in. I would argue quality over being stubborn. :D

10.87 this morning.

I tried the Galloway 4:1 run/walk deal. I set my watch for a cycle of 4 minutes running, 1 minute walking, and set it for 25 cycles of that. So 2:05 for 10.87 miles. I am going to hazard a guess and say thats slower than I can do it if I run it with no walks, by about 5 minutes. I am no speed demon anyway. I am happy with that. At the end of the run, I had a slight twinge in one calf, thats about it. Those walk breaks almost make it easy.

I will say though that in a way it makes the running harder. I get into a groove / flow and just sort of zone out. I can't do that when I am listening for my watch to beep to signal interval changes.

I also tried new shoes and new insoles. Whats that about only changing one thing at a time ?

-dave
Yes, that is why I wouldnt try the 4:1 ratio for my personal runs. i know it works for some, but I think our run threshold might be a little higher than some and that is ok either way. I will try a 5 miles to 1 minute walk or a 4 miles to a 1 minute walk rather than 4 or 5 minutes to 1.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
10.51mi very early this morning. Lower back pain from...I have no idea what. Legs are still a little sore.

Here's my issue with the walking intervals during runs...I can't do it. I never stop unless it's an intersection, or a quick bathroom visit (long runs), etc...but if I stop, or try to walk and start back up again, my legs are NOT refreshed or rengergized. They just flat out hurt like hell, and my run goes downhill (no pun) from there. IF I just keep going without stopping, I'm as right as rain, and the longer the better. That is why I hate when my run ends; bring on the soreness.

joel_maxwell

Last night 3 miles in 1st gear. I decided to move the Tuesday recovery run to Monday so I dont have 3 days in a row.

Sunday is still cross training
Monday is easy 3, 4 or 5
Tuesday is Ab Ripper X = Pain

Question: I have a local 10K (Vulcan Run) in 2 weeks. That saturday, per the schedule, I was supposed to do 9. Obviously I'll only be doing 6. I wonder if I should come home and run an additional 3 or since this 6 will be at race pace, it would be equivalent to 9 at a nice/moderate pace? Hmmmm.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Last night 3 miles in 1st gear. I decided to move the Tuesday recovery run to Monday so I dont have 3 days in a row.

Sunday is still cross training
Monday is easy 3, 4 or 5
Tuesday is Ab Ripper X = Pain

Question: I have a local 10K (Vulcan Run) in 2 weeks. That saturday, per the schedule, I was supposed to do 9. Obviously I'll only be doing 6. I wonder if I should come home and run an additional 3 or since this 6 will be at race pace, it would be equivalent to 9 at a nice/moderate pace? Hmmmm.

That is what I would normally do...however, I am going against my own natural instinct here. Just do the race and work your a__ off, and forget about that extra 3 miles after. You're body is going to want to recover after that race pace :eek: *did he just say, DON'T do it???* Yes, yes I did. I am slowly learning that after 100 miles per week, the body needs to recover.

If you are really itching to to get those 3 miles in, just do a really slow "cool down" jog after the race. Nothing intense. And make sure to eat after!

Andrew54

10.51mi very early this morning. Lower back pain from...I have no idea what. Legs are still a little sore.

Here's my issue with the walking intervals during runs...I can't do it. I never stop unless it's an intersection, or a quick bathroom visit (long runs), etc...but if I stop, or try to walk and start back up again, my legs are NOT refreshed or rengergized. They just flat out hurt like hell, and my run goes downhill (no pun) from there. IF I just keep going without stopping, I'm as right as rain, and the longer the better. That is why I hate when my run ends; bring on the soreness.

I am the same way if I stop or slow down at all, I just can't get my pace back up. I just never stop.

joel_maxwell

That is what I would normally do...however, I am going against my own natural instinct here. Just do the race and work your a__ off, and forget about that extra 3 miles after. You're body is going to want to recover after that race pace :eek: *did he just say, DON'T do it???* Yes, yes I did. I am slowly learning that after 100 miles per week, the body needs to recover.

If you are really itching to to get those 3 miles in, just do a really slow "cool down" jog after the race. Nothing intense. And make sure to eat after!
This is what im thinking. If anything, maybe Sunday morning go jog in 1st gear just to stretch back out. The course is a bit hilly. Ironically enough though, part of the hilly area is in my normal training route of my long runs. I know this territory.

Thanks for the input Nick. BTW, glad you are getting those high mile weeks, but also glad you are getting some rest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom