What did you do?

dreamfinder

Enjoyable long runs? That's an oxymoron in my book.:lol:

Once you get in a rhythm it is actually quite enjoyable. For the last year or two I like 5k's, and stuff in the double digits. Anything in between just kinda gets meh for me. Not really long enough to settle into a comfortable routine and zone out, and to long to think about how soon it will be over.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
3.5 miles yesterday.....

I will agree that it takes me almost 2 miles just to get into my groove...once I'm in that groove I feel like I could run all day....if I can keep the sweat out of my eyes.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
the first few miles are TORTURE

I'm cool as a cucumber at mile 11...but the first 3 miles I might as well be running on rusty nails.
I am reading a lot about different techniques to accomplish a Full. Jeff Galloway suggest walking for 1-2 minutes every 5 miles or so. Yes, it will add 10 minutes of walk time to your final finish time, but it will prevent crashing at mile 18-20 and prevent you from having a very slow poor finish. That 1 to 2 minute walk will help your body reset mentally and physically.

He basically said that if you take that 26.2 in sections, 5 miles, then reset, 5 miles, reset... so on and so forth you can avoid the wall. Im all for that. :D

Nick, I know that we might have the same mentality of just go go go and NO walking, but I might have to try this. On really hot days and on long runs, I have been know to walk for 30 seconds to take in some fluids peacefully, Ill say that if you can fight the urge to walk again for a certain distance, it really does reset any pains in the legs or mental pains.

Weird.

Phonedave

I am reading a lot about different techniques to accomplish a Full. Jeff Galloway suggest walking for 1-2 minutes every 5 miles or so. Yes, it will add 10 minutes of walk time to your final finish time, but it will prevent crashing at mile 18-20 and prevent you from having a very slow poor finish. That 1 to 2 minute walk will help your body reset mentally and physically.

He basically said that if you take that 26.2 in sections, 5 miles, then reset, 5 miles, reset... so on and so forth you can avoid the wall. Im all for that. :D

Nick, I know that we might have the same mentality of just go go go and NO walking, but I might have to try this. On really hot days and on long runs, I have been know to walk for 30 seconds to take in some fluids peacefully, Ill say that if you can fight the urge to walk again for a certain distance, it really does reset any pains in the legs or mental pains.

Weird.

Where I run I use water fountains quite a bit (as opposed to carrying water) and by nature of them, you have to stop to drink.

I stop, get a drink, and stand there for 10 - 15 seconds. Then it's a mental voice in me that says "OK, Time to get back at it" and the next 50 yards or so STINK, but then it's right back into my groove, but with more energy.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Where I run I use water fountains quite a bit (as opposed to carrying water) and by nature of them, you have to stop to drink.

I stop, get a drink, and stand there for 10 - 15 seconds. Then it's a mental voice in me that says "OK, Time to get back at it" and the next 50 yards or so STINK, but then it's right back into my groove, but with more energy.

-dave
I think I might start making it a habit no matter what to stop and walk while taking in a little water. Usually I wait for around every 2 miles, plus a little downhill after a hill climb to take some fluid while running.

I see a different picture here and it isnt how far did you run without stopping, it is how strong did you finish and how much did you enjoy the run.

BTW, I have started the book Zen and the Art of Running. Im 10 pages in, but cant wait to start reading again after the kiddo gets in bed tonight.

Phonedave

I think I might start making it a habit no matter what to stop and walk while taking in a little water. Usually I wait for around every 2 miles, plus a little downhill after a hill climb to take some fluid while running.

I see a different picture here and it isnt how far did you run without stopping, it is how strong did you finish and how much did you enjoy the run.

BTW, I have started the book Zen and the Art of Running. Im 10 pages in, but cant wait to start reading again after the kiddo gets in bed tonight.

Tonight was 6+ miles. Running was great, and was amazed at how little conditioning I had lost by taking a week off. Then at around mile 5 my shoe came untied (for the first time EVER) I squatted down to tie it. Lets just say that final mile was harder than the first 5. Wow, squats in the middle of a run is not fun. I stopped for water at 5.5 and walked for about 20 seconds. Ufff.

-dave

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Yesterday, as I posted before, was my first rest day in a long while.

Did just a little over an hour of upper body work: push-ups, tricep dips, curls (two 20lb dumbells), etc..

It was killing me not to hit the road. We'll see if I can run today...

joel_maxwell

Tonight was 6+ miles. Running was great, and was amazed at how little conditioning I had lost by taking a week off. Then at around mile 5 my shoe came untied (for the first time EVER) I squatted down to tie it. Lets just say that final mile was harder than the first 5. Wow, squats in the middle of a run is not fun. I stopped for water at 5.5 and walked for about 20 seconds. Ufff.

-dave
Oy. I bet that feeling resembled when you have run for over an hour and havent straightened your arms from their natural 90ish degree angle. That is a weird feeling if you straighten them.

Yesterday, as I posted before, was my first rest day in a long while.

Did just a little over an hour of upper body work: push-ups, tricep dips, curls (two 20lb dumbells), etc..

It was killing me not to hit the road. We'll see if I can run today...
Good Job Nick. I know it is hard, but one more day of recovery couldnt hurt. Most likely, day 2 would be the day your body really feels the rest.

Blueliner

Ah. What a soul that is missed. Randy Rhodes was awesome. Ill say that Zakk Wylde did a great job on the the No More Tears album. I love all of Ozzy's stuff after Sabbath. I could probably put ALL except 2 songson the No More Tears album on my ishuffle to run too.

Sunday is usually my big run day but I did it this morning since I had a lot of yard work to do today and I knew Id be sore tomorrow morning. Besides, I have run a lot this week and my body was really feeling gelled (if that is a word). Today was a little slower than I wanted. I wanted a 8:45 pace (ish). Oh well. I had fun and that is all that matters. :D

11 miles - 1:40:45
9.09 pace

Considering the weather at the W&D and how it is comparable or not as bad as the weather Im training in, Im shooting for 1:50:00. Ill be happy with and 8:30 pace which would be somewhere between 1:50:00 and 1:55:00. Unless the wheels fall off and I have a terrible night, I think this is doable. Realistically, Ill be content with anything under 2:00:00. :D

Great job! My guess is that you'll have no problem cracking 1:50:00. Right now, I am getting a little worried about my training volume. I have gotten absolute slammed with work, and it has been difficult, between work and family duties (getting kids to and from practice, helping with homework, etc.), to get in some runs. Hopefully I'll be able to break free soon.

I ran about two miles down in Mobile at about 8:30 a.m. on Sunday. It was like I was running on another planet in terms of the humidity. I had a hard time getting the O2 in my lungs.

This morning's 5 mile run in Homewood at 5:30 a.m. was actually pretty pleasant. I think it was about 68 or 69 degrees. Hopefully, we'll be dealing with similar temperatures (or colder) on October 2.

It looks like a lot of us are getting an occasional break from the heat. So we have that going for us, which is nice. Keep up the good work, everyone!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
9.10 just now. I took it really easy as not to re-injure myself...turned off my pace alert on my 305 (set to go off if I drop below 9:00) and ran a slow 10 min pace.

Some pain in my left knee and lower back but not awful, and it went away at the 4.5 mile mark.

I'm just going to ease back into my routine and see what happens. 10k race in a few weeks.

joel_maxwell

Great job! My guess is that you'll have no problem cracking 1:50:00. Right now, I am getting a little worried about my training volume. I have gotten absolute slammed with work, and it has been difficult, between work and family duties (getting kids to and from practice, helping with homework, etc.), to get in some runs. Hopefully I'll be able to break free soon.

I ran about two miles down in Mobile at about 8:30 a.m. on Sunday. It was like I was running on another planet in terms of the humidity. I had a hard time getting the O2 in my lungs.

This morning's 5 mile run in Homewood at 5:30 a.m. was actually pretty pleasant. I think it was about 68 or 69 degrees. Hopefully, we'll be dealing with similar temperatures (or colder) on October 2.

It looks like a lot of us are getting an occasional break from the heat. So we have that going for us, which is nice. Keep up the good work, everyone!
Yes, it felt great this morning. I wish I would have gotten up and done my 4. I might do that tomorrow for my 2 miles I have to run.

If you ran on Lakeshore track I bet the tree canopy next to that creek provided a little extra coolness to the air. I like running there on occasion.

I dont think ill have a problem with the 1:50:00 pace either come race day but I am a huge advocate for "you play like you practice". I am gaining peace with the fact that walking every so many miles for 30 seconds is not a bad thing and Im not a wuss for doing it. :lol:

I havent been in a race to this magnitude of people. The largest I ran in had about 2,000-2,500. I cant recall the cap on this one. The first 2 or 3 miles I bet are going to be mentally challenging just from a standpoint of not hitting anyone and staying in your lane.

DisneyRunner

Today, running with walk breaks, around four miles. Still trying to get my groove back. The weather is fall like after the heat and humidity.

Phonedave

4 and change today

Nothing on the schedule tomorrow (aside from eating lobster)

Long run scheduled for Sat (9 - 10 miles I think)

-dave

joel_maxwell

Today, running with walk breaks, around four miles. Still trying to get my groove back. The weather is fall like after the heat and humidity.
Keep pushing. You will be fine.

4 and change today

Nothing on the schedule tomorrow (aside from eating lobster)

Long run scheduled for Sat (9 - 10 miles I think)

-dave
Let us know Saturday how it went.

Today, I did 4 miles at a 8.25 pace. Pretty good run. I had a moment or two were things werent fun. All in all, glad I finished strong.

Phonedave

Keep pushing. You will be fine.

Let us know Saturday how it went.

Today, I did 4 miles at a 8.25 pace. Pretty good run. I had a moment or two were things werent fun. All in all, glad I finished strong.

I am debating getting some new insoles and using them on Saturday.

My right foot has been going numb lately, in the forefoot area, after 3-4 miles. I am a bigger guy (6'4" 212 lbs) so I put a lot of compressive force on my shoes. This current pair of shoes has 206 miles on them, so maybe thats whats happening, i have squashed the cushion out of them. I just don't know about running 10 with new equipment.

We will see.

-dave

joel_maxwell

I am debating getting some new insoles and using them on Saturday.

My right foot has been going numb lately, in the forefoot area, after 3-4 miles. I am a bigger guy (6'4" 212 lbs) so I put a lot of compressive force on my shoes. This current pair of shoes has 206 miles on them, so maybe thats whats happening, i have squashed the cushion out of them. I just don't know about running 10 with new equipment.

We will see.

-dave
I know exactly how you feel. I had a conversation with Nick about this same subject. I have a pair of Mizunos in a neutral pronation. Love the shoe. They have around 200 miles on them too. The fit perfect the first 100 and naturally, the cushion has settled a little in the arch. On my right leg, Im getting some knee pain and right above the inside ankle.

I need to get a new shoe with a little more arch support so on the tail end of miles (100-400ish) they will fit perfect. On the front end, they might be just a little too much, but they always settle. *sigh* Such a pain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom