What did you do?

Texas84

It's freaking hot in Georgia. Cut my grass today and almost died. My 5k yesterday was not as bad but I jogged it (14 mins/mile). The humidity was down a bit and breathing was easier. But it was back today!

fractal

Got in 6 miles yesterday in some brutual heat - I slowed my pace and took a walk break after 3 miles. Today is supposed to be hotter.:eek:

Wilt Dasney

Got in a pretty slow 5 miles yesterday. That's my personal long, but I was hoping for an 11-minute average. I had to settle for around 12:36 in this blasted weather. But at least I finished. I was about ready to give up at 2 1/2.

I also dropped my water bottle down a storm drain. It was not my most triumphant outing. :lol:

fractal

HOT HOT HOT today! 98 degrees. Hit the wall at 4 miles - after that I walked it in. I decided to not push it and to "listen" to the creaks and rattles coming from my body. So glad I did.

GoofyFan1

Original Poster
I'm Back. It's been since May 17th since I've been able to run. Tonight an easy 3 miles. It didn"t feel too bad and it's nice to be back out on the road.

sweetpee_1993

I finally hit the pavement last night for the 1st time in better than a month following my bout with serious overheating. I did a 30 minute walk/run on intervals. I headed out at about 8:45 pm with the temperature at around 84. It's warmer than I would ever attempt again during the day but with no sun beating down it was actually bearable. I stayed right in our little neighborhood making 4 trips around weaving the streets. My youngest son rode his bike alongside me & constantly gave encouragement. I made sure to tell him how much his being with me helped. I sat my bottled water & a towel out on my driveway for access as I passed. It worked out pretty good. I sure felt good getting out & about. When the sun goes down will be my only shot at running for now. I'm glad I did it. Brian wants to go again tonight except this time he wants to do my intervals on foot with me. Yaaaay!!! Company!!!!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Did 4.22 miles yesterday...so hot out. Did two other 10ks and a 5k the other days. I'll do another 10k later on today. It's just too hot for me to hit double-digit miles this week.

fractal

I finally hit the pavement last night for the 1st time in better than a month following my bout with serious overheating. I did a 30 minute walk/run on intervals. I headed out at about 8:45 pm with the temperature at around 84. It's warmer than I would ever attempt again during the day but with no sun beating down it was actually bearable. I stayed right in our little neighborhood making 4 trips around weaving the streets. My youngest son rode his bike alongside me & constantly gave encouragement. I made sure to tell him how much his being with me helped. I sat my bottled water & a towel out on my driveway for access as I passed. It worked out pretty good. I sure felt good getting out & about. When the sun goes down will be my only shot at running for now. I'm glad I did it. Brian wants to go again tonight except this time he wants to do my intervals on foot with me. Yaaaay!!! Company!!!!

Good for you! Glad to see you back on the saddle.

My advise, fwiw, is to always listen to your body. I'm not a professional runner or a competitive runner - I run (jog) to stay in shape and for the mental benefits. If my body is telling me to stop or slow down I do. I walk for a few minutes and see if I feel better - if not ( rarely ) I pack it in. Usually the walk break is just what I need and then I'm off running and usually feel great.

Anyway, good luck on your return!

sweetpee_1993

Good for you! Glad to see you back on the saddle.

My advise, fwiw, is to always listen to your body. I'm not a professional runner or a competitive runner - I run (jog) to stay in shape and for the mental benefits. If my body is telling me to stop or slow down I do. I walk for a few minutes and see if I feel better - if not ( rarely ) I pack it in. Usually the walk break is just what I need and then I'm off running and usually feel great.

Anyway, good luck on your return!

Hey, I really appreciate that! Seriously. It's always harder to get back in the saddle when you fall off. Just getting out there was the biggest step in the right direction.

That said, I went out again last night. It was definitely hotter: 87 degrees at 8:45 pm. Right now I'm loosely following the pattern in the 'Couch to 5k' schedule so I can hit that 30 minutes of constant jogging. I started out setting myself back to 1.5 minutes alternating jog/walk. Tonight I'll start bumping it up. I **am** walking very frequently for now which is good so I can get the old bod acclimated. I know, pitiful compared to others on here who seem like they walk out the door and they're like gazelles striding along for miles and miles. Jogging/running is not something that I'm just naturally good at. It's really tough for me. My challenge is the breathing. I can handle pain in my legs or feet or what have you. Pain is something I generally can pull my brain into & push past. I'd say the majority of my focus throughout my run/walk times is tuning into my lungs so I can stay in control. Ever since I was 12 or so it's not uncommon for me to go from a little breathless to full on gasping just because I lose control. I hate feeling like such a wuss so that's one of my reasons for even doing any of this. LOL!

My 12 yro son, Brian, put his running shoes on and followed me out last night. Bless his heart. When we first got started he didn't want to jog so slowly. I kept telling him to make himself stay slow so he'd last. He bounces & moves about a lot when he runs. It's almost like he's on a trampoline. LOL! He's stick-thin and not the most coordinated. I tried to show him to move slow, steady, controlled, and calm to keep the body on an even keel, reduce shock on the joints, save energy, etc. I guess Brian underestimated the intervals & longevity. They do sound & look easier than they are. Less than halfway thru he started to get worn down. He started lagging behind. 3/4 of the way thru he was walking slowly back to the house. I suppose he has a whole new respect for the old chick that I am. When I got back home he was pretty upset, said he didn't want me to think of him as a weakling. ((Of course I don't!!!)) I explained that distance running isn't like sprinting. There's ways to train your body to move so that it's not that hard. I offered to help him as much as possible. If he takes me up on the offer or not, I don't know. For now he says he'll ride his bike with me so he can be my encouragement. Maybe I'll have him put on his backpack with some bottled water and we'll venture out the gates of our little subdivision into the big 2nd phase that's back behind us.

Overall, I'm enjoying jogging/walking at night even with the heat. It's late enough that especially on week nights everyone is home already so there's few cars moving about. It's pretty peaceful. Last night we watched big clouds out on the horizon that had occasional flashes of lightning illuminate them. So pretty! It was like our own personal fireworks show!

fractal

Amazing what heat can do to you. Temps dropped from mid-high 90's to mid 80's and I'm back today with an easy 6miles.

sweetpee - yes, it's all about the breathing.

as far as pain, have you had a professional look at your gait and recommend proper shoes? I used to buy Nike running shoes at ________'s ( on sale ) and after a decent run my feet/shins would kill me, and the next day it was difficult just moving around. I thought it was a combination of my age and my weight at the time. Somebody recommended I go to a local running shop and they analyzed the way I ran and how my feet struck the ground. They told me the Nike's actually amplified all the bad things my feet where doing and they put me in a pair of New Balances designed for my "gait". Needless to say, I no longer have that pain and can now run everyday if I wanted. They weren't cheap but worth every penny.

sweetpee_1993

Amazing what heat can do to you. Temps dropped from mid-high 90's to mid 80's and I'm back today with an easy 6miles.

sweetpee - yes, it's all about the breathing.

as far as pain, have you had a professional look at your gait and recommend proper shoes? I used to buy Nike running shoes at ________'s ( on sale ) and after a decent run my feet/shins would kill me, and the next day it was difficult just moving around. I thought it was a combination of my age and my weight at the time. Somebody recommended I go to a local running shop and they analyzed the way I ran and how my feet struck the ground. They told me the Nike's actually amplified all the bad things my feet where doing and they put me in a pair of New Balances designed for my "gait". Needless to say, I no longer have that pain and can now run everyday if I wanted. They weren't cheap but worth every penny.

Yep! I went from Nike's to my Brooks and the difference is amazing. The Brooks have always felt like they're made for my feet. They're so comfortable! The physical pain I referenced is a muscular thing. Whenever I jog after a few minutes (right now because I'm waaay out of shape) my legs ache especially in the thighs & glutes. I stretch thoroughly before & after my run/walks and never feel any such aching whenever I'm not jogging. It's just my lazy body trying to protest. I've read a couple books about gait & form & such. I feel pretty comfortable in what I'm doing. I certainly don't feel like I'm bouncing & flailing about like my 12 year old does. That seriously looked painful & exhausting! :lol:

I was out again last night. Not sure of the temperature but with us having rain during the day it was as muggy as WDW is after a summertime rain shower. Brian (the 12 year old) didn't want to attempt keeping up on foot again. Poor guy. He wanted to go with me, tho, so he put on my backpack with a couple bottles of water & a towel in it, and headed out alongside me. We went outside our neighborhood gates into the 2nd phase area behind us. It's lit with streetlights and has a security guard that patrols. Not many houses back there yet so it's pretty quiet. Brian made sure to ride ahead whenever I was approaching a gate so it'd be open for me. He stayed right with me, encouraged me lots, and had fun all at the same time (normally the boys aren't allowed to ride their bikes outside our gates). I increased my run to walk ratio a tad. Tonight I'll further reduce my walk segments to step things up another hair. I'm gradually working in the right direction. It's slow but I'll get there! :cool:

Wilt Dasney

It's warmer than I would ever attempt again during the day but with no sun beating down it was actually bearable.
That's what I've found too. Temperature seems to affect me less than the position of the sun in the sky. I make it a point to go out about 30 minutes before sunset (according to Weather.com), and even though the temps are still in the 80s at that time right now, the sun is low enough that I can handle it. That seems to be the difference anyway...I know that running at the same temp during the middle of the day just drains me!

---

Meanwhile, I set another personal high today...5.5 miles in 1:08. About 12:24 average, so still well inside "Disney time." I'm feeling better and better about this. :D

sweetpee_1993

^^^

Well **yaaay** for new personal bests! That's awesome! Yeah, if I go out in the morning the sun is coming up & temps are increasing while my temp is increasing. Not helpful. At least in the evening the sun isn't out to get me & temps are decreasing some. That's waaay better.

I rested last night. Fell asleep quite early & slept a solid 11 hours. I must've needed that. Lol! Will be sure to get out there this evening. I don't wanna fall off my little wagon again. :animwink:

DisneyRunner

Today while running on the high school track, a mother and daughter showed up. Mom brought the bike, one of those small ones, for the daughter to ride on the track, while she ran. It was cute. The girl was around four years old.

Phonedave

Yep! I went from Nike's to my Brooks and the difference is amazing. The Brooks have always felt like they're made for my feet. They're so comfortable! The physical pain I referenced is a muscular thing. Whenever I jog after a few minutes (right now because I'm waaay out of shape) my legs ache especially in the thighs & glutes. I stretch thoroughly before & after my run/walks and never feel any such aching whenever I'm not jogging. It's just my lazy body trying to protest. I've read a couple books about gait & form & such. I feel pretty comfortable in what I'm doing. I certainly don't feel like I'm bouncing & flailing about like my 12 year old does. That seriously looked painful & exhausting! :lol:

I was out again last night. Not sure of the temperature but with us having rain during the day it was as muggy as WDW is after a summertime rain shower. Brian (the 12 year old) didn't want to attempt keeping up on foot again. Poor guy. He wanted to go with me, tho, so he put on my backpack with a couple bottles of water & a towel in it, and headed out alongside me. We went outside our neighborhood gates into the 2nd phase area behind us. It's lit with streetlights and has a security guard that patrols. Not many houses back there yet so it's pretty quiet. Brian made sure to ride ahead whenever I was approaching a gate so it'd be open for me. He stayed right with me, encouraged me lots, and had fun all at the same time (normally the boys aren't allowed to ride their bikes outside our gates). I increased my run to walk ratio a tad. Tonight I'll further reduce my walk segments to step things up another hair. I'm gradually working in the right direction. It's slow but I'll get there! :cool:

Thats great that your getting back out there and wonderful that your kid goes with you. Sometimes mine do, they go on their bikes, but then they complain they are tired. I am like "wait, I am the one running here, what is wrong with this picture'. My 8 y/o want's to seriously start running though, and she has the long lean body for it. I am friends with the local High School cross country coach, and he saw her the other day and asked me if I started her running yet :)

About the shoes, it's not the manufacturer, it's the model of shoe. Most manufacturers make models for overpronaters, underprontaers, and neutral feet. When the need for a new shoe comes up, go to a running store. I go to RoadRunners. They do a great job. They put you on a treadmill in bare feet and take slow motion video and you stand on this mat the measures the pressure points in your feet so you know where you weight balance is. They then recommend a number of shoes. The whole testing thing (called Shoe Dog) is free, and there is NO pressure to buy the most expensive shoe, or the newest fancies things.

-dave

sweetpee_1993

Dave, I'd love to get my boys out running with me. It'd be so good for them. If they wanted to I'd help 'em out. My youngest is tall & thin also but he has this total lack of coordination working against him. Seriously. When he runs it's just pitiful to watch. I've got to get some video of it somehow. I don't know how he moves that way. If I could get him to focus on his movements I think that could be improved in time but wowzers. I'd be clueless where to even start. LOL!

This evening Brian hit the road with me again. He took his bike & carried the water & a towel. Such a good little guy. He was happy to plan my water breaks with me, encourage me while jogging, and make sure the gate was open both times we passed thru. Fun stuff. I did pretty good for having taken a night off. It sure was hot but with the 2 water stops I did just fine. The heat is so brutal. I can't wait for summer to be over. :cool: Tomorrow night we're planning on going to see Toy Story 3 so I'll probably hit the stair stepper during the day just to get some sort of activity. We'll see how I manage Tuesday. We never miss Deadliest Catch on Tuesdays. Maybe I'll forgo the first run at 8:00 so I can run then catch it the 2nd time around at 10 or 11. I'll have to think on that one. Sad when ya gotta plan around your one & only regular tv show. :hammer:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Had a great 5 mile run yesterday. According to Jeff Galloway chart about heat and additional time on you pace, I am dead on my pace even thought it was more.

5 miles in 41:23 (8:16) pace
According to his chart, I ran in 75-80 degree weather so I needed to add 58 seconds to each mile time (according to what i normally run in 60 or below weather). This would put me right on with what I normally do.

I still just cant break that 7 minute mile time. Errrr, but ill take a 7:15 mile anyday :D

MCC1

Hot in the Northeast today...knocked out my 4.4 loop early in the a.m. but already sticky, so bagged the striders on the track for today.

sweetpee_1993

Well, we didn't make it to the movie last nite. DH was just too beat from work & another episode with his blood pressure dropping suddenly. Those things always drain him so bad. I was pretty worn down myself after so many nights with so little sleep (insomnia has been brutal this year). I wasn't feeling like running & had no plans to. Then my sidekick, Brian, comes trotting down the stairs at 8:00 last night all suited up w/the backpack strapped on announcing he was ready to go when I was. Ugh. I started to tell him I wasn't feeling like it but the look on his face, that melting of expression from anxious excitement to disappointed understanding, hit my little momma-nerve just the right way. I hopped off the sofa where I had been half-dozing off & said, "You know what? I changed my mind. You're right. I need to go."

Did my 30 minutes without any trouble. I decreased my walk segment & maintained my same jog segment. It was a challenging at times which was a good thing. Of course it was hot as sin out there. Watched a lot of big, scary clouds move in from the horizon which worried me some but I was able to finish up without cutting short.

I'm glad my son enjoys the time he spends being my sidekick out on the runs. He got me off my tookus last night. I needed that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom