What did you do?

fractal

Today was a pretty momentous day: some pushups, 2 miles walking, and...officially registering for the 2011 WDW Half Marathon. *gulp*

Now that I'm financially invested, I know I won't slack off on the training. :lol:

My longest competitive distance so far is 5K, and I'm not much beyond that distance in my regular runs. Lot of ground to cover to get to 13.1!

Good for you! Big difference between a 5k and 1/2 marathon - I would check out some resources on how to prep for a 1/2 marathon - I wish you the best.

Someday I hope to have the guts to sign up for one of those.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I have officially learned a valuable lesson.... training in fall, winter and spring are completely different then training in Summer in Alabama. I have only been running since last November ( for my first half, followed by a half this spring) so I havent trained in heat/humidity like we have today.

Granted, the last time I did any strenuous training was probably during football and baseball in 1993. Long time and 17 years ago.

I about died yesterday. Did 4 miles which usually is a piece of cake with a 7:20ish pace but managed a 8:05 pace with 1 stop for water and 20 seconds of fast walking. I have to learn to not compare training from earlier this year and now since they are completely incomparable.

After reading Jeff Galloways training tips for heat and humidity, I learned that I have to train completely different and not expect my goals from months ago. Now that I know that, I feel much better.

I know this sounds silly, but Im glad I did some reading before I pushed myself to still maintain those time goals of months ago and end up hurting myself or dead.

Wilt Dasney

Good for you! Big difference between a 5k and 1/2 marathon - I would check out some resources on how to prep for a 1/2 marathon - I wish you the best.

Someday I hope to have the guts to sign up for one of those.
Thanks for the encouragement!

I've found some training plans online that I plan to stick to as the day gets nearer. For now, I'm just trying to build up my endurance. I ran 4 miles Saturday, my longest distance so far. Almost 1/3 of the half marathon distance, so I feel good about it so far.

Wilt Dasney

I have officially learned a valuable lesson.... training in fall, winter and spring are completely different then training in Summer in Alabama. I have only been running since last November ( for my first half, followed by a half this spring) so I havent trained in heat/humidity like we have today.

Granted, the last time I did any strenuous training was probably during football and baseball in 1993. Long time and 17 years ago.

I about died yesterday. Did 4 miles which usually is a piece of cake with a 7:20ish pace but managed a 8:05 pace with 1 stop for water and 20 seconds of fast walking. I have to learn to not compare training from earlier this year and now since they are completely incomparable.

After reading Jeff Galloways training tips for heat and humidity, I learned that I have to train completely different and not expect my goals from months ago. Now that I know that, I feel much better.

I know this sounds silly, but Im glad I did some reading before I pushed myself to still maintain those time goals of months ago and end up hurting myself or dead.

Heat'll kill ya, man. I do my best to avoid it by running late in the day, but I know everybody doesn't have that option. Like you've already learned, just don't kill yourself pushing for arbitrary goals.

joel_maxwell

Heat'll kill ya, man. I do my best to avoid it by running late in the day, but I know everybody doesn't have that option. Like you've already learned, just don't kill yourself pushing for arbitrary goals.
Heat around here last almost all in the evening. It wont cool off till around 9. That is too late so Im going to start running at 5am.

I also have considered not making the Food & Wine about time like the last 2 halves. I just dont think it would be wise. Especially on the tail end of a 4 day vacation, the temps and it being at 10pm. Im just not going to stress over it.

DisneyRunner

Today was my last strength training day before my half, June 19. Now the plan increases the running from four days to five, out of six days. I'm running with someone who has done the ironman twice. She is using this run as a training run for a half ironman in July. So, I'm a little nervous. I don't want to let her down.

joel_maxwell

Today was my last strength training day before my half, June 19. Now the plan increases the running from four days to five, out of six days. I'm running with someone who has done the ironman twice. She is using this run as a training run for a half ironman in July. So, I'm a little nervous. I don't want to let her down.
Stay mentally tough and kick some butt. :wave: Let us know how things turn out.

bdevil4

3 miles today, frustrated by the heat (not to mention some knee pain), even at 7am. Perhaps June was not the smartest time to start training for my first half? ;)

MCC1

4.4 loop today, and in this neck of the woods weather this morning was perfect...wish I could have played hooky and did a long run, but alas, there are bills to pay (and Disney trips to save for). Debating between my small town 5 mile race Sunday morining, or the elite Litchfield Hills 7 Miler Sunday afternoon...

joel_maxwell

3 miles today, frustrated by the heat (not to mention some knee pain), even at 7am. Perhaps June was not the smartest time to start training for my first half? ;)
I dont know? I started last November in the nice cool air. Now, it is hard for me to mentally except the times im coming in with now since they are slower then my training of months ago. If you continue, your fall and winter months will be much better. :D

Yesterday's run on the Jeff Galloway schedule: 4 miles, 89 degrees at time of run, hilly neighborhood, 30:59. Woot. Ill take it.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
5 Mile Race this morning in my hometown.

51 minutes flat...not bad....off my PR by about 3 minutes though...grr...

AUPr8Hd

Took a week or so off around Memorial Day and the following week due to shin pain in my left leg. Went to LRS for some new shoes and getting back into the swing of things now.

Ran a total of about 6 miles for the week. Really in a different league than most of y'all :lol:

It seems the temperature and humidity have started early this year. :fork: is what it feels like, even late in the evening.

Erin_Akey

I went two miles this morning. Just had surgery a week ago Friday and so I am not supposed to run until my stitches come out a week from this coming Friday!

I did a walk/run - just began training for my first Half Marathon in Disney.

Nervous, but excited!!!:eek:

fractal

Got in a 6 mile jog today. Great weather for a run - but t-storms tomorrow than hot and muggy the rest of the week.

DisneyRunner

Ran my 4 miles plus pick up. I paid more attention to my watch today and I'm faster than I thought. Which is good news to me. My half is on Saturday.

Erin_Akey

I did my personal best this morning! Still less than two weeks out of surgery. Went 3.7 miles and my pace was 14.7. I am wondering how long it will take to work up to 13.1 miles.

I am so excited to do the half. I just want to finish. i know i will never be able to run the whole thing though.

DisneyRunner

I completed my half today. The time was around 2:08. Official results are not posted online as of this time. I've used two different training programs. The first one is simple, 17 weeks. One day off, one long run and alternate days of cross training and 30-45 minute runs. The second plan I used for this half was more challenging. It increased the running to four days a week with tempo runs, moderate pace, fartlek, speed and pick ups. I added hills on some of the relaxed run days, because this half had a few hills. This was an 18 week program.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom