WDW Picture of the Day Thread (Part 5)

WTBAD

WDWMarch2008019.jpg

Gorjus

My shot for today was pretty boring (and honestly, still is) .

Figment, to lift the spirits of some of the other posters, you should post some of your shots before you edited them and some of the ones where you said...."nope, missed that."

A lot of photography is taking 10 photos to get one good one. This current round of photos I'm posting are a good example. I must have deleted 75% of them before I even took them off the memory card. And even still, they aren't all that great. I went to Fantasmic to shoot a friend in the show. It took me two shows to get the right seat and the right camera settings. And still, the limitations of my lens prevented me from getting a wow shot. But I still got better photos than any of her other friends who came with point and shoots.

We tend to post our best ones, but there are a ton that are only average that we take. And as in sports, sometimes it is better to be lucky than to be good.

Case in point: Great idea. Good timing (and knowing when to shoot). Bad framing, less than adequate lens. Great zoom, but not a wide enough apeture to balance out the low light.

IMG_0071.JPG

ChuckElias

The idea was to imply that the monorail is moving from the left of the frame to the right. I'm not sure how effectively I accomplished this
Since you can clearly see a family sitting in the front with the pilot, you know which way the monorail is traveling, so I'd say you accomplished it. :)

imamouse

Wow awesome shot! Don't see too many pics from the inside of this ride!

Haven't posted a pic in awhile so I can't remember if I have posted this one before... only 7 more days til I'm in the world and can get bunch of new shots :sohappy:

dw07.jpg

What a great picture. If it wasn't for Donald and the Fairy Godmother, it'd be an intimate pose of Cinderella and Prince Charming.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Figment, to lift the spirits of some of the other posters, you should post some of your shots before you edited them and some of the ones where you said...."nope, missed that."

A lot of photography is taking 10 photos to get one good one. This current round of photos I'm posting are a good example. I must have deleted 75% of them before I even took them off the memory card. And even still, they aren't all that great. I went to Fantasmic to shoot a friend in the show. It took me two shows to get the right seat and the right camera settings. And still, the limitations of my lens prevented me from getting a wow shot. But I still got better photos than any of her other friends who came with point and shoots.

We tend to post our best ones, but there are a ton that are only average that we take. And as in sports, sometimes it is better to be lucky than to be good.

Case in point: Great idea. Good timing (and knowing when to shoot). Bad framing, less than adequate lens. Great zoom, but not a wide enough apeture to balance out the low light.

It's odd how my out-of-the-camera photography widely varies. For most of my night shots that I've posted here, I've made very minimal adjustments (usually bringing out the shadows and darks, noise reduction, and sharpening - with increased saturation done in-camera). I usually get these shots right on the first try, and even if I didn't, I didn't want to sit around and take multiple long-exposures of the same scene, so I only have one of each scene.

While this is generally the case for my tripod night shots, I was processing a shot of the Haunted Mansion at night yesterday, and I did quite a bit to improve the shot (most places at WDW are fairly well lit at night--the Haunted Mansion is an exception). I will post both versions tomorrow for a comparison.

However, for my daylight shots on the last trip, I would usually fire several shots of the same scene, and I found that often, none of these shots were any good. The shots aren't that great because I often didn't choose a proper depth of field. In addition to my poor shooting, the sky was generally dull during the trip, and I didn't use a polarizing filter, so none of the shots really popped. When I do have a good daytime shot, I do more processing on it than I would a night shot.

Since I've started looking at others' photography more, I've learned more about manipulating aperture and focal length to change a picture's depth of field. Now that I actively consider this when taking a shot, I think my daytime photography has improved.

I don't know that there was really a point to this rambling post, just my general observations. But you're right about editing and selective elimination making one's photography look better. Even fine tuning of shots can really take them up a notch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom