TSI / Frontierland Addition

the-reason14

Unless they could somehow alternate, which I don't think is easily possible, then I rather they keep it the way it is. If they really need a sit down restaurant near or in Frontierland, then can't they build something elsewhere?

I'm not a big fan of the steamboat as I hardly ride it, but just having it there adds to the atmosphere. So for that reason alone I'm against them changing it to a restaurant.

Timon

Removing a working ride is the wrong direction. Adding, improving or expanding is the best way to deal with attractions that have become dull with time.

TSI - Expand Aunt Polly's to be Fast Service maybe serving BBQ favorites smoked and cooked in the restaurant. The smoke could be channeled out building chimneys not to mention the great smell. Not enough access to TSI - Why not take a page from DLP Big Thunder and add a tunnel under the river but as a walk thru "Smugglers Cave" with Efx maybe starting from the Keel Boat Dock building.

ROA boring - Plus it up with things to see like DL did. Certain Efx could be cued from the River Boat as part of the boat cruise only. Bring the Keel Boats back, maybe wider boats so they won't tip over and maybe hold more passengers. How about adding Mike Finks River Rat Cavern, this would be a indoor scene the Keel Boats sail into off the main river for a wild shoot out scene with explosions and fire. Also viewable by the WDW RR but not the River boat making the Keel Boats and Train unique.

Any old ride can be given new life with new technology and more creativity making the old even better.
River%252520Rat%252520Cavern%252520Site.jpg

I think they will wait to see how Gaston's Tavern and Be Our Guest perform before adding dining. Remember they still operate two counter service locations as seasonal dining one of which switches to table service during free dining (Tortuga Tavern and Tomorrowland Terrace) and still have a shuttered table service location in Adventureland.

The existing LibertyBelle would be a SMALL table service location once they added kitchen space. I could see them using it at night for privated catered functions though.

flavious27

Unless they could somehow alternate, which I don't think is easily possible, then I rather they keep it the way it is. If they really need a sit down restaurant near or in Frontierland, then can't they build something elsewhere?

I'm not a big fan of the steamboat as I hardly ride it, but just having it there adds to the atmosphere. So for that reason alone I'm against them changing it to a restaurant.

There are locations within FL they could add that TS. They could place a TS on the side of the courtyard that is in front of the FL train station.

flavious27

Removing a working ride is the wrong direction. Adding, improving or expanding is the best way to deal with attractions that have become dull with time.

TSI - Expand Aunt Polly's to be Fast Service maybe serving BBQ favorites smoked and cooked in the restaurant. The smoke could be channeled out building chimneys not to mention the great smell. Not enough access to TSI - Why not take a page from DLP Big Thunder and add a tunnel under the river but as a walk thru "Smugglers Cave" with Efx maybe starting from the Keel Boat Dock building.

ROA boring - Plus it up with things to see like DL did. Certain Efx could be cued from the River Boat as part of the boat cruise only. Bring the Keel Boats back, maybe wider boats so they won't tip over and maybe hold more passengers. How about adding Mike Finks River Rat Cavern, this would be a indoor scene the Keel Boats sail into off the main river for a wild shoot out scene with explosions and fire. Also viewable by the WDW RR but not the River boat making the Keel Boats and Train unique.

Any old ride can be given new life with new technology and more creativity making the old even better.
River%252520Rat%252520Cavern%252520Site.jpg

I like the idea of the tunnel, I think that it can part of a New Orleans section built between roa and hm.

JimboJones123

Except it`ll be the final nail in the coffin for water traffic.

As would the proposed TSI expansion that came with it...

Without Fink and Canoes, haven't we already been half way there for half of the park's existence any ways. Throw in dead Swan Boats and the waterway kinetic energy is 60% dead.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Without Fink and Canoes, haven't we already been half way there for half of the park's existence any ways. Throw in dead Swan Boats and the waterway kinetic energy is 60% dead.
Exactly. The Belle is the last bastion of anything interesting on the ROA.

juniorthomas

I can't agree more. IMO we already have one docked-boat-turned-restaurant on property (that doesn't interest me in the slightest) so repeating that with the Liberty Belle is pretty pointless to me. I think FL/LS would loose quite a bit if the boat was docked, and there are better places/ideas for restaurants that don't involve removing something else.

Yeah but the other docked-boat-turned-restaurant is in no mans land at the space formerly known as PI. (That's the one you're talking about, right? I can't think of any other boat restaurants, but I am fairly tired, so...)

An in-park boat restaurant would definitely fare better, wouldn't you think? Considerably more park guests would see this one

MickeyPeace

I can't agree more. IMO we already have one docked-boat-turned-restaurant on property (that doesn't interest me in the slightest) so repeating that with the Liberty Belle is pretty pointless to me. I think FL/LS would loose quite a bit if the boat was docked, and there are better places/ideas for restaurants that don't involve removing something else.

If you are referring to Fultons- it was never a real boat. It is a structure made to look like a boat. Good for the imagineers for fooling you!

You should try the food (excellent King Crab legs, oysters and bloody mary) and maybe it would interest you more.

eilie

Except it`ll be the final nail in the coffin for water traffic.

As would the proposed TSI expansion that came with it...

Exactly! I agree with Martin on this one. Losing the kinetics of the riverboat here would be a big loss.

I don't usually like to get involved in WDW vs. DL debates, but when I first visited Disneyland a few years back, I was blown away by how active and amazing the Rivers of America was. But at the same time, DL's Tomorrowland felt a little...quiet? or slow maybe, because there wasn't a peoplemover zipping overhead. Rides like those aren't major draws for the park, but they add theming, atmosphere, and a sense of authenticity to the land.

I'm not at all excited for the prospect of a docked riverboat restaurant. Perhaps that is because I am reminded of the tacky McDonalds and Burger King riverboat restaurants docked by the St. Louis Arch on the Mississippi River back in the 80s and 90s. This rumor just seems to fit the theme of late 20th century touristy Mississippi much more than Mark Twain's mid-19th century Mississippi, but maybe that's just me. :shrug:

Edit: What I don't want the Riverboat to look like:

card00384_fr.jpg

Buried20KLeague

I'm not going to read all of this thread, so I apologize if this has already been talked about, but...

I said months ago that I thought they should turn the boat into a dinner cruise at night. Do it so that you get a course per trip around the island. Bring the food over on carts from wherever it gets cooked (Harbor House? Liberty Tree?) and make a show out of it each time. Theme it to Princess and the Frog.

So basically, everyone boards and is seated. Drinks are poured. Out comes a string of people with carts loaded with salads and bread to music themed "New Orleans Style" to Princess and the frog. Maybe there's a host or hostess with a little dialogue, the carts get on board, and off the boat goes around the island. When the boat comes back to the dock, the carts go off for the next course, they're brought on in a similar style, off the boat goes. Same for the dessert. Maybe a dixieland jazz band plays on board while the boat circles the island.

It would be a unique dining experience, and the boat could be used as the normal attraction it currently is during the day.

And hearing the jazz from the shore and seeing the carts being taken over to the boat would INSTANTLY spur interest and additional business. No question.

I would think they'd make a TON doing this. I'd sign up right away.

Buried20KLeague

Exactly! I agree with Martin on this one. Losing the kinetics of the riverboat here would be a big loss.

I don't usually like to get involved in WDW vs. DL debates, but when I first visited Disneyland a few years back, I was blown away by how active and amazing the Rivers of America was. But at the same time, DL's Tomorrowland felt a little...quiet? or slow maybe, because there wasn't a peoplemover zipping overhead. Rides like those aren't major draws for the park, but they add theming, atmosphere, and a sense of authenticity to the land.

I'm not at all excited for the prospect of a docked riverboat restaurant. Perhaps that is because I am reminded of the tacky McDonalds and Burger King riverboat restaurants docked by the St. Louis Arch on the Mississippi River back in the 80s and 90s. This rumor just seems to fit the theme of late 20th century touristy Mississippi much more than Mark Twain's mid-19th century Mississippi, but maybe that's just me. :shrug:

Edit: What I don't want the Riverboat to look like:

card00384_fr.jpg

I spent many an afternoon on that McDonald's boat... Seeing that pic brought back memories!!

eilie

I spent many an afternoon on that McDonald's boat... Seeing that pic brought back memories!!

Me too! I loved it as a kid. I just don't want it in Frontierland :)

I love your idea for the riverboat dinner cruise though. It would be an amazing restaurant experience, especially with a jazz band playing. And it wouldn't destroy the ride - just enhance it. Heck, it could even just be a dessert party. I just hope they don't dock it.

juniorthomas

I'm not going to read all of this thread, so I apologize if this has already been talked about, but...

I said months ago that I thought they should turn the boat into a dinner cruise at night. Do it so that you get a course per trip around the island. Bring the food over on carts from wherever it gets cooked (Harbor House? Liberty Tree?) and make a show out of it each time. Theme it to Princess and the Frog.

So basically, everyone boards and is seated. Drinks are poured. Out comes a string of people with carts loaded with salads and bread to music themed "New Orleans Style" to Princess and the frog. Maybe there's a host or hostess with a little dialogue, the carts get on board, and off the boat goes around the island. When the boat comes back to the dock, the carts go off for the next course, they're brought on in a similar style, off the boat goes. Same for the dessert. Maybe a dixieland jazz band plays on board while the boat circles the island.

It would be a unique dining experience, and the boat could be used as the normal attraction it currently is during the day.

And hearing the jazz from the shore and seeing the carts being taken over to the boat would INSTANTLY spur interest and additional business. No question.

I would think they'd make a TON doing this. I'd sign up right away.

Ok, there it is. My retheming of TSI to be Princess and the Frog related was a bad call. Retheming the boat is a perfect fit. Tiana's Palace could actually exist there. You could get Louis on there to play trumpet, and you could have Naveen and Tiana eat with guests. Well done.

Timon

Turning the River Belle into a restaurant would never work. Big reason is it's too small for tables, curved decks, no bathrooms, no elevator. Look at the other TS restaurants, you need a certain number of tables to break even, you just can't fit that many on the boat.

A better idea is to build a proper sized real showboat with kitchens and dinner show which would cruise Bay Lake and 7 Seas with dockings at the MK after each show. It could be used for Moonlight Cruises, Fireworks viewing, Conventions and Private Parties. Now you have a boat restaurant that's cool.
WDW%252520Boats%252520-%252520Orlando-class%252520design%25252001.jpg

DL%252520Golden%252520Horseshoe.jpg

WDW%252520Moonlight%252520Cruise%25252001.jpg

NoChesterHester

Original Poster
Turning the River Belle into a restaurant would never work. Big reason is it's too small for tables, curved decks, no bathrooms, no elevator. Look at the other TS restaurants, you need a certain number of tables to break even, you just can't fit that many on the boat.

A better idea is to build a proper sized real showboat with kitchens and dinner show which would cruise Bay Lake and 7 Seas with dockings at the MK after each show. It could be used for Moonlight Cruises, Fireworks viewing, Conventions and Private Parties. Now you have a boat restaurant that's cool.

The highlighted items above would require a significant retrofit or more space than possible. Accessibility (elevator) would absolutely be required. Restrooms are definitely required in a food service establishment. If you don't want all the food catered in hot carts there would also need to be a kitchen. The hook ups to utilities would require the boat to be "docked" permanently.

Buried20KLeague

The highlighted items above would require a significant retrofit or more space than possible. Accessibility (elevator) would absolutely be required. Restrooms are definitely required in a food service establishment. If you don't want all the food catered in hot carts there would also need to be a kitchen. The hook ups to utilities would require the boat to be "docked" permanently.

I'd find it hard to believe they couldn't figure out some sort of inventive way to handle the table issue.

Why would accessibility be a factor now, but hasn't been a factor for the boat to this point?

The restroom thing would be an issue... But one that I'm sure they could solve. Small restrooms being built on the dock for just this purpose? Who knows.

It's be a heck of a lot cheaper for them to make some adjustments to make this boat work for this purpose than it would to build an entire new boat (permanently docked or not) as was suggested.

Buried20KLeague

I don't know how in the world you can talk about where a break even point would be without knowing what they might charge for an experience like this.

Add the Princess and the Frog characters and make the food decent, and I would see no reason you couldn't charge more than Hoop De Doo.

None of the other things your brought up seem like issues that couldn't be overcome.

flavious27

What boat was this?

flavious27

I don't know how in the world you can talk about where a break even point would be without knowing what they might charge for an experience like this.

Add the Princess and the Frog characters and make the food decent, and I would see no reason you couldn't charge more than Hoop De Doo.

None of the other things your brought up seem like issues that couldn't be overcome.

They would need to have it priced at the same price of hoop dee doo's cat 1. Well yes disney would be able to overcome any of the issues mentioned but it matters how much money it would take to retrofit the liberty belle. I think it would be cheaper and easier if they built a boat from scrap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom