TSI / Frontierland Addition

NoChesterHester

Original Poster
Lee mentioned in the "Lucasland" thread that plans for a Frontierland expansion or attraction were much further along in development then any Studios expansion.

At the request of Wizard I am creating a new thread for discussion on this topic.

Thoughts? Does this rumor have credence? What are people's thoughts regarding another potential expansion of the Magic Kingdom before the other parks needs are addressed?

NiarrNDisney

Well if this is true I personally don't see it happening for quite sometime.
I will say that certain areas are in for a little face lift like TSI and another attraction would be a nice addition.

DisneyparkFreak

I have no idea on the credibility to the rumor so I won't comment on that. However I do agree with the expansion of the MK. Its the most visited park in the world and the main reason people go to WDW to begin with. Expanding the park to me is a no brainer. However, I think there are a few things they need to seriously consider before investing another 3-500 million to the MK. They need to address the attractions they currently have and make sure they are up to serious guests expectations. TDO needs to have the mentality of - What would Walt think if he happened to show up today?

The second thing is table service dining options. There just isnt enough and even with the opening of BOG I feel that it will still be a problem.

Just a couple of thoughts, I hope they do. Would love to see the Frontierland expansion be awesome like Tony Baxter origionally planned 20-30 some years ago, but that is a wish that even disney magic cant make happen.

SeaCastle

According to FoxxFurr on Discussion Kingdom (and further backed by Lee) the Rivers of America project would includd the following:

- Demolishing Tom Sawyer Island and redeveloping it into a major attraction
- Filling in the back part of the Rivers of America for access to the attraction
- With the Riverboat now stationary, it would be converted into some kind of eatery

I think there was one more thing, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Chances are better than not that this won't happen...but it is a plan nonetheless that is being looked at, supposedly.

Spike-in-Berlin

I don't see any necessity to demolish TSI. It's a minor attraction, yes but many people, especially parents with children use it as a break during their MK-day. And I would like to know what kind of attraction should fit into that very specific footprint?

devoy1701

According to FoxxFurr on Discussion Kingdom (and further backed by Lee) the Rivers of America project would includd the following:

- Filling in the back part of the Rivers of America for access to the attraction
- With the Riverboat now stationary, it would be converted into some kind of eatery

I think there was one more thing, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Chances are better than not that this won't happen...but it is a plan nonetheless that is being looked at, supposedly.

Those sound horrible. I like the other version of that rumor better where the Rivers of America is partially redirected and some of the TSI area utilized to allow for a larger expansion plot to the North of Frontierland rather than completely removing TSI.

Also, I get that MK may be the reason to go to WDW for a lot of people, but that is reason enough to forgo farther expansion on the park after FLE and focus on expanding AK and bringing some closed spaces back to EPCOT.

flavious27

This is what was posted on the other forum:

FoxFurr said:
Hi Lee! Nice to see you here.

I heard some crazy stuff a year and a half ago that I shelved as farfetched and from an unreliable source (ie, gossip) but I thought I'd offer some of it here regardless as it seems related...

To begin with this entire rumor was based around the idea that Big Thunder Mountain would have to be rebuilt, which you can believe or not. The mountain's "infirmities" are somewhat substantial but nothing that a good long refurb couldn't fix.... Operations simply isn't willing to close it for the months of work it needs. And I wouldn't expect any of that to change until Fantasyland redistributes crowds. Personally I think I heard two unrelated rumors smushed together...

Anyway. I was told that Tom Sawyer Island would be redeveloped into a major new attraction, possibly something like what Hong Kong is getting a'la Grizzly Mountain or whatever it's called. This would involve the entire Rivers of America being more or less removed. There would still be a river and it would appear to go around the existing island but would terminate in the back to allow an access road to reach the new attraction.

This would result in the Riverboat being permanently docked and converted into some sort of restaurant. This has been discussed for years now and I know divers have been in the river as recently as last year to examine the feasibility of this. Then bridges would be built connecting the island to the mainland, allowing access to the E-Ticket. This is why fixing up the river scenes would be unnecessary; they'd be totally removed, along with the river, boat and rafts. This of course would accomplish the goal of opening up a LOT of land to pedestrian access and future expansion.

So Liberty Belle = New Restaurant
TSI = new attraction
new shops = on TSI, which is now accessible by bridges.

I don't have too much to say about all this except that if done correctly, the boat could make a nice restaurant especially if they add a motor to keep the paddlewheel turning and some steam effect to the smokestack to make it look like it's about to steam out of port. I'd be nice to see a more detailed River treatment as well... Disney could add some dynamics like mountainwork and waterfalls and it'd be interesting to see a version of the Rivers of America with clear mountain water and a rocky riverbed bottom instead of muddy green sludge. The MK Rivers of America haven't had any work since about 1998 and must be in terrible shape.

Also, opening up new shops and restaurants in more permanent locations could reduce the need for all those stands along the Frontierland riverfront, which you're hardly able to enjoy these days because of clutter and overdevelopment. This could restore some of the balance and scenic beauty to MK Frontierland.

Anyway. Those are my thoughts. Some stuff lost, some stuff gained. If WDI finds a home for the Beacon Joe showscene I'd be in support of a lot of what I've talked about above. Heck, they could take those River scenes and put them along the train tracks. There.

I don't expect Lee to compromise his standing by commenting on any of this, by the way, and I'm not going to believe any of it or get myself twisted into a fit until WDI goes out there and starts tearing stuff down, so consider this purely speculation.

With Lee's comments:

Lee said:
I'll allow FoxxFur's post to stand without comment.
Take that as you will...

Just a quick word of caution...

Lee said:
All of this is completely blue sky. Nowhere near being an ongoing project.
As my pal the Spirit would say, it has a better chance of showing up in a coffee table book than showing up in MK.

flavious27

I don't see any necessity to demolish TSI. It's a minor attraction, yes but many people, especially parents with children use it as a break during their MK-day. And I would like to know what kind of attraction should fit into that very specific footprint?

Agreed, I don't see tdo removing a FF area. TSI is fine as is, they could add a theater show based on the works of mark twain.

Lee

Adventurer
Does this rumor have credence?
Of course it does! 'Cause I said it!:lol:

And to further clarify:
Not exactly. I'm told of the attraction being built on the existing island.
Maybe. Guest access would be via bridge.
Yep. That is an early plan. Could face some issues there, though.

Three more points:
- Big Thunder isn't going anywhere.
- My info would suggest that the attraction on the island isn't anything like HK's Grizzly Mountain. Think more DCA-ish.
- The whole thing is still just a concept, and as I said, may never show up anywhere but the next Imagineering coffee-table book.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Anything like this is going to be a long way down the line. There have been talks of Frontierland additions for over 10 years now - and so far nothing has materialized. Fantasyland moved ahead of it, and I don't see MK getting another large attraction for a good few years after 2013.

juniorthomas

We need some Flavious27 map skills here. How much space is available at MK to expand frontierland?
ED. And then I found it -

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7806/mkexpandedfl.png

terp79

One of my friends developed a Tales of Ichabod Crane attraction for tsi...it was accessible via a new bridge that connected the island to Liberty Sq. He entered this concept into WDI ImagiNations 2006 Design Contest. . .I would be excited to see it happen. Doubtful that the theme would be Irving's LOSH but it's still cool. That this may happen.

So does the island have enough room for an E ticket attraction that would be something different than a coaster or flume ride? I just don't see the space to build a show building and the like...

Choodles

One of my friends developed a Tales of Ichabod Crane attraction for tsi...it was accessible via a new bridge that connected the island to Liberty Sq. He entered this concept into WDI ImagiNations 2006 Design Contest. . .I would be excited to see it happen. Doubtful that the theme would be Irving's LOSH but it's still cool. That this may happen.

So does the island have enough room for an E ticket attraction that would be something different than a coaster or flume ride? I just don't see the space to build a show building and the like...

I post elsewhere but have always read these boards. I used to work on TSI and it is Massive both Splash and BTMRR would fit on TSI with room to spare.

Thrill Seeker

I've said it before and I'll say it again... After working in Frontierland for 9 months, I can safely say that it doesn't need an expansion. In fact, Frontierland is actually one of the most popular and best structured lands in the park. With two of the biggest E-Tickets in the park (Splash and Thunder) plus two decent minor attractions and a good eatery, it's a solid land that doesn't need expansion. Tomorrowland and Adventureland could use it before Frontierland and all three of the other parks could use an expansion before MK.

eilie

Aerial:

Frontierland_aerial.jpg

Potential space available for expansion:

Frontierland_available_space.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom