To Infinity and Beyond: A May 2011 Pixar Weekend Trip Report

Less than one month after returning from my April trip, and just two months after our wedding/Disneymoon trip, Brett and I were back at the World. How’d it happen, you ask? Well, on a rainy Friday morning, two weeks prior to Pixar Weekend, Brett sent me an email detailing some of the rare characters expected at the event and ended it by stating that we should totally go. I think he was half joking, because my response, “Let’s do it,” isn’t really what he was expecting. We decided to meet up for lunch that day and after discussing expenses and planning out a budget, we realized a short three-day weekend trip was totally doable. Huzzah!

We booked an AP rate at CBR the very same day. However, after more discussion that evening, we decided to switch to a value resort and upgrade our APs to Premium passes with the extra money we would’ve spent on the moderate! We had planned to go to a water park at least once during this trip and decided that, the upcharge for premium passes would pay for themselves after two water park visits. And bonus… merch is 20% off with a premium pass!

What we didn’t do, was book a lot of ADRs. :eek: Shocking, I know! Instead, we decided to just go with the flow and save a little cash since it was a bonus trip. We made two ADRs (the Wave and Kona) and figured we’d just wing it from there.

Pixar Weekend here we come! Thursday, May 12 – Sunday, May 15. Scratch that… Monday, May 16. Yeah, once we got there we totally ended up adding another day. :D

The cast… Mr. and Mrs. Hollybelle!

IMG_4160.jpg

Oh yeah… two new minor obsessions came of this trip: Vinylmation trading and Pook-a-Looz love! But more on that later… right now, I have a little Pixar preview for anyone out there who may or may not have a panic attack if they have to wait much longer (I’m looking at you, Karen!).

Booooooo!

IMG_0437_1.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We arrived 10 minutes or so before World Showplace was set to open, and the line outside was surprisingly long. So we spent the time putting our plan of attack in place.

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

When the doors opened, we went straight for the Toy Story line, expecting that Mr. Potato Head would be out first. And our assumptions were correct. He and Lotso were there to greet us.

IMG_0684.jpg

Unlike most CMs, this one didn’t wait until after the photopass photog was through before taking a picture with my camera:

IMG_0691.jpg

After meeting the toys we headed over to get in line at Boo’s door. The CMs turned us away, saying the line was closed. I explained that we actually wanted to meet the other monsters and figured we would go ahead and get in line, he told us he was sorry, but the line was closed. All I can figure from this is that the Monsters line was so popular, they were trying to cut it off in hopes that people would hop in some of the other character lines. For example, the Incredibles, Mater and McQueen had next to no lines. To me, it was obvious why. Those characters can all be met at the Studios on any given day. Nonetheless, they were trying to distribute the crowd, so we decided to leave and come back later.

Personally, I thought Dug, Carl, and Russell would have the longest lines of the weekend, but it wasn’t even close. It was Boo all the way. Although, the Up characters were in a close second. And because we’d already met them all before (back when they were at DHS) we skipped their line and headed back out into World Showcase.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We were off in search of Slim and Gypsy. Probably the two characters we were apt to geek out over the most.

I spy a… stick. We were in luck; on the walkway between France and Morocco we spotted this guy walking through World Showcase:

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

It was hilarious because, due to his height, the photopass photog was set up across the path by the lake. I’m guessing this is what the hold up was all about the previous day. And they ended up not being able to figure out a better set up.

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

Seeing as how we had caught Slim at the beginning of his set, we figured we had time to hop over to America and meet Bullseye before Gypsy came out, so we headed that way. After standing in line for a few minutes, we witnessed the lady in front of us flip out when a CM said a) Jessie and Woody would be coming out first and b) there would be no autographs for the characters this weekend. CMs had been preaching this left and right in every line we’d gotten in up to this point, so it wasn’t really news… at least not to us. But for the lady in front of us, it was news. Big news. She was livid and cursing under her breath. It became quite comical (and uncomfortable) as the rest of us in line watched her throw her rental scooter back and forth between forward and reverse (think Austin Powers) as she rammed through the queue, cursing all the while about how ridiculous it was that autographs were not allowed. She even snapped at one poor fellow who tried to help her by moving the queue ropes.

Let’s just put it this way… I thought I was a character stalker. Apparently though, there’s a whole other breed of character stalkers that comes out for these events. :lookaroun :lol:

Before getting our toes ran over (no one was safe), Brett and I hopped out of line. We figured if we waited through the Jessie/Woody meet then we’d probably miss Gypsy. Seeing as how we’d met Bullseye before, we decided to change tracks and head back towards France.

Marie had next to no line when we got back to France, so we just had to stop. The lady in front of us was carrying around Dug – And Marie, not missing a beat, snatched him up and pawed at him a bit. Yes, Dug is wearing the “Cone of Shame.” Brilliant!

IMG_0713.jpg

She pawed at Brett a bit, too. :lol:

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We grabbed some water in the Patisserie and waited for Gypsy to make her appearance.

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

Time to get in line for Gypsy Moth – absolutely fabulous ensemble. Seriously, her wings are beautiful! So well done.

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

After meeting all the available bugs (one day I hope to meet Frances, Tuck & Roll), we trekked back to World Showplace to get in line for the last of the remaining monsters. When we got there, Boo was owning the crowd. Seriously, the adorable-ness of Boo has always been evident to me; however, I had not a clue how popular she would be. She was easily the star of Pixar Weekend. To the point where I was convinced she’d become a regular in the parks. Looks like that hasn’t happened though, so maybe not.

IMG_0739.jpg

We’d finally timed it right, and Smitty, Needleman, and Geoge P. Sanderson were out when we got to the front of the line.

IMG_0746.jpg

Favorite character pic of the trip:

IMG_0752.jpg

At this point, we felt like we had met all the characters on our list so we decided to head out. Overall, the Pixar Weekend celebration was nothing more than a character palooza, but we aren’t ones to complain about that. However, if you’re looking for something more out of an event like this, than I think you would be disappointed.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We were coming up on lunchtime and having trouble deciding on a counter service location that sounded appealing to either of us. After all, for two table service snobs, we’d already eaten at the two counter services in the park that speak to us: La Hacienda and Yakitori House.

I don’t know who said it first, but we decided on an old standby: Nine Dragons. Love this place – and bonus points… you can always get a walk-up table.

IMG_0763.jpg

It was kung pao chicken for Brett and the Nine Dragons fried rice for me.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

OM NOM NOM NOM!

IMG_0764.jpg

After lunch, where we toasted our ability to meet all the Pixar characters on our short list, we headed back to the resort to add a day to our vacation and get ready for Typhoon Lagoon!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
On our way over to the Lagoon the rain, rain, rain, came down, down, down! So much so that we hopped over to DTD instead. Leaving the camera in the car, I’m not entirely sure what we did at DTD. We weren’t there long before the rain let up, so we decided to head on over to TL. No doubt the place would be empty due to the rain. And it was.

P5140039.jpg

When we arrived, I found Lilo! And Brett found mini doughnuts!

P5140041.jpg

P5140040.jpg

P5140042.jpg

P5140044.jpg

We grabbed a seat over near the Leaning Palms counter service and gobbled up the doughnuts. They looked much better than they actually tasted. Oh well. On our way back to the entry area to grab a locker, Brett couldn’t resist meeting Lilo, too.

P5140045.jpg

And then it happened… the sky opened back up again and really started to pour. Looks like we weren’t going to get a people-free hour at Typhoon Lagoon after all. The trip wasn’t an entire waste, seeing as how we got to nom on some mini doughnuts and meet Lilo. :D

Love this picture of Castaway Creek. Oddly enough, it makes me think of doughnuts. :lol:

P5140046.jpg

Buh-bye Miss Tilly, maybe we’ll be seeing you tomorrow.

P5140050.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
For dinner that night we had ADRs at one of my favorites – The Kona Café! We arrived at the Poly and checked in for our 7:15pm reservation around 7:00pm. The CM told us it should only be a few minutes, and then we waited. And waited. And waited. Standing along the railing outside the restaurant we watched so many people who checked in after us, get seated before us. While I get this often happens based on ADR times and whatnot, it got to be a little ridiculous after awhile. Finally, after what seemed to be an eternity, we were seated just before 8:00pm.

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

The macadamia nut butter makes the bread service at Kona my absolute favorite!

IMG_0788.jpg

I know the long wait factored into it, but overall we seemed to have a very meh meal. And at one of my favorite places – sadness! We went with two of our favorite Kona dishes… the scallop/shrimp combo with POG (!) sauce. And the Tuna Oscar with fried green tomatoes and wasabi hollandaise. Again, it was just okay.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

By the time we got out of dinner, it was pretty much too late to hit up a park. We contemplated drinking around the monorail loop (a favorite pastime of mine!), but nixed it for some reason I can’t now recall. Instead, we ended up calling it an early night and headed back to the car. Actually, now I remember why we nixed the idea – without planning ahead for it, we’d driven to the Poly. And monorail hopping for drinks doesn’t go well with driving.

IMG_0795.jpg

Up next… we go to DHS. Bet you can’t guess why?! :eek: :lol:

tiaragirl

Isn’t it amazing how we associate a sense (whether it be smell, sound, etc.), with a memory? And how the combination of the two becomes the most powerful intoxicant we’ll ever know?!

Giiiirl don't make me go there, it's far less magical when you get into it ;)

This was a very nice bedtime story for me - I especially love how amazing Boo is. Karen, I appreciate your love for her.

You just bring me joy because I always have something to read <3 PS: love your skirt (bet you didn't see that one coming..).

joanna71985

Woohoo! Why didn't we get a picture together? I was kicking myself afterwards for that.

I have no idea!! I wish I had thought about that then. I swear we will get a picture one of these days

Boo wasn’t the only celebrity we met that day… while in line I heard “Hollybelle?” and turned to see Joanna! Hooray! She wasn’t too far ahead of us in line and we dished about Pixar Weekend for a bit before the line twisted in a way that took us away from one another. Greetings, Joanna, it was so great to have finally met you! I hope you managed to catch all the Pixar Pals over the course of the weekend.

It was great seeing the two of you!! I was able to get all the characters I wanted (though I had to go through the Monsters line 4 times to get all 6).

Ariel484

Coke with breakfast! Love it! :sohappy: And I second what Kenzie said, fabulous skirt.

Speaking of love...those Monster's Inc. and Bug's Life pics...so jealous!! :)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Why on earth would you go to DHS again? :lol:

:lookaroun :lol: :D

Giiiirl don't make me go there, it's far less magical when you get into it ;)

So true... but let's not think like that!

This was a very nice bedtime story for me - I especially love how amazing Boo is. Karen, I appreciate your love for her.

You just bring me joy because I always have something to read <3 PS: love your skirt (bet you didn't see that one coming..).

Thanks, Kenzie. Skirts are so comfortable. Random fact... I've worn a skirt/dress on every single day of my past five trips. :eek: They're just so much more comfortable than shorts.

I have no idea!! I wish I had thought about that then. I swear we will get a picture one of these days

It was great seeing the two of you!! I was able to get all the characters I wanted (though I had to go through the Monsters line 4 times to get all 6).

4 times!? I guess I didn't realize how lucky we had gotten, only having to hit it up twice. Although, I guess we did have to leave World Showplace and come back a few times due to the Monsters line.

Coke with breakfast! Love it! :sohappy: And I second what Kenzie said, fabulous skirt.

Speaking of love...those Monster's Inc. and Bug's Life pics...so jealous!! :)

I'm totally a Diet Dr. Pepper for breakfast kind of girl! It's like my own personal crack/cocaine addiction. I settle for coke, which is also delicious, when I'm at the World because they still have yet to recognize the awesomeness of DDP. No coffee for me.

Thanks, Shannon!

Just got back from my trip so I'm catching up on yours. Love the report and great pics!!

Thanks, Glenn. Ughhh... don't you just hate coming down off the high of a great trip?!

fractal

Pictures with Slim are great!

Kona is on our list of restaurants we want to do but never have. On our list for next trip.

PolynesianPrincess

Now that you mention it, we had very slow service at Kona Cafe in May. Our ADR was for 8:20 and I think we were seated around 8:45. We actually saw several parties of 3-4 who checked in after us and were seated before us and also a walk up of 4 people were seated before us and we had 3 people. We ended up sitting at a 4 seater, of course, so I dont understand why the walk up was seated before us. :shrug:

tiaragirl

:

Thanks, Kenzie. Skirts are so comfortable. Random fact... I've worn a skirt/dress on every single day of my past five trips. :eek: They're just so much more comfortable than shorts.

I have become one with skirts - however, I am more of a skirt at MK and EPCOT kind of girl than at DHS and AK. I run around DHS like a crazy person (because it's my fav), and there's something about a wet skirt at AK that does not appeal to me.. also, sometimes I get concerned that I will flash small children when getting on/off rollercoasters..

Like Space Mountain.

Similarly, more pictures are taken (usually) on MK/EPCOT days so those are the days where you have to look nice..

Yeeeep.. I really shouldn't share my rationales because it's just super embarrassing. ;)

TheMouseFan

We actually did eat at the Studio Catering Co. this past trip. The kids were "going to die" because they were so hungry after doing the Jedi Training Academy and that was the first place we came to on our way to redeem our TSMM fastpasses. It was okay, but nothing we'll be rushing back to try again. The kids were upset because the Smuckers Uncrustables were still frozen and they were forced to eat the oh so delicious chicken nuggets for lunch! Oh well, lesson learned!

Also a Coke kind of girl for breakfast. Coffee is definitely not my thing.

Great TR! I'm really enjoying all of your photos.

joanna71985

4 times!? I guess I didn't realize how lucky we had gotten, only having to hit it up twice. Although, I guess we did have to leave World Showplace and come back a few times due to the Monsters line.

Yeah...funny story about that. I was there first thing (I was one of the people who waited outside Showplace before it opened), and it was only Mike/Sulley and George/Smitty out. So I had to go back in line again for Boo and Needleman. Of course, you saw the reception Boo got (I wasn't about to miss that). :eek:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Pictures with Slim are great!

Kona is on our list of restaurants we want to do but never have. On our list for next trip.

Slim was pretty amazing. I can't imagine the talent it takes to manage the decrease in visibility with those loooooong legs. :animwink:

Kona is still one of my favorites - and one of the best things about it is that every single meal there is good. We love breakfast and lunch, as much as dinner. I just think we/they were having an off night in this particular case. I'd still totally recommend the restaurant.

Now that you mention it, we had very slow service at Kona Cafe in May. Our ADR was for 8:20 and I think we were seated around 8:45. We actually saw several parties of 3-4 who checked in after us and were seated before us and also a walk up of 4 people were seated before us and we had 3 people. We ended up sitting at a 4 seater, of course, so I dont understand why the walk up was seated before us.

Isn't that the worst!? It's so frustrating to see other people be seated when you feel like it should be you. I'm sure, in most cases, there is a reason. But this time around for us it got so bad that we went back up to "check" and make sure we were still on the list.

I have become one with skirts - however, I am more of a skirt at MK and EPCOT kind of girl than at DHS and AK. I run around DHS like a crazy person (because it's my fav), and there's something about a wet skirt at AK that does not appeal to me.. also, sometimes I get concerned that I will flash small children when getting on/off rollercoasters..

Like Space Mountain.

Similarly, more pictures are taken (usually) on MK/EPCOT days so those are the days where you have to look nice..

Yeeeep.. I really shouldn't share my rationales because it's just super embarrassing. ;)

Love your rational - right there with you girl. Space Mountain is, by far, the hardest ride to get on/off with a skirt or dress on. And Test Track is surprisingly more difficult than one might think. I believe I relayed this in a past report, but the Sum of all Thrills was not designed with skirt-wearers in mind. :eek:

I'm right there with you in terms of thinking about which days I should wear which outfits based on the perceived number of photos taken. :lookaroun :lookaroun :lol: We can't possibly be the only ones!

We actually did eat at the Studio Catering Co. this past trip. The kids were "going to die" because they were so hungry after doing the Jedi Training Academy and that was the first place we came to on our way to redeem our TSMM fastpasses. It was okay, but nothing we'll be rushing back to try again. The kids were upset because the Smuckers Uncrustables were still frozen and they were forced to eat the oh so delicious chicken nuggets for lunch! Oh well, lesson learned!

Also a Coke kind of girl for breakfast. Coffee is definitely not my thing.

Great TR! I'm really enjoying all of your photos.

Aha! So someone has eaten there. Good to know. Gotta understand the kids rationale though, I mean, fighting off Darth Vader certainly works up an appetite. :D

Thanks!

Yeah...funny story about that. I was there first thing (I was one of the people who waited outside Showplace before it opened), and it was only Mike/Sulley and George/Smitty out. So I had to go back in line again for Boo and Needleman. Of course, you saw the reception Boo got (I wasn't about to miss that).

I realized Boo was MIA for the first few sets, but I didn't realize Needleman was, as well. Hmmm. And yeah, Boo's first appearance was something for the books. I'm glad we got to see that.

Umm....:lookaroun

I know, right? :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom